Sign in to follow this  
dp92651

Transplanting phoenix roebelenii

dp92651

Does anyone have any tips on transplanting phoenix roebelenii? I am thinking of moving mine but wondering if I am up to the task (how much of the root ball I need to save). The largest growth has about 3' of trunk with 2 others of staggered size. I would post a picture but I dont have one.

Thanks.

Ken Johnson

We are here to help you. Can you now take a picture? Do you know what root prunning means?

Darold Petty

My experience is that this species is a bit tricky, and more sensitive than say, Chamaerops or Trachycarpus. A larger rootball is definitely a good start. If you have no time constraint I suggest that you dig around half the circumference and then wait a few months befor completing the dig. (root pruning) Put plastic against the inside of the trench and fill the trench with mulch.

Palmlover

I had my gardener dig mine out. It is over 8 ft tall multi trunk planted 14 years ago. It took three big guys to pick it up and wheel barrel it to my backyard. The key to it was to dig it out and replant in the same day. Try to keep as much of the soil/rootball together. Once in the ground soak with water and feed with a vitamin D transplant solution. Its been 3 months and mine is doing very wel! The first few leaves got an unusual dark brown/black tips over a few weeks. I fed it with the vitamin D transplant solution once a week for 30 days. My gardener said the key was to make sure the root ball stays moist for a few weeks during the shock state. When they dug it out, about 30% of the root ball got damaged. :blink:

Now I see new growth on the tree, great sign.

Edited by Palmlover

Palmlover

The reason why I transplanted mine was I was doing some construction for a pool and it got in the way of the Bobcat. The contractor wanted to just chop it up with a chainsaw and replant a new one after construction. Although I had a gardener crew move it, it was alot of work and they spent a whole day moving and planting it. The money I spent was smilar to buying another one of its size, but I raised it from a baby and couldn't see killing it. I took a gamble that it was going to survive too! Worked out well.

post-5160-004878100 1293168247_thumb.jpg

Edited by Palmlover

MattyB

Paul and I dug up 3 P. roebs that were about 7-8 feet overall. We got small rootballs and were able to handle each palm with only two people. We took no special care of them and they survived with no visible shock. Wait until Summer before attempting to transplant and carefully prune and wrap up the upper trunk with furniture pads, blankets, etc, so that you don't injure yourself.