IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Brace for it Phoenix!

Randy

The news is grim, but preparation is key. Tomorrow night from about 9PM to 9am, 28d F and possibly lower in our colder valley locations(like mine). Then down to 30d F the next day, and 31d F after that.

My afternoons the next three says will be protecting the palms, plumeria, and hibiscus all over my yard! And the banana and pineapple.

The last prolonged below freezing temps here wiped out a ton of ficus trees and burnt a lot of green vegetation into the ground.

More to come...

Randy

Chandler, Arizona

USDA Hardiness Zone 9b(Warming to 10a)

Lowest Temps (usually) in the upper 20's

(Freeze of '07 lowest temp was 18dF)

Highest temps (usually) in the triple digit teens

Phoenix is one tough species of palm and should be AOK ! :mrlooney:

• Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Phoenix is one tough species of palm and should be AOK ! :mrlooney:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

• Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

I think Troy has had too much Jubaea wine.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

That or he's still smoking acai berry ganja :mrlooney:

• Upvote 1

Randy

Chandler, Arizona

• 1 month later...

The December event was bearable as I recorded only 3 cold nights, (29,29,27) which left only minor burn and bronzing to most vegetation. After that,70's in the day and 40's at night has been the norm... until now.

post-236-003952700 1296745006_thumb.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

24 degrees verified by 3 different thermometers around the yard.A steady 10 mph breeze both day and night made it difficult to cover stuff up. Anything that wasn't protected is now a lovely dark shade of green and I expect complete defoliation of cuban royals and triangles.Anything with leaves is going to be ugly for awhile. Looks like the orange trees took quite a hit...

post-236-093518900 1296747127_thumb.jpg

post-236-088962200 1296747759_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Allspice tree completely frozen... Hope something comes back.

post-236-000619800 1296749174_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

If this papaya wasn't completely dead from last months freeze,it is now!

post-236-038175100 1296749852_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Ficus nitida is browned on the outer canopy,but the large ones always recover.

Phoenix does have its temperature extremes,but fortunately,events like this are not a yearly occurrence. (last time was January 2007)

post-236-060738100 1296754689_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

From the NWS_Phoenix:

"Yesterday was the coldest day across the region since 1985. Phoenix set a new record low high temperature (by five degrees)at 44F\ 6.6C [normal for early Feb is 70F\ 21.1C]. It was also the coldest high temperature ever recorded during the month of February in Phoenix."

There were so many unusual factors involved the transport of arctic air into the Southwest. Hopefully this will not occur again this winter.

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Didn't want to risk things with my larger Pseudo's so I was at least able to get them covered with just a sheet for insulation and they seem fine for the most part. I intentionally left a 7 gallon sargentii exposed and uncovered and although you could see some frozen spotting this morning;now that it has warmed up outside it looks just fine.

Tough little buggers! Unfortunately,the 6 ft tall cuban royal seedlings right next to it got nicely toasted as you can see.

post-236-023977800 1296759745_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Madagascar "palm" is another one that appears to prefer the milder temps.

post-236-067177900 1296760398_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

This shot of my cuban royal shows the unmistakable benefit that Christmas lights can provide.Even though most of the outer foliage has been frozen and killed,the center area is still nice and green.Although it will be ugly for a while,at least it will still be around to try again.

post-236-064052100 1296761357_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Life goes on... Even though some of my palms took a hit,all the cacti appear unfazed.Here are a couple flowering right now;after the big freeze.

post-236-009036900 1296762039_thumb.jpg

post-236-099510200 1296762941_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Some areas of Phoenix were in the low twenties and even the high teens, this stinks, am I going to have to start planting for zone 8b instead of 9b?

• Upvote 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

That or he's still smoking acai berry ganja :mrlooney:

For all I have read about acai berry, you should be able to water a coconut with it and grow it in Alaska, unprotected.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Wow, the impact of this front was amazing. It's the same one that got us here in Texas. Next week looks like another one but further east.

Wow, the impact of this front was amazing. It's the same one that got us here in Texas. Next week looks like another one but further east.

No No No! Winter is over!

<head in sand>

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

No No No! Winter is over!

<head in sand>

No kidding, I knew we would still have cold spells but I really thought the worst was over. I need to find a warmer desert to live in, maybe the Atacama?

• Upvote 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Well winter is over for me next Monday. Six weeks under those Cuban royals in Cuba will let me forget the misery of winter!

Alexander

I guess we'll see how tough those Pseudophoenix really are. Night 2 is actually a degree colder for me (23) and I see that the unprotected Pseudo is completely frozen dark green.I've seen some plants that have that ability to freeze and then unthaw,seemingly without any damage,and it is truly amazing.Below are pictures of a Ravenea xerophylla and an octopus agave,both of which have that ability.

post-236-044988000 1296831866_thumb.jpg

post-236-068702600 1296832580_thumb.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

I hope those Pseudo's are not like Chambyronia that take a week or more to show the actual damage!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

A couple of update pics to show how fast things can dry up here in the desert. 4 days ago,these royals were lush and green.Now nearly 100% grey.They will recover.

post-236-007750700 1296933199_thumb.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Ficus nitida are all a lovely shade of chocolate. Mmmm,chocolate. Actually look pretty sharp until the leaves fall off.

post-236-029421000 1296933930_thumb.jpg

post-236-069723200 1296934519_thumb.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Well for me winter will be over tomorrow for me. When I get out of that airplane in Havanna, Cuba. That island full with awesome palms where some folks are not allowed to goo!

But for that big country north of it winter will go one for a while I guess!

As long as it stays there where it belongs its fine to me...

Alexander

• 2 weeks later...

Although I made an attempt to protect some of the known most cold sensitive plants with C9 Christmas lights and covering with sheets which has worked well in the past,unfortunately,the power went out for two hours between 4 and 6 am on our coldest night in 50 years; so there is more damage than I would have normally expected.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Scott,

My foxtail leaves are crispy like your cubans. The damage is hard to look at and really discouraging. This With two close sub freezing spells that included many hours below freezing, I'm wondering if the woody's will make it back. :unsure:

If they don't, it's time for plan B and probably non-crown shaft palms - I probably just need to "act my zone."

It's either that or I need to uncover the opportunity that will take me to the big island and leave the roller coaster temps behind!

Randy

Chandler, Arizona

Why not just get some propane and use it up in an evening? Sure it might cost 20 bucks for a night, but it's a whole lot cheaper than losing a dypsis. Not very often is it going to get that cold.... Or just plant more queens:)

Why not just get some propane and use it up in an evening? Sure it might cost 20 bucks for a night, but it's a whole lot cheaper than losing a dypsis. Not very often is it going to get that cold.... Or just plant more queens:)

I think the challenge is using propane to last ten hours in three different locations? Are you talking about the propane heaters that run from the 5 gallon BBQ style tanks? I'm curious how to prevent leaf burn from the cold with a heater...

Randy

Chandler, Arizona