IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coldest Temps of Winter for California

happ

California will be blasted with extremely cold temperatures into next week due to a pattern allowing Arctic air to flow easily down the West Coast. Frost and freeze warning are posted for tonight and Friday night for nearly all the coastal valleys in southern California. The wind last night gusted to over 40mph in metro Los Angeles yet the temperature still dropped to 43F\ 6.1C at my house. Tonight will not be as windy and dew points will be very low = frost for many locations. Weak storms are forecast to circulate down the trough into next week and usher in even colder air for California and the Southwest. The clouds and wind may be the only thing to save some gardens. :blink:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Sounds like what happened to FL et. al. Best wishes to all.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

We had many 45 MPH gusts last night, it sucked! The house creeks and vibrates at anything above 40 MPH. Woke up to 41.5F this morning. I'll have to check the garden this afternoon for any damage but I don't think it'll be too bad from fist glance down the hill. If there's no wind tonight I might throw some sheets over the Bottle and Spindle palms just to be safe. It might get really bad tonight. :(

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Thanks for the best wishes, Meg. It seems nowhere is safe from winter's blast this year.

Matty, I also experienced scary wind gusts last night and lost power for a few hours. Got to get up onto the roof this afternoon to check for damage. Trees were down all over the metro area this morning. Now the worry is the cold. Your hilltop location may spare you frost but unless it stays windy tonight the lowlands could easily dip below freezing. Both NWS_LA and NWS_SD have issued frost and possibly hard freeze advisories but strangely only forecast minimums in the 40's for coastal and basin\ coastal plains and above freezing for all inland areas. Maybe they are hedging their bets. Let's hope their more conservative tabular prediction for individual cities turns out to be accurate.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I worry not about the cold anymore, what lives, lives, what dies will get replaced. I am MUCH happier with my garden now without the stress. I'm not saying I won't take chances, just that I won't be spending my time trying to baby them.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

That's how I usually approach it, but now I have a bottle palm that looks like this and now I've got something to loose so it's more time invested that's making me nervous.

post-126-014379200 1293735085_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matty, protect that bottle, and Happy New Year!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Amazingly we did not have any wind to speak of last night here in Vista. I was up at 3:30 AM this morning and the temp in the front yard was 42 F. The clouds cleared out and the temp dropped to 35F by 6:00 AM. I wish I would have planted more Rhopalostylis and less sensitive stuff. Foxy, A. myolensis and maxima are already showing dark spots and this is just the beginning. I think the entire palm community seems a bit weary of “Near Record Low” every time winter shows up.

Carl

Vista, CA

That's how I usually approach it, but now I have a bottle palm that looks like this and now I've got something to loose so it's more time invested that's making me nervous.

If you only have to "baby" a few, well worth it. That little guy is too cute to trust to the vagaries of arctic cold.

Meg

Florida

Amazingly we did not have any wind to speak of last night here in Vista. I was up at 3:30 AM this morning and the temp in the front yard was 42 F. The clouds cleared out and the temp dropped to 35F by 6:00 AM. I wish I would have planted more Rhopalostylis and less sensitive stuff. Foxy, A. myolensis and maxima are already showing dark spots and this is just the beginning. I think the entire palm community seems a bit weary of “Near Record Low” every time winter shows up.

No wind Carl? Strange. No wonder you got so cold. I think your Foxy, and Archontophoenix will be fine at temps above 31F. Some minor spotting doesn't take away from the overall look of the palm as bad as tip burn or sunburn in my opinion.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Oh yeah you have to protect that baby, she's a beaut. If I had something like that, I'd be spooning with here all night to keep her warm.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

[

No wind Carl? Strange. No wonder you got so cold. I think your Foxy, and Archontophoenix will be fine at temps above 31F. Some minor spotting doesn't take away from the overall look of the palm as bad as tip burn or sunburn in my opinion.

Carl

Vista, CA

The cold air arrived in N. Calif. yesterday with strong winds and puffy clouds, even a brief drizzle. As evening approached the winds quit and the clouds disappeared. Last night was my coldest night of Dec with a low of 30F. There was a thin layer of ice in my rain bucket this morning, and the roof tops were white with frost.. Only 55F at noon today and I expect tonight will be even colder. Rain and cloud cover expected on Friday and 3 days thereafter, so that might moderate the temps here.

Dick

Richard Douglas

1PM temperatures are mainly in the 50's with some isolated areas in the upper 40's; that is cold for the coast & valleys. NWS_LA issued another advisory; here's a segment:

FROST ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 9 AM PST

FRIDAY...

A WIND ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 PM PST THIS EVENING. A

FROST ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 9 AM PST FRIDAY.

* TIMING: GUSTY WINDS WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THIS EVENING. IN

WIND PROTECTED AREAS...COLD TEMPERATURES...BELOW 32 DEGREES...

ARE EXPECTED FRIDAY MORNING.

* WINDS: NORTHWEST TO NORTH WINDS BETWEEN 15 AND 25 MPH WITH

GUSTS TO 40 MPH WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE EVENING.

* TEMPERATURES: IN WIND PROTECTED AREAS...TEMPERATURES BETWEEN

28 AND 32 DEGREES ARE EXPECTED FRIDAY MORNING.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

weatherdotcom and accuweather don't show me as going below 37F. Then again they said last night I'd get 42 and I saw 36. I'm bringing the Adonidia in and that's about it. Okay maybe a fews smaller palms...

That's where it gets weird. Do I bring in the Pinanga and not the Spindle? If it's below 40F at 10pm, by 11pm my garage will be full.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

weatherdotcom and accuweather don't show me as going below 37F. Then again they said last night I'd get 42 and I saw 36. I'm bringing the Adonidia in and that's about it. Okay maybe a fews smaller palms...

That's where it gets weird. Do I bring in the Pinanga and not the Spindle? If it's below 40F at 10pm, by 11pm my garage will be full.

Definitely bring in the Pinanga below 40. Depending on its size the spindle can take a bit more cold. And why just the garage? I use the whole house. Good luck.

Meg

Florida

I worry not about the cold anymore, what lives, lives, what dies will get replaced. I am MUCH happier with my garden now without the stress. I'm not saying I won't take chances, just that I won't be spending my time trying to baby them.

I think that's a smart attitude Matt.

Often times I see palms being pushed beyond their zonal limits that look thrashed and I wonder, what's the point? If you're lucky enough to be Bo or Dean's neighbor on the Big Island you can plant all the exotics you want. They'll grow like gangbusters and look terrific all the time.

But if you live in So. Calif. where we have greater extremes I think you have to be more selective, at least if you want palms that are going to look good the vast majority of the time.

Often times I see palms being pushed beyond their zonal limits that look thrashed and I wonder, what's the point? If you're lucky enough to be Bo or Dean's neighbor on the Big Island you can plant all the exotics you want. They'll grow like gangbusters and look terrific all the time.

But if you live in So. Calif. where we have greater extremes I think you have to be more selective, at least if you want palms that are going to look good the vast majority of the time.

I did this 2 years ago and I AM MUCH HAPPIER now.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I did this 2 years ago and I AM MUCH HAPPIER now.

I agree! Started removing the wimpy palms from my garden 2 yrs ago and a few more still need to go. I want to enjoy the garden, not stress on the next cold event.

I agree to a certain extent with Matt. I don't stress nearly as hard. But covering some for 5 to 7 days out of 365 is worth doing especially if really like the palm or palms.

San Marcos CA

The only problem is trying to cover them when they get 40' tall. Here is my Royal before the latest freeze events here in Tampa. Still holding a few of last winters damaged fronds. As of today it is a total brown mess again.

My four weather source's predictions are all over the place at, 36, 39, 40, and 42 degrees for Los Altos' low tonight. Yesterday's predictions for the low this morning were narrower at 39 to 41F but my actual low turned out to be 36.5F. Right now the temperature is 46F which is what it was yesterday at this time. Winds are lighter but skies will be partly cloudy instead of the clear skies last night. My bananas, gingers, and heliconia, are still all green and they're always the first to brown as soon as it reaches 32F.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Here's my Teddybear the weekend after Thanksgiving. It's REALLY crispy now and about to be crispier. This SUX!

DSC_0627.jpg

Crispy D. lanceolata

DSC_0624.jpg

Mike Hegger

Northwest Clairemont

San Diego, California

4 miles from coast

:(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

It is already 38F here in Mission Viejo. I saw a thin high overcast moving in from the north. I hope that helps....otherwise, I expect 31 by 4am.....frost cloth applied, as possible.

Darn it.

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

Weather.com is good for a general idea of what temps will be like in my area but it off by 5 degrees or so...most of the time. I just use it to get a general idea. It says 37F tonight so I'm expecting 32F.

Got damage from that cold air pocket too on Thanksgiving, so I covered a few palms. If I paid $150 or more I figure I'm protecting an investment.

Vince Bury

Zone 10a San Juan Capistrano, CA - 1.25 miles from coast.

http://www.burrycurry.com/index.html

I've been working on the kitchen floor installing a dishwasher and I've been sitting next to a work light so I didn't notice how cold it as already.

42F at 11pm brrrrrrrr

I did throw a sheet over the bottle and the spindles for the first time. I'm actually thinking of removing the spindles because they look crappy for most of the year, but because they're not so tall maybe I can cover them up with sheets a few nights and make them look a little better.....at least for a few years.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I've been working on the kitchen floor installing a dishwasher and I've been sitting next to a work light so I didn't notice how cold it as already.

42F at 11pm brrrrrrrr

I did throw a sheet over the bottle and the spindles for the first time. I'm actually thinking of removing the spindles because they look crappy for most of the year, but because they're not so tall maybe I can cover them up with sheets a few nights and make them look a little better.....at least for a few years.

Ditch them. Your place is just fine without them. Go for year round beauty.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Wind died down and temperatures are quite cold. 5AM readings are mainly in the 30's & mid 40's in metro areas. Near or below freezing temps at 5AM:

Chino: 31F

Claremont: 32F\ 0C

Riverside: 33F [other stations are warmer]

Woodland Hills: 32F

Ventura: 33F

Santa Paula: 33F

Oceanside: 30F [warmer other stations]

Escondido: 33F

Poway: 32F

Santa Ana: 34F

Huntington Beach: 34F

Corona: 29F

Temecula: 30F

Yesterday's maximum of 54F broke the record for Escondido.

42F at my location.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

32F, matching my low for the 5th time this season.

It was 38F at 10pm, so I brought in four palms. I'm agreeing with you "tough love" folks. Either I can grow a palm or I can't. Let's get all the ones I can't out of the way, and focus on the real winners.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Not too bad here in Spring Valley

42.4 F under the Jacaranda

39.2 out in the open

I drove down the hill to get some coffee and I had to look real hard to find some very small patches of frost on some grass. I don't think it got very cold here, even at the bottom of the hill. Maybe 35F in the valley that's all.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

31.2 here at my house in fallbrook which is the coldest I've had in the 3 1/2 years that I have lived here. Previous low was 34. I covered my bottle last night and brought in a handful of other small palms. Light frost on the roofs. And I'm on top of a hill here in Fallbrook, in the lower areas of town it had to have been in the high 20s.

32F, matching my low for the 5th time this season.

It was 38F at 10pm, so I brought in four palms. I'm agreeing with you "tough love" folks. Either I can grow a palm or I can't. Let's get all the ones I can't out of the way, and focus on the real winners.

It’s similar to that old girl friend, who could be so hot at times, but man what a pain.

♪ If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, never make a sensitive palm your strife, go from my personal point of view, get a tougher palm to get you through! ♪

Bottomed out at 33F this morning, heavy frost on the cars and some in the grass, I wonder what tonight has in store?

Carl

Vista, CA

7.9C / 46.2 F with some clouds is my low temperature 7.14 AM in south Tijuana 300 meters from the ocean. Cold. I am sure it is more colder in other parts of the city like the down town and east by El Florido. I have very good microclimate where i live Tijuana is all hills and many good and bad microclimates. The big valley east-west in the botom part where theres the down town and areas like Los Pinos, El Florido, La Presa, and also Maclovio Rojas can be very cold with some frost in the most cold nights.

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

My low was 38.8, nothing to be concerned about. I have a bottle palm in a pot, dragged it inside for the night. I've seen new plantings of bottles in the neighborhood, it will be interesting to see how they fare this winter.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Bottomed out at 37 degrees here this morning. Storm clouds tonight with lows in the 40s. Long range has lows in the 40s through Jan. 15 here. No freezing temps at all so far this season. :)

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

looks like my low was around 31-32. This is the lowest of the year so far for me. I got a new thermometer for Christmas and it is nice reading the outside temp while being warm inside. I am new at this and still learing about mircos in the yard. It is crazy to see what canopy does and how there is frost in the open but under the canopy there is none. I planted a 18" tall D. Baronii and I noticed frost on the leaves, the crazy thing is 2 feet away closer to the canopy there would have been no frost on it. It is easy to research the cold tolerance, but the frost one is a little more tough. I guess time will tell. I am quickly learning my location I live is in a poor climate for the area. On the positive side I noticed some large royals and foxtails growing at a park less than 1/4 mile from me and it is lower in the valley. 42F now at 8:50.

Northern San Diego County, Inland

It was 33 here at 7am. Frost everywhere but on the grass or plants...is tonite supposed to be worse or the same?

Anyway, just for Matty... Trashcan pics!

Not emptied since last Friday...So it also was not quite in the open so may not have been as "accurate" as normal!! :lol:

So, I'm rounding down (its on the shallow area) at 9 1/2" for the week!!!!

post-27-022010200 1293814885_thumb.jpg post-27-097471200 1293815157_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the weird text.. lately can only post pix using I.E. not my Firefox. When I did the pics, the other text showed up? :huh:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!