IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New places to retire, other than Hawaii

Gtlevine

hey Dave we need heaps more lawyers over hear , so come on down .

Maybe you can get Hoges as a client and help him sue the Guvvermint for a few billuion for having the check to say he diddled his tackses .. :angry:

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Where's the Moderator? I thought you were supposed to stay on topic around here.

It is ok... I am friends with the moderator :winkie:

Michael,

What is that about Hoges?

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Where's the Moderator? I thought you were supposed to stay on topic around here.

Me too.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Classic Wal, I do know they are Prawns, they are Prawns here in the states as well, but I did reference the Dundee line. BTW, you Aussies may not like him but the movie Crocodile Dundee is a classic and my first taste of Aussie slang. I saw District 9 and aliens are Prawns also.

Gary

I travelled abroad once, drove her to the airport.

boom boom (yes that's mine, you can have it)

Dear John, the shrimp/prawn matter, a shrimp in the USA is a prawn in Australia, AND, they really are prawns not shrimp. Now I don't mind or care if Americans call them shrimp when they really are prawns, so what ? as long as they call them shrimp in the states and not here in OZ. If they enter here in Australia, they would fit in best if they referred to them as prawns because that is what they bloody well are, no I haven't finished yet, let me get up, don't tell me to sit down, I AM NOT GETTING UPSET, that stupid crocodile dundee winfield smoking hoges was made to call them shrimp and I bet a dollar or two he didn't care either way as long as he got the zillion payout. Also a person can be a prawn, especially if he calls a prawn a shrimp, I work with some prawns who rub me the wrong way, the mailman here is a prawn, he drives over my footpath leaving tyre marks, YOU STUPID PRAWN, I make sure I said that when he's out of ear shot. Footballers can be shrimps, Alfie langer, Tommy Bishop, Mickey Rooney, etc.

For Matty aussie lingo lesson # 43:

"Some prawn came up to me the other day and said I was a shrimp, so I punched him in the kneecaps"

here endeth the lesson - Sean Connery (The Untouchables)

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Classic Bruce!

Gary,

If you end up in Oz don't forget the Budgie Smugglers.

I'm sure that's why Ari ended up in Oz.

Bruce

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Michael,

Since it's my post I give approval to get off track a little, this is entertaining.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

This kind of stuff is really 'international'...I love it!

That photo of Gary's is very reminiscent of parts of the Oz coastline, except for the cactus!

As for retirement, apart from having a good climate (to enjoy and also to minimise impact on arthritis and other health issues), you also need to consider what infrastructure there is to support you...and that also includes friends and family. You need good access to transport, health services etc etc Can all of the areas suggested provide these? Not much good growing the most beautiful palm gardens and then getting sick and having to leave the lot! I often wonder if I can even afford to stay where I am if I ever get to retiring...property rates/taxes etc

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Michael,

Ari, last time Hoges was over here, the govt bailed him up for alleged 'unpaid taxes' and wouldn't let him leave the country.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Ari, last time Hoges was over here, the govt bailed him up for alleged 'unpaid taxes' and wouldn't let him leave the country.

Daryl

Oh that Hoges... lol.

Daryl, Darwin rural rate is still pretty good. Although it does go up every year...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Palmarati, it's because I'm freezing four months out of the year.

Gary

Grow hair.

Did I just say that? :blink:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

why "trainers?" i dont remember getting any specialized training to wear them? :rolleyes:

things are weird in yoorip.

Sneakers comes from the early days of the American sports shoe, primarily indoor sports. The Brit equivalent would be "plimsolls". Trainers in Britain are track-style, running shoes. The only shoes we call sneakers are the Converse All Stars, because they are old-school, if you will!

if you will = as it were... :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Michael,

Since it's my post I give approval to get off track a little, this is entertaining.

I apologize Gary - I mentioned "Island Time" earlier in this thread and the thread took on a life of it's own.

Very interesting thread. :greenthumb:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

:mrlooney: duh , its the off topic forum isn't it :rolleyes:

I reckon Gaz should learn how to sail , along with a few more of you old farts :winkie: then you could hire Capt. Palms for Pleasure and his giant super yacht for your yearly 'Waving Palms' trip to the tropical wonderland here in FNQ. Lots of yoh ho ho and a few bottles of rum . :lol:

Edited by aussiearoids

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

This has probably been one of the most interesting, most informative, most popular and most entertaining threads in quite a while (thanks Gary for initiating the discussion! :) ), and I'm not even sure that any of these posts have been "off topic". After all, this type of decision is life changing and involves so many different aspects that we couldn't even begin to touch on them all. Personally, I think Keith hit it on the head with his comment "why would you live the majority of your life in a place where you would not want to spend the remainder of your life?". (Post #71 on page 2), which addresses what I see as the real issue. Which is "find out what's important in life and go after it. Make it happen. Don't wait for some future date or future event, that may or may not happen." I realize that in many cases there are circumstances that make major life changing decisions difficult to implement - work, family etc. - but it all really comes down to priorities. If something is important enough, there's always a way. Except for one possible little practical detail: when we discuss "retirement" in different countries, it's important to keep in mind that in many, maybe most, cases you can't just move to a different country. Immigration rules vary greatly from country to country, and in some cases it's just plain impossible to move to a particular country unless you have connections there. Or lots of money! :)

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I think your right in that some countries just won't let you in that easily. In Australia you have to have a profession or a bankload of money from what I heard. You Aussies can clarify your immigration policy for us, but I was told that as a Civil Engineer they would accept me.

Speaking of Australia, if I moved there i might just scrap the palm hobby and go back to my old hobby of collecting snakes, I just love the Pythons indigenous to Australia.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

I think quality of life is the most important factor to consider.This will be different for every person. Guatemala is a small country with every climate except snow.It has Mayan temples,colonial cities,mountain lakes volcanoes.I never get bored here.I have not been back to the US in nine years.This can be a very inexpensive place to live or it can be more expensive than the US it just depends on what your comfort level is.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Australia is in need of engineers due to the massive mining industry. With unemployment under 5% and probably the stongestest economy in the world right now.

here is a list of skilled occupations eligible for Visas

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule3.pdf

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Living in Oz:

Minimum wage abt $15.00 per hour

4 weeks paid vacation a year (with pay loading)

$5,000 to have a baby

Long service leave after ten years employment (Two months fully paid)

Paid maternity leave

XXXX Beer

Bundy Rum

Vegemite

And best of all

Wal is there

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Consider the mountains of western Puerto Rico. Great for growing most palms (and most everything else). Very low cost away from the beaches. U.S. so no passport needed. Great airport (BQN) Aguadilla using Spirit, Jet Blue or Continental and one of the biggest runways since used to be an airforce base yet only one baggage carousel and rental cars you walk to without taking a shuttle. Quick and cheap to N.Y. or Florida. Home Depot and Sears 30 minutes away,but rural and quiet.English required in High school so can manage without Spanish. Can't beat the weather with only fans needed in summer yet lows in the sixties in winter. Really nice people.I can bring my orchid collection(and tie them to trees)and most plants legally after a free inspection at my home. No real estate taxes for property you live on and very low cost for property you don't live on. Most areas have city water (cheap) and electricity(cheap) and solar hot water (free once set up). Great uncrowded beaches for snorkling, surfing, swimming about 40 minutes away.Downsides I can think of include no thrift stores, inferior public library system,2-3 hour drive to significant nightlife in San Juan (not that I care..) Per capita income in the rural areas is only $5,000 per year so probably best to earn money in the continental U.S. though. A spouse who likes New York culture would probably be bored so maybe you'll just want to visit us when we retire there in 4 years. Have fun searching for the right spot for you.

post-4111-029005900 1294508924_thumb.jpg

Cindy Adair

There are just too many wonderfull places to send Gary off to so he can feel all warm and fuzzy. I have been thinking about the idea that maybe we can form a house swapping co-op here on Palmtalk. This way we can trade places for any length of time and see the world with some kind of advantage and local knowledge. I have met some good folks here personally who I would do house trades with. I realize that it would require responsibility and trust, but why not!

I have come close to purchaseing a second home a couple times, but I don't like the idea that I would always feel obligated to go there instead of spending the time traveling elsewhere. For me it comes down to...Why buy when you can rent the world :)

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

I think your right in that some countries just won't let you in that easily. In Australia you have to have a profession or a bankload of money from what I heard. You Aussies can clarify your immigration policy for us, but I was told that as a Civil Engineer they would accept me.

Speaking of Australia, if I moved there i might just scrap the palm hobby and go back to my old hobby of collecting snakes, I just love the Pythons indigenous to Australia.

Gary

Australia is importing engineers left, right & centre at the moment!!! In my office we have 2 civil engineers, 1 structural engineer & 1 environmental scientist from the UK, 2 structural engineers from Philippines & 1 civil drafter from Canada - and it is only a small office of 25 people. So, yes... I don't think you would have any problem entering Australia.

Gary, google black-headed pythons. Scott has tried to talk me into it for years. That is his favourite pythons. But you can actually do both as long as you live at the right place...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I had an Eastern Black Head, Woma, Diamond, and Jungle Carpet at one point, I think I'm about to dive back in and get another Black Head. If your going to get a python Ari, you got good advise, Black Heads are beautiful and great feeders, very easy to take care of. There are Eastern and Western Black Headed Pythons, the westerns are the smaller ones at about seven feet. Another great python is the rough scaled python, but they are too rare to find in the states, but may be able to track one down in oz.

I'm a Civil/Structural Engineer Registered in Cal, what are typical salaries in oz these days?

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Great idea Bob, I would do a swap, that would be a great way to see many places on the cheap.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

:mrlooney: duh , its the off topic forum isn't it :rolleyes:

I reckon Gaz should learn how to sail , along with a few more of you old farts :winkie: then you could hire Capt. Palms for Pleasure and his giant super yacht for your yearly 'Waving Palms' trip to the tropical wonderland here in FNQ. Lots of yoh ho ho and a few bottles of rum . :lol:

here is Captain Palmtreesforpleasure (colin) giving the Hogies the sydney harbour workout !

post-1252-015497400 1294525690_thumb.jpg

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

I had an Eastern Black Head, Woma, Diamond, and Jungle Carpet at one point, I think I'm about to dive back in and get another Black Head. If your going to get a python Ari, you got good advise, Black Heads are beautiful and great feeders, very easy to take care of. There are Eastern and Western Black Headed Pythons, the westerns are the smaller ones at about seven feet. Another great python is the rough scaled python, but they are too rare to find in the states, but may be able to track one down in oz.

I'm a Civil/Structural Engineer Registered in Cal, what are typical salaries in oz these days?

How many years experience? And managerial experience? I reckon would be around 150 up here in Darwin (probably more if you can negotiate better), more as manager. It will all depend on where you get the job as well. WA pays the best in the country, QLD & NT are next (but not Brisbane - for some reason if you want to live in Brisbane you get paid peanuts). Other states are less.... unfortunately, unless of course you work in a mine - which your wife wouldn't like, I am sure.

Gary, I don't like reptiles... Scott (my other half) on the other hand :rolleyes: . Scott likes the western black headed python.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Yeh Rob, checked it out and it's nice, but La Paz is looking much better, and it's also closer to San Diego. Love the semi arid tropical climate on the sea of Cortez. I can grow Encephalartos and coconut palms and fish and dive in the coral reefs. I'll come back with a report in April.

Gary

gary-

******************************************************************************************************

I am from La Paz and my mama and some brothers sisters still they live there.

The climate is NOT good there! Very hot and many days 95+ F with much humiditey in the summer, in some years hurricanes and very hot nights if there is no coromuel wind from the pacific. In the winter there is much cold wind from the north for many days. Yes you can grow cocos nucifera there but they dont look very good. They look much more better in Mazatlan.

Water there is very expensive and with limits.

Also electricity is very expensive here. In La Paz you need the air conditioning all day and night for 7-8 months. In my country the company of electricity (CFE - Comisión Federal de Electricidad) they charge to you very expensive if you use more then 3000 kilowatt hours in one year. You can think to pay $300-400 US dollars for 2 months of electricity in La Paz every 2 months - in the winter and summer. You pay less only if you use less then 3000 kilowatt hours in the time of one year.

It is also very small city probaly 200,000 persons if this much. And away from La Paz there is nothing. Only Los Cabos and this is only for tourists. It is like to be on some island.

Dont go in April - this month is probaly the most nice month there. Go in August and January and see how is the weather.

I am very glad I live now in Tijuana - nobody in this city says they want to go to La Paz to live. It is reverse people there they come to here.

If i think to recomend some TROPICAL, safe city for americans, i say probaly San Blas, Nayarit. Not expensive. Very safe. 45 minutes in car to Tepic, capital of Nayarit. 1.5 hours to Puerto Vallarta. 3 hours to Guadalajara. Water. Less hurricanes then La Paz. More warmer in the winter and more cooler in the summer, the best climate on pacific coast of Mexico.

Edited by Cristóbal

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

Christobal thanks for checking in about Mexico. I googled the place you mentioned and it looks incredible. Mexico just amazes me in how many beautiful places there are there, it seems endless. I have been to Cabo in August so I am familiar with the heat, but I just loved it. The hurricanes are of course an issue in La Paz since it's on the gulf. I am going to look further into San Blas Nayarit, it looks amazing in the photos.

How is life in TJ these days? I heard about the severed head hanging from the bridge, pretty incredible. My wife dies not want to go back to even visit her family.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

It could have easily been the wrong place at the wrong time - but some buddies and I camped on a secluded beach in San Blas one night during a month long surf safari down the Pacific Coast of Mexico - about 1972. I was chewed on by more bugs during that 8 hour sleep in a screened tent than the rest of my life put together. They are too small for a screen to do any good. We couldn't leave there fast enough when the sun came up. The "no-see-ums" were unbelievably hungry and relentless. I have never experienced anything even close to that.

Edit: Out of curiosity I googled about the "no-see-ums" in San Blas - known as jejenes in Mexico. It appears as if we were not the only ones. Google San Blas jejenes and you will see. They are notorious. One excerpt of many:

"There may be whale watching in San Blas, I don't really know, but I can tell you what San Blas does have. The nastiest sand flies that leave welts all over that stay for a long, long time. Everybody who sees you after visiting San Blas will know you've been there. You'll be the one covered from head to toe with red welts that itch like crazy. Stay indoors during sunrise and sunset.

I knew these guys who slept on the beach in San Blas and when they woke up they ran into the water leaving every valuable behind to get away from the bugs. San Blas tried to be a popular seaside destination but the bug issue made it impossible things do change but getting rid of that level of bug problem would be difficult. Sorry but it is reknowned for it. Take my advise stay indoors with closed windows during sunrise and sunset."

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Interesting Dean, sounds like the "No see ems" in the northeast united states. Brutal little mosquitos that eat you alive. The climate in southern Baja is still much better and no bugs. The objections Cristobol has with the climate in Baja are positives for me.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Less expensive AND safe? Good palms AND close to home? Brownsville?

Scroll down to the bottom of the Texas palms thread to see what can be grown in Brownsville..

:) Jonathan

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

As a civil engineer I think I am ready to pack my bags and move to the land down under.

If only I could convince my wife.