IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubutyagrus hybrids update

TonyDFW

Thanks for the update Merrill! I hope one of the local Floridians can go by and take shots of one or both of your babies and update this thread with the photos.... Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Thanks for the update Merrill! I hope one of the local Floridians can go by and take shots of one or both of your babies and update this thread with the photos.... Jv

I was thinking the same thing JV. I can't remember ever seeing a photo of Merrill's Gainseville Jubutyagrus. Sounds like a job for Tank :D

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

I was asking myself, are all Jubutyagrus, I mean JBXQ or BJXQ, are made from JB F2 or BJ F2 crossed with Queen? I know those from Tim are from JB F2, but I also have one from Patrick Schaffer that is a BJ X Q. I thought that it wasn't possible to cross BJ F1 with a Syagrus. Is it actually a BJ F2 X Q?

I know this might be a stupid question for you guys but that will clarify my minds

best regards

julien

ps: one of my Jubutyagrus (from Tim)

dscn7897.jpg

dscn7898.jpg

Hi Raniked,

Patrick has crossed Butia Jubaea (F1) with Syagrus, also Syagrus X (Butia X Jubaea). I have both hybrids and the Bujubagrus has grown much faster and has a heavier texture than the reverse cross. The Syagrus X Bujubaea has a lighter texture and the leaf blades are thinner. They both have endured temps. as low as 25F and been covered with frost with no foliage damage.

Dick

Richard Douglas

To some, seeing is believing..... and that can work some of the time. But unfortunately "seeing characteristics" in a photo or even in person can come up short as a diagnostic in evaluating the variability of hybrids. Even pure species like sabals can be difficult using a mere photo. I have seen such variation in mule palms that being certain in evaluation of the heredity of 3 way hybrids using a photo of a single example seems laughable. :lol: But is is amusing to read the discourse. :D

Haven´t you heard?

One picture's worth a thousand words.

Or: Every picture tells a story (Rod Stewart)

• Upvote 1

Hello all,

I was asking myself, are all Jubutyagrus, I mean JBXQ or BJXQ, are made from JB F2 or BJ F2 crossed with Queen? I know those from Tim are from JB F2, but I also have one from Patrick Schaffer that is a BJ X Q. I thought that it wasn't possible to cross BJ F1 with a Syagrus. Is it actually a BJ F2 X Q?

I know this might be a stupid question for you guys but that will clarify my minds

best regards

julien

Julien, as Dick pointed out, Patrics are from an F1 BxJ. Therefore one might conclude this would be the better choice.

However, even though Tims are from an F2, Tim has a JxB and not a BxJ. The resulting palms are therefore somewhat different. Even though the Jubaea slice is much more diluted in Tims cross, because the Jubaea is on the mothers side the Jubaea influence seems much greater.

There is therefore value in having both crosses.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

I was thinking the same thing JV. I can't remember ever seeing a photo of Merrill's Gainseville Jubutyagrus. Sounds like a job for Tank :D

I can probably find some time to snap a pic of Merrill's Jubutyagrus. Unfortunately it may take me a little longer to get a pic of his Forest Grove plant, although I definitely owe Merrill a visit.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

My Hopper Jubutygrus is growing real strong. I have 4 of them. 2 in the ground. One is a double and has been in the ground 2 seasons. I've also had a Schafer Jubutygrus in the ground for two years. Patric's has a heavier texture and is much more sensitive to iron deficiencies. Tim's is growing faster. My latest frond is as tall as me. In fact, the smaller meristem of the double is a strap leaf with 4 foot strap leaves. Tim's has very thin fronds. Fine texture. Very green. Slight twist to the fronds. A little hint of plumosity. Growing well. I have trouble keeping Patric's happy. Needs extra iron all the time. I also give it micros in chelated form. Lots of tip burn. Growing good though. Part of the problem may be its proximity to a saltwater pool, but who knows. Just trickier.

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

Buffy, need some pics of those babies!!! Good to hear they came through the horrid winter we had! Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Wow, thats a great shot of Merrills jubutiagrus, its been some years since I saw a pic.

I am surprised it has not trunked more in that time, I would be interested to know if merrill thinks it is trunking at a slower rate than regular butyagrus or about the same.

Resident in Bristol UK.

JV: Here's a picture of my biggest Hopper Jubutygrus. Real thin fronds. Very green. Real dainty. It took our 4-5 days below freezing with no damage. Only wrapped it with a blanket. The back frond is 6 feet extended. Hard to get a real good picture of this one. This thing gets full sun most of day, but each frond really wants to stretch. Every frond is noticeably larger than the last.

post-60-007196800 1317853495_thumb.jpg

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

Hi, Tank:

Thank you very much for the photo of one of my XJubutyagrus. Will try to photograph both XJubutyagrus at greater maturity and ask you to post them.

Best Wishes,

merrill

JV: Here's a picture of my biggest Hopper Jubutygrus. Real thin fronds. Very green. Real dainty. It took our 4-5 days below freezing with no damage. Only wrapped it with a blanket. The back frond is 6 feet extended. Hard to get a real good picture of this one. This thing gets full sun most of day, but each frond really wants to stretch. Every frond is noticeably larger than the last.

post-60-007196800 1317853495_thumb.jpg

Did you have 4-5 days of prolonged freezing!?

Or only for a few hours per night?

Marcel

Did you have 4-5 days of prolonged freezing!?

Or only for a few hours per night?

Marcel

Yes. I went online to see exactly what happened. We fell to freezing on the evening of Feb 1st, barely touched 33F early in the morning on the 2nd and then fell through the 20s that afternoon to an ultimate low of 15F with high winds. It didn't reach freezing again until the 6th. It was also snowy and wet. Some of my Texas brothers out West got much worse. I had a lot of palms that lost their spears. A few perished. The Hopper Jubutygrus was wrapped with a blanket and then covered with a trash bag. It came through unscathed. My Schafer Jubutygrus lost its spear but recovered quickly.

Thanks for posting your palm Buffy! That seems to be in a good location being close to the house and having some what of a micro climate. Hope it does well for you there! Remind me if you have deep soils or not???? Thanks.

Thanks for posting your palm Buffy! That seems to be in a good location being close to the house and having some what of a micro climate. Hope it does well for you there! Remind me if you have deep soils or not???? Thanks.

Soils are variable. No basement rock though. This area has sandy fill dirt. Red clay underneath. This one and my Butia yatay X Syagrus rom. are really building momentum. Again, I note that this one is a double. You can see the strap leaves of the little sister shooting up. Those straps are around 4 feet long. This will be fun to watch over the years.

Thanks for the soil info.... those palms should luv that! The clay underneath should help in years like this one with the drought we've had. Jv

My Jubutyagrus from Tim Hopper has really put all my other palms to shame. It has grown 4 fronds since i received it (now on 5th)!!! Growing very fast once again thanks to the late september/october(record breaking) heatwave :)

Me recorded lows:

winter 2010/2011 lowest: -17c (1f)

winter 2009/1010 lowest: -15c (5f)

winter 2008/2009 lowest: -10c (14f)(normal)

Zone: 8a

Elevation: 495 feet

This one went into the ground a couple of months ago.

It is in a spot where a small beccariophoenix alfredii died last winter.

I wonder about the coming winter...

post-3292-099062200 1318802330_thumb.jpg

This one went into the ground a couple of months ago.

It is in a spot where a small beccariophoenix alfredii died last winter.

I wonder about the coming winter...

post-3292-099062200 1318802330_thumb.jpg

This hybrid will take anything winter in your 9B zone can throw at it. Even so, since it is a first winter seedling I would stack some hay around it for this year. This will give it a better start next summer when it will establish its roots.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

• 2 weeks later...

My new XJubutyagrus seeds are ripe and cleaned. If anyone is interested in getting seeds, click on this link. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260842753057

010-1.jpg

I bought some seeds from Tim, posted on the 28th August, arrived here 16th october. 2 days soaking and sowed on 18th October.

9 days later and multiple eyes popping from germinations. Unbelievable.

I never had such fast and impressive germination from any hybrid seeds.

Resident in Bristol UK.

• 4 months later...

Could someone please identify this palm? What kind of palm is this? How old is it? My best guess would be Syagrus romanzoffiana, the Queen Palm? About 2 years old?

Also, are those cobwebs (seen on the bases of petioles of this palm) harmful to a palm?

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers and help.

post-4470-018924300 1330705319_thumb.jpg

post-4470-032818500 1330705393_thumb.jpg

post-4470-084775600 1330705490_thumb.jpg

Average day temperatures: +17°C in the winter and +24°C in the summer. Typical Summer: 68F to 77F (20C to 25C). Typical Winter: 55F to 64F (12C to 18C). Record Low (past 5 years): 45F or +7.7C (once a winter, some winters). Record High (past 5 years): 83F or +28C (some days only). Elevation 140 m (459 ft.) to 160 m (525 ft.), latitude 38.54º. Sunset Zone: unknown

• 3 weeks later...

Up this thread to ask if somebody know if there is someone who's made a hand pollinated [JxB], clearly identified seeds ?

Emasculate flower at 15+ meters elevation on a ladder, it wouldn't be very easy.

Jean-bernard

crazy sower

city : Nantes, France,

Patrick Schafer has Jubaea X Butia plants (clearly identifiefd), also Jubaea X (Bujubaea).

Dick

Richard Douglas

Patrick Schafer has Jubaea X Butia plants (clearly identifiefd), also Jubaea X (Bujubaea).

Dick

Dick, Is Patrick Schafer's plants was hand pollinated ? if yes, in which year did he make that for the first time ?

Jean-bernard

crazy sower

city : Nantes, France,

Could someone please identify this palm? What kind of palm is this? How old is it? My best guess would be Syagrus romanzoffiana, the Queen Palm? About 2 years old?

Also, are those cobwebs (seen on the bases of petioles of this palm) harmful to a palm?

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers and help.

It looks like parajubaea to me, i would say 3 or 4 years old.

It is infested with red spider mite, which will damage the plant if left untreated.

Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...

My Hopper Jubutygrus is growing real strong. I have 4 of them. 2 in the ground. One is a double and has been in the ground 2 seasons. I've also had a Schafer Jubutygrus in the ground for two years. Patric's has a heavier texture and is much more sensitive to iron deficiencies. Tim's is growing faster. My latest frond is as tall as me. In fact, the smaller meristem of the double is a strap leaf with 4 foot strap leaves. Tim's has very thin fronds. Fine texture. Very green. Slight twist to the fronds. A little hint of plumosity. Growing well. I have trouble keeping Patric's happy. Needs extra iron all the time. I also give it micros in chelated form. Lots of tip burn. Growing good though. Part of the problem may be its proximity to a saltwater pool, but who knows. Just trickier.

Buffy

My jbq has yellowing leaves....is that the same symptom as yours when you say that your jbq needs extra iron all the time?

Is there an "iron-only" amendment to add?

Many thanks.

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

Buffy

My jbq has yellowing leaves....is that the same symptom as yours when you say that your jbq needs extra iron all the time?

Many thanks.

Yeah, probably. I use Ironite on all the hybrids (has plenty of chelated minors too). It won't fix the older fronds, but the new ones will look good. The old fronds may show some green spotting on the yellow fronds.

I also put quite a bit of slow release fertilizer around the bases of my palms and l add kelp meal too. They just need good feeding. These sandy soils don't hold a lot of nutrients. Feed those palms a lot. Everyone can't have Gary Levine's soil. Most of us have to struggle with regular dirt.

Buffy

Many thanks.

I find Sequestrene FE works wonders.

Martin Farris, San Angelo, TX

San Angelo Cold Hardy Palms and Cycads

Jul - 92F/69F, Jan - 55F/31F

Lows:

02-03: 18F;

03-04: 19F;

04-05: 17F;

05-06: 11F;

06-07: 13F;

07-08: 14F 147.5 Freezing Degree-Hours http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ee+hours\;

08-09: 23F;

09-10: 12F 467.6 Freezing Degree Hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 24.2F;

10-11: 13F 1,059.5 Freezing Degree Hours with Strong Winds/Rain/Snow/Sleet, Average Temperature During Freeze 19.4F;

Record low -4F in 1989 (High of 36F that p.m.) 1,125.2 freezing degree hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.6F;

Record Freeze 1983: 2,300.3 Freezing Degree Hours with a low of 5F, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.7F.

Thanks Buffy and Martin. Please post current photos if possible.

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

• 4 months later...

hello

... good growth for my climate ... maybe faster than the butiagrus in my inexperienced hands ...

... I really like the look begins to show ...newly planted last month ....

post-1753-042015800 1314049572_thumb.jpg

...best regards.

hello.

this palm grows really well in my climate...

...we have high levels of humidity, soft frost in the winter and high temp. in the summer.(this year 113 degrees fahrenheit)

after one year in the ground...

post-1753-0-76895500-1348678996_thumb.jp

best regards.

Edited by sergiskan

I made these picture in Tuscany's Island, not far from the coast, what do you think about? Is it a Butiagrus or something else? It's in a garden full of Jubaea and Butia and Brahea and other palms (mostly over pruned :wacko: )

6981994654_371b74ae8c_z.jpg

6990107230_2396bba4cf_z.jpg

Federico

Ravenna , Italy

USDA 8a\b

16146.gif

Time for ye ole update photos:

First, Hopper Jubutygrus. Big Red can in the lower fronds for scale. Very graceful pendulous fronds with a twist:

2012-09-28_18-17-38_925.jpg

Second, Schafer Yatay X Queen. Burnt to the ground in Winter of 2010-2011. Bigger now. Big Red can for scale:

2012-09-28_18-18-33_559.jpg

Third, Bonus pic. Can you count the number of species and cultivars of palms in this pic:

2012-09-28_18-19-26_154.jpg

Finally, another bonus pic. Attalea dubia with Big Red can for scale:

2012-09-28_18-20-03_651.jpg