IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mike Burnett

Scott McDonald

I just received an email from Mike's brother Steve Burnett, and it's not good:

Hello Mike's Friends

This is Mike's brother Steve.

After over 8 months with his battle with cancer Mike has passed away into peace. He has been really suffering for some

time now. Up until his last final words, if he was asked how he was doing he would say "fine thank you". He never

complained and the worst he ever had to say about his illness was 'this is so sad'.

He made so many friends at the VA hospital. Everyone loved his attitude and warmth toward all.

His two sisters, his niece Tammy and I were with him as he passed as was Pat Speck, his long time friend.

He will surely be very missed but not forgotten.

Thanks to all you great friends that kept him in your thoughts and payers.

We will rest for a few days before deciding if there will be a service but will surely let you know.

Steve Burnett

My condolences to the family.

Most of you probably don't know, but Mike was instrumental in the early years of PalmTalk. He was Robert Riffle's tech "right hand man." Robert was the Moderator, and Mike was the Webmaster. Together they created PalmTalk. The logo you see at the top of the page was designed by Mike. And much of the format today is still a legacy of the way Robert and Mike set things up.

I knew very little about websites and servers when I first took over Robert's job of moderating, and Mike wanted to to be free of the technical responsibilities after Robert's passing. He was so very generous with his time and his patience as he helped me understand how things worked. And even after several years, when I would contact him regarding a problem, he promptly got back to me and was more than willing to see what he could do to help us out.

I did not know he was suffering, and I do not know if he was aware of his cancer when we last talked. But as his brother indicated, he was not one to complain, or to broadcast his situation. So the news caught me by surprise. I am indebted to Mike for all the assistance he provided to me, and I will miss knowing his friendly manner is no longer there to fall back on.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

I tip my hat to Mike, condolences to the family, he was instrumental in bringing this part of the world closer and friendlier, he remains a legend.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

This is very sad news indeed. As Dean mentioned, Mike was very instrumental and extremely helpful. Our old forum crashed in June 2006, and that was a MAJOR crash. Mike and Bob Riffle put in untold hours getting us up and running again, and then spent the better part of that summer retrieving data from the old forum. I am truly sorry to hear this and my thoughts go out to his family and friends.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I assume this is the Mike that did the site for the South Texas Palm Society, or something like that. That site was one of the first ones I discovered when I was getting interested in palms, but it just seemed to go dormant, and I always wondered why. Was it because he and RLR turned their attentions to this site, or was it Mike's health, or,,,, I'm just curious.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I'm saddened to learn of Mike's passing, and offer my condolences to his family and friends.

I first came in contact (online) with Mike about 10 years ago at his old website Gulf Breeze, which catered to the states bordering the Gulf of Mexico for those growing palms and tropicals). I met (online) Bob Riffle at Mike's website forum also, before he moved to Florida from Houston, Tx.

Mike was very helpful to me with respect to my palms and tropical plants growing and we exchanged emails frequently. We also traded some plants and seeds, some plants that I still have in my garden. Now these plants will have increased meaning to me. I now have plants/palms in my garden from three deceased friends: Bob Riffle, John Bishock, and Mike Burnett. They all left us much too soon.

Mad about palms

My condolences to another unsung, behind the scenes hero that got palmtalk where it is today...

I suspect Mike and RLR are catching up now...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!