IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Brace for it Phoenix!

Randy

I'm not sure what a local nursery does, but anytime there is a cold night (<30F) there is smoke coming from their property near their tall $3000 queen palms.

Adam 

Why not just get some propane and use it up in an evening? Sure it might cost 20 bucks for a night, but it's a whole lot cheaper than losing a dypsis. Not very often is it going to get that cold.... Or just plant more queens:)

I think the challenge is using propane to last ten hours in three different locations? Are you talking about the propane heaters that run from the 5 gallon BBQ style tanks? I'm curious how to prevent leaf burn from the cold with a heater...

Yes, 3 outdoor heaters will do the job just fine (and last 10 hours). Although, the heating radius depends on how cold it is.

Problem was during our two freeze events this year,the wind was blowing pretty steady at 5 to 10 mph most of the night. 25 degrees with that wind blowing made it nearly impossible to protect anything.Unless you had your heat inside a tent with the plant,it dissapated too rapidly to be of any use.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Problem was during our two freeze events this year,the wind was blowing pretty steady at 5 to 10 mph most of the night. 25 degrees with that wind blowing made it nearly impossible to protect anything.Unless you had your heat inside a tent with the plant,it dissapated too rapidly to be of any use.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

I experimented on my 3 trunk pigmy this year. I tied the fronds up virtical and coveres them with a heavier cloth material. My problem is I did it on the 2nd freeze night, so I'm not sure if the browning I see is from the first or second night freezes.

I did climb a ladder and and cover the foxtails with a light bed sheet, then a heavier material light blanket. I think we had the perfect storm for defoliation with the back to back to back 20's, wind, and long duration below freezing.

I drove by the cubans at the Elephant Bar in Chandler and they look just like yours Scott.

Frustrating to say the least - seems like just when you get the crown of leaves that represent the specimen close to what you find in Florida or Hawaii, ZAP!

Randy

Chandler, Arizona

USDA Hardiness Zone 9b(Warming to 10a)

Lowest Temps (usually) in the upper 20's

(Freeze of '07 lowest temp was 18dF)

Highest temps (usually) in the triple digit teens

I think we had the perfect storm for defoliation with the back to back to back 20's, wind, and long duration below freezing.

Frustrating to say the least - seems like just when you get the crown of leaves that represent the specimen close to what you find in Florida or Hawaii, ZAP!

Mesa, Arizona

Thursday, 24 65 | 36° F Clear Friday, 25 70 | 40° F Partly Cloudy Saturday, 26 67 | 34° F Chance of Rain Sunday, 27 52 | 31° F Chance of Rain Monday, 28 63 | 34° F Partly Cloudy

:blink:

This is getting old.

Randy

Chandler, Arizona

USDA Hardiness Zone 9b(Warming to 10a)

Lowest Temps (usually) in the upper 20's

(Freeze of '07 lowest temp was 18dF)

Highest temps (usually) in the triple digit teens

• 1 month later...

How are peoples Palms recovering? I put all my potted palms on my patio with a propane heater and most had little to no damage. I lost 2 unprotected fishtails (I think thats what they are called)my queens look like hell, and my foxtail with a heat lamp lost most of its fronds but is putting out new growth. Anybody in Phoenix have a bismark that was fine? I see a few around that dont look too good but they are tough for me to figure out with their odd color.

Bismark made it through without a scratch.These are alot tougher than people give them credit for.Rarely seen in Phoenix but seem to survive just fine against both our heat and cold.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-033109700 1302380258_thumb.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Others like this triangle and foxtail were completely defoliated but have already put out at least one new leaf already.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-006357700 1302381013_thumb.jpg

post-236-065979900 1302381682_thumb.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Same goes for the cuban royals... (Pics taken today)

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-089948500 1302382447_thumb.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

WOW! You have some great palms! (even with the damage). Im really hoping to expand my collection this year. I'm hoping to get a bismark, and a few more foxtails and maybe a canary island date if I can find someone that will let me dig theirs up.. Any places you can recommend to find them. Pacific Palms is nice but they are a bit smaller than I want. I was thinking about making the drive out to San Diego to buy a few palms. Where did you find those Cubans?????

Edited by MKIVRYAN

WOW! You have some great palms! (even with the damage). Im really hoping to expand my collection this year. I'm hoping to get a bismark, and a few more foxtails and maybe a canary island date if I can find someone that will let me dig theirs up.. Any places you can recommend to find them. Pacific Palms is nice but they are a bit smaller than I want. I was thinking about making the drive out to San Diego to buy a few palms. Where did you find those Cubans?????

Those Cuban royals were grown right here in Arizona from seed.They are 8 years old and grow very quickly if you keep them wet. A free Canary Island date should be an easy find on craigslist.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Thanks for the update AZ!

Your information is very important as a learning resource.

Hmm. Looks like there's going to be some bizzie buzz in Kleenex soon . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Bismark made it through without a scratch.These are alot tougher than people give them credit for.Rarely seen in Phoenix but seem to survive just fine against both our heat and cold.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Aren't you worried that this constriction in the stem will create a structural defect as the bismarck gets older ?

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Aren't you worried that this constriction in the stem will create a structural defect as the bismarck gets older ?

Kumar,don't worry... there is no constriction in the stem.It is just the way it is trimmed.Most people do not remove the old leaf bases - I prefer to for a cleaner look.This palm is already over a meter wide at the base and keeps getting fatter every year.It's VERY happy! :)

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona