IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Encinitas Sightings at Nursery

Phil

Guess What?  Five PalmTalk Guys in one place at one time!  It happened at the nursery last Saturday.  You'd think they should be home for Christmas, but no.  Santa wants palms.  Why, there's Matt Bradford (MattyB), Bill Sanford ( BS, Man About Palms), Paul Denton (Pohonkelapa) and the infamous Roooosty Sado (Rusty Phillipy).  And myself, Phil, holding the camera.  I've been able to capture photos of them in their native habitat and will keep you updated on future sightings.  This is absolute proof that IPS palm enthusiasts do actually exist outside of the Chat Forum.  Dypsis Dean: We need you.

586w2850.jpg

586w2851.jpg

Matt, Bill, Roosty and Paul (left to right)

586w2846.jpg

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

great shots,phil.of course,the subjects were excellent.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

So..........this is how the different species look when grown in California climates. :D Just what kind of  "jungle juice" fertilizer are they on??

Thanks for sharing,

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Ah, great pictures!

Hey, Phil, none of you . . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

What I can't figure out is it looks like you guys are getting along  just fine without me.

What's up with that?

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Oh, man we had fun.  Rusy is so funny w/ those fake poses. :laugh:   It's hard not to spend the whole day up there.  That Ravenea looks so cool.  I like the twisty leaf.  Dean, you're with us in spirit....notice my HIPS shirt?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Thanks very much Phil for those stills,

and along with the palms i even enjoyed

seeing those guys with whom we often

interact.i really missed that gathering.. :D

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Wow, I take it that this is all planned? I have to get down there again. Nice pics, whos the guy in pic 2 that looks like hes freezing. Always nice and toasty in there.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

It wasn't planned.  I didn't even know they were coming.  But, when one by one they showed up, I said that I've got to get some pictures.  What you've got to understand is that these guys individually are really (to the max) enthusiastic about palms.  You know how this PalmTalk group gets into discussing the fine points of any given plant.  Well, get four or five of them together and it's like talking about a French Impressionist painting.  Every possible detail is noted and brought up.  That's why we needed Dypsis Dean.  He lives a few blocks away (when he hasn't abandoned us to HI) and always shares his experience on unusual species.  Here's a few things you might not know about the others:  Matty B. woos the girls with his looks and is an aspiring actor.  Bill really likes fast cars and particularly one type of unusual sports car (which he owns and  even Jay Leno admires).  Paul, who really loves Indonesia, helps society in the medical field.  And, Rusty (Roosty) is a locally famous surfer with too many trophies  to fit into his house.  In fact he's in a contest today and wants to start mounting new trophies in the rafters at Jungle Music.  Get my son Jesse in with them and they just don't stop talking about palms.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

I had a lot of fun that day too.   I'm waiting to get my "Roosty Sado" action figure!!!  It bends to lifelike poses just like the real legend!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

OK.  At the nursery it's not all serious and only work.  And, I know you've figured out that Roosty is a real card.  So I'll share a little more to prove he's a fanatic.

Rusty examining a new leaf spear:

100_0094.jpg

Rusty examining the mottled leaf of a Pinanga:

100_0091.jpg

What?  A Forest Coconut seedling?  Let me look!

100_0128.jpg

More later,

Phil

:D :D :D  NOW YOU SEE WHY I WANT A ROOSTY SADO ACTION FIGURE!!!   IT EVEN TYPES IN ALL CAPS TOO!!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: LOL...Rusty is so funny.  You guys gotta understand, that's actually what Rusty does!  He's not just posing for the camera!   ohhhh man :laugh:  :laugh:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

OK Amigos.  You requested and shall receive.  Here's Roosty's impersonation of a turtle eating lettuce at the nursery.  Give it a minute or two to download.  It's a movie.

Phil

Roosty's impersonation of a turtle eating lettuce

Phil,

I think you really need to do a thorough check of all growing areas. Under benches, out back, and in small areas between the greenhouses and property lines. I have a feeling Rusty's got a crop of some other rare species ready for harvest.  :)

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

(Dypsisdean @ Dec. 31 2006,12:10)

Phil,

I think you really need to do a thorough check of all growing areas. Under benches, out back, and in small areas between the greenhouses and property lines. I have a feeling Rusty's got a crop of some other rare species ready for harvest.  :)

Dean,

That species is not rare.  It is most likely California's biggest cash crop (truely a cash business).

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

What, lettuce?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Brilliant, funny as.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(Phil @ Dec. 31 2006,14:46)

OK Amigos.  You requested and shall receive.  Here's Roosty's impersonation of a turtle eating lettuce at the nursery.  Give it a minute or two to download.  It's a movie.

Phil

Roosty's impersonation of a turtle eating lettuce

Maybe a REDFOOT ? :P

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

such an amazing performance.he WAS the turtle.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I want to be real serious about this.  Rusty is an absolute "health nut" and only eats wholesome, organic type food.  Jesse, my son, has been a good influence on him and sometimes they talk palms while surfing  together.  Here's an over-exposed picture of Jesse (whom many of you know) and you can see he's acting totally normal.  He's showing the leaf of a Chamaedorea ernesti-augusti.

100_0068.jpg

And, to make this more palmy, Jesse wanted to have me show you a photo.  Here' a picture of the windows in the Becarriophoenix mad. "windows" variety.  Note the terminal portions of the leaflets are attached, creating the "windows" (for now).

100_0109.jpg

So, I can guarantee you that Roosty's shinanigans and behavior  have not rubbed off on any of the staff.  A few of them wanted me to share with you a picture of them as well.

100_0129.jpg

I think they've found a way into that pure water you have..... :P

I think Phil just hired a bunch of comedians to impress us! :D  Does anyone see any actual WORK being done?? ???  I DON'T THINK SO......

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

They're "potting" up alright!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

a few more shots of palm stuff

Variegated Rhapis excelsa leaves

100_0117.jpg

Back side of leaflet of Arenga micrantha showing white color

100_0131.jpg

And, a few of my my always "serious" employees

100_0136.jpg

Phil

:laugh:  :laugh: ROFL!  Somehow I missed this thread earlier.....Rusty is truly a card, and the rest of you are such cuties!  Guess the palm vortex was in action that day, or Phil had his palmophile magnet pointed skyward.  The palms are quite cute too, Phil.

San Francisco Bay Area, California

Zone 10a