IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What will be the warmest low temp the week of Dec 13th in FL?

cfkingfish

Anyone want to guess who will stay the warmest on the FL mainland this week? This means anything north of Key Largo.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Come to So Cal... I think its gonna be 75F today here...warmer by 10F or so inland... But it won't last I'm sure..

I guess 63F?? :blink:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Seeing that its a NW wind I would guess the area between South Ft.Lauderdale waterfront and North Miami Beach waterfront.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

I should never attempt to post while watching the Dolphins play the Jets. I predicted low 40'sF. and spent time researching similarities to 1962 cold event in Post #135 on Dec. Weather Topic. I have to revise it to 50F. now that I read that the area includes a portion of the Keys. Alot of Keysey territory between Florida City and Key Largo.

What you look for is what is looking

Ill give you a hint - the prediction is 43F according to wunderground.com. Marco Island does stay warm but it doesn't stick out like some of the other islands do into the Gulf. The fact that it is so southerly on the West coast helps it out though.

And it is not coastal Broward or Dade.

Christian Faulkner

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Bubba-

Also, the south coast of Florida in Dade County might have some warm weather of which we never see recordings, because there is no real "town" there. If you drive down Card Sound Road, right at the bride is about 10 houses and Alabama Jack's. I went there with my girlfriend last summer, and they had just closed for the night, at 7pm. I didn't understand why, until I stepped out of the FJ, and was attacked by mosquitoes so bad they would make Chuck Norris cry. It was amazing weather though, about 82 and breezy, great for summer in South Florida.

I could not find one place in Dade County that could beat this 43F temp, and Islandia does not count, I believe it is in Monroe County and it is geographically part of the Keys, where Key Biscayne is not.

Christian Faulkner

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

It is predicted to hit 31 degrees here in Miami beach early Tuesday morning. We are usually a warm spot. If we actually do hit 31 I will hate to see what the rest state bottoms out at. I read somewhere that the island of Palm beach stays warmer because the gulfstream comes closest to the island than any other part of Florida. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that ?

Sanibel Island if the wind stays from the NW About 25mph=:huh: 40 degees I hope so.

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind

It is predicted to hit 31 degrees here in Miami beach early Tuesday morning. We are usually a warm spot. If we actually do hit 31 I will hate to see what the rest state bottoms out at. I read somewhere that the island of Palm beach stays warmer because the gulfstream comes closest to the island than any other part of Florida. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that ?

would that not tie a record there?

Brevard County, Fl

I live in mid palm beach county. My projected low according to the NWS is 25deg. If this forecast comes true, a large part of my garden will be destroyed or severely damaged tonight. I think I'll take lots of pictures today. :(

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Steve is right. Sanibel will not get up to temps that areas like Broward or Dade might, but it sticks so far out in the Gulf, it gets a warming effect similar to that of Saint Pete. Tonight, my guesses of where will stay above 32F:

-The Keys

-Marco/Sanibel/Pine Island/Boca Grande/Anna Maria, and southern half of Pinellas. Tampa Bay has enough of a warm charge to ameliorate the temps there still. Last year the charge was finally lost after the temps on the water went down.

-Downtown Miami/Miami Beach

-Coastal Ft. Lauderdale and the beach there. So much water runs through the canals, it is hard to drop temps there.

-Possibly the immediate south shore of Lake Okeechobee near South Bay and Belle Glade. It seems that massive levee is enough to keep the coldest temps away, and there are a few banana farms.

Some urban areas may stay above 32 in very small blocks of heat. Downtown Naples, Fort Myers, Venice, Sarasota, Punta Gorda and Bradenton all fared very well last year.

Christian Faulkner

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

would that not tie a record there?

Yes it would tie a record ! I hope is doesnt come true. The only good news is that it is supposed be windy. That will help prevent frost damage.

As of yesterday the low for St George Island was only 36 (last weeks cold) and I was out there and all the banana trees had not seen a frost. The wind was blowing hard over the 3 miles or more of gulf water though from the NW. tonight we will see how warm it stays, last year the low was 30 or 31 I believe. a zone 10A when the rest of the panhandle had 8a and 8b temps. an amazing micro climate for this part of the state.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

The low last night here was 52F/ 11.1C with a high of only 56F at Lat. 47. We had are first pineapple express of the year which the lows go into the low to high 50's for a short time then its back to the 30's and 40's low temps for the PNW.

Looks awful cold down in FL, but it should be short lived I hope. Janurary 7th is when the average high starts to go up here about every 7-10 days. Come on 2011!

Good luck to you guys!!

Edited by Palm crazy

I should never attempt to post while watching the Dolphins play the Jets. I predicted low 40'sF. and spent time researching similarities to 1962 cold event in Post #135 on Dec. Weather Topic. I have to revise it to 50F. now that I read that the area includes a portion of the Keys. Alot of Keysey territory between Florida City and Key Largo.

Bubba,

I personally cannot believe that you were on the COMPUTER when our boys were playing!!!!!

Man,,,what a screwed up game but we won!! I turn off my phone AND computer!!

Good luck w/ our cold blast, it's gonna be a doozie!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

St. Pete has a mere freeze warning (expected to hit 34) while most everyone else is expected to hard-freeze. Impressive.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Christian, Are you going to come clean about your secret spot? I could find nothing in Monroe County North of the Keys that fit your criteria. I did see a few spots on the lower island side of the Gulf that appeared to hold up well.

Alabama Jacks is a great spot.It is South Florida's zen version of Nepenthes.

What you look for is what is looking

St. Pete has a mere freeze warning (expected to hit 34) while most everyone else is expected to hard-freeze. Impressive.

I just checked the official station for St Petersburg (KSPG) and they logged a low of 39F this AM.

Tampa AP however did log 32F, and the Clearwater AP logged 35F.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Bubba, Captiva Island had the highest low forecasted outside of Monroe County. Because it is still early in the season, the water is relatively warm for the shallow Gulf. It is one of the most isolated inhabited islands in Florida, as it sits way out there about 4 miles West of Pine Island, and a good 20 miles as the crow flies from Fort Myers. It can take a hit from all sides and keep its maritime microclimate. Other close seconds are Anna Maria (doesn't get warm enough during the day), Sanibel, Cape Canaveral, and Tierra Verde in St. Pete. If it stays chilly though, the "charge" of warmth that the shallow Gulf and bay areas have will go away, and it will not moderate. This happened earlier this year in St. Pete - it hit 28F in a lot of areas at the end of the cold spell.

Christian Faulkner

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Hey! My Parents live in Tierra Verde!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bubba, Captiva Island had the highest low forecasted outside of Monroe County. Because it is still early in the season, the water is relatively warm for the shallow Gulf. It is one of the most isolated inhabited islands in Florida, as it sits way out there about 4 miles West of Pine Island, and a good 20 miles as the crow flies from Fort Myers. It can take a hit from all sides and keep its maritime microclimate. Other close seconds are Anna Maria (doesn't get warm enough during the day), Sanibel, Cape Canaveral, and Tierra Verde in St. Pete. If it stays chilly though, the "charge" of warmth that the shallow Gulf and bay areas have will go away, and it will not moderate. This happened earlier this year in St. Pete - it hit 28F in a lot of areas at the end of the cold spell.

I've definitely noticed a difference in the amount of protection i receive from the river / ocean (Melbourne Beach / Indialantic) in December when compared to late January / February. Last winter, my lows during that late December early January cold spell, were about 3 degrees warmer than mainland Melbourne. Later in January / February, i was probably only getting 1.5 degrees of added warmth. This added protection is the good part of living on a barrier island, but the downfall is we dont receive nearly as much rainfall. When the seabreeze pattern sets up during the summer, i can sometimes go 3 or 4 weeks with no rain. I can see it pouring 20 miles to the west, but the seabreeze keeps me bone dry.

Maybe you folks down there in Florida should ask Fidel Castro if he will send some warm weather from Cuba!

Aire de Cuba or la muerte!

Alexander