IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What are you covering?

cfkingfish

I was curious what everyone was covering this fine week of lovely temperatures in Florida and the East Coast. Last year I spent a lot of time doing this, this year, not so much. Here is what I have covered:

Borassus - because it is low to the ground, frost gets it and it never gets to grow in my coldest area.

Gaussia gomez-pompae

Tahinas - again, hardy but low to the ground

tropical Encephalartos

Orania palindan and ravaka

Things I am not covering:

P. pacifica and woodfordii - if they die, so be it. Tired of being burnt back

Raphia farinifera

C. fallaensis

Bottle/Spindles

Veitchias

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

I don't cuddle the weak. Some of my stuff barely had a chance to come back after last winter and the subsequent dry spell. If it is a another cold season, then their luck is not on their side.

Brevard County, Fl

Most of my palms are too big and they made it through last winter. I covered my herb garden and that was it.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

I plan to cover nothing at all. What ever dies will be replaced with stuff that can handle this kind of weather. Luckily most of my stuff has been through this kind of cold already and lived so I don't expect huge losses. The only sad thing will be that I will probably lose my 10' Verschaffeltia since its clear from January's cold that they can't handle 32deg. This one for some reason came through undamaged but the other 5 all died. I do bring in all the potted stuff.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

I am covering no palms. Wishing them luck, moved some up by the house. Brought in some small salacca. Covered my jakfruit, mango and miracle fruit. Brought in magosteen. That is it.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Our lows are forecast to be 25 to 23 (last I checked)

I covered my small palms that are especially important to me:

Parajubaea sunkha

Dypsis decipiens

Chuniophoenix nana

Kerriodoxa (heat lamp also)

Chambeyronia (heat lamp also)

I also covered my small hybrids, not because I thought they would die but because I was hoping that if I kept them warm enough they might continue to grow.

Non palms I covered were my Australian tree fern (covered in old xmas lights), Nun orchid, and new "fantastic" avocado tree.

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Good luck..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I have Christmas lights (icicle lights) and sheets wrapped around the upper trunk and spear of 5 Bizmarkia in the ground. No protection for the fronds. Also did the same for 1 R.rivularis and 2 queens and 1 Dioon spinilosum. Covered a few stumps of Plumeria's around (cut stems are inside)to see if they might come back from the roots or stub. Also covered one Queen Anne Crinum? and a few geraniums. Everything in pots is either inside already or were put into heated or non-heated coldframes. Everything else is on its own....for now. Winds are too high for sheets to be effective. I did cover my new purchase....a Ombu Tree "Bella Sombra" and may move it to a heated area if the freezing weather dips lower than 25 degrees.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Last night I covered:

Areca catechu dwarf - will protect at all cost

Areca catechu semi-dwarf - as long as it stays short

Areca trianda, vestiarias - because they are still tiny

Gaussia attenuata, g-p, princep - still small

Heterospathe glauca - ditto

Hydriastele negrosensis - ditto

Ravenea dransfieldii, hildebrandtii, louvellii - ditto

Everything else in the ground is either coldhardy or too big and must fend for itself. I moved the rarer potted Pinangas, Arecas etc. indoors to join the Cyrtostachys.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I covered my tomatoes, no more palm protection. Like Ron what can't take the cold gets replaced with hardier stock. It's quite clear the winters are getting colder not warmer. Plenty of frost in the yard this morning, it's only Dec 7th, yuck.

Edited by redant

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

I didn't cover anything this time. The few I protected last year perished anyway. New motto "only the strong survive".

Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

I left the South Florida Palm Society Holiday Party at Fairchild last night and got home at 11:40 pm. It was 50 F. This morning at 6:00 am I was at 45 F. At 10:30 am, temps were up to 57 F. I dodged the bullet, but for how long ... :blink:

Roscheria and Nephrosperma in the ground survived last year. I don't believe they will have the resolve to survive this winter. :angry:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I've spent multiple decades protecting plants, and gave it up a few years ago...at least my own...

.......no winner here, i still have to do it at work. :(

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Last year I spent a good portion wrapping and moving plants but after a while, it got to be too much. I realized I was only winning for the short term. Once the plants got large enough, there was no way to protect them. So, I got fed up and let everything out to fend for themselve. If it died it died. I lost a few things and after my mourning of brown fried plants passed, I was pleasantly surprised. Even the 5 gal coconut seedling from Jeff in Costa Rica pulled through.

Most things came back just fine but it took 3-4mths. Granted, I am still looking at last winter's damage on some of the larger palms but for the most part, things lived & flourished.

If this year proves to be the same, then so be it. If I have to stress so much every winter, then they are not worth growing. I will have to learn to make better choices if this is our 'new' winter to expect. I have about 25 palm seedlings, 1 gal to 10 gal in my greenhouse. I may be having a fire sale before next winter LOL. My heart and soul wants to make my yard look like Bali, Ma Nature is reminding me that I don't. I should travel more to exotic places. St Pete ain't it.

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Be happy about the palms you can plant, not sad about the ones you can't.

Great advice!

You mean the glass is half full.........In the case of FL more like 75% full :-)

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Last year I spent a good portion wrapping and moving plants but after a while, it got to be too much. I realized I was only winning for the short term. Once the plants got large enough, there was no way to protect them. So, I got fed up and let everything out to fend for themselve. If it died it died. I lost a few things and after my mourning of brown fried plants passed, I was pleasantly surprised. Even the 5 gal coconut seedling from Jeff in Costa Rica pulled through.

Most things came back just fine but it took 3-4mths. Granted, I am still looking at last winter's damage on some of the larger palms but for the most part, things lived & flourished.

If this year proves to be the same, then so be it. If I have to stress so much every winter, then they are not worth growing. I will have to learn to make better choices if this is our 'new' winter to expect. I have about 25 palm seedlings, 1 gal to 10 gal in my greenhouse. I may be having a fire sale before next winter LOL. My heart and soul wants to make my yard look like Bali, Ma Nature is reminding me that I don't. I should travel more to exotic places. St Pete ain't it.

I am in this camp solidly!

A number of years ago I littered these forums with photos of my "palm socks" and various other protective measures (which really werent necessary anyway with all those relatvely warm winters we were having). This protection stuff is all fine, but it only works for smaller palms. When something is 25 ft tall, its gotta make it on its own. Luckily, that is the stage my yard is in now, so its all gotta ride it out on its own.

Larry 

It's quite clear the winters are getting colder not warmer.

You know.....Ive been at my house now for 10 years and I think I had more nights in the 30's last winter than the previous years combined!

Larry 

I'm sure you Floridians don't want to hear from a crazy Okie, but everything save the needle palms and dwarf palmettos are covered. We're getting down to the low 20s oF regularly now, but at least above freezing each afternoon.

Terdal Farm, Tulsa OK, USA http://www.terdalfarm.com/

This palm suffered pretty heavily in Jan 2010...

DSC03360.jpg

then recovered.

DSC03470.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

I don't want to lose the leaves again, so I built this little cage:

DSC00577.jpg

DSC00578.jpg

DSC00580.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

These are the groups 0 and 1 tenders. They get protected below 45°F.

DSC00582.jpg

But for a freeze most of the potted collection went back in. Several Dypsis, Ptychospermas, Adonidia, Lytocaryum, and flowering trees stayed just outside but under a roof.

DSC00588.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

It's good to protect what you can until the palm attains some size. Many palms can handle a freeze much better with decent size but require some help to get there. I slacked off last year and the garden got blasted. After being in a funk for 11 months for not doing more last year, I can assure you this year will be different. Mother nature is a real bitch but she's met her match this year. Bring it baby!

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Good to hear that Ray!!

Randy, show us how your Dypsis prestoniana fares...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Adonidia and Joey are the only two palms I've been covering. Most palms I haven't planted yet have been moved inside.

Alex...is that a hint of snarkiness I detect in your post? ;)

I treat potted stuff alot different then in ground plants. After losing a large 35gal. bizzy in the pot last year I realized that root temperature is pretty important for survivability. If it is in a pot...it gets protection....in the ground maybe none.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Hey Guys,

Hope everyone is doing well. Been a long time since I've been on here. I feel for everyone down in Florida with this ridiculous cold that's coming. FYI, I didn't send my massive 22ft queen palm to the greenhouse this year for protection - just too big and heavy to transport anymore. It's been doing great - temps only down to 22 so far for a low and it's still completely green - I can't believe it. Hey Ray... Long time, no chat - Hope everything is well.

Bobby

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Wow, I just checked NOAA and it has been updated for mid 20s for Orlando. Even Miami will be getting close to freezing. That sucks. Parts of Southern Cali are getting close to 90 today, I guess you need to go west if you want to warm up:) haha

Hey Guys,

Hope everyone is doing well. Been a long time since I've been on here. I feel for everyone down in Florida with this ridiculous cold that's coming. FYI, I didn't send my massive 22ft queen palm to the greenhouse this year for protection - just too big and heavy to transport anymore. It's been doing great - temps only down to 22 so far for a low and it's still completely green - I can't believe it. Hey Ray... Long time, no chat - Hope everything is well.

Bobby

HELLO BOBBY!

Alex...is that a hint of snarkiness I detect in your post? ;)

I treat potted stuff alot different then in ground plants. After losing a large 35gal. bizzy in the pot last year I realized that root temperature is pretty important for survivability. If it is in a pot...it gets protection....in the ground maybe none.

Hey David, I just picked up 5 palms at the CFPACS meeting last weekend. Plus I have a metallica and two bottles that are waiting to be planted. The bottles are in 15gal containers and are 6' tall so it's hard to move them back and forth and they'll probably spend the rest of the winter right outside the front door where I close the hurricane gate on cold nights and let some warm air out from inside the house.

Hey Guys,

Bobby

HELLO BOBBY!

Aww... Hey BS MAN... How's everything? Hope everything is good out in SoCal.... Not too cold here (yet) .. Only 50f tonight... going back to the more "seasonable" 40's tomorrow though

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Well I am from a cold dark latitude anyway, 52 degrees latitude north is not nice in winter!We had -10C/25F last week here!

Maybe you should protect all that tender stuff with a polytunnel! Warms up during the day there and keeps the plants frostfree I guess.

Alexander

• 2 years later...

Hey Bobby, I was super ready this year but turns out I didn't need to cover anything. First year here in Orlando that didn't freeze since I've been living here. Crossing fingers here... until the end of the month. How are you doing?!

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes