IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anza-Borrega Park

palmmermaid

We are going for a week in Anza-Borrego Park later this month. Any of you San Diego residents know anything about it? How are the roads going in? We are flying into John Wayne airport and driving. I will be taking a Certified Interpreter Guide course for a week there.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

One week there! Wow, that's a long time! When we lived in San Diego, one of my favorite excursions when we had visitors was to drive to Julian, up in the mountains (cool weather, and in a forest setting) and then head down the mountain. Half an hour later and you're in Borrego Springs, out in the desert, and in those 30 minutes you experience the most dramatic change in weather and terrain that you could ever experience in such a short time span, anywhere I think. I always stayed on the main road going into Borrego so don't know anything about "off roading".

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo,

Thanks for the update. Yes, a week. The class is 5 days and we are spending a couple of extra days. We are thinking about going on over to the Salton Sea since we will be close.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Salton Sea is interesting, but not much to see. It's a pretty remote area.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I just had lunch at the entrance to the park a few days ago.. Thursday I think? A long ways from anything... Figure a minimum 3 hour drive from John Wayne..

But with all the rain, many of the colors are showing that are normally not there.

Any road within 60 miles of Borrego is 2 lane only and generally paved fine...

Plus, my favorite longest name for a road in the county is out there... "the great overland stage route of 1849"...doesn't all fit on the sign well...lol

Salton is about an hour and a half from there... In reality, your are only 3-4 hours from almost anything in So Cal.

Let me know more, maybe I can say hi!

Enjoy!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Salton Sea is interesting, but not much to see. It's a pretty remote area.

Has a pretty ripe smell to it also..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

What route are you taking? The roads are good, all paved highways, but if we have a lot of rain between now and then, it's possible there could be storm damage. Check with the California Highway Patrol before you set out: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/Hourly

You may be lucky enough to see wildflowers beginning to bloom. There are lots of great hikes to pictograph sites, native palm groves, stark canyons, abandoned mines and railroad tunnels and trestles. (Some of this is outside the park to the south.) You may see big horn sheep, and a sky full of stars at night. Have a great time and take lots of pictures!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

The cool thing about the desert is that at first glance there doesn't seem to be much around, but if forces you to slow down and start taking a closer inspection at things. You'll soon find that it's teaming with life everywhere.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Thanks for all the feedback!

Not sure what road we will take from John Wayne yet. I will definitely check with the CHP before we leave! I am really hoping the wildflowers will be blooming. I actually find the desert very beautiful. And I can't wait to see all the stars!

I will have 3 free days and my husband will be free every day while I am in class. I am sure there are many places for him to explore. I plan on getting to see the pictographs. We are also planning on at least a half day on horseback. We will take lots of pictures and post them here.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

the best time to see wildflowers in bloom is around easter.

the hike up palm canyon in the state park is highly recommended...by me. :lol:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Meg:

Sounds like a heck of a trip!

I agree with Bo, that drive from Julian to the desert is mind-blowing, if you do it in the summer, especially. 65-75 F in Julian up to 120+ F in the desert.

And, of course there are many here along the coast who would be delighted to show off their palm gardens to you, if you have the time . . . . :winkie:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Borrego Springs is an interesting place to drive around.

Some pretty impressive vacation homes around the place. The Avery family (Avery Business Products) owns most of the country around the town and have an excentric family member who is into metal sculptures and has placed 100's of them in the desert around the town.

Carley's Bar in town has the best hamburgers "Carley Burgers", there is also a Fudge/Icecream shop run by a couple of elderly Canadians who come down for the Winter, the service is slow but the fudge is great.

There is a store at the back of the Mall behind Coldwell Bankers called "Borrego Outfitters" that is also worth a visit.

Palm wise there is "Ellis Tree Farms" located to the north of town, They grow a lot of Washies but have some pretty impressive stands of Sabal "Riverside"

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Sorry, Kitty, had me an early senior moment . . . .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave,

No problem! I have those every once in a while!

Bruce,

Thanks for all the local information! That certainly helps. We will be there for 8 days so should have time for everything you listed. And my husband will defintely want a Carley Burger!

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Palm Canyon hike is a must. I really like Borrego Springs a lot, you should have a good time.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Here's a link to a topic of mine that includes Borrego Palm Canyon photos

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=22560&st=0&gopid=441668&#entry441668

I know there are other cool places to go there (of varying difficulty to get to). Fonts Point, Goat Canyon Trestle, and slot canyons are places friends of mine have hiked.

The weather is almost always good out there, often when it's raining on the coast.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Love the painting in the link!

I think we will be taking 79 out of Temecula and then Holcomb Village and Warner Springs and then taking San Felipe Road through Ranchita on S22 on into Borrego Springs. Looks like a wonderful place to visit and spend some time.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Kitty!

I think I will be working out there Thurs morning! Will you be there?

It would be nice to meet.

Bill

Bill,

We will be there the week of 1/24. If you are there, we would love to actually meet!

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

• 3 weeks later...

How is your trip so far?

Sorry, I've been working the opposite end of the county this week... :(

We returned home late last night. The trip was awesome! As soon as my husband has his pictures ready I will post them along with details of the trip. The light was beautiful and the sky was the bluest I've ever seen. Absolutely beautiful weather. My husband saw 14 penisula bighorn sheep on his second hike - while I was in class! I did not get to see them. Wonderful place. I can understand why people move there - at least in the winter! Visited several palm groves. Wow!

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

• 8 years later...

Video of Borrego Palm Canyon fire in the first grove:

"Borrego Palm Canyon first grove fire yesterday afternoon most likely human caused due to it not being fire season and no lightening."

"Reserve Manager Jim Dice: 'Palm trees are rarely killed by fire and will generate new leaves from the crown rather quickly. The trunks, however, will be blackened and the skirts of dead leaves will be gone up to the current height of the trees. Biggest loss, besides the temporary aesthetic one, is to wildlife habitat. Many species of birds and some bats use the skirts of dead leaves as nesting and roost sites. Owls, orioles, roadrunners and ravens, among others use the skirts.'"

"A fire that burned a grove of palm trees Saturday at Borrego Palm Canyon Trailhead has been contained, officials said. The half-acre fire was reported at about 1 p.m. with a slow rate of spread, Cal Fire San Diego County said on Twitter. Several hand crews were continuing to fight the brush fire at about 3:30 p.m. and a sheriff’s helicopter was dumping more water loads from a golf course, according to the Anza-Borrego Desert Research Center."

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Any updates?

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

Any updates?

Loss of Borrego Palm Canyon grove a temporary setback

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/communities/north-county/story/2020-01-26/borrego-palm

"Officials say fire along popular trail was started by a juvenile"

"This is not the first time the grove has been in flames. Almost 50 years ago, in May 1970, the same grove burned as a result of some Boy Scouts playing with matches."

"The grove grew back and will again, officials said. 'It’s a temporary disaster in terms of tourism and park visitation,' Dice said. 'But they will come back and there is evidence that seedlings come back gangbusters after fires like this. The ash is rich in nutrients and it can also result in higher rates of flowering and fruit production.'"

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hillizard said:

Loss of Borrego Palm Canyon grove a temporary setback

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/communities/north-county/story/2020-01-26/borrego-palm

"Officials say fire along popular trail was started by a juvenile"

"This is not the first time the grove has been in flames. Almost 50 years ago, in May 1970, the same grove burned as a result of some Boy Scouts playing with matches."

"The grove grew back and will again, officials said. 'It’s a temporary disaster in terms of tourism and park visitation,' Dice said. 'But they will come back and there is evidence that seedlings come back gangbusters after fires like this. The ash is rich in nutrients and it can also result in higher rates of flowering and fruit production.'"

:greenthumb: Have read exactly the same things.. Palms will come back strong come spring, anticipate quite a good year for seed production off of them either this year, or next.. Maybe both.. Yea, might look awful right now, but.. this is part of their ecology, we just have to live with it.. and do our best to avoid causing such a cycle to occur often enough that it tips the scale negatively in regards to how how often these palms can tolerate being burned. Even an ecosystem like fire-dependent Chaparral can disappear completely if fire occurs too frequently.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

HIghway 78 from Escondido to Blythe is a really beautiful drive with quite varied topography.  I have driven it both directions and alway enjoy stopping mid way for a hike to the palm grove.

• Like 2

San Francisco, California

On 5/19/2020 at 7:56 AM, Darold Petty said:

HIghway 78 from Escondido to Blythe is a really beautiful drive with quite varied topography.  I have driven it both directions and alway enjoy stopping mid way for a hike to the palm grove.

San Felipe Rd is an alternative route to the park from Vista via Hwy 76 and 79 that passes Lake Henshaw and Mt. Palomar, and connects to Hwy 78 at Scissors Crossing also.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I took my first trip there this past February. I will definitely be going back again. I hope you had a great time. 

In case anyone was wondering those palms in Palm Canyon have seemed to all come back strong! 

IMG_2038.jpg.92baed35b0e2be6bb8a99292d1ca147f.jpg

IMG_1990.jpg.0a1537d9379d7635b721825ac511d97d.jpg

Font's Point

IMG_2109.jpg.308d0e6e144df819bf41bf507dc49ff2.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/3/2021 at 1:15 PM, Sr. Califas said:

I took my first trip there this past February. I will definitely be going back again. I hope you had a great time. 

In case anyone was wondering those palms in Palm Canyon have seemed to all come back strong! 

IMG_2038.jpg.92baed35b0e2be6bb8a99292d1ca147f.jpg

They seem sooo naked... I bet all of the little critters miss the skirts... Good to see the youngsters doing well..

Butch

• Like 2