IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

what happened to the flood thread ?

aussiearoids

:unsure: Lokks like the end of the world here :blink:

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

We're in a flood plain here and we had to evacuate about 15 years ago but what's happened in Australia does seem biblical in magnitude.

I pray that things dry out soon and people can get back home. The little frost I had here yesterday morning seems like nothing.

• Upvote 1

One third of Queensland has been declared a Disaster Zone with worse predicted to come...probably an area the size of California under water.

Hope you guys up there are hanging on tight.

Good luck to you all.

Cheers,

Jonathan

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

Yeah, where did it go, and where is the explanation?????

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I sincerely hope all of you in the path of the waters are OK. Truly unbelieveable.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

See my post #46 in the other thread.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I see the main Aussie flood thread is back up.

I thought I would mention here that when we were in Uluru (near Ayers Rock in the Central Australian Desert) the tour guide mentioned that those who had climbed Ayers Rock might have noticed the small pools of water located on the rock in various places had small shrimp swimming in them. He said while it might seem totally out of place for shrimp to be located in the central desert on top of Ayers Rock, it went back to the flood times when the waters from up north (like Darwin) flooded south and encompassed what is now the huge desert region. The shrimp laid eggs before they died and now everytime it rains, the water that flows into and recreates these pool areas on Ayers Rock gives life to the eggs that were deposited during some prior wet period. Well that's what I remember being told anyway. That would be some massive flooding too to reach central Australia like that.

Flooding on a grand scale is not unheard of here in California either. I remember attending a USGS lecture on the Great Flood of 1862 that discussed how California's Central Valley from Sacramento down south was flooded in the past (encompassing the Sacramento Valley and the San Joaquin valleys for 300 miles, averaging 20 miles wide). A lot of people living here aren't aware of this historical accounting. It bankrupted the State of California back then. Here's a few links to the Flood of 1862 if you're interested: A Report of the Fortnightly Club of Redlands; Recent LA Times article

Edited by WestCoastGal

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14