IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Summer in the south (and winter in the north)

Tyrone

Thanks Zig. Scott usually put them on the shed apex. They work quite well up there, except maybe temperature reading (the shed roof tends to be hotter)... Not important anyway... A friend found a website that sell them for US$500 but it said it was for US condition - whatever that means... We are trying to ask whether that has metric reading as well.... If it is $500, I might be able to swing it....

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

VICTORIANS have battled through the wettest summer on record.

The state has already received about 290mm of rainfall since the start of December, with still two weeks of summer to go.

The record was 237mm, reached in the summer of 1910-1911.

"It's almost like we're in the tropics," meteorologist Harvey Stern said.

"You get the very high humidities, not that high temperatures and the night times are warmer than usual."

Mr Stern said heavy rainfalls through December and January had tipped the scales.

"We had the fifth wettest December on record, followed by the wettest January ever on record.

"Now in February we're looking at extremely wet conditions once again."

While the rain has been good news for catchments, torrential downpours through January were responsible for the some of the worst flooding in history.

Mr Stern said the wild weather had been caused by one of the strongest La Nina events ever experienced.

"We've had a lot of extra moisture in the air and the warmer temperatures in the oceans," he said.

"That's also partly the reason for the cyclone activity in the north."

Just the sort of summer you did rain dances for Michael. :D Your garden will look magic now.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Anyway, that's the latest model run, need to check again over the next couple of days to see what they have it doing nearer Perth. You'd expect it to recurve towards land again by the time it reaches Perth's latitude. So perhaps some of the rain we've been getting?

TC Dianne is looking like going out to sea and never returning as you say. I doubt now we'll even get much cloud. The forecast for Sunday was 25C and rain, but it's been lifted to cloudy and 30C(the coolest day in ages-25C would have felt freezing). The computer modelling has been yoyoing between Dianne crossing the coast near Perth, to blowing out at sea. Knowing our luck, we'll get nothing. Don't you hate it when cyclones don't do what you want. :D

It's been so hot here. I'd never thought I'd say this, but I can't wait for it to cool down. The air con has been going for almost 2 weeks straight. We had nearly 40C the other day, nothing out of the ordinary for Perth in Feb, but it just burnt so many things although my place didn't burn at all. I did a landscape not far from me last week, and established plants and shrubs that you'd think were indestructible were totally fried. Today I saw established trees like Queensland Box trees all wilting in the sun. Even crappy weeds were wilting everywhere. Working in it fries your brain too.

EX TC Carlos may come down here eventually and bring a few drops if we're lucky. I would have liked 100mm in 6 hrs though.

Glad you guys escaped from Carlos unscathed except for some tree damage.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Ari, all it will mean is that it comes already preset to the US system. You only have to reset it to metric, they all have that. The US is the only place that's stuck in the Dark Ages but because they need to export they build both systems into the equipment. Banks charge extra for foreign transactions and then there's freight from overseas, so still a bit more on that price.

Tyrone, realistically, Dianne didn't have much chance. Bianca had sucked out most of the energy along its track. Whatever warm water was left would have only been at the surface with no real depth. The weather bureau have to err on the side of caution to prevent complacency. They've now got Carlos reforming along the west coast, possibly another cautionary prediction. So far it's tended to be east of their track forecast and there's suggestions it may move more south than west. There's a new cyclone forming in the Fiji area but looks like staying well to the east.

Yeah.... apparently another $100 for postage. My bank didn't charge too badly for foreign transaction. Better than $1200 in Aus. I will look into it more seriously. If not for this wet season, definitely for the next.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Tyrone, realistically, Dianne didn't have much chance. Bianca had sucked out most of the energy along its track. Whatever warm water was left would have only been at the surface with no real depth. The weather bureau have to err on the side of caution to prevent complacency. They've now got Carlos reforming along the west coast, possibly another cautionary prediction. So far it's tended to be east of their track forecast and there's suggestions it may move more south than west. There's a new cyclone forming in the Fiji area but looks like staying well to the east.

Bianca took a different track to what was originally forecast for what became Dianne. Dianne was to come in very shallowly at almost the same angle as the coast is on the lower west coast. If it did that, it would be moving over 28C SST all the way to Perth. At the moment according to the BOM Bluelink the 28C line in the Leeuwin current will go past Perth to 34S in the next week. That is boiling water for down here. About 4C higher than it should be in March/April and we're not even there yet. Bianca was 3 weeks ago and it went out wide to head straight back at the coast head on, so if it took energy away from the ocean it is further out. Close to the coast is very warm.

In the next few hrs Dianne will head into cooler offshore water and that will drop it's intensity which is cat 3 at the moment. However if it took the track of the Leeuwin current it would be a totally different story. I don't believe it will do that though.

I've never seen the Leeuwin current so powerful before, but it is driven by La Nina forces in the Torres Strait etc and this is the most powerful La Nina in a very long time, so we've got lots of energy within the current. It will start to change the weather down here away from the normal. With 28C water off the coast and consistent mid thirties every day it will start to build up moisture in the air and increase humidity etc. It is very humid down here for Perth. Not much dry air and low dewpoints that we normally get.

TC Carlos as you say is going to reform between Derby and Broome and follow the coast. It may follow Dianne's track and go out to sea, but if it followed the Leeuwin current down due to the high pressure ridge etc being in the right place, it may pay us a visit too.

Best regards

Tyrone

Another toasty night last night, reminiscent of the record heatwave a few weeks ago. It "fell" to 26c at 6am, and is now back up to 30c at 9am.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Tyrone, a lot will depend on the depth of the warmth in the water. GFS now has ex-Carlos moving further off the coast but still pretty close to the same track. BOM indicates most models are in reasonable agreement so I haven't checked any of the others.

hhmm.... hopefully Carlos reach you, Tyrone... might get wet :D . With Carlos, anything is possible... what a freak of a cyclone!!! I can't believe it is still alive after so many days travelling on land....

Regards, Ari ;)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

That's going to be an interesting one. Will likely be cat 3 when it gets to Exmouth. A wet thunderstorm would be nice. I don't ask much. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Been hot here again today. 36.9C. 36C tomorrow after a 21C min.

Here's the long range forecast.

Wednesday Mostly sunny. Min 21 Max 36Thursday Partly cloudy. Humid. Min 24 Max 35Friday Partly cloudy. Humid. Min 24 Max 33Saturday Possible afternoon shower. Min 23 Max 33Sunday Chance of a shower. Min 23 Max 30Monday Chance of a shower. Min 20 Max 31

Feb so far is averaging 20.1C min 33.2C max with the lowest max being 29.6C. Air con has barely been turned off all Feb.

Best regards

Tyrone

Mini tornadoes are embedded in Carlos. Nasty little buggers. Quite a bit of damage in Karatha from otherwise a cat 2 cyclone. So, yes, hold on to your hat, as there might be more forming.

This was the discussion that we had over our local weather forum about cyclone Tracy. Even though, it was only Cat 4 - it caused so much more damage than it would otherwise because of those mini tornadoes embedded in it.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

It's fairly common for tornados to be embedded in cyclones. They can even be in tropical lows before they become cyclones. While TC George was building over us it spawned at least 5 tornados, one big one came through where I work. The weather bureau after studying the impact put it at an F3 on the Fujita Scale. There's nothing "mini" about these tornados. It missed the buildings but got 2 caravans.

One of the caravans (the remains of the other was about a kilometre away)

post-4226-057266000 1298373526_thumb.jpgpost-4226-056449800 1298373655_thumb.jpg

You wouldn't have been wanting to be standing in front of this fence spacer.

post-4226-000839800 1298373799_thumb.jpg

There was evidence of tornados in TC Larry, when they finish the analysis of TC Yasi they'll probably find the same.

Edited by tropicbreeze

Good old Onslow copping another cyclone. It would have to be the most cyclone hit town in all Oz. A cyclone magnet that place. Even swimming there is hazardous from all the debris that has ended up in the bay from all the cyclones. They have signs warning you of submerged debris in the water and that you shouldn't swim.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/cyclone-carlos-tracks-south-towards-onslow/16585

Best regards

Tyrone

Bit of a heatwave here.

Forecast for WednesdayMostly sunny. Moderate to fresh E/NE winds, easing in the afternoon, with aseabreeze near the coast late afternoon.Precis: Mostly sunny. City: Min 22 Max 36 Mandurah: Min 22 Max 33 UV Alert: 8:40 am to 4:20 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 12 [Extreme] Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: HIGH Hills: HIGH Thursday Partly cloudy. Humid. Min 24 Max 35Friday Cloudy. Humid. Min 24 Max 32Saturday Possible afternoon shower. Min 23 Max 33Sunday Chance of a shower. Min 23 Max 35Monday Chance of a shower. Min 24 Max 35Tuesday Mostly sunny. Min 24 Max 37

Best regards

Tyrone

It looks like another low will move west from the WA/NT border area on Sunday and take the same path as Carlos. Not sure if it will be a cyclone though. I just wish we'd get a thunderstorm or two down here though. Looks like we'll totally miss any rain from Carlos. :(

I thought it's been hot. Power bill is going to be horrifying.

Here's what the ABC has said.

"Perth has recorded its longest series of consecutive warm nights in 21 years.

The city has recorded ten consecutive nights with an overnight temperature of more than 20 degrees.

The previous record was set in 1990 when there were 13 consecutive nights over 20.

The Bureau of Meteorology says the Perth metropolitan areas mean maximum temperature for February is currently 33.5 degrees, making it the hottest February for 15 years."

The next week sees mins around 23,24C and max's in the mid thirties. Everyone is starting to get cranky too. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Perth enduring second hottest summer on record

Press Release, Thursday February 24, 2011 - 13:12 EDTPerth has been sweltering in its hottest summer in 33 years and second hottest summer in more than 110 years of records, according to weatherzone.com.au.

"It's virtually a certainty with the rest of the month staying well above 20 degrees at night and rising to the mid 30s every day," weatherzone meteorologist Brett Dutschke said.

The summer maximum will average at just under 32 degrees, about two degrees hotter than the long-term norm and the highest in 33 years.

The summer average minimum will turn out to be 19 degrees, one and a half degrees warmer than the long-term norm and the highest in 19 years.

Combining nighttime minimums and daytime maximums, the average temperature will come out at 25.4 degrees, the highest since the summer of 1977/1978 and second highest on record.

In summer 1977/1978, the average was 26.1 degrees, the highest since records began in 1897.

"The last half of February is the clincher - we'll end up having 15 consecutive nights warmer than 20 degrees and nearly every day in the mid 30s, record-breaking stuff," Dutschke said.

The previous longest run of nights warmer than 20 degrees is 13, in February/March 1990, so by Sunday morning a new record will have been broken.

All up, there will have been 60 days of 30 degrees or hotter, about 20 days more than the summer average.

"Two main reasons for the long hot summer; the persistence of easterly winds, bringing heat from the interior and the ineffectiveness of sea breezes, blowing off relatively warm waters," Dutschke said.

Easterlies were strong and gusty at times earlier this month, fuelling bushfires in the hills.

"There were a few reasons why it shouldn't have been a hot summer - it was a slow start, it took us 12 days to reach 30 degrees, the longest it's taken in six years. It also only reached 40 degrees twice, nothing unusual there," Dutschke said

"Looking ahead to autumn, temperatures should stay near-or-above average due to relatively warm waters off the west coast. These warmer than normal waters should also help rainfall trend back to near average."

Oh.... poor Tyrone. I know how hot Perth can be. We went to a wedding in summer a few years ago. I hope it cools down for you soon & better yet some rain...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Some rain falling to the east and north of me. 33C at the moment and 20C dewpoints and rising. Quite a bit of cloud around so not the typical blue sky dry Perth scorcher at the moment. The plants are loving this. You just add water and you have equatorial humidity in the undergrowth.

Ari, summer weddings in Perth especially in the Jan to March period can be real dodgy as you know. The Marquis for the bride and groom and celebrant, everyone dressed up like they're in Norway in the winter, 39C 2pm and nowhere to get out of the sun. That was one I went too last year in Feb. Even going outside the air conditioned reception centre at 9pm was way too hot, with hot easterly winds blowing.

I got married in Albany in August. Luckily we got blue skies and a break in the rain on the day.

Today I'm doing work on the computer, so I'm in air conditioned comfort, but next week I start a garden and it looks like identical weather then. Yuck. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

Just number crunched my July 2010 figures. Average maximum was 33.5, average minimum was 20.4. And only managed 6 consecutive nights with a minimum 20 and above.

Just number crunched my July 2010 figures. Average maximum was 33.5, average minimum was 20.4. And only managed 6 consecutive nights with a minimum 20 and above.

Aren't you in the northern hemisphere all the way up there.mrlooney.gif

Just had a cool few days with heaps of rain .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Actually haven't seen the sun for quite some time. It has been cloudy, hence.... the temperature never rise above unpleasant :winkie: . I hope it will rain this weekend again, since I have plans to plant something or two.

Michael, how is the clean up process?

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Aren't you in the northern hemisphere all the way up there.mrlooney.gif

Tyrone, we officially rejoined the southern hemisphere 10th February (solar-wise). So far the numbers for February this year are average maximum 30.6, average minimum 23.7, and 24 consecutive days (out of 24) with minimum 20 and over. A lot of people don't believe me when I tell them we get our highest average for maximums in winter and lowest average for maximums in summer.

Michael, is all your debris getting carted off as you pull it out or do you have to stockpile it indefinitely? Chainsaws and rain aren't a good combination.

Ari, I'm getting occasional bursts of sun, mostly through thin cloud though. Any rain has only been light drizzle. Yesterday the atmospheric pressure dropped quickly to 999.0 hPa and I thought something might start to happen. But then it started to go up again. So looks like that low is now on its way to Tyrone. Not much rain in it despite all the continuing flood warnings. Weekend they're talking up to 100mm to 150mm falls. Can't see that happening.

My February total so far has broken the 700mm barrier and is presently standing at 701.2mm. Previous record high for one month was January 2010 with 680.8mm. Of course, Darwin northern suburbs are looking at 1100mm totals by the end of the month.

Zig, your temps are almost always to do with moisture content in the atmosphere and less about moving out of the way of the sun like down here. For those who don't understand weather and the solar cycle, that must really do their heads in when you tell them winter is warmer than summer. Also you are directly under the sun twice a year, whereas down here, I never get the sun higher than 8.5 degrees north of straight up around Dec 22. Your July is what we're sort of getting now down here.

Darwin weather only varies about 4C all year. Your diurnal temperature spread is higher in winter due to the drier atmosphere. So you have the unusual situation where mins are lower in winter and higher in summer (in itself quite normal), while your max's are higher in winter and less in summer. You'd also never get a 40C day like down here. We haven't had it this year, but a run of 40C plus weather is hell.

Although people complain about the heat and humidity in Darwin, I personally think you would get used to it after a while, due to the little annual variance. Down here we can go from winter, then have two or three weeks of spring, then get summer weather. Those transitional times are really hard to take and the plants must feel it too. In 3 months time, we'll be putting the heater back on. :( Not looking forward to that, and I'll start to get all worried about my Dwarf Malay again.

The days are getting noticeably shorter now and the mornings have become darker, and very soon I'll be envious of the weather we're having now.

Had a min of 24.5C and going for 36C today. Dewpoints were around 22C lastnight but have dropped back to 18C this morning due to the easterly picking up just slightly. At just before 8am it's 27.2C with an 18.4C dewpoint. Very sticky for Perth.

That low up near you is meant to virtually take Carlos's track. Carlos is a cat 3 way off the coast around 25.5S bothering no one except ships. It has drawn in the humidity though. I don't think we'll ever see any rain from these systems. TC Bianca was aimed directly at us and got within 100km of us, didn't even drop a drop on us, and barely made the leaves move, while the south of us got the rain. TC Dianne was at first meant to get us, then went out to sea. TC Carlos is following Dianne, and so will the next. Any rain from these systems will land on southern NZ. Oh well.

Best regards

Tyrone

Ari, I'm getting occasional bursts of sun, mostly through thin cloud though. Any rain has only been light drizzle. Yesterday the atmospheric pressure dropped quickly to 999.0 hPa and I thought something might start to happen. But then it started to go up again. So looks like that low is now on its way to Tyrone. Not much rain in it despite all the continuing flood warnings. Weekend they're talking up to 100mm to 150mm falls. Can't see that happening.

My February total so far has broken the 700mm barrier and is presently standing at 701.2mm. Previous record high for one month was January 2010 with 680.8mm. Of course, Darwin northern suburbs are looking at 1100mm totals by the end of the month.

You are ahead of me, Zig. It is only 693.5 so far today. Yeah, I can't see 100-150mm this weekend either....

Tyrone,

You would be surprised how many people hate the weather up here. I think if you turn AC on all the time, you would never acclimatise. Mine is only on during build up...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

And it just keeps getting hotter. Look at those minimums go.

Forecast for Friday Sunny and humid. Light to moderate E/NE winds becoming W/SW in the afternoon. Precis: Sunny. Humid. City: Max 37 Mandurah: Max 35 UV Alert: 8:40 am to 4:20 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 12 [Extreme] Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: HIGH Hills: HIGH Forecast for Saturday A sunny and humid day. Light E'ly winds becoming light to moderate W/SW'ly inthe afternoon. Precis: Sunny. Humid. City: Min 24 Max 38Mandurah: Min 24 Max 34Sunday Very hot. Partly cloudy. Min 25 Max 38Monday Partly cloudy. Min 26 Max 35Tuesday Sunny. Min 24 Max 37Wednesday Very hot. Sunny. Min 24 Max 38Thursday Sunny. Min 25 Max 37

Best regards

Tyrone

Darwin right on the coast wouldn't get to 40 but just inland a bit it can go over. Can't get the official stats for Noonamah, but Jabiru where I lived previously is about the same distance from the coast The highest there is 42.4. I remember it going over 40 fairly often in the build up, although more recently temps have been lower and rainfall higher.

As you say, it's easy to get acclimatised here because of the small temperature range and our extremes such as they are only build up slowly. But still a lot of people just don't, they keep the aircons as low as possible and then wonder why they're falling over when they go outside. I lived in Arnhem Land for a number of years, no electricity let alone aircons. I only use them now in a room for storing photos, books and other things needing protection from the humidity. I sleep with overhead fans, no aircon. You can do it easily if you genuinely try.

You're right about looking back. When people here start complaining about the wet season I remind them it's a long time dry and they'll soon be looking back longingly at the rainy weather.

Carlos didn't make it to cat 3, the water just wasn't warm enough despite shear dropping. Interestingly I've heard BOM is downgrading Yasi to a cat 4. Usually after a cyclone they go over the data again. I saw one of the reports on Larry and even well after the event there was a lot of disagreement about its strength. Part of it was that there were tornados embedded in it, and also the effect of mountain ranges on wind.

You're right about Carlos. They were saying it was cat 3 a few hrs ago but now the map has it saying cat 2. They must have reassessed there figures. Doesn't really matter. It was a totally useless cyclone IMO. :D

Interesting that they're saying cat 4 for Yasi. Those in Tully would likely say it was cat 5.

I think if you have similar weather all year round, closing oneself in an air conditioned room and not allowing your body to get used to it, is a quick way to begin to hate a place. Who wants to do that.

Best regards

Tyrone

I think if you have similar weather all year round, closing oneself in an air conditioned room and not allowing your body to get used to it, is a quick way to begin to hate a place. Who wants to do that.

Most southerners who come to Darwin, unfortunately!!! And then they complained that their power bill is huge!! Go figure!! I thought mine was big enough....

Zig,

Apparently with the low's gone, we might get some monsoonal flow this weekend. Maybe that 100mm will eventuate??

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Forecast for Friday Sunny and humid. Light to moderate E/NE winds becoming W/SW in the afternoon. Precis: Sunny. Humid. City: Max 37 Mandurah: Max 35 UV Alert: 8:40 am to 4:20 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 12 [Extreme] Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: HIGH Hills: HIGH Forecast for Saturday A sunny and humid day. Light E'ly winds becoming light to moderate W/SW'ly inthe afternoon. Precis: Sunny. Humid. City: Min 24 Max 38Mandurah: Min 24 Max 34Sunday Very hot. Partly cloudy. Min 25 Max 38Monday Partly cloudy. Min 26 Max 35Tuesday Sunny. Min 24 Max 37Wednesday Very hot. Sunny. Min 24 Max 38Thursday Sunny. Min 25 Max 37

Best regards

Tyrone

Thats sure is Hot Tyrone

Down here this summer i haven't had a day over 32c and the warmest overnight temperature was 17c ! No wonder my Rhopalostylis are growing so well :lol:

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Best regards

Tyrone

Thats sure is Hot Tyrone

Down here this summer i haven't had a day over 32c and the warmest overnight temperature was 17c ! No wonder my Rhopalostylis are growing so well :lol:

All my Rhopies are in shade and they have all stalled now. I think my Hedyscepe in the ground is dying. Those in pots look OK but I can't see any growth at the moment. Dwarf Malay coconut is growing 3cm of spear a night though. I'm giving it foliar Miracle Gro seaweed and fish every day. The gold parts are going green. :D

Tyrone, before making landfall Yasi passed over where Anthony had welled up deeper colder water. You could see the faltering starting and that's why they feel it didn't maintain a consistency of strength right through to landfall. The practical difference between a high end 4 and low end 5 isn't much so it's more an academic exercise. From memory wind speed at landfall was 275 or 285 kph. Monica at landfall was 360 kph, also cat 5.

The situation in Jabiru is fairly indicative of how things often work up here. The town was basically built by the mining company which wanted to attract workers from down south. They built all the houses to look like southern houses. They put 5 aircons each in the houses. Carpeted the floors. People could come home and feel they were still down south, with aircons working flat out and the house all sealed up against the 'outside'. The mine covered the electricity costs and everyone was happily enjoying their southern environment. But miners never stay long. Just 6 to 12 months and they'd be off to the next place or back down south with pockets bulging with money. The stay-puts might get up to about 18 months. So it didn't matter whether anyone hated the place.

Ari, that last burst was interesting. Never expected it. I'd given up any hope of it kicking in like that considering the way it's been all day. I'm up to 718mm now and it looks like there's still more to come through the night. I've still got a lot of chainsaw work to do but rain and chainsaws don't mix. At least the Mahogany is soft wood. But the ground's too soft to drive car and trailer so I have to carry all the wood to the pile. The pile is going to be absolutely huge. You'll see the flames from your place when I eventually get a permit to burn.

I remember watching Monica and it was an absolute monster. I would have called it a cat 6 if there is such a thing. It was a miracle that it went past Darwin as a cat 1. 360kph winds would rip the bitumen off the road.

Best regards

Tyrone

I think Darwin was lucky with Monica..... VERY LUCKY!!!!

Zig,

Another windy one.... I have to go outside to check the gauge.... so won't do that till the morning. Good luck with chainsawing. I hope you can get it done this weekend, maybe in between storms.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I woke up to 85% RH this morning and around 23C dewpoints. Beautiful smell in the air. Palms have grown overnight. The moisture from last nights reticulation cycle has saturated everything and not dried away. At 8am it's 27C and 77% RH with blue skies. Going for 38C today. Air con is off at the moment to give it a rest.

Best regards

Tyrone

About 38 again today, not quite as humid as yesterday. Min around 23.5C.

From the media.

"Perth has broken its record for the greatest number of consecutive warm nights.

The minimum overnight temperature for the Perth metropolitan area has remained above 20 degrees for 14 consecutive nights, breaking the last record set in 1990.

There have also been 21 consecutive days of temperatures over 30 degrees.

Andy Robertson from the Health Department says people should be mindful of their health when there is an extended run of hot weather.

"Heat exhaustion is when people have a higher than normal body temperature, they are feeling generally unwell, they are nauseous, feeling faint and often that can be dealt with fairly easily by resting and getting lots of fluids," he said.

"If people have elderly relatives or neighbours, keep an eye on them because this is the time when the older or sick or frail may not be coping well and this is the time they may need someone to help them out.""

Tyrone

Just got back from a nursery buying plants. I feel totally whacked after enduring a humid 40.1C!!!!!!

In my area it's 39C with a 17.4C dewpoint. Very sticky.

Got the plants out of the covered ute immediately and wet them down in the nursery area. I'm actually looking forward to winter. I never thought I'd say that.

Best regards

Tyrone