IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New places to retire, other than Hawaii

Gtlevine

Nambypamby land is what i'm looking for, I admit it. I'll send you a postcard Bob.

Gary

Palmarati, it's because I'm freezing four months out of the year.

Rob, what about La Paz Mexico? I love Southern Baja and have Ben there twice. I forgot how beautiful La Paz is and the weather is gorgeous. Coconut palms grow all over, desert meets the Sea of Cortez, great fishing and Scuba Diving, etc...

I've been to Cabo San Lucas also and it is great, but has grown into a big City and I think La Paz is better.

Gary

"Freezing four months of the year" Maybe you should move to Namby Pambyland, get a grip Gary ! :lol:

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

I like it, similar to La Paz, and I like all the Coconut palms growing out of the desert landscape. I think my cycads will also like it down in Baja, it's a little drier than most tropical places.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Wayne,

I think your 2 cents is very valid. To many people doing what they do, work, is more important than where they live. To others it is the opposite. My father for example never left Montana, because it was more important to him to live in Montana where he wanted to be. He had some very good opportunities to move elsewhere and make much more money. But, he was able to do what he wanted to where he wanted to. And, he is still there. I am very grateful that this gave me the opportunity to grow up in such a wonderfful place. Montana is a great place, but my life took me elsewhere. For many years I kept bouncing back and forth between living in Brazil and living in Fort Lauderdale. Fort Lauderdale is a great place and if I had a second home away from Manaus I would have one in South Florida. It is a 5 hour non stop flight for me and a good gateway to the USA. I came to Manaus in 2000 to set up our companies branch office here. I still had my house in Fort Lauderdale and was living there and travelling to Brazil. My children were all older by then and either at school or lving with their mother. So, after spending more time in Manaus I decided that here is where I would rather live. That really had absolutely nothing to do with palms at the time. I just enjoy living here more than in the States. I could live in a safer place, a more orgainzed place, a calmer place. But, that is not important. What is important is that I am where I want to be and doing what I want to do. Even if that frequently is not where I could possible make the most money. I guess a lot has to do how one lives their lives. I have travelled the world, but rarely for pleasure. But, then travelling for business gives one a whole different view of the world. There are a lot of place I still want to visit in the world, some of them tropical, some of the mild, and some of the cold. We live on a beautiful planet. And, for a tropical place Brazil is about as beautiful as it gets. And, Manaus is an incredible mix with a city in the middle of the wilderness of Amazonia on the banks of the worlds largest rivers.

Keith´s point is very valid for sure.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

I think my cycads will also like it down in Baja, it's a little drier than most tropical places.

A little?. Wikipedia says La Paz's annual precipitation is 6.7 inches!

If I could retire - actually experience a rennasance is a better term - anywhere, it would be Australia, New Zealand, or Tasmania. I've never been to any of them but have dreamed of going for at least 40 years. I lived in Costa Rica and visited there last March. It has changed so much and I think it is because of all the AMericans who have invaded. Seems to happen everywhere we congregate. I want to go where there are few Americans. The vistas in the 3 countries listed seem absolutely stunning. And after reading Bill Bryson's "In a Sunburned Country" and other books, I want to go even more.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

If I could retire - actually experience a rennasance is a better term - anywhere, it would be Australia, New Zealand, or Tasmania.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

and it's over to you Troy and Jonathon et al..

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I lived in Costa Rica and visited there last March. It has changed so much and I think it is because of all the AMericans who have invaded. Seems to happen everywhere we congregate. I want to go where there are few Americans.

I can see the Australians are just dying to turn tropical Australia into America south.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

All,

Sounds like folks are really having a lot of fun with this thread. As coincidence would have it, my wife and I have been haggling about a small vacation place that we would eventually retire in. But where to choose ?

We created some parameters:

Tropical

NO Hurricanes

Decent health care

Stable Government

Low costs/taxes

ONE plane ride away from the Florida

We live in Miami. And most of you are going to mock me for what I am about to write, but these winters are starting to really piss me off !!!!! Plus we have no soil here, just rock !! :angry:

So although some of the places that have been mentioned in this thread would come very close to "fitting", alas there is always something that causes us to cross it out.

Hawii- Too far, although I have a feeling that this would be it for me.

Northern Australia is really really beautiful ( way too far ). We were in Cairns two years ago and drove down to Palm Cove which was just gorgeous. BUT, during a good part of the year you are limited from swimming in the ocean because of the jelly fish and there seems to be some issues with both hurricanes (typhoons) and it floods something horrible, Wal ?

Some of the other places mentioned in South and Central America could work ( my wife is also Mexican ), but you know its kinda of scary. There is something to be said about dialing 911 and knowing that in less than 7 minutes there will be a cop at your home or a paramedic/firefighter to take care of you.

Costa Rica seems to be really appreciated by many, but like someone else said, why retire to where your going to find the same people ? :huh:

Cuba- HURRICANES

Dominican Republic- DITTO

The list can go on and on...... I guess half the fun is looking and hopefully finding the place where you can watch the sun set one day....... :D

Manny

Manny,

The northern coast of S. America fits just about all your criteria except stability. You might need to look at the islands in the extreme southern Caribbean, almost never get hit wth hurricanes and they are very European in their governments. How about Panama? Columbia?

Jerry,

Yup, your right. I was looking into Trinidad and Tobago, about 6 miles from Venezuela. But I heard stories of how Trinidad is almost if not more dangerous than Jamaica. As far as your recommendations, Columbia- Forget it ! Panama, may be workable, but its not the safest either and its actually quite expensive. Aruba would be great, but its extremely arid.

The search goes on !

Manny

I lived in Costa Rica and visited there last March. It has changed so much and I think it is because of all the AMericans who have invaded. Seems to happen everywhere we congregate. I want to go where there are few Americans.

I can see the Australians are just dying to turn tropical Australia into America south.

dk

I hope you are being sarcastic, Don...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Palmarati, it's because I'm freezing four months out of the year.

Rob, what about La Paz Mexico? I love Southern Baja and have Ben there twice. I forgot how beautiful La Paz is and the weather is gorgeous. Coconut palms grow all over, desert meets the Sea of Cortez, great fishing and Scuba Diving, etc...

I've been to Cabo San Lucas also and it is great, but has grown into a big City and I think La Paz is better.

Gary

"Freezing four months of the year" Maybe you should move to Namby Pambyland, get a grip Gary ! :lol:

:floor: :floor: :floor:

omg i almost fell on the floor! :lol:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

gary-

LA PAZ is nice but I think you would like lake Chapala more.

google it and read up.

I went horseback riding there and it is a wonderful place.

316.jpg

Hey, Things are great here in Namby Pambyland. I own one pair of long pants, and they haven't been out of the drawer in 3 years. Same with my one light jacket. And the few times it gets over 90 F in summer, I can cool off in the 75-80 F water. It's hard to beat.

You can't get more Namby Pamby than this middle of winter weekly forcast for Kona.

post-11-074303000 1294369384_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

That's what I'm saying Dean, namby-pamby land is awesome.

Rob, that's a nice call as well but the landscape and sea of Cortez is really looking sweet. I just told my wife were going to do four days in La Paz in April so I can check it out.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Yeh Rob, checked it out and it's nice, but La Paz is looking much better, and it's also closer to San Diego. Love the semi arid tropical climate on the sea of Cortez. I can grow Encephalartos and coconut palms and fish and dive in the coral reefs. I'll come back with a report in April.

Gary

gary-

LA PAZ is nice but I think you would like lake Chapala more.

google it and read up.

I went horseback riding there and it is a wonderful place.

316.jpg

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

I can grow Encephalartos and coconut palms and fish and dive in the coral reefs. I'll come back with a report in April.

Gary

316.jpg

Gary, how long do you think a Encephalartos will last in Mexico before it is stolen? Serious question. They cant stop peoples heads from getting cut off, how are you going to secure a rare cycad?

• Like 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I can grow Encephalartos and coconut palms and fish and dive in the coral reefs. I'll come back with a report in April.

Gary

Gary, how long do you think a Encephalartos will last in Mexico before it is stolen? Serious question. They cant stop peoples heads from getting cut off, how are you going to secure a rare cycad?

Plus those coco palms have either tapped into select areas with underground water, or are irrigated with what has to be a fairly scarce and fragile resource. But you're right, the fishing and diving is excellent, and in calm warm water - just like Kona. :)

If you didn't know - from Wikipedia:

"The climate of La Paz is very much like Hawaii and other tropical islands and has a cool average temperature that stays in a range of 70-90 degrees. This area should be perfect in the summer and spring where the beaches are at the perfect temperature. The ocean creates humid temperature when the temperature is around 90 though."

Sounds namby-pamby enough for me.

Kona, on The Big Island

:lol: Namby Pambyland! :lol: That is The big island of Hawaii. No shirt, no shoes, no to much sweat brah! What eva you drop in da dirt it jus grow! For shure the best place for a palm addicted frozen former Chicagoan now frozen Californian to piddle away his golden years. I knew Namby Pambyland existed, somewhere, thanks for revelation Dean! :D

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

LOL! Sounds perfect Bob!

Gary

:lol: Namby Pambyland! :lol: That is The big island of Hawaii. No shirt, no shoes, no to much sweat brah! What eva you drop in da dirt it jus grow! For shure the best place for a palm addicted frozen former Chicagoan now frozen Californian to piddle away his golden years. I knew Namby Pambyland existed, somewhere, thanks for revelation Dean! :D

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Len, good point.

I may just buy a small adobe house on a natural rocky slope with Cordon cactus and a view of the Sea of Cortez. No plants but native species and no water. Leave on December 1st and come back to San Diego April 1st. Just relax in the sun for 4 months and take life to the next level.

I can send Bob some postcards.

Esthela already agreed to go with me for this year to check it out.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

I can picture my home right here.

gbay.jpg

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Bob, You must have meant "paddle away." The water is way too nice just to "piddle away." :)

Kona, on The Big Island

dk

I hope you are being sarcastic, Don...

Yes Ari you got that right.:D

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Ari,

I would not wish that off on anyone! I am generally embarassed by the behavior of my fellow Americans when we travel abroad.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Ari,

I would not wish that off on anyone! I am generally embarassed by the behavior of my fellow Americans when we travel abroad.

Americans are fantastic abroad, I never knew where that stereotype came from. Yes, always are a few ugly ones in any group, but I totally disagree with this and we would fit right in with the Aussies. I got my Aussie slang dictionary and I'm ready to go, get a shrimp on the barbie for me.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

its actually "Mamby pambyland." ;)

still "warning-free."

Ari,

Americans are fantastic abroad, I never knew where that stereotype came from. Yes, always are a few ugly ones in any group, but I totally disagree with this and we would fit right in with the Aussies. I got my Aussie slang dictionary and I'm ready to go, get a shrimp on the barbie for me.

Gary

Better get a better dictionary Gary, it's "prawn" not "shrimp". That was changed for the american tv advertisements when Paul Hogan did those aussie tourism adds, they changed it to suit the american lingo.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Ari,

Gary

Better get a better dictionary Gary, it's "prawn" not "shrimp". That was changed for the american tv advertisements when Paul Hogan did those aussie tourism adds, they changed it to suit the american lingo.

Wal, are you saying that Australians refer to both prawns and shrimps as prawns?

Gary, I agree. Every country has its "lemming contingency" who let the side down. Aside from that, I remember seeing American tourists for the first time during the early 80's in London. It came as a shock, seeing pensioners in jeans or checked pants and trainers! But they always looked so energized compared to our OAP's.

I'm actually headed for Arequipa this year, but I'm not saying any more just yet!

i dont think thats what he's saying.

what are "trainers?"

whats an "OAP?"

whats the point to these questions? :blink:

still "warning-free."

what are "trainers?"

whats an "OAP?"

trainers = sneakers

oap = old age pensioner = retiree = blue hair

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

why "trainers?" i dont remember getting any specialized training to wear them? :rolleyes:

things are weird in yoorip.

still "warning-free."

what are "trainers?"

whats an "OAP?"

I was only saying myself, Paul! At least I said "pants" and not "trousers".

I travelled abroad once, drove her to the airport.

boom boom (yes that's mine, you can have it)

Dear John, the shrimp/prawn matter, a shrimp in the USA is a prawn in Australia, AND, they really are prawns not shrimp. Now I don't mind or care if Americans call them shrimp when they really are prawns, so what ? as long as they call them shrimp in the states and not here in OZ. If they enter here in Australia, they would fit in best if they referred to them as prawns because that is what they bloody well are, no I haven't finished yet, let me get up, don't tell me to sit down, I AM NOT GETTING UPSET, that stupid crocodile dundee winfield smoking hoges was made to call them shrimp and I bet a dollar or two he didn't care either way as long as he got the zillion payout. Also a person can be a prawn, especially if he calls a prawn a shrimp, I work with some prawns who rub me the wrong way, the mailman here is a prawn, he drives over my footpath leaving tyre marks, YOU STUPID PRAWN, I make sure I said that when he's out of ear shot. Footballers can be shrimps, Alfie langer, Tommy Bishop, Mickey Rooney, etc.

For Matty aussie lingo lesson # 43:

"Some prawn came up to me the other day and said I was a shrimp, so I punched him in the kneecaps"

here endeth the lesson - Sean Connery (The Untouchables)

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

why "trainers?" i dont remember getting any specialized training to wear them? :rolleyes:

things are weird in yoorip.

Sneakers comes from the early days of the American sports shoe, primarily indoor sports. The Brit equivalent would be "plimsolls". Trainers in Britain are track-style, running shoes. The only shoes we call sneakers are the Converse All Stars, because they are old-school, if you will!

I think Aussies call them Running shoes, well... at least Scott does.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

In Australia, you need to learn a new language. They don't speak English, they speak 'Strine.

I saw on some show once (don't know how true)that of the three large Southern British ex-colonies, Australia has the most colorful language and that is mainly because of who colonized it. South Africa had a lot of British Noblemen and upper crust, one step down was New Zealand with farmers and middle class, and lastly Australia with criminals and lower class. And that Aussies once bristled at the criminal reference but now embrace it and wear it as a badge of honor.

Whatever it was back then, it has turned into a great place with a bunch of great people, even if a prawn like me says so.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Gary,

If you end up in Oz don't forget the Budgie Smugglers.

I'm sure that's why Ari ended up in Oz.

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Also, runners, joggers and once upon a time, sandshoes

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Gary,

If you end up in Oz don't forget the Budgie Smugglers.

I'm sure that's why Ari ended up in Oz.

Bruce

Scott wears shorts... thank goodness. LOL.

Daryl,

Scott still calls them sandshoes too.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Where's the Moderator? I thought you were supposed to stay on topic around here.

Kona, on The Big Island

and whatever you do, don't call your "bum bags", "fanny packs".

This thread is one of the best cultural exchanges I've seen in a long time... :lol:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.