Sign in to follow this  
SubTropicRay

Aussie thoughts on Bing Crosby's White Christmas

SubTropicRay

What do the folks down under think of all this white Christmas stuff?  Does the Bing Crosby classic "White Christmas" get much airplay down under during the holidays?  I'm just curious what you may have thought about the song as a child.  I'd much rather have a barbecue at Christmas than sit in front of a fireplace with 10 layers of clothes on to keep warm.  Geographically, 2/3 of the globe does have a warmer Christmas after all.  Yes, I'm a humbug-er.

Ray

spockvr6

Ray-

One of Bing's other Christmas classics would probably be right up your alley (I know it is mine)....."Mele Kaliki Maka".

SubTropicRay

I've heard it and love it Larry LOL.  Too bad that one doesn't get as much airplay.

spockvr6

(Ray, Tampa @ Dec. 27 2006,22:26)

Too bad that one doesn't get as much airplay.

Thats what LimeWire is for :D

Jimmy Buffett also has a newer version of it (which is also very good), but there is something about the Bing Crosby version that I like alot better......likely his classic voice and those female singers doing backup (Andrews Sisters maybe)?.

SubTropicRay

I just got Limewire two weeks ago and love it.

SunnyFl

(Ray @ Tampa,Dec. 27 2006,22:20)

I'd much rather have a barbecue at Christmas than sit in front of a fireplace with 10 layers of clothes on to keep warm.  Geographically, 2/3 of the globe does have a warmer Christmas after all.  Yes, I'm a humbug-er.

Ray

Makes more sense to me, too.  I enjoy the holiday so much more when it's warm and the yard is filled with brilliant red hibiscus and ixora in bloom.  I do not like having to huddle up, feeling like hybernating, and it's too cold to go outside for long.  

We had a Christmas like that - 1989, when it got into the low 20s!!  Didn't feel like doing anything, the power was out, freezing cold - no fun at all!

At least there wasn't any snow.  White Christmas?  Phooey  :P

spockvr6

You might also like "The 12 Hawaiian Days of Christmas" by Pureheart (and other as well).

In summary--

12 televisions

11 missionaries

10 cans of beer

9 pouns of poi

8 ukeleles

7 shrimps a swinning

6 hula lessons

5 big fat pigs

4 flower leis

3 dried squid

2 coconuts

and a mynah bird in one papaya tree

SubTropicRay

I will check that one out, thanks.

Walter John

I can only speak for myself and my wife on Bing's "White Christmas". We play it every year without fail, I tend to play it once or twice then go for some other carols but my wife plays Bing to death every year and forces our sons to run for cover.

Thumbs up for the snow carols, doesn't matter if it's stinking hot here, tradition reigns supreme.

SubTropicRay

Thanks for the input Wal.  It sounds like you and I should trade places?

Walter John

I only trade stamps  :;):