TonyDFW

Jubutyagrus hybrids update

iamjv

Great update Buffy! Two good looking hybrids, that yatayxqueen has an interesting shape and color! Nice jub in the bonus pic! One of these days I'm going to need to get up your way and see this spectacular garden of yours!

buffy

Bonus Answers: From left to right: Brahea armata, Phoenix dactylifera x canariensis, Trithrinax schizophylla, Syagrus romanzoffiana 'Mountain Giant', Chamaerops humilis 'Vulcano', Sabal uresana and Jubaea chilensis.

sergiskan

beautyful palms buffy!!...that yatay x queen...ohhh!!!, very cool.

...your Tim´s jubutiagrus grows fast and healthy in your hands.

I have curiosity to see the biggest Tim jubutiagrus,

regards.

Edited by sergiskan

SoulofthePlace

Several years ago (2010) I purchased on Ebay the rare "Jubutyagrus" seedling (cost $100 (88+12) with shipping). It grew some, but then died, was very picky plant. It looked very much like the regular Queen Palm. I'm attaching some photos of it.

SoulofthePlace

Several years ago (2010) I purchased on Ebay the rare "Jubutyagrus" seedling (cost $100 (88+12) with shipping). It grew some, but then died, was very picky plant. It looked very much like the regular Queen Palm. I'm attaching some photos of it.

SoulofthePlace

post-4470-0-02820500-1384877342_thumb.jppost-4470-0-49359800-1384877462_thumb.jppost-4470-0-37263500-1384877531_thumb.jppost-4470-0-07234600-1384877844_thumb.jp

SoulofthePlace

I don´t know if I agree that BxJ are more atractive than JxB.......blink.gif

When I remember the Tauranga JxB in NZ..... :drool: :drool: :drool:

http://www.pbase.com/edgegallery/image/31760206

Alberto, That Tauranga JxB has always been one of my favorites. Malcolm Thomas sent me seeds from this tree years ago, and I have a few of them growing here in Florida. He says that they are likely pollinated by nearby Butia. Unfortunately, they can't handle the heat and humidity here and nearly die every Summer. Through the Winter they recover and lookk great by May-June. I will get a photo and post it later. My largest is still in a 15 gallon container because I have tried it in different locations to avoid heat.

Tim, I am not convinced, I have one that looks very Jubaea like , I dont see 75% butia in it. I have the feeling a few flowers are self pollinating.

I understand the palm is now some distance from the nearest butias since it was moved.

Nigel, I also thought that some must be self pollinating since I have heard reports that the seed sets were heavy. If it is some distance frome Butia you would expect a lower seed set. Here is my oldest Tauranga JxB offspring. I hate to post a picture with it looking like this because it looked so good two months ago. Well, Here it is....OH, and yes , I already know MAUSER..."It look like pure Butia to You" :hmm:

001-5.jpg

002-7.jpg

003-3.jpg

Looks like Butia eriospatha that I have.

krishnaraoji88

I got mine from the same batch at the same time from the same seller and it has done very well. After it gains some size it looks nothing like a queen palm, more like a xButyagrus on steroids. Ive heard reports that there is some variability on the vigor of hybrids so maybe you got a plant with weak genetics?

buffy

I'm thinking of putting a bullet to the head of my Schafer Jubutygrus. It just won't stop brown tipping and yellowing.

SoulofthePlace

I got mine from the same batch at the same time from the same seller and it has done very well. After it gains some size it looks nothing like a queen palm, more like a xButyagrus on steroids. Ive heard reports that there is some variability on the vigor of hybrids so maybe you got a plant with weak genetics?

Yes, probably something went wrong. Now I'm growing a Butyagrus, which I bought at around 3-4 ft. tall. It's in a pot and did not seem to suffer any discolouration at 23F. Am looking to buy F1 hybrid seeds Jubutia, Butiagrus and also a Butia eriospatha (seeds and plants). Preferable parents Butia yatay.

krishnaraoji88

I'm thinking of putting a bullet to the head of my Schafer Jubutygrus. It just won't stop brown tipping and yellowing.

How big is it now?

Alicehunter2000

I would like to see a strait SxJ and JxS hybrid without any Butia influence.

sonoranfans

I also bought a hopper x-jubutyagrus almost 3 years ago. Its 9' tall and looking good. Its a far more upright palm than a queen and is not plumose as a queen is. It initially had some spotting, but that is gone now. It is also more upright in form than my mules. Mine was planted in full sun(6+ hrs) with a very sandy soil mix.

ErikSJI

Has anyone heard from Tim Hopper or is he still missing in action?

tank

Bad picture of one of my Hopper Jubutyagrus. Probably about 8' OA. No problems with this palm.

post-526-0-78749800-1384964084_thumb.jpg

sergiskan

i am agree, there are genetics variations between them, i have various Tim´s jubutiagrus and meanwhile some still growing fast, others slowly and very damaged at the leaflets(brown spots and necrosis)

beautiful jubutiagrus pics!!

Alicehunter2000

bump