IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

burned down palm forest in Europe

greekpalm

there are were only 2 naturally made palm forests in Europe. While Elche, Spain (Phoenix dactylifera) being the only man made palm forest in Europe.

The naturally made palm forests are situated in Crete, Greece (Phoenix theophrasti).

i quote from wikipedia (just being lazy to write)

"... a very restricted distribution confined in southern Greece to a few sites as in Crete "

and

" These are found in other Greek places too and especially in Amorgos island in four sites, in Anafi island there is a core on a beach at the south coast and recently have been found the last 10 palm trees of an ancient palm forest in Epidaurus area in Peloponnese and it is the only natural Phoenix theophrasti growing in mainland Greece. For this reason, it is said that in Ancient Greece there were many palm forests growing from Crete to Thebes and from the Peloponnese to Delos."

( http://en.wikipedia....nix_theophrasti )

From the article on wikipedia one could conclude that the forests are regressing from ancient times.

Until the 21st of August there were only two forests on the planet

• Upvote 1

USDA Hardiness Zones 9b to 10a

AHS Heat Zones 8

altitude 100 meters (320 Feet)

4 km (2,4 Miles) from the Mediterranean

16716.gif

lowest ever recorded temperature -4 C (24 F)

maximum ever recored temperature 45 C (113 F)

mean minimum temperature January 7 C (44 F)

mean maximum temperature January 14 C (57 F)

mean minimum temperature July 23 C (74 F)

mean maximum temperature July 33 C (92 F)

average annual rainfall 330mm (13 Inch)

average annual sunshine 2800 hours

1) Vai, Crete

post-5120-088101700 1292349542_thumb.jpg

post-5120-010653000 1292349555_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

AHS Heat Zones 8

16716.gif

2) Preveli, Crete

post-5120-068006700 1292349608_thumb.jpg

post-5120-020162800 1292349632_thumb.jpg

post-5120-007617100 1292349664_thumb.jpg

post-5120-099254200 1292349718_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

AHS Heat Zones 8

16716.gif

on the 22th of august a fire broke out a few miles away from the palm forest (which is situated in a gorge). the high winds (up to 10 Beaufort) and the incompetence of the Greek state (who received a few million euros to protect the forest but instead preferred to invest it in their own pocket)

So here are the results

post-5120-065931700 1292349768_thumb.jpg

post-5120-015285200 1292349792_thumb.jpg

post-5120-086305200 1292349811_thumb.jpg

post-5120-004383200 1292349819_thumb.jpg

post-5120-035428900 1292349826_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

AHS Heat Zones 8

16716.gif

Some say a few palm survived the fires and will revive.

only time will tell (maybe next summer)

AHS Heat Zones 8

16716.gif

I bet they come back!

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Manolis,

Thanks for posting those shots we had heard there had been a devastating fire on our uk forum but not many pics.

They may, as others suggest, make a comeback but that area is going take many many years before it looks a lush as it did before...

Zone 8b

Central UK

Average min over last 5 years -5.1 C

here in southern california you can see evidence of old fires in native washingtonia groves & they seem to show no more lasting effects than some charred spots on the trunks. :winkie:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Nice pictures. I would bet that a lot of the palms will pull through. Many of the palms here get burned and bounce right back. Since these palms come from rather dry areas it would seem that may have some adaptation to fire.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

The reason I see them coming back is that as a Coryphoid palm, and a subtropical one at that, it has a very protected crown and meristem. If this happened in Borneo, Arecas and Pinangas would be melted in a second. The fire could not burn as hot too, due to the lack of vegetation surrounding it. I have faith in them!

Are they naturally clumping there, or do they just grow really close and away from one another?

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Manolis:

First, it's great that you're keeping an eye on them. Someone obviously needs to. Too bad about the [non] firemen. They appear to be a naturally endangered species.

But, the good part is that Pheonix theos are just the toughest [expletive expletived oedpepal expletives] around. They make Phoenix canariensis look like wussies (almost) by comparison.

I'll bet that the majority not only survive, but new babies will spring up and carpet the ground. In a year or two. Our native washies have incredible resistance to really horrible fires.

Fire can renew, in other words. That said, I don't blame you for feeling sad about the pictures.

Keep us apprized, good or bad.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

There is a larger forest of them in Turkey, which is the only place you find both forms and the area is continuing to expand with many younger plants. It is isolated, so hopefully will remain safe. Hopefully the burnt grove will come back stronger than ever

regards

colin

• Upvote 1

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

There is a larger forest of them in Turkey, which is the only place you find both forms and the area is continuing to expand with many younger plants. It is isolated, so hopefully will remain safe. Hopefully the burnt grove will come back stronger than ever

regards

colin

what do you mean by "both forms" ? do you know where ? ( if you can give me coordinates?)

BTW when i visited Preveli a few years ago there where a few palm who where black.. possibly by a previous fire... not sure it also could be something else...

post-5120-074940600 1292362188_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

AHS Heat Zones 8

16716.gif

Most likely almost all of them will have already made a comeback :) I saw Phoenix canariensis that where burned during the wildfires in Peloponissos and they all,along with the Washies,made a strong comeback right away :)

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

My heart sunk as I started reading, but when I looked at the photos, I was relieved. I think it will regenerate with time.

Michael

Thanks for posting the before and after photos. What a beautiful "before" area to visit. I don't think I saw whether this was the result of natural causes or not. Curious if they know?

It was hard seeing the palms and landscape toasted like this but thankfully nature is pretty amazing at rebounding and the site of new growth is heartening.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

regards

colin

what do you mean by "both forms" ? do you know where ? ( if you can give me coordinates?)

BTW when i visited Preveli a few years ago there where a few palm who where black.. possibly by a previous fire... not sure it also could be something else...

Minoli,

Colin was cruising in a sailboat in the Aegean when he posted this ( he does have the co-ordinates ) :

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=1957&st=0&p=30966&hl=turkey&fromsearch=1&#entry30966

He described the location to me as being "straight across from Rhodes". That could only be the Datca Peninsula location - right around Simi. That area is a little confusing as to what country you're in as Simi is pretty much surrounded by Turkey and there are a couple of little islands and twists and bends to further throw you off.

There are two other locations where Phoenix theophrastii are found in Turkey - one is South of Antalya and the other is near Bodrum.

Regards

Maurice

Lardos, Greece ( Island of Rhodes ) 10B

1.9 km from Mediterannean Sea

Thanks for posting the before and after photos. What a beautiful "before" area to visit. I don't think I saw whether this was the result of natural causes or not. Curious if they know?

It was hard seeing the palms and landscape toasted like this but thankfully nature is pretty amazing at rebounding and the site of new growth is heartening.

Many Greek fires end up to be man-made - it's commonly a method to "free up" land for real estate development. Fortunately the police are very good and finding out who sets them. Unfortunately a lot of lives are lost.

Regardless of the cause of this particular fire, it is a sad fact the Vai population has been set on fire many times - just for "fun". It has bounced back each time but now when you visit Vai Beach, the very beautiful palms are surrounded by quite an ugly chainlink fence.

Regards

Maurice

regards

colin

I'd say that's fire damage.

Little babies get toasted, but adults and large babies don't.

They've been in that spot probably since before there were even people . . . .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hi,growing up in western queensland australia i can remember as a kid, going to visit a homestead on a cattle property that my ancestors settled in the 1900`s.As they had to be self sufficient they had planted a number of fruit trees.To my surprise all that remained after countless bush fires was two date palms and a mullberry tree. regards Craig.

Excellent post and pictures...thanks.

Even our native S. palmetto's come back after forest fires...I also have hope these will regenerate.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

That is pretty sad, but it does appear that many of the palms will survive. The Greek government and EU, far less certain. :unsure:

Martin Farris, San Angelo, TX

San Angelo Cold Hardy Palms and Cycads

Jul - 92F/69F, Jan - 55F/31F

Lows:

02-03: 18F;

03-04: 19F;

04-05: 17F;

05-06: 11F;

06-07: 13F;

07-08: 14F 147.5 Freezing Degree-Hours http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ee+hours\;

08-09: 23F;

09-10: 12F 467.6 Freezing Degree Hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 24.2F;

10-11: 13F 1,059.5 Freezing Degree Hours with Strong Winds/Rain/Snow/Sleet, Average Temperature During Freeze 19.4F;

Record low -4F in 1989 (High of 36F that p.m.) 1,125.2 freezing degree hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.6F;

Record Freeze 1983: 2,300.3 Freezing Degree Hours with a low of 5F, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.7F.

That is pretty sad, but it does appear that many of the palms will survive. The Greek government and EU, far less certain. :unsure:

I have faith in all three.

The palms can take the fires - the Vai beach population is doing just fine despite the many fires in the past.

The Greek spirit is bigger than life.

EU trade agreements cannot be reversed and the Euro has done quite well against the US dollar since introduction.

Regards

Maurice

The reason I see them coming back is that as a Coryphoid palm, and a subtropical one at that, it has a very protected crown and meristem. If this happened in Borneo, Arecas and Pinangas would be melted in a second. The fire could not burn as hot too, due to the lack of vegetation surrounding it. I have faith in them!

Are they naturally clumping there, or do they just grow really close and away from one another?

Had happened in Borneo and Sumatra Indonesia. Some years ago. Forest land clearing thousand of hectares then the government let the palm oil company took over. Many indigenous/endangered species extinct.

Can't believe that this has not been mentioned yet in this thread, considering all the scholars that are surfing this board, but is not the Phoenix a mythical Greek bird that is reborn from its own ashes after being burned. Sounds like it is a part of it's existance to have this happen!

I had never heard of Phoenix theophrastii growing on the mainland of Greece! Its a shame they burn forest there all the time! And the corruption there must be dealed with! Its a scandal!

Alexander

I had never heard of Phoenix theophrastii growing on the mainland of Greece! Its a shame they burn forest there all the time! And the corruption there must be dealed with! Its a scandal!

Alexander

Yes a guy who specializes in phoenix theophrasti found a dozen of specimens hidden in a pine forest in Epidaurus. Phoenix palms can be seen on many ancient Greek potteries.

AHS Heat Zones 8

16716.gif

Can't believe that this has not been mentioned yet in this thread, considering all the scholars that are surfing this board, but is not the Phoenix a mythical Greek bird that is reborn from its own ashes after being burned. Sounds like it is a part of it's existance to have this happen!

you're totally right !

AHS Heat Zones 8

16716.gif

I thought dates liked their head in the fire and feet in the water?

They do controlled burns down at the coast and there are no ill effects to the native palms. I believe those will be fine too. It's still sad to see.

Jeff

North Florida

Hi, Greekpalm [in #4]:

I imagine you fellows that burn off dead fronds have observed some spectacular fires, as have I. I cleaned the fronds off a three-trunked Phoenix canariensis X P. reclinata by a spectacular almost instantaneous fire, was impressed that, unlike post #4, The fronds burned off completely cleanly. There were no parts of fronds left whatsoever!

Best Wishes.

merrill

Thanks for the great pictures. In the summer of 2008 I stumbled upon a couple of acres of burned down Serenoa repens. Only the stems were left. Most already began to produce their first leaf which didn't open yet and the whole area looked like a bunch of giant black snakes with green tongues. Looked kinda cool. When I went back there in the summer of 2010, I couldn't even find which area it was. Two years was enough to recover completely. Hopefully these Phoenix theophrasti would recover just as quickly.

Although, unfortunately, I've never been to Greece or Turkey, but I've seen a lot of pictures. Looks like there is quite a few other Phoenix palms in cultivation - canariensis, dactylifera, sometimes roebelenii. That would be more of a threat to native P. theophrasti population, than any fire.

I have faith in all three.

The palms can take the fires - the Vai beach population is doing just fine despite the many fires in the past.

The Greek spirit is bigger than life.

EU trade agreements cannot be reversed and the Euro has done quite well against the US dollar since introduction.

Regards

Maurice

The Greek Spirit certainly is bigger than life . ..

HOPA

Or however you spell it.

This forest fire is nothing. NOTHING.

Unless you're in it.

that said . . .

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

good news from Crete. Seems like the palm forest of Preveli has recovered itself, like many of you predicted. The regional government took some protection measures, but I think the only important one was the protection from the goats - the rest was nature's work. Not only the Phoenix Theophrastii recovered also all the other plants did so.

I'm very happy about the progress, beause I visited the place in 2001 and 2005 and it is really amazing. Now I know that I can come back again some time...

For those who can read greek, here is a link: http://www.econews.gr/2011/04/01/foinikodasos-preveli-anagennisi/

Greetings from Germany

Janni

Both forms come from one place in a desolate place in turkey

When i heard how rare they are i decided not to publish the co-ordinates as there has been many instances of collectors raping and pillaging remaining area's of many species

Kew knows where they are and it has been used as a collection point to re establish them. Some botanical gardens grow them as part of an international conservation project. The botanical gardens in Gran Canaries has such a project.

regards

colin

regards

colin

post-197-001279100 1301706363_thumb.jpg post-197-074171400 1301706389_thumb.jpg

post-197-047483200 1301706423_thumb.jpg post-197-043254500 1301706458_thumb.jpg

post-197-017932000 1301706572_thumb.jpg

Notice how they grow up the valley and along the rocky beach. It get to 45-59 c her in August and get salt laden 50-60 knot gales in Winter , below 0c

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

HOPA!

TANZEN TANZEN IN DEN AUTOBAHN . . .

Hi everyone,

good news from Crete. Seems like the palm forest of Preveli has recovered itself, like many of you predicted. The regional government took some protection measures, but I think the only important one was the protection from the goats - the rest was nature's work. Not only the Phoenix Theophrastii recovered also all the other plants did so.

I'm very happy about the progress, beause I visited the place in 2001 and 2005 and it is really amazing. Now I know that I can come back again some time...

For those who can read greek, here is a link: http://www.econews.g...eli-anagennisi/

Greetings from Germany

Janni

Thank you Gianni !

AHS Heat Zones 8

16716.gif

AHS Heat Zones 8

16716.gif

• 4 months later...

a few days ago i visited preveli again.. here are the updates 11 months after the fire !

post-5120-072484000 1312469433_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

AHS Heat Zones 8

16716.gif

post-5120-009983100 1312469546_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

AHS Heat Zones 8

16716.gif