IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubutyagrus hybrids update

TonyDFW

I got this JubeaX ButiaX Syagrus hybrid from Patrick a couple of years ago. Here are my results in a mostly shaded USDA zone 8b. Dallas
My Jubutyagrus has gone through two growing season and is now in its second winter. Here are some images.
TonysGarden2011006.jpg
2011 Jan
TonysGarden2011008.jpg
Jan 2011
100APPLEIMG_0085.jpg
Tonysgarden2009019-7.jpg
This is a picture 2 years ago in Dec, 2009 after 24F.
Does anyone have experience with this hybrid?
What has your experience been with them?
Thanks.

Not setting the world on fire growth wise, but you had a tough winter last year. I'd say that guy is gonna be a winner.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I have a few strap leaf seedling of this palm I received from from Tim Hopper this past september. It looks slower than I thought, but perhaps that is the shade. I am planning on putting mine in full sun, perhaps that will make them faster. Its an interesting looking palm, very little of the capitata V leaflet profile or recurve of the frond, but it divided the leaflets early compared with syagrus and appears to have more rigid leaflets than syagrus. It also does not appear to be as plumose and is darker green than my mule palm, interesting. I fully expect it to be a sub 20 degree cold tolerance palm, which means immune to cold here. It will be nice to see how this one works in your garden tony, please keep us updated and thanks for the post.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I HAVE BEEN DISTRIBUTING THESE FOR ABOUT A YEAR NOW. MAYBE SOME PHOTOS WILL START COMING IN SOON. I THINK THEY GROW PRETTY FAST. THIS IS MY LARGEST AT 19 MONTHS FROM GERMINATION. TIM

039.jpg

036.jpg

035.jpg

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

I have a Schafer Jubutygrus and Hopper Jubutygrus growing close to each other. The Schafer hybrid is 3+ years old. The Hopper hybrid is 1+ years old. The Hopper hybrid is definitely faster. The growing conditions certainly haven't been apple-to-apples, but the Hopper hybrid is pushing out pinnate leaves. It took the Schafer hybrid almost 2 full years before it even threatened to send pinnate fronds up. I think a lot of it has to do with how quickly you get them in the ground. I no longer wait for them to go pinnate before putting them in the dirt. I can always protect. Palms simply do better in the dirt. I have a Schafer Butia X Parajubaea going in the dirt on April 1st. I also have a couple of more Hopper hybrids I'm gonna squeeze somewhere.

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

This is one beauty palm with lots of elegance and grace. Imagine the trunk will look something like a parajubaea. Filter sunlight with direct sun half a day.

Planted two years ago as a seedling from Patrick. Second photo: Taken last summer, sorry no updated photos.

36525173.jpg115c3f60.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

I have a Schafer Jubutygrus and Hopper Jubutygrus growing close to each other. The Schafer hybrid is 3+ years old. The Hopper hybrid is 1+ years old. The Hopper hybrid is definitely faster. The growing conditions certainly haven't been apple-to-apples, but the Hopper hybrid is pushing out pinnate leaves. It took the Schafer hybrid almost 2 full years before it even threatened to send pinnate fronds up. I think a lot of it has to do with how quickly you get them in the ground. I no longer wait for them to go pinnate before putting them in the dirt. I can always protect. Palms simply do better in the dirt. I have a Schafer Butia X Parajubaea going in the dirt on April 1st. I also have a couple of more Hopper hybrids I'm gonna squeeze somewhere.

I dont know about the pinnate separation and in the ground cameron. One of mine is already showing some leaflet separation and its a pretty small seedling just upgraded from a 3 gallon to a 5 gallon pot. It has seen full florida sun after 3 weeks acclimation with morning sun. It looks to be half the size of some of the strap leafers in this thread. I was thinking what genes are doing this? I know butia open early, and syagrus late, but what about jubaea?? When I look at my jubutiagrus and compare to my x-butiagrus, the color of the jubutiagrus is a deeper medium green, not a syagrus green(dark green) but very nice.

Tom Blank

I dont know about the pinnate separation and in the ground cameron. One of mine is already showing some leaflet separation and its a pretty small seedling just upgraded from a 3 gallon to a 5 gallon pot. It has seen full florida sun after 3 weeks acclimation with morning sun. It looks to be half the size of some of the strap leafers in this thread. I was thinking what genes are doing this? I know butia open early, and syagrus late, but what about jubaea?? When I look at my jubutiagrus and compare to my x-butiagrus, the color of the jubutiagrus is a deeper medium green, not a syagrus green(dark green) but very nice.

Tom Blank

I have a Schafer Jubutygrus and Hopper Jubutygrus growing close to each other. The Schafer hybrid is 3+ years old. The Hopper hybrid is 1+ years old. The Hopper hybrid is definitely faster.

Patric´s Jubutiagrus have 1/4 jubaea blood and Tim Hoppers 1/8 (or am I wrong?) so this can be the reason they are somewhat slower.

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Yes Alberto it appears that Tims mother plant was a Bu x Ju x Bu. I am happy to have the faster hybrid if that is the case. I am hoping to use it as canopy before I get too old. I do really like the looks of patricks hybrid, but it looks too slow for use as canopy in the next decade. Tims hybrid sounds more like a mule with a jubaea punch(1/8 jubaea, 3/8 butia, 1/2 syagrus). It will be very interesting to see the differences between then and the variation within each hybrid.

Tom Blank

I thought Tim's are JxBxS and Patric's are BxJxS?

I had one from Patric that went pinnate in summer of 2009, then was defoliated last winter, started growing a new spear in the spring, but rotted from all the cold rain we had in the spring.

I have 6 from Tim that are going pinnate in 4 gallon citrus pots that I stick in the garage on cold nights.

Martin Farris, San Angelo, TX

San Angelo Cold Hardy Palms and Cycads

Jul - 92F/69F, Jan - 55F/31F

Lows:

02-03: 18F;

03-04: 19F;

04-05: 17F;

05-06: 11F;

06-07: 13F;

07-08: 14F 147.5 Freezing Degree-Hours http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ee+hours\;

08-09: 23F;

09-10: 12F 467.6 Freezing Degree Hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 24.2F;

10-11: 13F 1,059.5 Freezing Degree Hours with Strong Winds/Rain/Snow/Sleet, Average Temperature During Freeze 19.4F;

Record low -4F in 1989 (High of 36F that p.m.) 1,125.2 freezing degree hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.6F;

Record Freeze 1983: 2,300.3 Freezing Degree Hours with a low of 5F, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.7F.

I had one from Patric that went pinnate in summer of 2009, then was defoliated last winter, started growing a new spear in the spring, but rotted from all the cold rain we had in the spring.

I have 6 from Tim that are going pinnate in 4 gallon citrus pots that I stick in the garage on cold nights.

I stand corrected, in the Ebay add the x jubutiagrus Tim described as((JxB) xS). So it was not back crossed w/butia. He had discussed his back crossed palm in the thread and I made an assumptive error. I am curious to see if the differences between tims and Patricks hybrids can be explained...

Edited by sonoranfans

Tom Blank

I stand corrected, in the Ebay add the x jubutiagrus Tim described as((JxB) xS). So it was not back crossed w/butia. He had discussed his back crossed palm in the thread and I made an assumptive error. I am curious to see if the differences between tims and Patricks hybrids can be explained...

patrics are probably ( BxJ )xS which can explain the difference.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

It's just been my limited experience that dirt equals faster growth in palms.

Other observations: Tim's Jubutygruses (holy word...we need a better name for these suckers.......how about Trinity Palms). Yes, I like the idea of calling them Trinity Palms because they're trigeneric and kinda of a holy grail hybrid for us deep freeze boys. Feel free to ignore me. Well anyway, as a I was saying another observation is that Tim's Jubuty....I mean Trinity Palm, is darker green than Patric's. ;)

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

Has anyone observed at what temperature one of Tim's Jubutyagrus sustains cold damage of any description?

I have had one of Patric's Bujubagrus (I think that is right) planted out for a couple of Winters here in the UK. Last Winter it had foliage damage and spear pulled in the Spring, Winter minimum hit 20F, but this was it's first Winter. This Winter it has had a bit of protection and looks good so far. Temperatures hit 16F in December here.

It's just been my limited experience that dirt equals faster growth in palms.

Other observations: Tim's Jubutygruses (holy word...we need a better name for these suckers.......how about Trinity Palms). Yes, I like the idea of calling them Trinity Palms because they're trigeneric and kinda of a holy grail hybrid for us deep freeze boys. Feel free to ignore me. Well anyway, as a I was saying another observation is that Tim's Jubuty....I mean Trinity Palm, is darker green than Patric's. ;)

I have noted above that Tims x jubutiagrus were notably darker(many shades) than my x butiagrus, but lighter than a queen. The color of the strap leaves is stunning, a soft satin color, less waxy than the darker queen leaf. I looked up some pics of jubaea seedlings and the color was remarkably similar, at least in the pics. I am not a botanist and not a grower who hybridizes palms, but I understand that the hybrid plant takes on the features of the mother more than the father. In the first stage this would mean a J x B is more "jubaea like" than a B x J which would be more "butia like". It would then be puzzling that a (J x B)x S would grow faster than a (B x J)x S as jubaeas are about as slow as any palm.

Daniel: I dont know how large your palms are but dont evaluate cold hardiness on small palms, its not a reliable way to estimate the cold hardiness of the mature palm as small ones are so close to the ground and have small trunks that offer less insulation to the bud area. If I lived in a very cold area, I would probably keep my palms in containers longer so I could keep the roots warm(grow faster) for more months of the year, and they are easier to protect from cold.

Edited by sonoranfans

Tom Blank

I have five jubutyagrus seedlings from Tim Hooper, since last August, still potted, still acclimatizing, in partial shade and, these coolder days, indoors.

I have another one, bought from Germany (hello Joerg!), formerly came from Patrick. This one is bigger, but is still potted. As it was so expensive to me, i am protecting it as i do with the seedlings.

Later i will show pics.

I have a Jubutyagrus from Patric Schafer and it is my favorite- a very fast grower. I grew it to a 5 gal size for the first year, and planted it in July of 2009. It suffered double spear pull from last winter's low of 15*, but is was small. After the spear pulled, I kept the top dry, applied fungicide and it grew out fast. This growing season it nearly tripled in size. I've attached pics (from today)that show the first two spears that grew out after double spear pull. It is growing faster than my Tim Hopper butyagrus that was planted in 2004- I attached a pic of it. The butyagrus was a 1 gal strap leaf when planted. I am growing a Tim Hopper jubutyagrus to see how it does- it is attractive.

post-263-036691000 1294111325_thumb.jpg

post-263-017129300 1294111312_thumb.jpg

post-263-075529600 1294111337_thumb.jpg

post-263-095336400 1294111360_thumb.jpg

post-263-046494300 1294111384_thumb.jpg

post-263-086840700 1294111489_thumb.jpg

The one I got from Patrick said (J x B)x S on the tag, but I like to try one from Tim.

Edited by Palm crazy

I have a Schafer Butia X Jubaea X Syagrus that was planted in the ground about 2.5 years ago. It was a 5 gal. size with pinnate fronds. It grew very slowly the first year, but now with a swollen trunk base about the size of a grapefruit it has speeded growth considerably. I have found that all the Cocoid hybrids speed in growth once the base of the trunk swells, and the more sun you can give them, the better.

Dick

Richard Douglas

I have a Jubutyagrus from Patric Schafer and it is my favorite- a very fast grower. I grew it to a 5 gal size for the first year, and planted it in July of 2009. It suffered double spear pull from last winter's low of 15*, but is was small. After the spear pulled, I kept the top dry, applied fungicide and it grew out fast. This growing season it nearly tripled in size. I've attached pics (from today)that show the first two spears that grew out after double spear pull. It is growing faster than my Tim Hopper butyagrus that was planted in 2004- I attached a pic of it. The butyagrus was a 1 gal strap leaf when planted. I am growing a Tim Hopper jubutyagrus to see how it does- it is attractive.

post-263-036691000 1294111325_thumb.jpg

post-263-017129300 1294111312_thumb.jpg

post-263-075529600 1294111337_thumb.jpg

post-263-095336400 1294111360_thumb.jpg

post-263-046494300 1294111384_thumb.jpg

post-263-086840700 1294111489_thumb.jpg

Very nice matt! that one sure is a beauty! I am encouraged to hear about the growth speed pickup from you and Dick. I am counting on using my 3 jubutiagrus as canopy to protect more tender palms from frost. Its great to have growers out there hybridizing species so that we have all these choices for cold hardy palms.

Tom Blank

This one is from Patrick. It says "(Jubaea x Butia) x Queen".

post-3292-006633300 1294140515_thumb.jpg

This is one of five, from Tim Hooper.

post-3292-066250600 1294140563_thumb.jpg

My understanding is Patric does his hybrids at Dick's, and the Jubutiagrus come from Dick's monster B x J. Not sure Dick even has a flowering J x B. Technically, I guess they should be called Bujubeagrus.

Lows:

07-08: 14F 147.5 Freezing Degree-Hours http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ee+hours\;

09-10: 12F 467.6 Freezing Degree Hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 24.2F;

10-11: 13F 1,059.5 Freezing Degree Hours with Strong Winds/Rain/Snow/Sleet, Average Temperature During Freeze 19.4F;

Record low -4F in 1989 (High of 36F that p.m.) 1,125.2 freezing degree hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.6F;

Record Freeze 1983: 2,300.3 Freezing Degree Hours with a low of 5F, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.7F.

Tim´s are {(Jubaea x Butia) x Butia} x Syagrus rom.

Take alook: ´´........ I do have a JuButia x Butia .....´´

http://www.palmtalk....h=1

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

Yes Alberto, My Mother Jubutia is an F2, but displays a lot of Jubaea characteristics.

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Yes Alberto, My Mother Jubutia is an F2, but displays a lot of Jubaea characteristics.

Yes Jubutias,even the F2 have strong Jubaea characteristics

Patric´s Bujubeagrus.have 25% Jubaea blood and TimHoppers Jubutiagrus have 12,5% Jubaea but the Jubaegrus generally shows a lot of Jubaea characteristics.

It will be interesting to see the differences between this 2 hybrids in futute!

These are photos taken today of my largest XJubutyagrus 19 months old from germination. This one has been outdoors in the open during our cold weather. It actually speeded growth when the weather got cooler in Fall. We have had 14 freezes already this Winter with multiple frosts. Our coldest night was 23f and freeze lasted 9 hours. That is not that cold for this hybrid, and not a true test of cold hardiness. It shows no damage at all from the freezes. If it were going to get below 20f, I would bring it in at this size. I am going to plant this one in the ground in March. Tim

003-2.jpg

002-2.jpg

001-2.jpg

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

These are photos taken today of my largest XJubutyagrus 19 months old from germination. This one has been outdoors in the open during our cold weather. It actually speeded growth when the weather got cooler in Fall. We have had 14 freezes already this Winter with multiple frosts. Our coldest night was 23f and freeze lasted 9 hours. That is not that cold for this hybrid, and not a true test of cold hardiness. It shows no damage at all from the freezes. If it were going to get below 20f, I would bring it in at this size. I am going to plant this one in the ground in March. Tim

003-2.jpg

002-2.jpg

001-2.jpg

That second photo shows the arresting green color of these hybrids. Its a color that I have not seen in any of my other palms, a soft, satin, but very intense green. All of my three strap leaf seedlings look the same color. I can hardly wait to put them in the ground this spring!

Edited by sonoranfans

Tom Blank

Planted out one of Tim's 3 way crosses late last summer, early fall. Saw 22F with HEAVY frost so far this winter with no damage. Started pushing its spear last week during our little warm up hear in N. Florida. They definitely speed up once in the ground and in full sun.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

All my jubutyagrus came indoors to avoid 28F/29F for three/four back-to-back nights (also with lots of humidity and salt, due to coastal influence). But reading all the above inputs i think i might be wrong...

Edited by rafael

Here is my little hybrid. Suffered a spear pull, and pretty much looked dead, after last year's 3 nights in a row right at the 20 degree mark. It also takes the full brunt of all frost in this location as well. In spite of the fact that I did nothing to help it recover, it did do so, and doubled in size this year.

Behind it is a Mule, and coming in from the left is a Butia. They are all on happy family.

post-1207-044160900 1294181760_thumb.jpg

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

All my jubutyagrus came indoors to avoid 28F/29F for three/four back-to-back nights (also with lots of humidity and salt, due to coastal influence). But reading all the above inputs i think i might be wrong...

Rafael,

You are the only one talking of heavy salt exposure. Im not sure what that means exactly, but it could cause a change in dehydration state of the palm and perhaps some physiological changes in cold weather resistance.

Tom Blank

What??? Am i the only one growing palms half a mile from the coastal line???

I dont know, but you might be the only one growing jubutiagrus in salt air. It may be that it doesnt matter for this palm, as each palm has its own salt tolerance.

Tom Blank

Beautiful Tim - Somehow I never find the hybrids attractive but your photograph is so vivid and the specimen so healthy that I salute you. The plant is young but already has a thick trunk - so I suppose you'll have a jubea like monster in the years ahead. :)

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

My understanding is Patric does his hybrids at Dick's, and the Jubutiagrus come from Dick's monster B x J. Not sure Dick even has a flowering J x B. Technically, I guess they should be called Bujubeagrus.

I agree Martin. Dick posted on another thread that the hybrids were mislabled, should have been BXJXB. BXJ is self sterill, so it would have to been polinated by Butia or Jubaea to develop seed. Those were the hybrids sold as JXB. No worries, but i just wanted to clear that up seeing that i hybridize also and i am meticulous about my lables being valid.

I would love to see the lineage of Tim Hoppers' JXB. We don't have flowering Jubaeas here in Florida, and all of the Butia/Jubaea hybrids here back in the day were BXJ that were produced by Merrill Wilcox and Ed Brown because they traveled to distant lands to collect Jubaea pollen, hence producing the BXJ.

I have tossed around the idea about buying a cpl of Tim Hoppers' JXBXS but i would like to know if it is a JXB or a BXJ that is the mother palm.

Tim probably has some connections in Cali i would imagine and that would make it a true JXB.

Would be cool to know all the parents!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

I agree Martin. Dick posted on another thread that the hybrids were mislabled, should have been BXJXB. BXJ is self sterill, so it would have to been polinated by Butia or Jubaea to develop seed. Those were the hybrids sold as JXB. No worries, but i just wanted to clear that up seeing that i hybridize also and i am meticulous about my lables being valid.

I would love to see the lineage of Tim Hoppers' JXB. We don't have flowering Jubaeas here in Florida, and all of the Butia/Jubaea hybrids here back in the day were BXJ that were produced by Merrill Wilcox and Ed Brown because they traveled to distant lands to collect Jubaea pollen, hence producing the BXJ.

I have tossed around the idea about buying a cpl of Tim Hoppers' JXBXS but i would like to know if it is a JXB or a BXJ that is the mother palm.

Tim probably has some connections in Cali i would imagine and that would make it a true JXB.

Would be cool to know all the parents!

Tim posted above that his are ((JxB)xB)xS

Looks like my other Jubaea is going to flower this spring, and I should be able to get to this one to collect pollen since the fronds aren't as close together on that one.

Lows: