IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bocas del Toro, Panamá

Jeff in St Pete

Thanks Mike. There are a lot of expats in Bocas, so many of the Panamanians speak some English.

Bocas Province is populated by many ex-Jamaicans who worked at the banana fields for the Bocas Fruit Company i.e. Chiquita Brands. They used to be all English-speaking but now are bilingual. So many of the restauranteurs, hoteliers, and retailers were ex-pats from the U.S., Canada, and Europe so they are often tri-lingual. You definitely are in an area that is atypical of Panama. It really is a melange of Creoles, ex-pats of other Central American countries, black Caribbean islanders, Chinese & white Nord Americanos. Going to Bocas town (as the island town is called) is like visiting Jamaica, Trinidad, or the Virgin Islands (and maybe a bit like Macau or Kowloon!) The racial composition, ethnicity, and mother tongues of the locals is totally unique among all of Panama's provinces/states.

I like the island for its "high" life, but I don't think that I could live on Isla Colon...too noisy for me. Mainland Bocas del Toro is virgin rainforest, and soon will be featuring an expressway to Panama City. It will take under 4 hours to drive from Changuinola to Panama City. Now the drive (through Boquete and David, in Chiriqui Province,) takes about 9 hours because you have to cross the Continental Divide at about 6000 feet. There are dozens of switchbacks, blind-spots, and hair-raising turns on the current trans-isthmus route.

I think that Bocas del Toro Province is about 20 years behind Costa Rica as far as development goes but its colonial shabby chic "quaintness" days are numbered as big developers (including Don Trump) have purchased many acres of land on all the islamds and on the mainland. Its population total of about 90,000 people will probably rise to 250,000 within 10 years I'm betting! See it now before it becomes a further south version of South Florida & the Fla. Keys!!

Pablito

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

The white flower is a spider lilly (Hymenocallis). I have been to Bocas del Toro in 1998, it looks more wealthy now then 13 years ago. And very sad that this are will also be spoild soon by developers! Bloody developers!

Alexander

Thanks for all the nice comments.

Randy, I didn't see where the surfers hung out (other than in front of the hostels). I assume they take them out to the breaks by boat.

Robert, sorry but I didn't ask her the purpose of the Botanical Garden. I've noticed that the term "Botanical Garden" is used loosely in Central America and does not always include scientific research. But, this botanical garden is next door to the Smithsonian Tropical Research Station so maybe there is some connection. I will have to ask Lin the next time I talk to her.

Paul, thanks for describing Bocas del Toro so well. You are much more informed on this area than I am, and I appreciate the insight.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica