IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

nice warmup coming for cali - back into the high 70s

trioderob

Let's hope so! I could use a little sunshine considering it's been either rainy, foggy or cloudy the past month. BOOOO!

• Upvote 1

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

I'm excited about the long range forecast...lots of daytime warmth and milder than normal night time temperatures; about as good as it gets in January. :D

• Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

It's about time! I've been freezing my ass off the past two weeks. It's been so cool and humid that large patches of moss are growing on some of my large rocks that have never had it before.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Today was nice and tomorrow into the weekend looks quite comfortable w/ projected maximums in the 80's. Probably the warmest readings in the U.S. [outside Hawaii] were in California today.

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Lots of 80's across southern California again w/ Santa Ana the warmest I could find at 86F\ 30C. Probably the most significant temperature was 72F\ 22.2C at Montgomery Field in San Diego city for a minimum this morning. Steady winds all night can produce toasty conditions.

My place:

84F\ 28.8C

62F\ 16.6C

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Lots of 80's across southern California again w/ Santa Ana the warmest I could find at 86F\ 30C. Probably the most significant temperature was 72F\ 22.2C at Montgomery Field in San Diego city for a minimum this morning. Steady winds all night can produce toasty conditions.

My place:

84F\ 28.8C

62F\ 16.6C

Sounds so nice...particularly those balmy night time lows.

• Upvote 1

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

My place:

84F\ 28.8C

62F\ 16.6C

We're definitely enjoying the warm winter weather here in San Diego! It's suppose to be warm all through next week.

• Upvote 1

67F here (Avg. is 47F!!) The long-range forecast looks frost-free until Feb. It likely won't freeze again for another 10-11 months :D

• Upvote 1

Adam 

We're having the same glorious weather here, perhaps a little cooler at 23-25C with overnight lows of 8-10C. I'm hoping it will be more like winter 2007 when we had only 3 days of rain in early Feb. A big cold dip expected for next weekend 12C / 5C.

NWS_SD corrected their report of temperatures from a few days ago. The minimum at Montgomery Field was not 72F but rather 47F; big difference! I thought it odd for that part of San Diego to be so warm at night since it is not in an area where offshore winds normally occur. But minimums above 70F\ 21.1C have again occurred this morning in the usual windy areas of metro Los Angeles, Ventura county and inland areas around Rialto and Rancho Cucamonga.

Today may be the last day with maximums in the 80's though it should stay warm well into the week. My fear is that the prospects for rainfall look dim for another week or two.

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I think we peaked today w/ some areas reaching or slightly exceeding 90F\ 32.2C; almost too hot for mid-winter but the air is very dry.

89F\ 31.6C

66F\ 18.8C

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

NWS_SD corrected their report of temperatures from a few days ago. The minimum at Montgomery Field was not 72F but rather 47F; big difference! I thought it odd for that part of San Diego to be so warm at night since it is not in an area where offshore winds normally occur. But minimums above 70F\ 21.1C have again occurred this morning in the usual windy areas of metro Los Angeles, Ventura county and inland areas around Rialto and Rancho Cucamonga.

Today may be the last day with maximums in the 80's though it should stay warm well into the week. My fear is that the prospects for rainfall look dim for another week or two.

The low temp at Montgomery Field, San Diego was 55ºF(12.8ºC) on Jan. 15, 2011. It is located in an area that gets quite a bit of off-shore winds (Santa Ana's). I know this because I used to work next to Montgomery Field for many years.

Edited by Palms1984
  • Upvote 1

i dont see what the weather now has to do with the weather at some point in the future.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

i dont see what the weather now has to do with the weather at some point in the future.

if it was 85 everyday in march you would not be wondering about summer ?

:blink:

• Upvote 1

1st of all its not,second of all NO i wouldnt.

todays weather does not have anything to do with the weather months & months away other than the fact that it'll be

a different season then.

still "warning-free."

1st of all its not,second of all NO i wouldnt.

todays weather does not have anything to do with the weather months & months away other than the fact that it'll be

a different season then.

how do you know they are not related ?

are you stating this as a Scientific fact or do you just have a strong feeling?

Edited by trioderob
  • Upvote 1

I don't think the weather in January has any impact whatsoever on the weather in July. There have been warm winters but not warmer than normal summers in the same year. And this January started off very chilly. For example, I recorded a maximum of only 51F\ 10.5C on 1/2/11. We normally experience winter heat waves in southern California but that does not mean the rest of winter will be warm and certainly has no impact on temperatures for the rest of the year.

But the long-range looks to be dry, sunny and a bit above normal for the next 7 days per the models. I could not find any 90's today but several stations came close [i.e. Riverside: 89F\ 31.6C, Indio: 88F\ 31.1C & Rialto, Lake Forest & Simi Valley: 87F\ 30.5C].

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

well we already have 1 post in support of my position(see above post). :)

still "warning-free."

OK, thanks for pointing that out because I would have missed it. :lol::lol::bemused:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

NWS is hinting at the possibility of no rainfall thru the rest of the month which would mean only one day of rainfall all month that occurred on Jan 3rd! I sure hope that the pattern breaks soon even though the warm sunny days are great for palm growth. We have had winters that start out wet and then completely switch over to arid conditions especially during La Nina conditions. I am encouraged however by this report from the San Diego NWS office today:

"OUTLOOK FOR THURSDAY JAN 26 THROUGH SUNDAY JAN 30... THE MODELS ARE STARTING TO GO OUT OF PHASE...BUT GENERALLY INDICATING THE RIDGE WILL BE PROGRESSIVE AND MAY BE UNDERCUT. A SHORT WAVE THAT DROPS SOUTH AND FORMS A CUTOFF LOW OVER NW MEXICO RETROGRADES TOWARDS THE SW AND EVENTUALLY A TROPICAL UPPER TROPOSPHERIC TROUGH...TUTT FOR SHORT...DEVELOPS THAT EXTENDS WSW ACROSS THE EASTERN PACIFIC. THE KONA LOW CURRENTLY NEAR THE BIG ISLAND OF HAWAII AS WELL AS MOISTURE FURTHER TO THE SOUTHWEST MIGHT BE ENTRAINED BY THE STRENGTHENING SUBTROPICAL JET STREAM. WILL HAVE TO KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR PRECIPITATION THREATS WITH PHASING OF SOUTHERN AND NORTHERN STREAMS...OTHERWISE THE HIGH PRESSURE RIDGE/CELL TO THE NORTH WILL CONTINUE TO SHIELD SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA FROM THE MIGRATORY SYSTEMS CAUGHT UP IN THE WESTERLIES AND FAIR WEATHER WILL PREVAIL".

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Still managed to reach 80F\ 26.6C or above in places across southern California and more of the same this week. It's nice to have mid-winter warmth but our lack of rainfall is becoming worrisome. Nonetheless, we are day by day progressing toward Springtime and away from historic possibilities for cold and frost.

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Still managed to reach 80F\ 26.6C or above in places across southern California and more of the same this week. It's nice to have mid-winter warmth but our lack of rainfall is becoming worrisome. Nonetheless, we are day by day progressing toward Springtime and away from historic possibilities for cold and frost.

Our past winter was not quite that warm, but it was dry. The driest in history almost. For a winter rainfall climate it was disasterous to dam levels. What are your min's? We had an almost unending run of nights below 5C and things really suffered from it, despite being a couple of degrees warmer during the day than average. I lost one bottle palm. Normally we may have 2 or maybe 3 nights in a row below 5C then it would bounce back to 8-10C, but last winter we had weeks in a row below 5C. Horrible.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Our past winter was not quite that warm, but it was dry. The driest in history almost. For a winter rainfall climate it was disasterous to dam levels. What are your min's? We had an almost unending run of nights below 5C and things really suffered from it, despite being a couple of degrees warmer during the day than average. I lost one bottle palm. Normally we may have 2 or maybe 3 nights in a row below 5C then it would bounce back to 8-10C, but last winter we had weeks in a row below 5C. Horrible.

Best regards

Tyrone

Hi Tyrone,

I thought that ENSO\ La Nina conditions historically results in wetter than normal winters for Australia? The summer rains over eastern sections of Australia were incredible and got lots of TV\ media coverage in the U.S. Remarkable rainfall also occurred during December in California but it has been bone-dry ever since and the pattern just doesn't want to change. There were two relatively brief cold spells so far this winter with frost in the usual low-lying calm areas [late November and late December\ early Jan]. I know downtown Los Angeles recorded a minimum of 38F\ 3.3C one morning late last month but I don't think San Diego has been below 40F this winter. During this 2-week warm spell nights have been fairly seasonable [mostly 40's-low 50's] except in the foothills. For example it was just slightly below 50F\ 10C downtown this morning but only 61F\ 16.1C up at Getty Center [west Los Angeles] due to elevation and steady winds all night. I have not recorded a minimum below 50F in several weeks with several nights well above 60F due to my hilltop location.

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Today was the first day in 17 days that the maximum was not above 70F\ 21.1C. The high pressure ridge is breaking down enough to allow a weak storm to move into California but rainfall looks meager. There is cold air behind the front and some weather models predict very chilly temperatures for the Southwest while others forecast quick warming by mid-week. Either way it looks like dry weather will prevail.

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

This will be the 3rd day that the winter chill came back to N. Calif. The highs for the past two days have only reached 55 with fog and haze. I'm getting spotty showers right now with more expected later in the day. I'm getting more rain from this weak front than I expected. A warm up expected later next week.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

The rain has been quite heavy occasionally here for several hours. It's been so warm and dry otherwise that I was going to need to water again this weekend but won't have to now. Only made it to 63F yesterday and today will undoubtably stay in the 50s. WeatherUnderground predicts we'll see 70's again by late in the week in my part of Northern CA.

• Upvote 1

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Light rain has reached metro Los Angeles late this morning; well ahead of the forecast. A wet chilly day should be followed by clear skies but blustery temps for several days. California is on the periphery of a huge arctic airmass dropping south in the Central Plains and migrating west of the Rocky mountains. Las Vegas and Phoenix may experience the coldest temps of winter this week and our rather insignificant storm could produce blizzard conditions over the Midwest and Northeast later this week. Some of the computer models pull that frigid air westward into California but, as usual, the National Weather Service is playing it conservative and forecasting minimums well above freezing over southern California. This could turn out to be a very cold week nonetheless.

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Light rain has reached metro Los Angeles late this morning; well ahead of the forecast. A wet chilly day should be followed by clear skies but blustery temps for several days. California is on the periphery of a huge arctic airmass dropping south in the Central Plains and migrating west of the Rocky mountains. Las Vegas and Phoenix may experience the coldest temps of winter this week and our rather insignificant storm could produce blizzard conditions over the Midwest and Northeast later this week. Some of the computer models pull that frigid air westward into California but, as usual, the National Weather Service is playing it conservative and forecasting minimums well above freezing over southern California. This could turn out to be a very cold week nonetheless.

Actually, it is going to warm up significantly towards the end of the week.

• Upvote 2

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Yes, that's what I've been seeing on virtually every online weather service that I check daily (Intellicast, Weather Underground, Accuweather, Weather Channel, and local TV stations online).

Happ, I couldn't find any model showing the cold air making it further west than the Rockies. What weather source are you using?

• Upvote 1

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Yes, that's what I've been seeing on virtually every online weather service that I check daily (Intellicast, Weather Underground, Accuweather, Weather Channel, and local TV stations online).

Happ, I couldn't find any model showing the cold air making it further west than the Rockies. What weather source are you using?

Hi Jim,

The computer models have been struggling with the arctic airmass but it appears that it will come very close to California, especially southern California. Here's an excerpt from NWS_SD:

. . . A STRONG SHORTWAVE...CONNECTED TO THE BROAD DEEP TROUGH OVER E/CENTRAL CANADA/NE US...WILL MOVE SOUTH OVER THE INTERIOR WEST AND CUT OFF SOMEWHERE IN THE SW US. MODELS HAVE BEEN VERY DIVERGENT WITH SOLUTIONS...BUT MOST MODEL RUNS...INCLUDING THE 12Z/18Z NAM AND THE ECM HAS BEEN LEANING TOWARDS A VERY COLD CLOSED LOW OVER ARIZONA FOR WED. NAM AND LOCAL WRF HAVE 850 MB TEMPS AS LOW AS -11C\ 12.2F OVER THE HIGH DESERTS WITH A STRONG GRADIENT OVER THE MTN CRESTS AND TEMPS NEAR 0C\ 32F OVER THE COAST WED...BUT ECM LOOKS LIKE A BETTER SOLUTION WITH TEMPS AROUND -7C\ 19.4F OVER THE HIGH DESERTS. 12Z GFS IS STILL THE OUTLIER WITH THE UPPER LOW FURTHER NE AND TEMPS AT 850 MB AROUND -3C\ 26.6F IN THE UPPER DESERTS. SURFACE PRESSURE GRADIENTS COULD BE OVER 10 MB OFFSHORE FROM LAS VEGAS TO SAN DIEGO. THIS WOULD RESULT IN HIGH WINDS...WITH GUSTS OF POSSIBLY 80 MPH BELOW THE CAJON PASS OR IN THE SANTA ANA MTNS...THOUGH CONFIDENCE OF THIS IS STILL FAIRLY LOW. TEMPS WILL LIKELY BE QUITE LOW ON WED WITH 50S TO LOWER 60S AT LOWER ELEVATIONS AND POSSIBLY NOT EVEN 40F FOR HIGHS IN THE UPPER DESERTS. BELOW FREEZING TEMPS ARE LIKELY TO OCCUR IN WIND SHELTERED VALLEY LOCATIONS WED NIGHT...THOUGH WINDS ARE LIKELY TO CONTINUE THEN BELOW PASSES/CANYONS. SOME WARMING WILL OCCUR LATE IN THE WEEK AS THE STRONG RIDGE OVER THE E PAC BUILDS EAST...AND MOSTLY OFFSHORE FLOW SHOULD CONTINUE...THOUGH ANOTHER SOUTHWARD MOVING SHORTWAVE OVER THE INTERIOR WEST COULD ENHANCE THE OFFSHORE FLOW EARLY NEXT WEEK.

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Hi Jim,

The computer models have been struggling with the arctic airmass but it appears that it will come very close to California, especially southern California. Here's an excerpt from NWS_SD:

. . . A STRONG SHORTWAVE...CONNECTED TO THE BROAD DEEP TROUGH OVER E/CENTRAL CANADA/NE US...WILL MOVE SOUTH OVER THE INTERIOR WEST AND CUT OFF SOMEWHERE IN THE SW US. MODELS HAVE BEEN VERY DIVERGENT WITH SOLUTIONS...BUT MOST MODEL RUNS...INCLUDING THE 12Z/18Z NAM AND THE ECM HAS BEEN LEANING TOWARDS A VERY COLD CLOSED LOW OVER ARIZONA FOR WED. NAM AND LOCAL WRF HAVE 850 MB TEMPS AS LOW AS -11C\ 12.2F OVER THE HIGH DESERTS WITH A STRONG GRADIENT OVER THE MTN CRESTS AND TEMPS NEAR 0C\ 32F OVER THE COAST WED...BUT ECM LOOKS LIKE A BETTER SOLUTION WITH TEMPS AROUND -7C\ 19.4F OVER THE HIGH DESERTS. 12Z GFS IS STILL THE OUTLIER WITH THE UPPER LOW FURTHER NE AND TEMPS AT 850 MB AROUND -3C\ 26.6F IN THE UPPER DESERTS. SURFACE PRESSURE GRADIENTS COULD BE OVER 10 MB OFFSHORE FROM LAS VEGAS TO SAN DIEGO. THIS WOULD RESULT IN HIGH WINDS...WITH GUSTS OF POSSIBLY 80 MPH BELOW THE CAJON PASS OR IN THE SANTA ANA MTNS...THOUGH CONFIDENCE OF THIS IS STILL FAIRLY LOW. TEMPS WILL LIKELY BE QUITE LOW ON WED WITH 50S TO LOWER 60S AT LOWER ELEVATIONS AND POSSIBLY NOT EVEN 40F FOR HIGHS IN THE UPPER DESERTS. BELOW FREEZING TEMPS ARE LIKELY TO OCCUR IN WIND SHELTERED VALLEY LOCATIONS WED NIGHT...THOUGH WINDS ARE LIKELY TO CONTINUE THEN BELOW PASSES/CANYONS. SOME WARMING WILL OCCUR LATE IN THE WEEK AS THE STRONG RIDGE OVER THE E PAC BUILDS EAST...AND MOSTLY OFFSHORE FLOW SHOULD CONTINUE...THOUGH ANOTHER SOUTHWARD MOVING SHORTWAVE OVER THE INTERIOR WEST COULD ENHANCE THE OFFSHORE FLOW EARLY NEXT WEEK.

One night in the upper 30s is nothing. A walk in the park.

• Upvote 2

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Southern California may manage to dodge this bitterly cold arctic bullet but it will be very close. Some of the desert areas could drop well below freezing and calm areas west of the mountains may experience frost. NWS_SD is predicting freezing or slightly below freezing temps in places like Temecula, Oceanside, Escondido by Thursday morning. Very strong winds may be the worst weather for most areas. So even without frost there could be some damage to palms by winds gusts up to and exceeding 50MPH. :o

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

weather.com has me seeing 29F on Wednesday night. My lowest forecast this year. Accuweather is saying 33F. Either way this is one to watch, maybe pull a few of pots in the garage.

• Upvote 1

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Tonight could be the worst of this episode. The airmass is extremely dry with dew points down to -0 in places and the wind is lowering. The low humidity may prevent frost but minimums below freezing may be more widespread by tomorrow morning especially in the desert areas. Today both Las Vegas and Phoenix recorded maximums in the 40's. West of the mountains most areas were in the 60's and tomorrow may warm up a bit more after a very chilly morning. This weekend looks quite nice with temps in the 70's all the way up to the Bay Area and some 80's here and there.

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23