IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Where are people growing Kerriodoxa elegans?

kylecawazafla

I have one in a heated area indoors, in Utah. Germinated from seed forming the first strap-leaf.

I trekked into the jungle to see these in the wild and boy they are just awesome in the wild. I should dig out some pics.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I grew this as a test in 9a Mississippi, planted in 2006, and each year it endured three months of cold, wet soil (50-degree isotherm in winter) but protected under a line of cherry-laurel trees, which kept frost off of them. If my memory serves, they took damage somewhere around 25-26, defoliated around 23, but pushed right back up in spring. Obviously since it's a clustering palm it has at least the possibility of sending up new stems after any kill-outs. It made it through the horrible winter of 2010 (18F, 64 continuous hours below freezing) as my notes say it came back up in 2011. I did ultimately lose it at a later point, but I have just forgotten the details of its demise, I think probably from drying out, as that area got little rain and I wasn't watering it regularly. But I would say it is certainly one of those "unexpectedly hardy" palms from a very tropical area (others in that region are, such as Licuala peltata). 

• Like 2

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

I have some in La Habra; they’re definitely slow, but, as noted a lot tougher and more adaptable than you might expect .

My small one and my big one.

52CD7D1D-F519-4372-B5E1-4FC766A9EDAA.thumb.jpeg.eb6dec8bf76e0154c1c462afb5fdbda8.jpeg

C831BD91-FDA4-4D4C-84C3-B9D7251D1DE0.thumb.jpeg.6f61975f6717fa60b8b1d2d83b1aa2db.jpeg

• Like 4

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2021 at 3:26 PM, realarch said:

Just a, ‘jaw dropping’, palm and boy, if you can grow it, don’t hesitate. The only drama I want in my life would be in the garden, and Kerriodoxa does it well.

Tim

60347713-7DEE-4A00-834E-C2D8C4979BF2.jpeg

I can't write WOW big enough, just gorgeous and that just from the top,

the stems,trunk and undersides make this a sight to behold for sure.

They also do well as house plants...but really glad to hear its so hardy too!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Heres a pic of mine I got a few years back...petiole is 20" leaf is about 28" wide..

I could see it putting out a 3' leaf by summer/falls end. Love these palms!

qqUB4Bj.jpg?1

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

Bump

This thread kinda dropped off....anymore pictures?

If someone can dig out some more pics that would be great:D

These are my two Kerriodoxa. This is a solitary palm species. Very slow growing.

Front Yard, 2012

67481333_Kerriodoxaelegans0312-16-12.JPG.815453e0ea78b3cbdadf0ebb9d6303ac.JPG1069690038_Kerriodoxaelegansleaf0105-28-20.thumb.JPG.21b5f5ebb696fb31c24dae3b8fc043a0.JPG926727705_Kerriodoxaelegans0412-16-12.JPG.f3e62ecd50c03ff2a40c62a9ea0820b8.JPG

Back Yard, 2018, 2020, 2021

1747576021_Kerriodoxaelegans0110-18-18.thumb.jpg.3dae0dffa4e50318f18b1b7f0f0c88a7.jpg281912782_Kerriodoxaelegansleaf0105-28-20.thumb.JPG.1c8a782705d6aa8807c43e62bda60315.JPG2061672820_Kerriodoxaelegans0101-01-21.thumb.JPG.f23dcbbed24250ba19b594fa985d764e.JPG

• Like 10
  • Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I have one Kerriodoxa Elegans in my yard.  It was in the SE corner in very sandy soil and under two 80' pines.  It did not grow very much, and when I had the pines taken down in January I had to move it.  So I planted it under the canopy of my SW side Beccariophoenix Alfredii.  The ratty leaves are from 28F with frost in December, then a transplant, then 30F with heavy frost in February.  But it's opened one pretty nice looking new leaf already, so it seems to like the new home!

1830075199_P1070954KerriodoxaElegans.thumb.JPG.499a09e68b0b8f2e95baf542c0eac876.JPG

• Like 2

I'll have to second Realarch's comments. When given comfy growing conditions 365 days a year plus Biblical amounts of rain, this is not all that slow and eventually gets some size. This came from Floribunda as a 5 gallon plant. It's been in the ground about seven years. The first three years or so were quite slow, but once it developed a good root system, it has been steady. It is about nine feet tall with five foot wide fronds. This photo used a flash to accentuate the silver undersides of the fronds. It is growing mostly in shade in the winter, but the summer sun moves overhead. This occasionally leads to a little sunburn around the tips, especially if we hit a dry spell. I'm not sure why the petioles are so erect. Most Kerridoxa I see in other gardens seem to spread more horizontally so the upper green surfaces are easier to see.

2112558130_Kerridoxa1April2021-1.thumb.jpeg.649c4a666391cb59209a75531eb0ecaf.jpeg

It is just beginning to show a bit of a trunk., maybe a foot wide. I don't think it will ever get tall, but it still has a way to go.

26602762_KerridoxatrunkApril2021-1.thumb.jpeg.435247bbd17043e5f106a1063e7902b1.jpeg

This is a female that was hand pollinated a few months ago using an inflorescence taken from my only male plant. It's easy to tell when the male flowers are producing pollen (it's yellow), but for me it is a bit of guesswork to tell when the female flowers are open. Maybe I should invest in a magnifying glass. I should find out if these seeds are fertile by the end of the year. Last year's pollination attempt was successful and the seeds are in pots now.

1676044554_KerridoxaseedsApril2021-1.thumb.jpeg.cef0250eb8c5f6c4b810f5feb13e96d7.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Knowing that they are not the fastest palms, I have got to ask this...

My K. elegans seeds popped in February, planted them in deep pots soon after that, run out of patience in May and 

checked them them very carefully - they looked all fine with healthy roots and a strong loooking cataphyll (if I got the 

terminology right) - now we have July but still no "movement" on the soil's surface. Does anyone know how long it takes

for seeds to develop the first strap? 

Lars

The city uses Kerriodoxa elegans here at Common Ground and Hollis Gardens.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

4 hours ago, palmfriend said:

Hi,

My K. elegans seeds popped in February, planted them in deep pots soon after that, run out of patience in May and 

checked them them very carefully - they looked all fine with healthy roots and a strong loooking cataphyll (if I got the 

terminology right) - now we have July but still no "movement" on the soil's surface. Does anyone know how long it takes

Lars

Did you bury the seeds? They don't need to be buried as this would make the emerging leaf deeper than it wants to be. You could try gently shaking off or otherwise removing a few inches of soil to see if they are putting up spikes. I don't think the soil above the point of leaf emergence is of any importance.

I have mine on drip irrigation and it moves along a modest pace.  It's in shade with lots of organic mulch, leaves, compost etc.   The later seems to prevent the lime green appearance I see on so many specimens.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

3 hours ago, PalmsandLiszt said:

Did you bury the seeds? They don't need to be buried as this would make the emerging leaf deeper than it wants to be. You could try gently shaking off or otherwise removing a few inches of soil to see if they are putting up spikes. I don't think the soil above the point of leaf emergence is of any importance.

Thank very much for your reply!

I do never bury seeds because it seems to be inconsequent for me as long I do not hear about a specific palm species whose seeds are/were always picked up by certain

creatures (eg. birds) and buried for whatever (nutritional) significances - so that this (specific) palm species got somehow used to deep seed planting to be able to sprout....

(I hope this sentence makes any sense...)

Having this in mind I always put them on top and cover them with just a bit soil to keep the seeds moist and that had worked pretty well so far. When I checked the

sprouted seeds in May, the root system and cataphyll looked very healthy. I was just wondering about how long it may take for the first spear to appear after the seed has

sprouted. 

However, I'll give them a few more days and then start to check the soil's surface again. 

regards

Lars

After looking at this thread again I really need to give mine more love...such a gorgeous palm!

BTW

Mine survived -15F this past winter,I don't know if that counts because it was inside the house.:mrlooney:

• Like 1

My in ground Kerriodoxa did amazingly well at 24-26F for 4-5 hours with frost.  It had some frost protection from the B. Alfredii above it, but I was very surprised to see little damage other than about 25% leaf burn.  So far this is a much hardier palm than it looks.

FWIW, here are the Kerriodoxa seedlings I received from Floribunda in May.  They appear to have not buried the seed at all, growing on top of the lava rock substrate.

1598953882_P1090447Kerriodoxa.thumb.JPG.02676088636b3495a602f4cd4b54e789.JPG

• Like 2

17 hours ago, palmfriend said:

Hi,

Lars

I'm sure your seedlings are fine and the first leaf will soon emerge.  Here is what I've been getting. My seeds ripen in late October.  Freshly picked seeds generally germinate in about two weeks in a  ziplock bag with Sphagnum moss.  On the left below is a plant started from seed germinated in November 2020.  I didn't write down how long it took to emerge, but it was at least 8-10 months.  Once the first leaf sprouted about this time last year, it has been growing nicely.  On the right is a pot containing one seed (shown on the tree in the April 11, 2021 post above) that germinated in November 2021. Nothing is showing above the surface, yet.

2085816799_Kerridoxaseedlings.thumb.jpg.0ea664eb89ef4c0c4bb2746c7c8467d8.jpg

However, if I carefully remove the pot, the media is filled with happy roots.  I expect the shoot to emerge in the next month or two. I live only about two miles from Floribunda, so we have the same microclimate.  I'm guessing mine take longer to sprout because I start with much larger pots.  I'm never going to ship any of my plants, so might as well give the babies plenty of room.

512381331_Kerridoxaseedlingroots7-22.jpg.0256e4ece4c715d38d4dd1d396c652fe.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/6/2022 at 7:20 AM, Rick Kelley said:

I'm sure your seedlings are fine and the first leaf will soon emerge.  Here is what I've been getting. My seeds ripen in late October.  Freshly picked seeds generally germinate in about two weeks in a  ziplock bag with Sphagnum moss.  On the left below is a plant started from seed germinated in November 2020.  I didn't write down how long it took to emerge, but it was at least 8-10 months.  Once the first leaf sprouted about this time last year, it has been growing nicely.  On the right is a pot containing one seed (shown on the tree in the April 11, 2021 post above) that germinated in November 2021. Nothing is showing above the surface, yet.

2085816799_Kerridoxaseedlings.thumb.jpg.0ea664eb89ef4c0c4bb2746c7c8467d8.jpg

However, if I carefully remove the pot, the media is filled with happy roots.  I expect the shoot to emerge in the next month or two. I live only about two miles from Floribunda, so we have the same microclimate.  I'm guessing mine take longer to sprout because I start with much larger pots.  I'm never going to ship any of my plants, so might as well give the babies plenty of room.

512381331_Kerridoxaseedlingroots7-22.jpg.0256e4ece4c715d38d4dd1d396c652fe.jpg

Thank you very much for your reply and for your efforts to check your own youngest sprout!

Providing a time frame is very kind of you - it seems that just the very first strap takes some more time to develop...

In comparison the one on the left looks indeed very happy and not slow at all - but I guess this is because of your favorable growing conditions.

However, I have just checked my own four ones very gentle. Two of them are looking very promising, I guess we will have a further development 

very soon. :greenthumb:

Lars

Snapped a few photos yesterday of the grouping of three Kerriodoxa. Such an incredible plant. 

Tim

456F2EA7-0A5D-4D7E-B68B-908DE0F549E6.jpeg

293F7217-AFD0-4E33-9484-FED2C79835EB.jpeg

20C5DBEB-572A-4468-A253-B1B08D0D82C1.jpeg

• Like 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I've been reading about efforts to germinate seeds of Kerriodoxa. I have done so on two occasions, but had no memory of any special problems, so had to look in my notes. I germinated them in pots in potting soil (my special mix) both times. I had one germinate in 2012, sprout at soil surface after four months. The second occasion when I was given 20 seeds. Nine sprouts at soil surface at about six months. I have five in the ground in morning and midday shade, donated one to auction, and have another four nice-looking in pots.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

On 7/5/2022 at 1:19 PM, Merlyn said:

My in ground Kerriodoxa did amazingly well at 24-26F for 4-5 hours with frost.  It had some frost protection from the B. Alfredii above it, but I was very surprised to see little damage other than about 25% leaf burn.  So far this is a much hardier palm than it looks.

I'll unfortunately need to revise the above statement.  On Sunday I was trimming up the Alfredii and discovered 2 more dead fronds and a dead spear.  It didn't pull, but I dosed it with a Daconil + Hydrogen Peroxide mix in the crown and a soil drench of Banrot.  Hopefully it'll pull through, but it only has 2 decent looking 2' diameter fans.

• Upvote 1

Hi there,

it took a while but here we go:

ke001.thumb.jpg.3422bc076010dd15b226633d8e619d74.jpg

Must have happened during the last three, four days....

ke002.thumb.jpg.fb911b4410d5eaed2bc2cb5b2e294d5d.jpg

Number one and...

ke003.thumb.jpg.4cf9e38dc656453b183d6e24362bc3a1.jpg

number two emerged.

Happy growing! :greenthumb::D

Lars

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

just a very short update excactly a month after my two K. elegans emerged...

ke004.thumb.jpg.f7d031e8debf480b8c66d04c68793636.jpg

ke005.thumb.jpg.c54652c09870bac8785cbc9168c8196a.jpg

ke006.thumb.jpg.528f288d3b9c3528e3b78cedf5f827ac.jpg

It looks good - it seems that they are doing fine! 

Thank's again for all those pieces of advice -

Lars

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

• 10 months later...
On 1/11/2011 at 7:26 PM, tank said:

Hopefully it will be another 20 years before we see last years conditions again.

😂😢

(we could have known better)