IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

200,000 people affected by flooding in Australia

joe_OC

Peachy posted under Recent Status Updates yesterday--that area on the home page to the right side. I hadn't seen it but instead found a thread under the "OHANA NUI - OFF TOPIC SUB-FORUM" that mentioned where it was. Here's what she wrote in case it gets bumped off the home page area:

I am still in the evacuation centre. A living hell. Went for a pleasant boat trip this morning along my street. Tojo's Revenge is dangling from a neighbours fence but my house is still standing. No electricity for 4 days now and no bridges open to get out of here. Thanks to everyone who messaged me.

Yesterday, 02:44 PM

Glad to hear she's okay, and has a house. She doesn't say how badly flooded it was and I assume maybe she wasn't able to make it inside yet.

BTW I saw a most heartwarming story on one of my news channels about the flooding in the Brisbane area today. Apparently people and families who were unaffected are turning up to help their neighbors clear out their flood damaged houses. Total strangers lending a hand. One young lady who apparently had moved away from her parents home to an area in Brisbane that had flood damage was telling the news reporter that she was overwhelmed with trying to clean out her place and this family showed up and said let us help you. She said she couldn't begin to express her appreciativeness and her parents cried on the phone when she told them how helpful these people have been. Heck I had a tear welling up in my eye listening to it. This kind of story was happening all over. The news also reported some government official saying that if people or companies could volunteer their time and equipment to help out their fellow neighbors the government would pay the diesel fuel for them. It was a really nice thing to see on the news for a change.

• Upvote 1

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Hi

People with trucks, bob cats, front end loaders are all working for free to help the others, the council in Brisbane has brilliant co-ordination facilities and are supplying all the diesel for free, the rubbish centres are open 24hours, people work in shifts, only been 9 looters, jail terms up to 10 years, we take a very hard line on them.

all have turned up, they have 5 registration centers for people wanting to help and the they bus the helpers to the most needed area's, as well as that, there others helping neighbours and friends, others just turn up to help all over the state, They turn up with brooms , pressure washes, cleaning products, gloves, shovels,anything you need to clean up, then just start work. about 20, 000 today in Brisbane, it is like looking at an army of ants, they are doing a fantastic job. it is very Australian to help your mates.

It is good to know that Peachy is not hurt physically, emotionally it will be very tough

regards

colin

Peachy posted under Recent Status Updates yesterday--that area on the home page to the right side. I hadn't seen it but instead found a thread under the "OHANA NUI - OFF TOPIC SUB-FORUM" that mentioned where it was. Here's what she wrote in case it gets bumped off the home page area:

I am still in the evacuation centre. A living hell. Went for a pleasant boat trip this morning along my street. Tojo's Revenge is dangling from a neighbours fence but my house is still standing. No electricity for 4 days now and no bridges open to get out of here. Thanks to everyone who messaged me.

Yesterday, 02:44 PM

Glad to hear she's okay, and has a house. She doesn't say how badly flooded it was and I assume maybe she wasn't able to make it inside yet.

BTW I saw a most heartwarming story on one of my news channels about the flooding in the Brisbane area today. Apparently people and families who were unaffected are turning up to help their neighbors clear out their flood damaged houses. Total strangers lending a hand. One young lady who apparently had moved away from her parents home to an area in Brisbane that had flood damage was telling the news reporter that she was overwhelmed with trying to clean out her place and this family showed up and said let us help you. She said she couldn't begin to express her appreciativeness and her parents cried on the phone when she told them how helpful these people have been. Heck I had a tear welling up in my eye listening to it. This kind of story was happening all over. The news also reported some government official saying that if people or companies could volunteer their time and equipment to help out their fellow neighbors the government would pay the diesel fuel for them. It was a really nice thing to see on the news for a change.

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

My house only got 30 cms of water through it. A lot of stuff is ruined but all my immedi. ate neighours had over 1 metre in their homes and lost everything. 2 metres of water through my garden, so its buried under mud and rubble and all the potted things are god only knows where now. I count myself lucky. Lost my power wheelchair and granny scooters so my mobility is very restricted at the moment. My insurance company told me I am covered for flood damaged but this is NOT a flood its a storm surge so I am royally screwed. My suburb was totally cut off from everywhere and the evacuation centre had no power or hot water so I sat in the dark in the same clothes for 4 days. I had tried to leave home before the bridge went under water but the rubberneckers in my street were bumper to bumper and would not let me get out of my driveway....it might interrupt their delightful view. By the time they stopped coming, the water was way too deep for me to drive through so I was preparing to spend a few days on the roof until a boat sailed down my driveway and got me and the poochies and parrots out. Rather than spend another minute in the evacuation hell hole I slept in the mud, water and stink of my own house last night. Today the bridge opened and now we are staying at a friends house on the other side of Ipswich. Cleaning out the house today I got to meet a lot of my neighbours for the very first time. One young couple from the street behind me, not flooded, came to help me because they said looking at my garden always gave them so much pleasure and they call my place the oasis.

I still havent seen any of the video footage of the floods but just travelling 3 klms across town, I saw enough horror to last me a life time. One rubber necker yesterday was videoing me on his phone and making a running commentary on me crawling through the mud and trying to get stuff out of the house. He didnt appreciate getting the broom handle across his head btw. Probably wont get power back on until wednesday but I have a gas lantern to leave on in the house to keep looters away. This week I have seen the very best and the very worst of human nature. As no food was getting into the area on local shop was chargine $12 for one litre of milk !! Anyway time heals most things and given enough of it I will get back to where I was. Thank you everyone who sent messages.

Peachy

• Upvote 1

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

We were all worried Peachy. Thanks for the update. Stay strong.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Glad you're back Peachy, where was the broom handle for the shopkeeper and his $12 gallon of milk? Hope you the best of recovery, to you and your garden, will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

courage Peachy ., we are thinking to you and all other flooded aussies.

hope other neighboors will come to help you.

Jean-bernard

crazy sower

city : Nantes, France,

I have complete faith in my Peachy!! Glad to know its only a setback..you'll get the best of it soon enough..

luv ya!

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Peachy , I am glad you are ok. We had terrible floods here in Guatemala during our last rainy season.I know what you mean by the best and worst of human nature. One memory I will never forget was a family sitting in a small boat in there carport watching a TV that was on a stack of furniture,even the chickens and their dog were in the boat with them.They were surrounded by water and seemed perfectly content just waiting for the water to recede.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Best of luck, Peachy. It will only be a memory soon.....tomorrows' another day.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

My house only got 30 cms of water through it. A lot of stuff is ruined but all my immedi. ate neighours had over 1 metre in their homes and lost everything. 2 metres of water through my garden, so its buried under mud and rubble and all the potted things are god only knows where now. I count myself lucky. Lost my power wheelchair and granny scooters so my mobility is very restricted at the moment. My insurance company told me I am covered for flood damaged but this is NOT a flood its a storm surge so I am royally screwed. My suburb was totally cut off from everywhere and the evacuation centre had no power or hot water so I sat in the dark in the same clothes for 4 days. I had tried to leave home before the bridge went under water but the rubberneckers in my street were bumper to bumper and would not let me get out of my driveway....it might interrupt their delightful view. By the time they stopped coming, the water was way too deep for me to drive through so I was preparing to spend a few days on the roof until a boat sailed down my driveway and got me and the poochies and parrots out. Rather than spend another minute in the evacuation hell hole I slept in the mud, water and stink of my own house last night. Today the bridge opened and now we are staying at a friends house on the other side of Ipswich. Cleaning out the house today I got to meet a lot of my neighbours for the very first time. One young couple from the street behind me, not flooded, came to help me because they said looking at my garden always gave them so much pleasure and they call my place the oasis.

I still havent seen any of the video footage of the floods but just travelling 3 klms across town, I saw enough horror to last me a life time. One rubber necker yesterday was videoing me on his phone and making a running commentary on me crawling through the mud and trying to get stuff out of the house. He didnt appreciate getting the broom handle across his head btw. Probably wont get power back on until wednesday but I have a gas lantern to leave on in the house to keep looters away. This week I have seen the very best and the very worst of human nature. As no food was getting into the area on local shop was chargine $12 for one litre of milk !! Anyway time heals most things and given enough of it I will get back to where I was. Thank you everyone who sent messages.

Peachy

You really have been through it Peachy. I'm glad you have friends and neighbors to help you out. I have no doubt Peachy's oasis will rise from the mud again and be populated with palms. It's amazing how sometimes the worst disasters bring out the best in neighbors and form new relationships that can last.

I have to admit I was a bit shocked to learn you had flood insurance but your company was claiming this was storm surge damage. I thought a storm surge came from off shore water that swelled and inundated the land. From what I had heard the water came down from the mountains around Brisbane, overflowed the streams and swept everything downstream doing all the damage. Doesn't sound like storm surge water to me unless I'm wrong about how things happened. No doubt insurance companies will try to deny insureds' coverage when they can. Given the amount of damage I saw and heard about on the TV here in the U.S. I suspect some insurance companies could get wiped out (not unlike some companies here during massive earthquakes or hurricanes). Will you have a way to replace your power wheelchair and granny scooters? This has got to be super tough on you, and sorry you are an ocean away. Stay safe and stay in touch when you have the energy to post. Please do everything you can to be assured that you don't develop mold from the flooding.

Glad you and pets are safe peachy..

Best of luck,

:) Jonathan

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Peachy, have been thinking of you through all this. Boy you've had it tough going from drought and having to hand water everything to now having your property swamped. Glad you and your animals are safe. Your garden would have enjoyed the nutrient rich drink too. I wish I was closer and I'd help you clean up and get your garden back in shape. Let us know how everything goes when you can. I hope your neighbours etc are like what they're showing on TV in Brissie with everyone helping out.

Stay strong. You'll rebuild I'm sure. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

So glad to hear you are OK! I know you've got a mess to clean up, so I hope you get help with it. I wish there was a way to help. If there is a disaster relief fund that's helping people affected let us know!

Susan

PS I too was puzzled with your insurance company calling this a storm surge. Did all that rain raise the ocean level just around Brisbane? Is any of the water brackish? I hope people can keep the insurance companies from pulling that kind of trick.

They are going to try and use this as a reason not to pay as it coincided with a king high tide which pushed the water leaves up much higher than the flood on its own, Brisbane is beside Morton Bay.

regards

Colin

So glad to hear you are OK! I know you've got a mess to clean up, so I hope you get help with it. I wish there was a way to help. If there is a disaster relief fund that's helping people affected let us know!

Susan

PS I too was puzzled with your insurance company calling this a storm surge. Did all that rain raise the ocean level just around Brisbane? Is any of the water brackish? I hope people can keep the insurance companies from pulling that kind of trick.

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Peachy's area of the river was not tidal. Also the main flood peak came before the King tide in Brissie I believe.

But insurance companies will argue the colour of an orange if it means they'll save a buck.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Just read that new floods have hit Australia, this time in the State of Victoria (13.000 properties submerged), Tasmania had flash floods and evacuations, and northern New South Wales has several towns cut off: Fresh Floods hit Southern Australia.

Just read that new floods have hit Australia, this time in the State of Victoria (13.000 properties submerged, many Melbourne residents without power), Tasmania had flash floods and evacuations in the north, and northern New South Wales has several towns cut off: Fresh Floods hit Southern Australia.

yes the whole east coast of OZ is in the grip of a strong La Ninya weather pattern. Similar to 1974.

came across this graph that shows Brisbane's flooding history.

post-1275-000646200 1295228781_thumb.jpg

Palms are the king of trees

Brod

Brisbane, Australia

28 latitude, sub tropical

summer average 21c min - 29c max

winter average 10c min - 21c max

extremes at my place 5c - 42c

1100 average rainfall

Peachy,

So glad you and your pets are OK. As others have stated,clean up is a nightmare but at least you are alive.

And I so wish we had a mandatory 10 year sentence for looters!

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Here are some good before and after photos on the below link for all who is interested...

Before and after flood images

Wow those photo comparisons really show the flooding in a very visual way. I love how they created the sliding door effect to view the before and after pics. Thanks for posting.

Peachy,

I can well imagine how terrible the situation must have been for you. I`m glad to hear you are OK and hopefully things will get back to normal soon at your place. Southeast Brazil has had many devastating flash floodings last week too, with many landslides and several human casualties. Keep strong and keep us updated.

Warm regards, GM

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Went to "ground zero" for myself yesterday. The same horrific mess as in 1974. My brother in law and I went around some of the brisbane suburbs on the river handing out bottles of water and Isotonic drinks from the back of my Toyota ute/truck. The thanks we received was overwhelming, the wreckage I saw was overwhelming, indescribable.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I moved back into the house on monday when the power was put on. Everyone has fled, I am the only person living on my end of the block. The mess and stench is appalling but I am home. Got my hotwater fixed yesterday so I can finally be clean again. Sorry Tyrone but my end of the river is tidal, although we were inundated well before the high tide came. Lots of recriminations happening everywhere....as my place hasnt flooded for 37 years and Wivenhoe Dam was built to stop it ever happening again, lots of blame going to be laid on the guilty parties. Meanwhile I just want to get the mud out of my house and off my things and never have to see it again. The garden is still partially submerged and the supercell storm that came through on tuesday didnt help the situation. That little display of nature even frightened me. I now have a very old german shepherd bitch and a young starved dobermann living with me. Found one on monday and the other tuesday just after the storm. The dobe has been starved for a long long time so I had to take him to the vetfor urgent treatment. The old lady is very quiet and just happy to have food and a warm dry bed. Ralf doesnt mind them being here but Huntley-Albert is beside himself with fury. I dont know if I will be able to cope with living here after all this has happened but as I am now potentially the owner of 4 dogs it will be hard to find somewhere else to go. Things like milk, bread, eggs and cleaning supplies are impossible to get hold of and my local supermarkets were badly damaged so I have to wait for the days I can borrow a car and have to travel all over the place just to find the basics. Now that my airconditioning system has been destroyed by water, the weather decided to get incredibly hot so I can only work early mornings and at night, so progress is very slow but bit by bit I get there. One lesson I learnt is not to be so finicky with cleaning women. Now that I am on my hands and knees scrubbing things, I realise how desperate for money these poor women must be to do such a horrible horrible job. I have a few funny stories to share...but they can wait for a more appropriate time. Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Hi Peachy, glad to see you're back with us. Didn't know your area was tidal. That's a long way inland. That must mean you're in a slightly more open country than further upstream, so the flood level lowers a bit as the river widens out. I was quite alarmed at the 21m forecast for Ipswich when google earth puts your place at 7m above the normal river level.

I don't know how the insurance company can say what happened to you wasn't a "flood" but a storm surge, when the king tide (not a storm surge anyway) occurred after you had gone under significantly. It wasn't like the eye of a cyclone went over and caused the ocean to rise 4m and flood upstream.

I wonder how many animals got caught in all the flooding. Those two dogs have landed in the right place.

I hope things start to get back to normal for you.

Best regards

Tyrone

Thanks again for the update Peachy. I figured you will not be beat by it all... a bit tattered perhaps, but strong !!

Luv ya,

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Peachy,

So glad and thankful you are back home and OK. I can only imagine the number of animals left stranded and drowned. I have a picture of horses stranded on a small spit of land after Hurricane Andrew in 1992. Very heartbreaking.

Stay strong and know that you have friends and warm wishes all over the world.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Hi Peachy, you are a real trooper for getting on with it, and those dogs - well maybe the owners will show up one day and you will be showered with gratitude! Hope you've made a little nest for yourself, and the rest will soon be part of your comfort zone again. Take care! John

Hi Peachy, i'm very happy your home and ok. I was in the fires of 2007 in southern CA and I can tell you that as bad as these things are, they do pass. It took three weeks to get back into my house and over a month to get the mess cleaned up so the house was livable. But little at a time we got the place scrubbed clean and things got back to normal. So best of luck and keep us posted.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Peachy,

I just hope your house is not too damaged structurally... and you can move back in. Lots of work ahead of you... :(

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Peachy, I know it's tough, but I have a feeling you are pretty tough as well. Grow your way out of it, both literally and figuratively. As soon as you can plant something, stick it in the ground. Something to measure the future by. And don't think about restoring things to the way they were, think about how to make the next version better. Focus on the future and don't look back. Don't let the past define you, only let the future do that.

And if you have a Paypal account, let me know. I'd like to contribute to your new and improved garden.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Peachy, I was so glad to hear that you are ok. Was wondering how you were during all this rain. I think it says so much about your character that you took those two dogs in and gave them such help, when your world was falling apart around you. If more people had half the heart that you do, then this whole world would be in better shape. I hope it all goes better for you now.

Peachy we're a long way from you physically, but we're with you in spirit. Know that we would come together and help if we could. Is there something we can do from a distance?

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.