Sign in to follow this  
Jimbean

climate zone changes?

Jimbean

I was talking to a plant nursery owner today and he told me that all of the climate zones were moved further north as of about two weeks ago.  So I looked it up and sure enough my once 9a/9b officail climate is now 10a.

http://arborday.org/media/Zones.cfm

Do they just don't expect a major freeze to happen here agian or what?

NBTX11

Those are averages.  You can be a zone 10a and still experience severe freezes.  The zones are nothing but averages over a 15 year period.

For example, if one year you had a 25 degree temp, and another a 35 degree temp., then your average over that time span is 30, zone 10a, even though you had a subfreezing temperature.

SubTropicRay

Hi Jim,

In the last 17 years, I've been below 30F twice (Feb 1996 and Jan 2003).  I would say a change to zone 10a classifcation is justified for my area of peninsular Tampa.  On the flip side, my mothers plants in northern, inland Tampa get damaged almost yearly.  A few miles can make all the difference.

Ray

Exotic Life

I have a little qouestion about this, does somebody know if the USDA Zones for Europa also have changed ? Does somebody have a map for me ?

Robbin

Jimbean

I don't know, that to me is just the weirdest dang thing; I did not think I would ever see them putting us (Brevard county) back in z10.

Jimbean

If they would keep the same boundries, with it going right up along the coast to cape canaveral, and a heat island in Orlando, but only have those areas as 9b instead of 10a and have the outlining areas as 9a.

SubTropicRay

Jim,

The map, at least in our neck of the woods, is definitely flawed.  Take it with a grain of salt.

Happy New Year,

Ray

BobbyinNY

This is the first time that, since 1876, we haven't had even a trace of snow anywhere yet..   If it doesn't get any colder than the 20f we had on december 3rd, we'd be considered a 9a for this winter... very strange.