IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

200,000 people affected by flooding in Australia

joe_OC

Wal is near Sunshine Coast... I think he won't be affected too much by the Brisbane river. Although Caboolture is under water.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Just on the news that the river near Ipswich will peak at approx 19m. I think Peachy will definitely be affected as she had floods just up to her verandah floor. She lives near a major river, not sure which one.

I hope everyone gets out of this one unscathed.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Just spoke to Wal,he made it out ok and managed to catch his flight to Sydney for his family holiday.He thinks his place will be ok though the nearby towns of Morayfield and Caboolture are totally isolated by floodwaters!...cheers Mike Green(Newcal)

9 dead , 66 missing , and things look grim for Brisbane .

non stop news on 9 , 200,000 properties might be under water in the next few days !!

Edited by aussiearoids

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Inland tsunami in Grantham ,, horrifying pics from last night .

Its a small town between Brisbane and Towoomba.

Brisbane River has just burst its banks . about 30 suburbs at risk .

Hope you Brissy boys are ok

This thread was deleted owing to a misunderstanding about a questionable post. The questionable post, and a response where that post was quoted, now removed and the thread is being revived. Apologies to those who wondered what happened!

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

We had a mass evacuation from the City this afternoon. We closed down our Brisbane training centers due to the forecast flooding. They are going to turn off all power to the inner city grids in the morning, so we had to take down our server farms..fun!

The Wivenhoe dam is basically full, and there is a lot of runoff still to come. The flood is expected to peak on Thursday night. They are predicting higher levels than the devastating '74 flood. The rain finally stopped this evening, but there are still small scattered showers around just to annoy everyone.

We'll see what eventuates over the next couple of days...hopefully everyone will stay safe and dry!

Fortunately I think all of our local Palmtalk members are not in flood prone areas, except for Peachy.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Yes... A few friends have been told to get prepared for the worst. They are living near the river. I guess we shall see what happen in the next few days.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I can't recall a time of such mass flooding or anything that would threaten so many in such a big city as Brisbane. I was too young to know anything in 1974. In many parts of Australia that are flood prone we really don't know what a 200yr flood is, as these areas haven't even been settled for 200 yrs except The Rocks in Sydney. Even a 100yr flood can skip many generations. If I had a property on the Brisbane river it would be an eerie feeling watching the waters just rise and engulf the place. Possessions kind of become secondary to your life in situations like that. It's scary watching it all even from the dry old west. The scenes make me feel the same way that images of Bandeh Aceh, and Phuket did.

Take care all of you over there.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I saw devastating flood footage last night in the news. Stay safe you all down there. I wish I can send you some of our winter dry air.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Looks like we dodged a bullet here on the Gold Coast with most of the rainfall falling west and north of us in the Brisbane areas.We recieved just over 100mm over the 5 day period while places like the Lockyer valley got 250mm in one day!UNBELIEVABLE!! Say a prayer for all of us as this situation will only get worse before it gets better...Mike Green(Newcal) :(

Wow, what some of you Aussies are going through right now makes all of our horrible cold weather in Florida seem rather trivial. I can't beleive the pictures we are seeing every night on this. I'll definitely keep you guys in my prayers.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Looks like we dodged a bullet here on the Gold Coast with most of the rainfall falling west and north of us in the Brisbane areas.We recieved just over 100mm over the 5 day period while places like the Lockyer valley got 250mm in one day!UNBELIEVABLE!! Say a prayer for all of us as this situation will only get worse before it gets better...Mike Green(Newcal) :(

I hope it will miss you too, Mike. Enough devastation already for sure....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Heard from a mate who is Ok near Towoomba , searchers have found just stumps left where once was a house .

I fear the worst for peachy's residence as it is right next to Ipswich (Leichhardt) and her house is right near a significant river . :( . I sincerely hope i am wrong .

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Just got this from a friend who lives up near Gladsone (just south of Rocky) which is cut off by floodwaters. It is a town of 40,000 people.

Hi Guys,

Well we are still faring well and are high and dry. Poor Toowoomba, did you see the news?

Gympie and Rockhampton are both flooded now so we are cut off. Our supermarkets are almost empty. There is no milk, not even long life milk or powdered milk. People have even bought the carnation milk out. The only bread available is through the bakeries and you have to order 24 hours in advance and are limited to two loaves per purchase. You can't even find a cruskit or sao on the supermarket shelves. Woolworths, today, only had cauliflower and onions in the whole fruit and veg section. One of the Coles and one of the Woolworths stores in Gladstone are closed because they are out of essential stock. The shops are even running out of loo paper. We have been told that no fresh supplies will be through until next week.

Cheers

Marilyn.

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Keep us apprized, mates, good heavens, not good.

But, this too shall pass.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I fear the worst for peachy's residence as it is right next to Ipswich (Leichhardt) and her house is right near a significant river . :( . I sincerely hope i am wrong .

I was thinking about Peachy today too and sent her a PM. Hope everything is OK. :(

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

About 7 hours to the peak for the Brisbane river , its not as bad as they thought , only 5.2 m instead of 5.5 .

Will still flood many houses .

My ISP is based in Brisbane and will maybe go under tomorrow .

Horrible! And over such a large area. I hope everyone escapes with minimal damage. Hope Peachy is OK. Nothing matters except your life. Stay safe all.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Peachy is near the Bremer river. It hit 20.5m. Peachy's house would definitely have gone under. Looking on Google Earth her front verge is a mere 7m above the normal river height. That means another 13.5m would be under water. I just hope she got out OK. Going on Palmtalk may be the least of her concerns and with all the chaos, I doubt she'd even have access to a computer. Let's all hope for the best.

Best regards

Tyrone

Wow, the video I have seen is amazing. I hope all of you are doing well, your going to need to pitch in to help all your fellow countrymen when this is over. I wish the best for Peachy.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

To our Australian friends, may I ask a stupid question? Will your insurance policies generally cover the material losses? Almost everything can be replaced as long as you are alive.

Anyone heard from Peachy? Tyrone is reporting that 13.5 meters of water would be flowing over her property! Thats 45' deep to us Americans. I can't imagine anything being there when the water recedes.

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Last time I PM'd Peachy she was mostly logging in via Wi-fi (a month or so ago...) anyway, as noted, she may be a little busy right now!!

I pray she is doing well...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

To our Australian friends, may I ask a stupid question? Will your insurance policies generally cover the material losses? Almost everything can be replaced as long as you are alive.

Insurance will cover most material losses, although I know some people in Brisbane don't have flood insurance. And even flood insurance has fine prints... some will cover some type, and some won't.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

The problem with flood insurance in this country is their is no real definition of what is a "flood". As stupid as it sounds, some policies will reportedly not cover you for water that smashed through your windows due to a flash flood for instance, because they define a "flood" as something that comes through your roof. I don't know how you would fare with some insurance companies if your whole house upped stumps and drifted 3km away. The big battles will in the end be with insurance companies, and we probably won't hear the end of it for many many years to come I reckon. Many farmers simply gave up on insurance years ago as well, so they are totally on their own. Not good.

Best regards

Tyrone

We're praying for everyone affected. Hopefully things will start to dry up soon.

I know the Australians won't waste any time in getting back on their feet.

God bless the souls who have perished and all their families and friends.

This brings to mind the classic Tom Waits song 'Step right up'

' the big print giveth , and the small print taketh away.'

Insurance companys . mmm I feel sorry for them :unsure:

25000 houses totalled , and over 5000 business's

Also a lot of insurance companies don't even offer "flood" insurance. There should be a law against that sort of thing. It's like selling a new car without wheels.

Flood insurance here is subsidized by our Government. (OK, that's all I'm saying about that other than it does create some uniformity). So, for $300/year, I have $200,000 worth of flood insurance on the structure and approximately $100,000 worth of insurance on contents. I am in a low risk zone with the majority of Floridians (coastal residents excepted).

If our local river rose 21 meters, everything between the river to my west (about 2 miles) and the Atlantic Ocean (15 miles east) would be covered by 10 meters of water (and my entire house would be gone...along with the homes of 1,000,000 or so other residents of Jacksonville). Thus I conclude, the floods Queensland are enduring sound like they are of Biblical proportions. I lived near the middle streteches of the Mississippi river in 1993 when it's record flood struck. That was one of the most expensive natural disasters in US History but the water rise was still less than 10 meters. At the confluence of the Mississippi and Missouri riivers just north of St Louis Missouri, the river grew to 18 miles wide and it looked like a giant lake with soggy suburbs and forests poking up above the water. Still, compared to Queensland, "that ain't Jack" (as they'd say around here).

I hope the rains stop soon and the waters subside quickly. The Australian photos remind me of Hurricane Katrina...a very bad memory.

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Tyrone,

Is it mandatory to have flood insurance if you live in a flood zone when you finance a house in Australia?

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Tyrone,

Is it mandatory to have flood insurance if you live in a flood zone when you finance a house in Australia?

dk

Just saw something on the news tonight where that was the case with one particular individual. It would all depend on the credit provider I would think. That wouldn't be the case in all cases though. Many people may find themselves uninsured. One report said that 50% of Queenslanders do not have flood insurance. I think the Federal government and therefore the tax payer will be footing the bill for this one. Personally I have no problem with that. Queenslanders are living a nightmare they don't deserve. The Queensland government couldn't afford it on their own. This will send waves through the Australian economy I would think. Insurance companies have already said that they will be unbending when dealing with claims from these floods. Bad PR to release a statement to that effect. And all along I thought they actually cared.unsure.gif

Best regards

Tyrone

If our local river rose 21 meters, everything between the river to my west (about 2 miles) and the Atlantic Ocean (15 miles east) would be covered by 10 meters of water (and my entire house would be gone...along with the homes of 1,000,000 or so other residents of Jacksonville). Thus I conclude, the floods Queensland are enduring sound like they are of Biblical proportions. I lived near the middle streteches of the Mississippi river in 1993 when it's record flood struck. That was one of the most expensive natural disasters in US History but the water rise was still less than 10 meters. At the confluence of the Mississippi and Missouri riivers just north of St Louis Missouri, the river grew to 18 miles wide and it looked like a giant lake with soggy suburbs and forests poking up above the water. Still, compared to Queensland, "that ain't Jack" (as they'd say around here).

I hope the rains stop soon and the waters subside quickly. The Australian photos remind me of Hurricane Katrina...a very bad memory.

The 21 metres was for Ipswich which is inland from Brisbane. Brisbane is actually on the flood plain of the Brisbane river. I've never been to Ipswich, but being further inland the river will tend to be in valleys etc the further inland you go. So a large volume of water confined to a valley for example would produce a higher flood level than the same large volume in the flood plain further downstream or at the river delta. Brisbane itself had approx a 4.5m peak level.

The amount of water that these flood areas have had has been incredible. If Perth had as much as 2m of flooding on the Swan River it would be paralysed. The Freeway and main thoroughfares along the river would be seriously under water. The Northbridge tunnel would be full. Many basements in the CBD would be underwater as certain parts of the Perth CBD are built on old swamps that were filled in, and certain buildings still have pumps to pump the water out. The underground rail would be underwater for sure. We don't see floods any where near that over here. I suppose it needs to rain to have floods and it hasn't really done that seriously over here for a good while. We're a little soft over here. Queenslanders need to be tough to put up with what they see.

Best regards

Tyrone

The video is horrifying. I truly feel for the people in Queensland. A diaster of epic proportions. My heart and prayers go out to you all.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Thanks Tyrone. That makes sense to me now. The weather world wide seems freaky right now. I'm never sure if the reports are just more common or the weather extremes are actually becoming more common. It's awfully hard to understand these events in context, but the media reporting tends to make one believe that the events themselves are increasing in frequency.

The 21 metres was for Ipswich which is inland from Brisbane. Brisbane is actually on the flood plain of the Brisbane river. I've never been to Ipswich, but being further inland the river will tend to be in valleys etc the further inland you go. So a large volume of water confined to a valley for example would produce a higher flood level than the same large volume in the flood plain further downstream or at the river delta. Brisbane itself had approx a 4.5m peak level.

The amount of water that these flood areas have had has been incredible. If Perth had as much as 2m of flooding on the Swan River it would be paralysed. The Freeway and main thoroughfares along the river would be seriously under water. The Northbridge tunnel would be full. Many basements in the CBD would be underwater as certain parts of the Perth CBD are built on old swamps that were filled in, and certain buildings still have pumps to pump the water out. The underground rail would be underwater for sure. We don't see floods any where near that over here. I suppose it needs to rain to have floods and it hasn't really done that seriously over here for a good while. We're a little soft over here. Queenslanders need to be tough to put up with what they see.

Best regards

Tyrone

I surely feel for the flood victims. That said, when you live in/on a flood plane you have to expect a flood every so often. This is a problem all over the world where people by the hundreds of millions live along rivers.

The land is fertile from past floods and the silt left behind. This draws the people, the land us usually flat and easy to build upon.

But rest assured every flood plane will flood again someday. I'm on a flat topped ridge but part of my yard is down 20' and often gets flooded after a few day;s of rain. Just yesterday/last night I had about 3' of standing water, but thankfully it's gone by sun up.

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

I surely feel for the flood victims. That said, when you live in/on a flood plane you have to expect a flood every so often. This is a problem all over the world where people by the hundreds of millions live along rivers.

The land is fertile from past floods and the silt left behind. This draws the people, the land us usually flat and easy to build upon.

But rest assured every flood plane will flood again someday. I'm on a flat topped ridge but part of my yard is down 20' and often gets flooded after a few day;s of rain. Just yesterday/last night I had about 3' of standing water, but thankfully it's gone by sun up.

Steve, cruel as it may sound, you make a valid point. I live on some of the most fertile land in the US, but I am also perfectly clear about how it got that way, it came from centuries if not millenia of flooding and rich top soil deposits left behind during those events. It is not all that different than those who live on mineral rich volcanic soils as well. We just all hope those widely time dispersed events miss us in our short lifetimes, and we pray for those who aren't so lucky.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Steve, cruel as it may sound, you make a valid point. I live on some of the most fertile land in the US, but I am also perfectly clear about how it got that way, it came from centuries if not millenia of flooding and rich top soil deposits left behind during those events. It is not all that different than those who live on mineral rich volcanic soils as well. We just all hope those widely time dispersed events miss us in our short lifetimes, and we pray for those who aren't so lucky.

That's one reason I'd never live in the Perth hills surrounded by trees. Many of these areas support very tall Eucalypts and when they go up in flames you've virtually got no time to get away. I love the feel of the heavily wooded areas though, and the soil up in the hills is real soil and not beach sand.

I think everyone who lives in a natural disaster prone area (even if it's once every hundred years), must have an escape strategy clear in mind, just in case. In the end your valuables don't mean that much any way. Most can be replaced.

Best regards

Tyrone

Hi Troy

Heard from someone that Peachy's house was completely under, lots of damage, have not been able to confirm it, been trying to confirm, maybe some one has heard something more

hope she is all right

regards

colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia