IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is anyone missing a Jubaea in California?

David N.TX.

Martin, I heard different from my fiend Ashton. But to be fair, I was not their personally. I still know for a fact you got a great deal. If you had to do it over I doubt you would find 7 mature plants and get them all for $218.75/ft. The 35 foot one is a bad example because it is too tall for homeowners and most commercial places. They want to see the crown when they pull up, not look up 35 feet and barely see fronds. Same thing with CIPDs here. Price drops big time when you get too tall. They are less desirable for other reasons too. Another important point is the fact many of the trees sold cheap had to go fast. This limits what a homeowner can get too. If you have time, you will get a much better price.

For those sitting on a mature Jub in their yard and are looking to sell, you should contact a few of the big palm tree places. Here in North County there are a few. You let them know you have a tree and you will sell it and give them a price. Once someone finds a buyer it is an 'easy' dig and move. This is how I got most my trees back in the day. I did not get ripped off paying nursery prices, the homeowner received a great price and I had the ability to buy before someone else so I could grab pick of the litter so to speak.

While Martin is correct some of these trees go for the price he heard about, I can tell you for a fact many more do not and the homeowner does MUCH better. Just ask my neighbor :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

That sounds like a challenge Len, but since I really don't need 7 more I think I'll take a pass even though I enjoy a good challenge probably much more than the next guy. :winkie: I'd be all over a big one like the one in this thread, but this is Texas... :mrlooney:

Not sure what Ashton's problem is. Maybe a case of nonbuyer's remorse?

Martin Farris, San Angelo, TX

San Angelo Cold Hardy Palms and Cycads

Jul - 92F/69F, Jan - 55F/31F

Lows:

02-03: 18F;

03-04: 19F;

04-05: 17F;

05-06: 11F;

06-07: 13F;

07-08: 14F 147.5 Freezing Degree-Hours http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ee+hours\;

08-09: 23F;

09-10: 12F 467.6 Freezing Degree Hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 24.2F;

10-11: 13F 1,059.5 Freezing Degree Hours with Strong Winds/Rain/Snow/Sleet, Average Temperature During Freeze 19.4F;

Record low -4F in 1989 (High of 36F that p.m.) 1,125.2 freezing degree hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.6F;

Record Freeze 1983: 2,300.3 Freezing Degree Hours with a low of 5F, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.7F.

You sound like me with challenges. You should see this monster Dragon Tree I moved that people said would not move :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

You sound like me with challenges. You should see this monster Dragon Tree I moved that people said would not move :)

All it takes is the words, "it can't be done" and I'm all over it. Thank God my wife hasn't figured that one out yet. :lol: I'm pretty sure the posts on here about how impossible it was to find large Jubaeas and how expensive they would be to buy in large part explains why I bought 7 of them in the first place. The comments about how they wouldn't survive here probably explains the rest.

Post a photo of the Dragon Tree or PM it to me. Guessing there are a bunch of people who avoid the topic now? :rolleyes:

Lows:

07-08: 14F 147.5 Freezing Degree-Hours http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ee+hours\;

09-10: 12F 467.6 Freezing Degree Hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 24.2F;

10-11: 13F 1,059.5 Freezing Degree Hours with Strong Winds/Rain/Snow/Sleet, Average Temperature During Freeze 19.4F;

Record low -4F in 1989 (High of 36F that p.m.) 1,125.2 freezing degree hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.6F;

Record Freeze 1983: 2,300.3 Freezing Degree Hours with a low of 5F, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.7F.

Martin, here is a post from a while back:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=21489&view=findpost&p=358672

It took me 6 days to move. I had guys build an entire wood frame to lock the limbs in place (took 5 days). I then craned it out of some guys yard, semi trucked it to our developments gate (tree would not fit through), had a crane lift it over, then drove the semi through, loaded it back up and finally got it to my back yard. After we tore down the wood structure I was amazed not a single limb broke! It is still my favorite plant in my garden. Ever since I was a kid and saw a picture in some encyclopedia I dreamed of owning one. Once I moved to Cali and found out they grow here I was stoked.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Something tells me that beautiful palm is gonna end up frozen.

Auburn's winter record lows are much warmer than Dallas.

Oranges grows in Auburn.... dont think they do well in Dallas?

Jubaeas are growing in a lot colder places than Dallas. I've heard of them surviving below 0F, and I know for a fact they will take 12F with no damage whatsoever, at least mine have. There are a couple that survived in El Paso through many single digit lows with no damage as far as I can tell.

Hmmm? Hopefully you are right. Someone made a very large investment.... or gambled.

One other thing comes to mind is.... Is there other large old Jubaeas in Dallas area?

If not.... theres a good reason.

I wouldnt know how someone would even protect such a nice palm is the temp slips to near zero and the soil is frozen soilid.

It would be like me trying to grow coconuts in Central California.

Jeff

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Martin, here is a post from a while back:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=21489&view=findpost&p=358672

It took me 6 days to move. I had guys build an entire wood frame to lock the limbs in place (took 5 days). I then craned it out of some guys yard, semi trucked it to our developments gate (tree would not fit through), had a crane lift it over, then drove the semi through, loaded it back up and finally got it to my back yard. After we tore down the wood structure I was amazed not a single limb broke! It is still my favorite plant in my garden. Ever since I was a kid and saw a picture in some encyclopedia I dreamed of owning one. Once I moved to Cali and found out they grow here I was stoked.

That it is cool! :drool: And they said it couldn't be done. That would be a good topic for a thread.

Lows:

Jubaeas are growing in a lot colder places than Dallas. I've heard of them surviving below 0F, and I know for a fact they will take 12F with no damage whatsoever, at least mine have. There are a couple that survived in El Paso through many single digit lows with no damage as far as I can tell.

Hmmm? Hopefully you are right. Someone made a very large investment.... or gambled.

One other thing comes to mind is.... Is there other large old Jubaeas in Dallas area?

If not.... theres a good reason.

I wouldnt know how someone would even protect such a nice palm is the temp slips to near zero and the soil is frozen soilid.

It would be like me trying to grow coconuts in Central California.

Jeff

The good reason there aren't others is probably the fact that you can't just walk in to a nursery and buy a trunking Jubaea, and even small ones aren't available in Texas nurseries for the most part until recently.

Even during the worst freezes in TX the ground doesn't freeze very deeply if at all. Last winter I had a bunch of stuff in 30 and 45 gallon containers, and they didn't even freeze sitting completely exposed on my driveway. The freeze last winter was a once a decade type event. They say 1989 was a 500-year freeze for my area.

Lows:

• 1 month later...

How did this Jubaea do with the cold this winter?

Anyone got pics?

Jeff

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Anyone got pics?

Jeff

Tony posted photos on this thread http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=27228 It doesn't look damaged, but mine didn't either at the time. Now the newest fronds in the center on my largest ones have dried up. Older fronds are fine. It appears to be the same damage my Butias sustained. I suspect the damage is from the combination of wind and cold. Both the Jubaeas and Butias appear to have lost the last 6 months worth of fronds. Haven't climbed up to check the Jubaeas, but the Butia fronds that look the same are still good and tight. I'm optimistic they will all recover this spring. This damage was limited to the larger trees. The smaller Jubaeas and Butias did not have this type of damage, however, the spears have now pulled on the smaller Butias. Before they pulled the spears still looked fine, but came right out with little effort. That's pretty normal for Butias that size out here, and happens every winter. They bounce right back from it normally, but the first few fronds are deformed.

Lows:

Anyone got pics?

Jeff

Jeff, I can't speak for Martin, but my Jub has been in the ground for the past two bad winters. They never flinched. No leaf discoloration. No weird fronds. No pulled spears. I believe more and more that these things are close to bullet proof from the I-20 corridor southward.

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

Anyone got pics?

Jeff

Jeff, I can't speak for Martin, but my Jub has been in the ground for the past two bad winters. They never flinched. No leaf discoloration. No weird fronds. No pulled spears. I believe more and more that these things are close to bullet proof from the I-20 corridor southward.

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

Jeff, also, my Satsuma Mandarines keep producing fabulous fruit each year.

Anyone got pics?

Jeff

I suspect every Jubaea N of a line from Texarkana to DFW to San Angelo to Odessa was damaged this year. I just got done pulling over 100 spears from every Jubaea 15 gallon size or smaller in the nursery. My largest ones clearly lost all their newest fronds, probably set them back a year on growing new heads. Oddly the one I planted from a 24" box a couple of months ago has only minor bronzing, but it's near the river with lots of large mesquites and pecans to the NE, so probably didn't get near as much wind as the ones around the house and in the nursery. The 3 in back with 8'-10' of trunk still look pretty good. The one in my avatar looks the best. I see no real damage to it so far, but the other two are to the NE of it, so may have provided it some protection from the wind. The first one in that line looks to have some damage to the newest fronds just like the larger ones in the front.

The champion for cold hardiness (counting only palms that grow into trees, no S. Minor, Needle Palm, etc.) appears to be Brahea armata. Even the small ones in the nursery appear undamaged or lightly damaged. They are even putting the W. filiferas to shame. All the filiferas appear to be defoliated.

• Like 1

Lows:

My small jubs didn't get hurt from this long cold spell (coldest in the 20 yrs I've been here). Only had a low of 20 (on two nights) but had a lot of damage to my phoenix dacty's, wash filifera and sagos, each of these are totally defoliated, filifera being the exception with only 90% leaf burn. My hybrids (BxS, JxB, BxJxJ, JxBxJ) all took the weather with no damage at all.

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

I suspect every Jubaea N of a line from Texarkana to DFW to San Angelo to Odessa was damaged this year.

My big Jubaea is absolutely unscaffed. We've had 3 significant frozen precipitation events with wild ass temperature swings. Overall, more stressful than last year. The majority of all of my palms have pulled spears and frond damage to differing degrees, but this Jub is untouched. My ultimate low showed only 17.5F; however, I have 30 feet of elevation change on my two acres and the vast majority of all of my palms are well below the weather station. The nastiest night was a radiational event that was preceded by a wet, snowy, windy day in the mid-20s. This matches with your assertion.

post-60-099311900 1297647943_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 9 years later...
On 12/6/2010 at 5:26 PM, David N.TX. said:

One of our local palmnuts noticed this new planting at the Dallas World Aquarium. Where could have they found such a palm? Also, it appears to be one of the bluish ones. What do you think?

DSCF0553.jpg

Still growing strong in 2020!

image.thumb.png.6707501e73c97aeca4dadf64501365c9.png

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7831973,-96.8058486,3a,75y,55.81h,104.94t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sRC1y97B-0sqm5AGLhIKkiA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Edited by PalmsUSA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PalmsUSA said:

Still growing strong in 2020!

It's still alive, I wouldn't say it's growing strong though...must be taking a while to recover from some severe winter temps from 3-4 winters ago.

Jon Sunder

Yikes! That thing is on the way out. That's too bad given it's likely 100+ years old. I wonder what the damage is near the base of the trunk. Looks like it has a blow-out on the trunk. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

Yikes! That thing is on the way out. That's too bad given it's likely 100+ years old. I wonder what the damage is near the base of the trunk. Looks like it has a blow-out on the trunk. 

I agree.  Didn't have a fighting chance IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Josue Diaz said:

I thought that might be trunk damage too but then thought maybe it's just something leaning up against the palm.  Butias nearby look good though!

Jon Sunder

26 minutes ago, Fusca said:

It's still alive, I wouldn't say it's growing strong though...must be taking a while to recover from some severe winter temps from 3-4 winters ago.

Yeah, the crown looks less full and it does look like it has suffered, but I am just surprised it is still alive.

Edited by PalmsUSA
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

I agree.  Didn't have a fighting chance IMO.

Yeah, it is a beautiful old palm and I hope it pulls through.

20 minutes ago, Fusca said:

I thought that might be trunk damage too but then thought maybe it's just something leaning up against the palm.  Butias nearby look good though!

Yeah, the area around the Aquarium has a lot of gorgeous Butia.

Edited by PalmsUSA

That's sad. I think these would stand a chance in Dallas in an extremely protected microclimate, like near the south side of a tall building. There are some old ones in Italy that have seen severe cold with similar protection. This one was too exposed.

Im surprised that its lasted this long.  Shame that such a beautiful old tree had to be ripped from the ground and moved, Especially to a climate that is even less suitable for it.   I hope it makes it, but I kind of get the feeling it is probably not long for this world.  shame.

On 12/10/2020 at 12:32 PM, PalmsUSA said:

Am I the only one surprised to see it looking that bad? The siting looks favorable within what's already an 8B zone.

I’ll see what it looks like when I’m there in a few weeks.  That streetview pic is from Feb of this year.  Dallas had a lot of rain this year and a good growing season. I imagine it sustained some stress or fractures from being hoisted, placed on a flatbed for +1,700 miles and then hoisted again. It was planted in 2010 and then endured the cold blast of Feb 2011- coldest since 1989 for N TX. The summer of 2011 was the hottest with 71 days exceeding 100*.  It is often over trimmed.  It’s been through a lot. 

44 minutes ago, Advective said:

Am I the only one surprised to see it looking that bad? The siting looks favorable within what's already an 8B zone.

Yeah, it does look rather poor, but honestly I am just surprised it made it this long. It must not have liked the fact that it went from a favorable location to a much worse climate for Jubaea. On February 2, 2011, Dallas reached 14 degrees Fahrenheit, and that must have been really rough for that palm. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

What temperature did this area of Dallas see during the most recent freeze?  I'm four hours to the east in northeast Louisiana with a 12' Jubaea in ground planted from a 3 gallon in 2007, and the freeze was disastrous here as well.  I've seen anywhere from -2F to 2F reported for Dallas, and 1F to 2F for Shreveport.  The only reason we didn't hit single digits as well is that the cloud cover stayed longer than predicted-- which is why we hit 16F instead of 2F.  Still, the duration of the cold (144 hours below freezing) may be the bigger problem no matter the absolute low.  But then again I think by far the biggest challenge for this aquarium palm is the narrow cutout in the concrete jungle it was planted into.  Even in ideal planting conditions and climate, there is no guarantee large transplants will thrive.  Plant a few inches too low and it never will.  I have a couple examples in my yard growing next to pot planted counterparts that prove that point very well.

Tony-- Even though maybe I shouldn't be, I am surprised your Jubaea so thoroughly burned in a wind-protected, location.  And while you had quite a few more hours below freezing, I had enough (with a high temperature of 22F) one day, to show that maybe the absolute low is the bigger issue than the hours.  I snapped the photo below of mine tonight, and it is green as of now.  It also stayed largely green when we saw 7F a few years back that included brutal wind but only one daytime high below freezing.  It is in a very exposed location, but not in an open field either.

This is the first freeze I protected my Jubaea.  I chose a 20 minute method, wrapping the clear portion of the trunk with mini-christmas lights and plastic-covered R13 fiberglass insulation.   I was hoping to at least protect the bud from dying in the event we hit the forecasted low single digits.  What temp do you think the Jubaea at the Dallas aquarium saw?  How did your Brahea armata do?  My three large armatas have had the foliage burned off by cold a few times over the last 15 years.

Jubaea 2-22-2021.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TonyDFW said:

Got down to 3F in my garden 220 hours below freezing  here is my Jubea after the dead fronds were removed 

2E8DB276-1244-43EC-B552-ED15717DFE20.jpeg

Oh man.

Ive nothing else to say.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

If heating cables not installed by the palmnut Aquarium, then that's on THEM! I cannot imagine that some sort of heating/wrapping was not done!

It's amazing, I drove just down to check on momma Jubaea right before this massive freeze last week. Glad I did but even at night, in the dark old gal 

looked sorta pathetic. Lousy crown of stunted leaves ( and last couple winters extremely mild, barely going below freezing) so anyway- fingers crossed when 

I get down there again she'll be okay. Glad I found this thread, as I had wanted to know the back story on this. Hell, even my profile pic is from dere- nice bottle palm

they had in "mild season" display just down from the Jubaea (since replaced w/Butia).  Anyway this is a great chronological account of amazing palm habitats

such as here in Texas and other weird palm places so cold sometimes!

PS- rode my bike first time yesterday in the bizarrely warm late Feb day (near 75*! Week before 11*) and noted many many sick looking- cold shocked plants! Japanese Privets are

scorched all over and hopefully outright killed! I hate this pesky intruder that has seeded everywhere in huge stands in our local forests from prolific seeds. Most will resprout but one can

always hope. Golden bamboos- scorched like fires had ravaged but again- hate these self-spreading plant invaders-from-hell! Die bitches, die!

You guys that missed this Siberian express are indeed lucky! Gawd be with us intrepid Texas palm nuts!

15 hours ago, TonyDFW said:

Got down to 3F in my garden 220 hours below freezing  here is my Jubea after the dead fronds were removed 

2E8DB276-1244-43EC-B552-ED15717DFE20.jpeg

Do you have photos of the rest of the garden?  I have been anxiously awaiting a post from you!

• 1 year later...
23 minutes ago, jgi27 said:

Check the newest 2022 streetview coverage... palm is gone. Those pictures are from February 2021, possibly days before the big freeze. Shame to see such an old tree planted there, only to slowly decline and then be frozen solid. 

Wow you're right. So sad... What kind of palm trees did they replace it with? Looks like Pygmy Date Palm with palmate leaves(?)