Randy

Brace for it Phoenix!

Randy

The news is grim, but preparation is key. Tomorrow night from about 9PM to 9am, 28d F and possibly lower in our colder valley locations(like mine). Then down to 30d F the next day, and 31d F after that.

My afternoons the next three says will be protecting the palms, plumeria, and hibiscus all over my yard! And the banana and pineapple.

The last prolonged below freezing temps here wiped out a ton of ficus trees and burnt a lot of green vegetation into the ground.

More to come...

Tassie_Troy1971

Phoenix is one tough species of palm and should be AOK ! :mrlooney:

• Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos

Phoenix is one tough species of palm and should be AOK ! :mrlooney:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

• Upvote 1

MattyB

I think Troy has had too much Jubaea wine.

Randy

That or he's still smoking acai berry ganja :mrlooney:

• Upvote 1

aztropic

The December event was bearable as I recorded only 3 cold nights, (29,29,27) which left only minor burn and bronzing to most vegetation. After that,70's in the day and 40's at night has been the norm... until now.

post-236-003952700 1296745006_thumb.jpg

aztropic

24 degrees verified by 3 different thermometers around the yard.A steady 10 mph breeze both day and night made it difficult to cover stuff up. Anything that wasn't protected is now a lovely dark shade of green and I expect complete defoliation of cuban royals and triangles.Anything with leaves is going to be ugly for awhile. Looks like the orange trees took quite a hit...

post-236-093518900 1296747127_thumb.jpg

post-236-088962200 1296747759_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

aztropic

Allspice tree completely frozen... Hope something comes back.

post-236-000619800 1296749174_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

aztropic

If this papaya wasn't completely dead from last months freeze,it is now!

post-236-038175100 1296749852_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

aztropic

Foxtail seedling

post-236-008935100 1296750480_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

aztropic

A ROYAL devastation. Cuban royals completely defoliated.

post-236-001923700 1296754071_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

aztropic

Ficus nitida is browned on the outer canopy,but the large ones always recover.

Phoenix does have its temperature extremes,but fortunately,events like this are not a yearly occurrence. (last time was January 2007)

post-236-060738100 1296754689_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

happ

From the NWS_Phoenix:

"Yesterday was the coldest day across the region since 1985. Phoenix set a new record low high temperature (by five degrees)at 44F\ 6.6C [normal for early Feb is 70F\ 21.1C]. It was also the coldest high temperature ever recorded during the month of February in Phoenix."

There were so many unusual factors involved the transport of arctic air into the Southwest. Hopefully this will not occur again this winter.

• Upvote 1

Hilo Jason

Scott - How are your Pseudophoenix doing after last nights cold? I hope they are ok!

• Upvote 1

aztropic

Didn't want to risk things with my larger Pseudo's so I was at least able to get them covered with just a sheet for insulation and they seem fine for the most part. I intentionally left a 7 gallon sargentii exposed and uncovered and although you could see some frozen spotting this morning;now that it has warmed up outside it looks just fine.

Tough little buggers! Unfortunately,the 6 ft tall cuban royal seedlings right next to it got nicely toasted as you can see.

post-236-023977800 1296759745_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

aztropic

Madagascar "palm" is another one that appears to prefer the milder temps.

post-236-067177900 1296760398_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

aztropic

This shot of my cuban royal shows the unmistakable benefit that Christmas lights can provide.Even though most of the outer foliage has been frozen and killed,the center area is still nice and green.Although it will be ugly for a while,at least it will still be around to try again.

post-236-064052100 1296761357_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

aztropic

Life goes on... Even though some of my palms took a hit,all the cacti appear unfazed.Here are a couple flowering right now;after the big freeze.

post-236-009036900 1296762039_thumb.jpg

post-236-099510200 1296762941_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Xerarch

Some areas of Phoenix were in the low twenties and even the high teens, this stinks, am I going to have to start planting for zone 8b instead of 9b?

• Upvote 1

_Keith

That or he's still smoking acai berry ganja :mrlooney:

For all I have read about acai berry, you should be able to water a coconut with it and grow it in Alaska, unprotected.

jasons

Wow, the impact of this front was amazing. It's the same one that got us here in Texas. Next week looks like another one but further east.

spockvr6

Wow, the impact of this front was amazing. It's the same one that got us here in Texas. Next week looks like another one but further east.

No No No! Winter is over!

<head in sand>

Xerarch

No No No! Winter is over!

<head in sand>

No kidding, I knew we would still have cold spells but I really thought the worst was over. I need to find a warmer desert to live in, maybe the Atacama?

• Upvote 1

Takil-Explorer

Well winter is over for me next Monday. Six weeks under those Cuban royals in Cuba will let me forget the misery of winter!

Alexander

Hilo Jason

Scott - Nice to hear your Pseudophoenix did ok! that's encouraging to hear.

• Upvote 1

aztropic

I guess we'll see how tough those Pseudophoenix really are. Night 2 is actually a degree colder for me (23) and I see that the unprotected Pseudo is completely frozen dark green.I've seen some plants that have that ability to freeze and then unthaw,seemingly without any damage,and it is truly amazing.Below are pictures of a Ravenea xerophylla and an octopus agave,both of which have that ability.

post-236-044988000 1296831866_thumb.jpg

post-236-068702600 1296832580_thumb.jpg

BS Man about Palms

I hope those Pseudo's are not like Chambyronia that take a week or more to show the actual damage!

aztropic

Guess we'll find out soon enough... :)

aztropic

A couple of update pics to show how fast things can dry up here in the desert. 4 days ago,these royals were lush and green.Now nearly 100% grey.They will recover.

post-236-007750700 1296933199_thumb.jpg

aztropic

Ficus nitida are all a lovely shade of chocolate. Mmmm,chocolate. Actually look pretty sharp until the leaves fall off.

post-236-029421000 1296933930_thumb.jpg

post-236-069723200 1296934519_thumb.jpg

Takil-Explorer

Well for me winter will be over tomorrow for me. When I get out of that airplane in Havanna, Cuba. That island full with awesome palms where some folks are not allowed to goo!

But for that big country north of it winter will go one for a while I guess!

As long as it stays there where it belongs its fine to me...

Alexander

aztropic

Two weeks after our freeze,damage is obviously visible.

Cooked cubans

post-236-027240400 1297882588_thumb.jpg

aztropic

Burnt bottles.

post-236-017800700 1297883210_thumb.jpg

aztropic

Fried foxtail.

post-236-076217900 1297885702_thumb.jpg

aztropic

Torched triangle.

post-236-021953400 1297886290_thumb.jpg

aztropic

Although I made an attempt to protect some of the known most cold sensitive plants with C9 Christmas lights and covering with sheets which has worked well in the past,unfortunately,the power went out for two hours between 4 and 6 am on our coldest night in 50 years; so there is more damage than I would have normally expected.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Randy

Scott,

My foxtail leaves are crispy like your cubans. The damage is hard to look at and really discouraging. This With two close sub freezing spells that included many hours below freezing, I'm wondering if the woody's will make it back. :unsure:

If they don't, it's time for plan B and probably non-crown shaft palms - I probably just need to "act my zone."

It's either that or I need to uncover the opportunity that will take me to the big island and leave the roller coaster temps behind!

enigma99

Why not just get some propane and use it up in an evening? Sure it might cost 20 bucks for a night, but it's a whole lot cheaper than losing a dypsis. Not very often is it going to get that cold.... Or just plant more queens:)

Randy

Why not just get some propane and use it up in an evening? Sure it might cost 20 bucks for a night, but it's a whole lot cheaper than losing a dypsis. Not very often is it going to get that cold.... Or just plant more queens:)

I think the challenge is using propane to last ten hours in three different locations? Are you talking about the propane heaters that run from the 5 gallon BBQ style tanks? I'm curious how to prevent leaf burn from the cold with a heater...