IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New places to retire, other than Hawaii

Gtlevine

I was thinking that when I retire I would like to possibly move to a better palm climate and less expensive place than California. My wife is bored in Hawaii unless it's Honolulu, so I am researching other options. I'm in love with Australia but it is too far away from my family, so I am considering Mexico.

I have two friends who moved to a place called San Miguel de Allende. Incredible climate, beautiful city and lots of culture and fun, 40% American and European, completely safe because it is protected by the Mexican Government. Always rated among the best Cities in Mexico and the world to live. Located in central Mexico, easy flight back to San Diego. It looks fantastic, I think I am going to take a trip over there to check it out.

So if any of you plan on retiring somewhere else, where will it be?

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Don't want to send this thread wayward - but good palm climate = good growing conditions for that which ultimately becomes narcotics? If so, I would use extreme caution. Afterall, $ talks & the rest walks to the beat of the cartels - government or not. Governments can be bought and tourism dollars are mere pennies to that which elicit drugs can generate. Just my $0.02.

This data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall the providers be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from lost data or lost profits or revenue, the costs of recovering such data, the costs of substitute data, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use the data. Other terms may apply.

Gary,

Even though "growing palms" may be part of your retirement plan, you didn't address this particular (important) issue, and your question, which is an interesting one, is more about retirerment in general so I have to move your thread from "Discussing Palm Trees" to the "Ohana Nui".

Now to your question. First of all, I should mention that "retirement" has a bad connotation for me. It makes me think of someone who has worked hard all their life, then the day comes when they can stop all that hard work, so they transition from "hard work" to "doing nothing" overnight. And croak six months later! Apart from that potentially unpleasant and presumably less desirable outcome, my question really is "what do you want to do with the rest of your life?" To me that's the important issue. I know absolutely nothing about San Miguel de Allende, but to me that question becomes crucial in making such an important decision. What is there to do? I should probably also mention that I got a chuckle out of your "it is protected by the Mexican Government" statement. I can think of a whole lot of comments in reference to that statement, NONE of which would conform with PalmTalk rules, so I'll just refrain. BUT, it does make me think of the Biennial in Costa Rica in May 2008. Every morning I went out for a short run, which took me through a very nice upscale neighborhood, that could easily have fit in anywhere in southern California. Except for the fact that all these nice homes had tall walls. With razor blades and barbed wire on top. And all windows were protected by iron bars. And did I mention the armed guard who was always there? Made me wonder - why are so many Americans leaving the relative safety of their own country to move to another country where they have to live like prisoners?

Anyway, just a couple of loose thoughts! :) I still think Hawaii beats any other place but you already removed it as an option! And forget about Honolulu, unless you have $5 million to spend for a nice house!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Costa Rica Gary.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Gary, I've given this some thought, and I chose Hawaii, for a couple of reasons. One, I don't need to become an expat, get a new passport, etc. Two, its very close to the West Coast. Three, I don't need to go through customs or immigration when coming to the West Coast.

That being said, here is what was (is) on my shortlist, outside the US:

Perth or its surroundings (like the climate, remoteness)

Buenos Aires (another good climate, relatively safe, great food)

Central Chile (good climate, safe, not very crowded)

Arequipa (excellent weather, very inexpensive, access to a lot of stuff)

Singapore (very safe, easy access to all of Asia, no freezing - but expensive)

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Hamakua Coast on the Big Island looks like paradise :drool: :drool: :drool:...actually anywhere in Hawaii is better then here(climatically) .

Other places that might work:

Australia(especially the wet tropics.. Brisbane is ok too)

U.S. territories(American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico etc.)

British territories(Cayman Islands, Bermuda etc.)

French territories(Reunion, New Caledonia, French Guiana etc.)

Singapore(if there's any land...)

South Africa(Durban?)

Japan(Okinawa)

Indonesia(a mountain slope on Bali....:drool:)

Mexico(resort cities on the Yucatan peninsula)

Canary Islands

Mediterranean Coast...

Hong Kong

Then there's Florida, Texas, California, The Gulf States, Arizona...

Maybe my homeland Vietnam depending on the situation in _ years

:) Jonathan

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Alot of different things would have to be considered for such a move imo. For me personally, our climate, although is not considered the best, it's pretty damn good. But, because family is so important to me, I would never leave to live somewhere else and be a long distance from everyone and die a lonely man.. But that's me. Where I definitely WILL NOT be moving is to Mexico. Thanks but no thanks, mi amigo.....

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I of course live Hawaii but the wife hates it. Costa Rica is my second choice, incredible place.

I have a Mexican wife and I love the Mexican culture, it's just incredible how happy and nice the people are down in Mexico. Bo, your point is taken but it is total safe in many parts of Mexico. Obviously the drug lords in the border towns scare people, but in most parts of Mexico there us less crime than in San Diego. For me I want to be close to the mainland so Mexico is perfect. Retiring for me is not waiting to die, it's about beginning to live.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

I agree with Bo about Costa Rica. It is a beaufitul place, no doubt about it, but every single home we saw, whether a little cottage or a huge mansion, had bars on the windows. I could be happy in some beach shack there but I couldn't do that to my wife.

Of all the places in the US, (I will exclude South Florida because I am already here)I would like Hawaii the most. The Hamakua Coast as Xenon picked. I like it even better than Bo's neighborhood. After that would be Texas and then maybe someplace on the Red Neck Riviera.

If I choose a foreign country first would be Australia. The Cassowary Coast. Next up would be New Zealand, easily the most beautiful vistas I've ever seen. Chile would top my list of any place in Latin America.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Yeah, there are a lot of non-palm related issues you need to figure out before you pull the trigger on different countries. Such as, medical care, language, quality of life, taxes, infrastructure, etc.... That makes any choice such as Mexico or Costa Rica a tough one to make. If you've got the language down, you're off to a great start. I know German and French, so that doesn't do me much good in tropical places unless you go with some islands in the Caribbean.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

About your comment Bo that you need tall walls and razor wire in Costa Rica? That surprises me, I thought Costa Rica was safe. In San Miguel you need none of that, it's like being in San Diego.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Gary, Thailand is the hot spot in my book. Still cheap, lots to do, great palm growing area, amazing people, etc. When we go on the IPS biennial, come a week earlier with my wife and I. We are heading down to Krabi. You will dig it.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I know your right Len, one of my friends at work moved there when he retired. My problem is I want to be close to my kid and future grandkids and my home in San Diego which I would hopefully like to keep. It will be interesting, but I want out of San Diego from November to April every year.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Well, since I already live in Australia, I guess Australia will be one of the place I would retire. If I leave Oz, it would be to find a cheaper & better place to retire - it would be either on the mountain in Bali or Java. Since I am Indonesian, hopefully one day, I was hoping... they will change their immigration law and Scott can get permanent residence there.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Is there a reason one must frame this as a single destination? And must one wait for retirement to begin living? Several people I can think of on this board have their primary residence where they work, and a second, sometimes cheaper and more modest residence in a more palm-friendly location.

I can think of other examples. My former manager had a condo in La Jolla and a house in San Miguel de Allende. Like you, his wife was Mexican, and it made her happy, and he didn't mind the tequila. As it happens, he passed away before he ever had the chance to retire, so it was a good thing that they were able to enjoy both places while he was still working. A colleague has a house in San Diego and a ranch in Idaho. Okay, so he grows cattle, not palms! :mrlooney: You get the idea. He has no plans to ever retire because he loves his work.

I should add that priorities change as life progresses, and when the time comes, there may yet be a particular spot in the world that is a good compromise for both of you.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Is there a reason one must frame this as a single destination? And must one wait for retirement to begin living?

BINGO, Kim gets the cookie.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Less expensive AND safe? Good palms AND close to home? Brownsville?

:huh: Might as well live in Mexico(10 miles away)..., not that I have anything against Brownsville, it's my favorite city in TX, although I wouldn't live there....

:) Jonathan

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

I'll stay right here in San Clemente :) People inhabit this whole planet, and they are the same everywhere, as in good and evil. I can roam the roads, rivers, mountains and villiages of the world for the rest of my life, and still find my way back to the best place on Earth!

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

If I had to make my choice today and I couldn't chose Hawaii, it would probably be Costa Rica. Now if you have some time to wait before finding your retirement location you may want to consider Cuba. As crazy as it sounds right now, there are big changes going on in Cuba that eventually should precipitate normal relations with Washington and open up the island nation to US tourism once again. My guess is that in the next 10-15 years Cuba will have a decent size American expat population.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Kim, were not debating the meaning if life or framing this one way or another. Simple question for those that may be interested in moving to another place some day.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Rozpalm, awesome suggestion with Cuba. If Cuba ever opens up it would be incredible.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Australia is pretty good though Gary. And you never know... by then, the airfares would be cheaper!! And since you are an engineer (if I remember correctly), you can always pick up work part time if you feel like it...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I think Guatemala is an incredible place to live.I could never afford two acres on the Pacific when I lived in the US. Most foreigners live in the old colonial capital of Antigua.It has a very vibrant community and is somewhat insulated from the woes faced in other parts of the country.I have lived here now for 22 years and never plan to retire in the tradional manner.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Although Brownsville is a decent option (IMHO), there are many smaller communities down in the Rio Grande Valley that I would choose. You even have the climatic difference of living on the coast with it's high humidity and more rainfall or westward, towards McAllen where it reminds me a lot more of a Phoenix or Tucson climate, being much drier and warmer. Cost of living is very reasonable, personal security is very much like that in any small to medium sized city and hard freezes are truly 20 to 50 yr events (1980s being the exception). Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Philippines is nice --- I bought a hectare there to retire on and grow palms and plants I cant grow in North FL.

Not to bad of medical facilities around Subic--- prices are cheap and I have some relatives there ---

Best regards

Ed

Gary your place looks like the perfect place to retire ! :drool:

Some places in Mexico i have seen on travel shows look really nice but the only way to experience it is first hand by living down there for a few months .

Coastal Australia is beautiful and from Kiama just south of Sydney (where colin is from ) all the way up to Cairns one could grow a good collection of palms although it can be very expensive on the coast .

here check out this Hacienda in Byron bay

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-acreage+semi+rural-nsw-byron+bay-106905226 :D

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

THE CASSOWARY COAST is a very nice place to live [ thanks for thinking of it Jerry ] and I have retired here :rolleyes:

Some relatively cheap places for sale , esp. compared with that place in Byron !

Those pesky floods don't worry us much .

And things grow so quick , you appreciate cyclone blowing a few biggies down to make way for something new :unsure:

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Gary, you could always retire living in a van, down by the river. No property taxes, minimal upkeep.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

AT least you'll get a pension... you can AFFORD to retire..... lol

They will have to wake me up to tell me its time to go.......

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Australia would be a dream but I would be heartbroken away from my family that much distance. I have six years to decide, but I want to move somewhere. Many of the options here look promising. Another great option is Baja California, the whole coast line is amazing and you can grow coconut palms. Prices are reasonable and you can take a short flight or drive back to the U.S. Cycads would also love the semi arid environment of Baja.

Australia is pretty good though Gary. And you never know... by then, the airfares would be cheaper!! And since you are an engineer (if I remember correctly), you can always pick up work part time if you feel like it...

Regards, Ari :)

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

That pension is my ticket, but I put a ton of money into it so I deserve what I get Bill.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Gary, This is a very interesting post to me as it is something my wife and I talk about often. I love Cali but I don't see us retiring here. There taxing us to death here and I have a runaway water bill that will only increase in years to come. I probably can't add alot to help as I have not been to that many countries. Steph and I went to Tahiti and Moorea for our 10th anniversary and absolutely loved it but they are small islands and I could see myself getting rock fever. We kind of bought our place on the big island with retirement in mind but with kids and jobs timing is everything. It could happen as soon as a year or as long as who knows? I do not plan on retiring but simply spend more time doing what I want to do in life and less time doing what I have to do. For me the big island has it all. Friendly people, warm weather and water, activities like snorkeling, surfing, hiking and exploring, fishing, kayaking and FREE WATER! Also because it is a big island I will not get rock fever! Good luck in what ever you decide Gary. Wherever you decide stay there often and check under the hood before you buy.

Stevo

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

That pension is my ticket, but I put a ton of money into it so I deserve what I get Bill.

Gary

Wait Gary. I think Len and I and some others helped pay for your pension too.... :lol:

Its OK, for you I don't mind.... :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Come to Aus Gary, North Queensland is not expensive, heaps to do and one of the safest places in the world and as Michael pointed out, things grow extremely fast here :) The flights arent that long to the US :lol:

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

I think it is important that the climate is agreable for a pensioner and is mild. That is why I wouldn´t go for the tropics. In advanced age it is just too hot and muggy. A nice, mild climate with spring-like weather and maximum palmgrowing potential would be the island of Madeira. What about LHI or new caledonia?

Cheers Jason

Jason Baker

Central coastal Portugal

Zone 10a, 1300mm rain

warm-temperate, oceanic climate

looking for that exotic tropical island look

About your comment Bo that you need tall walls and razor wire in Costa Rica? That surprises me, I thought Costa Rica was safe. In San Miguel you need none of that, it's like being in San Diego.

This is an interesting thread. I also really find it hard to think about retirement. Especially since I am 59 years old and have two baby boys. But, that being said I am where I want to be anyway. If one lives in Latin America, for the most part they need to accept the way things are. For one the police are frequently as much of a problem as the criminals. That is the case in Brazil and for sure it is also in Costa Rica. I left Brazil on vacaction to get robbed in Costa Rica. While in San Jose waiting to get our documents in order as they were all stolen I taliked to quite a few people about crime and life in Costa Rica. Costa Rica has many of the same problems as Brazil and in many respects maybe even worse. The police are not efficient, in fact the afternoon I spent at the police station after being robbed was interesting. The police there are much more poorly equiped than the ones we have here. The legal system gets people out of jail quickly, and when in jail they are not re habilitated. As here jail is a school of crime. One of the reasons for razor wire fences and electric wire fences is that you can not count of the police. So, you have to protect yourself. Electric fences have become very common here. I do not like them, but they are effective for the most part. No one even mentioned Brazil in this thread. But, for beautiful tropical places to live Brazil is hard to beat. It is expensive in USD today. And, despite the security problems has a vital urban life that can be very enjoyable. I personally love Manaus and Amazonia. Manaus probably could not be considered much of a place to retire though. It is a city of 2 million, growing quickly, and most americans probably would not adapt too well.

I guess home is where your heart is. I love the fact that in a half an hour from town I have to watch the trail to make sure a jaguar does not jump on my back. And, I live on the most beautiful river in the world, the Rio Negro.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Kim, were not debating the meaning if life or framing this one way or another. Simple question for those that may be interested in moving to another place some day.

Oh, YES we are! :lol:

If that was too philosophical for you, what will you do with your time in (what some might call) artsy-fartsy San Miguel de Allende at 6500 ft elevation? Write crime novels by the fireside? And Mexico is not cheap anymore, prices are not so different from the US.

My own pick for Mexico would have to be coastal, and where it's warm at night, like outside Puerto Vallarta. (See Oside Terry's photos from his trips there.)

Obviously I have already made my choice in Hawaii. Have you and your wife visited Maui? Could that be a compromise? Enough city life to keep her entertained, but enough rain and warmth for your palms? Much easier to get to than SM de A, too, and plenty of cheap direct flights from San Diego. Book now! Get out of town! I can tell you've got the winter blues.

Best of luck with your search, I hope you find your dream location.

• Like 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Come to Aus Gary, North Queensland is not expensive, heaps to do and one of the safest places in the world and as Michael pointed out, things grow extremely fast here :) The flights arent that long to the US :lol:

I agree, Australia is pound for pound the most beautiful place in the world for what I like. I would definately choose north Qns by the ocean. If things work out well where I can afford to keep my ranch in San Deigo so I can spend a few months at a time here with my kids, then i'll be your neighbor. I have six years left to work this out when I retire. The other thing I like about Australia is the way you guys talk, that alone is worth moving there. Australian accents and use of the english language is a riot to us Americans, in a good way.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido