IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Curse of the Golden Cane

Walter John

If this is Tuesday, it must be Beerwah. And so as I am on leave , one of the big garden jobs I was to undertake was the thinning out of the very clustered triple planting of Dypsis lutescens out front. These were planted by the previous owner.

This I did, under extreme provocation by the Golden Canes themselves. You see, every time I went in to select a stem for cutting and carrying out that task, the golden canes would whip one of their leaves towards me and try to knock off my hat, and in so doing , slapping me in the face. This happened about 12 times, twice actually removing my hat completely. I soon wised up, and when the outraged palm went for my hat I held on tight and brushed the avenging leaf away.

Then when I had cut the stems and some of the leaves I wanted removed and started loading them onto the Toyota, they again attacked my head, removing my hat several times. The third event was unloading the trimmings at the local dump, and once again these fiendish golden canes tried to flick my hat off.

The final curse of the golden cane though would come later that same day. A couple of hours after returning from dining out with lovey, I became really really ill and was sick all over the place. As I type I am still feeling quite off. The curse of food poisoning it seems is another piece of revenge that these Madagascan palms can debilitate you with. Be warned, if you attempt to thin out golden canes palms, chin strap your hat on and whatever you do, don't go dining out in the same evening. Stay home, eat bbq, anything.

Note to readers, all photos coming in the next 4 posts, I just wanted to get that off my chest first.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

At least they weren't armed a la Phoenix. Sorry for your suffering, Wal.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I forgot to take photos right before the thinning out but here's some photos taken throughout 2010 to give you an idea of the clusters. These guys are also starved of a decent feed and that's another reason for getting at these palms to allow room to fertilise them back into shape.

post-51-029833100 1294186857_thumb.jpg

post-51-029635400 1294186882_thumb.jpg

post-51-063404800 1294186911_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Ah, yes.

Reminds me of the Curse of the Spiny Palm, that is, spiny palms draw you to them like a magnet. I've never fallen into a non-spiny palm, but Heaven help anyone near a Phoenix, Acrocomia, Calamus, etc. :rage:

Then, there's the Poke of the New Spear Into Your Unsuspecting Eye, which got this hot chickie all concerned, and, well, I guess I can tell one once in a while . . . . :lol:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

The removal complete, with the angry removed canes and leaves aground and waiting to be gathered up and taken to the tip.

post-51-074234900 1294187381_thumb.jpg

post-51-043068900 1294187412_thumb.jpg

post-51-067021000 1294187442_thumb.jpg

post-51-001376600 1294187348_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

The removal complete, with the angry removed canes and leaves aground and waiting to be gathered up and taken to the tip.

post-51-074234900 1294187381_thumb.jpg

post-51-043068900 1294187412_thumb.jpg

post-51-067021000 1294187442_thumb.jpg

post-51-001376600 1294187348_thumb.jpg

Nice trim job, Wal!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

And behold the Golden Cane fury, red with stormy outrage, this cane too was later removed.

post-51-049291500 1294187679_thumb.jpg

post-51-044868000 1294187649_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal, you need to get yourself a Shreddie, to avoid trips to the tip . . . . (and, I presume, money to have to pay?)

Back from the dump, and nearly exhausted but feeling great, not knowing what fate lay ahead, here's the cleaned up clumps.

post-51-092562200 1294187949_thumb.jpg

post-51-010953600 1294187973_thumb.jpg

post-51-080059300 1294187996_thumb.jpg

post-51-026838300 1294187926_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

And finally for good measure, after feeding some DL around the bases of each clump, I found some broms out back to add some bling to their lives. How was I to know that brom bling would not satisfy them.

Signed, your loving ratpacker Wal, who faced the curse of the golden cane, died, and lived to tell the tale.

post-51-015161000 1294188323_thumb.jpg

post-51-017856100 1294188355_thumb.jpg

post-51-019052000 1294188295_thumb.jpg

post-51-003408600 1294188390_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I know just how you feel, Wal. Glad to see from the photos that you were victorious. Nice work!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

looks much better trimmed up.

good job,dewd!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Thanks y'all. Come see for yourselves next time you're in the neighbourhood.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Oh we will . . .

Nice work there. You know when to quit better than I do. I wouldn't have stopped until I had 3-5 trunks per and no yellow fronds.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Nice work there. You know when to quit better than I do. I wouldn't have stopped until I had 3-5 trunks per and no yellow fronds.

Thanks and I understand Terry, I was still after a certain amount of screen effect so that's why I left that many canes, that and any more and the curse could have been greater. :blink:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Lookin trim Wal. They must have passed on the curse to you, because they are suffering the curse of the Golden Cane in SE QLD...magnesium deficiency...maybe they are trying to tell you something :mrlooney:

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Lookin trim Wal. They must have passed on the curse to you, because they are suffering the curse of the Golden Cane in SE QLD...magnesium deficiency...maybe they are trying to tell you something :mrlooney:

Daryl

Quite true Daz, like most golden canes around, nobody cared (s) for them. I'm hoping my dosage of Dynamic Lifter will ease their pain, make them go the distance, if I fertilise them , they will green. :blink:

as for curses, I have no doubt they are trying to tell me something.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal,

If you were wearing that hat you have on in your avatar, I can understand why the lutie was trying to knock it off your head. Just saying. :D

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

That's why I stay away from these clumping palms!

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

I know better than to mess with the golden canes.

Looks like you had your way with them though. I can see them seething in the first pic of post 11...just waiting for you to step closer.

Vince Bury

Zone 10a San Juan Capistrano, CA - 1.25 miles from coast.

http://www.burrycurry.com/index.html

Well done Wal. I would like to hereby award you the Hergé topic title of the week!

post-1155-052900300 1294241845_thumb.jpg

That's a ripper John :D

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Good thing I only have 1!! And not a multiplanted one at that too, thanks to Helen :)

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

You sure it wasn't the Stella?:mrlooney:

Nahhh it wasnt the stella, the whole country is throwing up. 3 innings defeats is too much for any aussie stomach.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

It looks like the Plumies circled ranks to protect thier buddies. Did you happen to snap any of thier bracches in your rage. We call that collateral damage, i would not have the heart to thin out my Golden cane even though it is in dire need of a haircut. Why to do they plant these in masses when they already clump? :angry:

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

It looks like the Plumies circled ranks to protect thier buddies. Did you happen to snap any of thier bracches in your rage. We call that collateral damage, i would not have the heart to thin out my Golden cane even though it is in dire need of a haircut. Why to do they plant these in masses when they already clump? :angry:

I would love to grow just one lutescens plant so it can clump au naturel. There are single lutescens out there as well. I must admit, this palm is one of the best plants on the planet, should never be under rated.

And Nigel, what can I say, congratulations, well done, and don't let the aussies tell you it was because OZ had a crap team, not true at all, the England side have simply been outstanding and the best England cricket side I've seen in many a long year. It'll be all over early tomorrow,..excuse me for a second.....

post-51-018778200 1294312023_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

And Nigel, what can I say, congratulations, well done, and don't let the aussies tell you it was because OZ had a crap team, not true at all, the England side have simply been outstanding and the best England cricket side I've seen in many a long year. It'll be all over early tomorrow,..excuse me for a second.....

Believe me after more than 30 years of watching nobody is more shocked than me ........

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

Damn that stupid run out was a pain to watch on the news last nite :angry: Wal did you notice the great look of the ancient clumps in Rocky ? Looks like a viscous clean up every 20 years or so gives a 'great balls of golden cane' effect .. you know a high ball a few meters of trunks , a mid ball , and then a ground ball . Church on the hwy on south side of Rocky has/had? best example.

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Damn that stupid run out was a pain to watch on the news last nite :angry: Wal did you notice the great look of the ancient clumps in Rocky ? Looks like a viscous clean up every 20 years or so gives a 'great balls of golden cane' effect .. you know a high ball a few meters of trunks , a mid ball , and then a ground ball . Church on the hwy on south side of Rocky has/had? best example.

I can't recall Michael, I was "driving with the ratpack", probably laughing at the Greens, but I suppose they'd be all slosh balls now, like dirty old sea mines.

In my experience of watching cricket sides under the hammer, dumb runouts are likely to occur, I'm taking it all in......for the next time the ashes are decided, lest we forget...

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I would love to grow just one lutescens plant so it can clump au naturel. There are single lutescens out there as well. I must admit, this palm is one of the best plants on the planet, should never be under rated.

True, England have a good side but you have to admit it's the worst Aussie team since 86/87. Kind of reminds me of our cricket team...... :(

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa