IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coldest Temps of Winter for California

happ

A low of 32 this morning in Walnut Creek, but I always subtract a couple of degrees since I don't trust my temp probe, so it was probably more like 30F. 29 has been my lowest reading this season. I don't sweat it until the temp hits 25 or below.

Dick

Richard Douglas

I posted this in the "Look Out Florida..." thread. It should be applicable for this thread too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkzNmWlCig8&feature=player_embedded

I just listened to Joe Bastardi of Accuweather and he predicted a 10-20 year cooldown same as Corbin with the exception that Bastardi doesn't necessarily subscribe to the Little Ice Age by 2035. But weather conditions will revert to those of the 1950s & 60s, which could be bad news to us in FL.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I posted this in the "Look Out Florida..." thread. It should be applicable for this thread too:

I just listened to Joe Bastardi of Accuweather and he predicted a 10-20 year cooldown same as Corbin with the exception that Bastardi doesn't necessarily subscribe to the Little Ice Age by 2035. But weather conditions will revert to those of the 1950s & 60s, which could be bad news to us in FL.

No, it's not good, for sure. Without a doubt I've lost almost a 3/4 USDA zone this month. While last January was bad in terms of low average temperature, my ultimate lows (27 degrees on two nights out of the 11 straight cold ones) was about normal for me, but for the entire winter. I generally get two nights per winter in the upper 20s, and they are usually spread a month or so apart.

I'm curious to see what January holds in terms of average temperatures because each of the past four Januaries have trended colder than the proceeding one to the point that January 2010 (Florida) averaged 9-10 degrees colder than January of 2006 as per statistical date at Florida Automated Weather Network.

Mad about palms

No, it's not good, for sure. Without a doubt I've lost almost a 3/4 USDA zone this month. While last January was bad in terms of low average temperature, my ultimate lows (27 degrees on two nights out of the 11 straight cold ones) was about normal for me, but for the entire winter. I generally get two nights per winter in the upper 20s, and they are usually spread a month or so apart.

I'm curious to see what January holds in terms of average temperatures because each of the past four Januaries have trended colder than the proceeding one to the point that January 2010 (Florida) averaged 9-10 degrees colder than January of 2006 as per statistical date at Florida Automated Weather Network.

As a good California liberal I am always suspect of anything Fox News telecasts but I also know that the extremes in weather suggests that no one theory can be totally sacrosanct. The fact that the globe has been warming each year is undeniable. How then, can we understand episodes of dramatic cold in light of the overall trend toward warmer than normal temperatures? This is uncharted territory in my opinion and actually, as a weather nerd, I love the unpredictable! :lol:

This morning was the coldest in many parts of southern California in several years though not too bad. It is noteworthy, however that downtown and LAX both dropped below 40F for the first time since 2007 and many stations recorded minimums in the 30's. Below freezing temps were pretty much restricted to areas that are prone to the coldest readings [i.e. low-lying, below canyons, wind-protected]. NWS_LA removed frost advisories for tonight but NWS_SD extended warnings for another night. Increasing cloudiness should modify minimums into the weekend but extended forecast into next week is for below normal temperatures with the possibility of occasional fast-moving storms.

My minimum was 41F\ 5C [coldest for 2010].

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

As a good California liberal I am always suspect of anything Fox News telecasts but

Interesting political intro , about as interesting & relevant as my response.......

This will not warm up the weather.

James

29.5° for about an hour this morn. Only visible damage was a little burn on a big Monstera leaf that was peeking out of it's plastic. It actually seemed to be colder during the last round yet the hi/lo sez otherwise.

I know it's difficult, but we can not allow political commentary here. Any more and this thread will disappear like all the others regarding global warming have. But my two cents is - the difficulty of discussing this topic without political commentary illustrates how even those who call themselves scientists have been caught up in theories and predictions that lend themselves to their political preferences. True science knows no such political persuasion. So it should be easy to leave the politics aside when discussing the science of climate. The fact that it doesn't seem possible, should be a statement unto itself. When one political party believes the science proves one thing, and the other political party believes the science proves the opposite - we can not really be talking about science anyway.

So please, no more politics. :)

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

We actually have had more nights at or below freezing (lowest 29F) in November than in December this year. Wonder what the new year will bring.

Our mules are still nice and green, although I did notice some wind damage in the form of broken leaflets on the one mule with the most exposure to the strong winds of late. During a drive around town today we noticed that a lot of the queens are now looking toasty on their upper fronds as well as their lower ones. Noticed a number of plants with that orangey burnt look, can't recall what they were, but I recognized it as frost damage. My neighbor's musa has been toasted since the November cold weather, but will recover in the spring when he can finally cut it back. Just looks crappy in the meantime. So far I'm very pleased with the 4 palms we have planted in our new backyard (mules, butia, T. fortunei). We went for hardy ones for our area and they are still providing a nice view.

Tonight I saw a license plate holder that said "Got Mule?" Assume this was a reference to Gov't Mule (that's a band BTW not a political reference LOL) or something else (I'm not up on the latest pop culture), but I liked it as a reference to mule palms! :D

Edited by WestCoastGal

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

That was a very interesting interview and the news commentator asked the right questions. If the trend is for a cooling earth then many of us will probably look at our hobby a little differently. I'll probably always grow marginal stuff but I've also planted most of my garden with hardy for my area palms that will be healthy in a cooler climate than we have now, if that should happen, or when a record breaking freeze should hit again. It'd be nice if global warming and global cooling would cancel each other out. :rolleyes:

We're expecting moderate to heavy rainfall Saturday and Sunday so, obviously, there's no immediate threat of frost. My low this morning was 37F and 33F is my lowest so far this fall/winter. It would be nice to start spring with the tender stuff, like bananas, still green.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

NWS_LA put a frost advisory back into the forecast this evening. At 9PM it was already below 50F\ 10C just about everywhere except a few immediate coastal sites. :(

NWS_SAN DIEGO

A FROST ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 11 PM THIS EVENING TO

9 AM PST SATURDAY.

* TIMING: FROM 11 PM TONIGHT TO 9 AM SATURDAY.

* TEMPERATURE: MOSTLY IN THE UPPER 20S TO MID 30S IN THE COLDER

AREAS PROTECTED FROM THE WINDS. BRIEF ISOLATED MID 20S POSSIBLE.

* IMPACTS: GROWERS SHOULD BE PREPARED FOR FROST PROTECTION. PEOPLE

SHOULD COVER FROST SENSITIVE PLANTS OR BRING POTTED PLANTS

INDOORS. COLD SENSITIVE PETS SHOULD ALSO BE BROUGHT INDOORS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FROST ADVISORY MEANS THAT FROST IS POSSIBLE. SENSITIVE OUTDOOR

PLANTS MAY BE KILLED IF LEFT UNCOVERED.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

That was a very interesting interview and the news commentator asked the right questions. If the trend is for a cooling earth then many of us will probably look at our hobby a little differently. I'll probably always grow marginal stuff but I've also planted most of my garden with hardy for my area palms that will be healthy in a cooler climate than we have now, if that should happen, or when a record breaking freeze should hit again. It'd be nice if global warming and global cooling would cancel each other out. :rolleyes:

We're expecting moderate to heavy rainfall Saturday and Sunday so, obviously, there's no immediate threat of frost. My low this morning was 37F and 33F is my lowest so far this fall/winter. It would be nice to start spring with the tender stuff, like bananas, still green.

Yes, the commentator did take a devil's advocate position so as to get Piers Corbyn (UK astrophysicist-meteorologist) to defend his position and assertions. It's just too bad an egg-faced UK government representative wasn't also in the studio to confront Corbyn and acknowledge that Corbyn's prediction for this winter's weather was right and they were wrong. But I guess the UK government representative must be hiding under his/her's desk.

That being said, I have no ax to grind one way or the other as to the GW "theory," and it wasn't my intention to be provocative when I posted the video. The fact is, I hope Piers Corbyn is dead wrong about global cooling. I just posted the video because I felt it was timely considering the cold harsh winter the US and Europe is having, that Corbyn's prediction was something to contemplate, and could either be accepted or dismissed.

One thing I do know for a fact is, I've had six nights in December where my nighttime lows were in the low to mid 20s. This is unprecedented for me in my 13 years living here. In the past 13 years I've only had two winters where I had one night when temparatures dropped below 25 degrees. To have six nights in one month is alarming.

If this past December is going to now be the norm, there's no way I'm going to continue trying to grow and protect so many cold tender species of palms and plants. I can accept getting hammered bad every 3-5 years, but not every winter. This makes the third straight winter my garden has incurred major damage. I was hoping for a respite this winter but it was not to be.

Mad about palms

39F at 630 am this morning and breezy... MUCH better!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I didn't get up early to check out temperatures at sunrise across the state but it appears that minimums were a little warmer and in the 40's for most areas; looks like some sub-freezing readings in the usual cold basins. Wind was light all night but nonetheless I did observe a 44F\ 6.6C minimum.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Low was 44° here last night. Lowest has been 40° in this round of cold.

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

Just got home from Pasadena's Rose Parade where the overnight low was approx. 33. Was in the 40's during the parade. Nothing seems damaged here at home though I don't think I got down to freezing.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Another night around 30..... saw some chocolate leaves on Musas.... haven't seen that in a few years........Brrr......

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

I pretty much had a repeat of yesterday.

39.2 F out in the open

41.7 F under the Jacaranda

I tried to cover up the Hyophorbes with sheets but the wind just blew them off at some point in the night.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I know it's difficult, but we can not allow political commentary here. Any more and this thread will disappear like all the others regarding global warming have. But my two cents is - the difficulty of discussing this topic without political commentary illustrates how even those who call themselves scientists have been caught up in theories and predictions that lend themselves to their political preferences. True science knows no such political persuasion. So it should be easy to leave the politics aside when discussing the science of climate. The fact that it doesn't seem possible, should be a statement unto itself. When one political party believes the science proves one thing, and the other political party believes the science proves the opposite - we can not really be talking about science anyway.

So please, no more politics. :)

As a scientist, I agree strongly. True science knows no political persuasion. Politics is the death of science. That being said, it is noteworthy that the russian atmospheric scientists have been pointing to solar activty for years as the dominant force in global temperature variation. Its kind of suprising and disappointing that US and many european scientific groups failed to give solar activity proper consideration(aside from this one scientist). It shows how immature the science is when dominant variables are not properly emphasized. Science is all about discussion and debate of contrasting ideas. You know when scientists start calling each other dummies, it has nothing to do with science, its just politics. As citizens, we need to ensure that science is not manipulated for political gain as the public trust could be destroyed. If that happens, if it hasnt already, scientific development will be retarded for decades. We also need to be watchful over commercial interests and their role in manipulating the results of our country's scientific efforts. If we fail to protect our scientific resources we will be buying technology from the chinese and India for big bucks for the indefinite future.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Well said Tom. Take politics out of science..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Since Thanksgiving we've had 10 days with rain or showers and 29 days without. Check out my average low temps on rain days versus non-rain days:

Rainy day average low temperature - 53.3F

Non-Rain day average low temperature - 38.3F

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

This morning was just 1 degree warmer.

40f out in the open

42f under the Jacaranda

I'm taking advantage of the moist ground and digging lots of irrigation trenches.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

It is still cold out there but with clouds and rainfall overnight the minimums are staying above 40F. Looks like the week will slowly warm and clear up for more normal temps; maybe above 70F for a change during the day and nights in the 50's! :)

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Looks like the rain is over. For the week, anyway.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Thanks for the best wishes, Meg. It seems nowhere is safe from winter's blast this year.

Matty, I also experienced scary wind gusts last night and lost power for a few hours. Got to get up onto the roof this afternoon to check for damage. Trees were down all over the metro area this morning. Now the worry is the cold. Your hilltop location may spare you frost but unless it stays windy tonight the lowlands could easily dip below freezing. Both NWS_LA and NWS_SD have issued frost and possibly hard freeze advisories but strangely only forecast minimums in the 40's for coastal and basin\ coastal plains and above freezing for all inland areas. Maybe they are hedging their bets. Let's hope their more conservative tabular prediction for individual cities turns out to be accurate.

You are so right, Happ!

I fared relatively well because of extensive tree canopies but I was just surprised by how early in Dec. it occurred!

We'll all be keeping you and your gardens of passion this week in our thoughts, all our So Cal and Central Cal family. Clouds would be nice!!!!! Things are still sometimes frustratingly out of our control, but our love of palms makes every month a new planting opportunity, and every ensuing year the fire inside us says: "buy, buy, buy!" (And we usually do!)

Love to all!

Pablito

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

The only problem is trying to cover them when they get 40' tall. Here is my Royal before the latest freeze events here in Tampa. Still holding a few of last winters damaged fronds. As of today it is a total brown mess again.

Ugh! Know the "look"; depressing.

Pablito

My four weather source's predictions are all over the place at, 36, 39, 40, and 42 degrees for Los Altos' low tonight. Yesterday's predictions for the low this morning were narrower at 39 to 41F but my actual low turned out to be 36.5F. Right now the temperature is 46F which is what it was yesterday at this time. Winds are lighter but skies will be partly cloudy instead of the clear skies last night. My bananas, gingers, and heliconia, are still all green and they're always the first to brown as soon as it reaches 32F.

We'll hope for the best outcome, Jim! Good luck, and don't do what I did and stay up all night watching temperatures fall. (Like I really needed to reinforce the event going down!) I'm STILL sleep deprived!:hmm:

Good fortune, tonight!

Pablito

I've been working on the kitchen floor installing a dishwasher and I've been sitting next to a work light so I didn't notice how cold it as already.

42F at 11pm brrrrrrrr

I did throw a sheet over the bottle and the spindles for the first time. I'm actually thinking of removing the spindles because they look crappy for most of the year, but because they're not so tall maybe I can cover them up with sheets a few nights and make them look a little better.....at least for a few years.

Ditch them. Your place is just fine without them. Go for year round beauty.

I guess I kinda agree with Keith, Matty. But that's easy for me to say. Whatever happens; you're in everyone's thoughts for sure, guy.:hmm:

Pablito

39 F at 845pm. Yeeesh!

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Bottomed out at 37 degrees here this morning. Storm clouds tonight with lows in the 40s. Long range has lows in the 40s through Jan. 15 here. No freezing temps at all so far this season. :)

Excellent, Jim!:rolleyes:

Pablo

West Coast Gal, I see your reference to Government Mule Band. You have some ecletic musical knowledge because I was under the impression that this Band was strictly regional and had ties to the Allman Brothers and Grateful Dead.They always seemed to be playing in and around the University of Florida.

What you look for is what is looking

NWS_LA mentioned in their discussion this morning that if it doesn't reach 70F in Los Angeles today it will be the 24th day in a row of maximums in the 50's & 60's. December was cool and wet but as a result night temps were fairly mild with the exception of a few nights around New Year's Day.

A very weak storm should come ashore tomorrow but rainfall looks meager.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Ironically it did reach 70F\ 21.1C downtown Los Angeles today though it probably won't again for at least a few days.

A weak storm may drop a little rainfall tonight followed by clear and fairly cool conditions into next week minus any arctic air thankfully.

All we can do is count off the weeks for the next 7-8 weeks hoping that we can get thru this winter without frost! :lol:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

or in my case, anymore frost :)

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Shoot,, you know it won't actually be warm until June.....late June.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

trudat

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

It's been cold in Walnut Creek (N. Calif) since the last day of Dec. The daytime highs only near 55 and the night lows, at or near freezing with some white frosts. It was overcast here all day with the fog spilling over the hills from the Central Valley. My high today was only 44. Looks like more of the same for the next few days.

Dick

Richard Douglas

I was out in the garden Sunday enjoying a beautiful clear day after a number of days of fog.

None of the weather reports were predicting a deep frost. The palms in general were looking good if not great.

I was obviously feeling too optimistic and woke up yesterday to find frost everywhere and a temp of 27 degrees.

Fortunately I still had some C9 light on a few trees and I had turned them on the night before just in case.

Still, the damage will be fairly extensive. The two hybrids that I got at Dick's at the meeting in October were protected and look fine.

A number of my kings will be struggling, and some of the Beccariophoenix alfredii have been tested.

I had backed off on covering my Burretiokentia happala and am worried since it was showing a bit of damage from earlier milder frosts this winter.

I think that species might make it here under canopy but probably shouldn't be left in the open.

I'm sure the majesties will look terrible for a few months but will probably survive. I've been hoping to replace them with B. alfredii depending on how those look in the spring.

I've got a feeling that Oraniopsis appendiculata will continue to chug along albeit very slowly.

Fortunately all my bulbs will take it in stride and will distract me from the carnage in a month or two.