IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Strong, Potentially Damaging California Wind

happ

A quick moving storm will move into SoCal tomorrow after dumping heavy rainfall in NoCal [e.g. Crescent City: 5" in 24 hrs].  

As usual the core of the storm will stay to the north of SoCal but brief heavy rainfall is possible for a few hours overnight   :P   What follows, however, will be a period of very strong wind.   :(    

AccuWeather - Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Strong, Potentially Damaging California Wind

The storm dropping south through California Tuesday night and early Wednesday will be followed by a strong, locally damaging wind event Wednesday afternoon through Thursday.

Winds first occur along the Central Coast anytime Wednesday with speeds expected in the 20 to 40 mph range. These winds progress south to the southern California coast, mountains and upper deserts later in the morning and afternoon. In the mountains from Santa Barbara and Ventura County on east into San Bernardino County, and the upper deserts from the Antelope Valley to Apple Valley and to Yucca Valley winds by afternoon are in the 30 to 60 mph range with gusts to 75. A really wind spot like Mojave could see some of the strongest winds, also Edwards Air Base. These winds are going to cause local damage along with blowing sand and dust.

But windy weather is not going to be limited to those places. Even from the LA Basin south to San Diego County the afternoon is going to turn out very windy with winds of 20 to 40 mph. Again, that is strong enough to cause some local damage.

Though winds taper off in the Basin of Los Angeles County Wednesday night, they continue strong in the mountains and below passes and canyons right on through Thursday. These winds will be in the more typical Santa Ana wind locations but still blow at 30 to 60 mph with gusts to 75 mph.

All in all, some very windy weather the next couple of days. With the chillier temperatures expected along with the wind, it is going to feel downright cold by southern California standards.

LA : 72/57

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Well the winds are here!  My neighbors carport just about blew away and his parrot enclosures are being torn to shreads.  

"Washy blowin' in the wind"  It was leaning over real far but I just couldn't capture it w/ the delay on my stupid camera.  Notice the flags below.  Go Chargers!

post-126-1167251432_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Washy seed dispersal

post-126-1167251449_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

ahhhhh, a break

post-126-1167251467_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

The winds blew over 2 20g Kentias in my backyard, one almost landed on my favorite palm, a stout 15g dypsis saintelucei.  Go away winds!!!

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

Oh yes....it is blowing hard. Lost a frond on a veitchia. Shredded some giant BOP and bananas. Happy about the rain though.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

A bit spooky driving home with all the washies whipping around.  Lots of dead fronds in the streets.  My largest potted broms are lying on their sides, no point in setting them upright until the wind dies down.  It's wicked out!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

(ellidro @ Dec. 27 2006,15:44)

The winds blew over 2 20g Kentias in my backyard, one almost landed on my favorite palm, a stout 15g dypsis saintelucei.  Go away winds!!!

Those high winds can be very bad for palms.  Hope your D. saintlucei made it through all right - those are beautiful palms (any piccies?)

(MattyB @ Dec. 27 2006,15:30)

"Washy blowin' in the wind"

Nice photo of the washie, must've been some kind of wind out there!

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Luckily the howea just missed hitting the Saintelucei.  This is one of my favorite dypsis and it happens to be pretty good size.  I would have been really bummed if it would have been damaged.  I'll try to take some pics of the near miss and post them.

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

Here's an excerpt of the latest from the NWS-LA :

12-27-06 9:35PM

ONCE AGAIN...THE FOCUS OF THE VERY STRONG WINDS TONIGHT WILL BE

THE MOUNTAINS AND NORTH-SOUTH FACING PASSES AND CANYONS.

THE MOUNTAINS OF SANTA BARBARA...VENTURA AND LOS ANGELES COUNTIES

WILL LIKELY EXPERIENCE WIDESPREAD DAMAGING WIND GUSTS...WITH SOME

AREAS EXPECTED TO TOP 80 MPH!  LOWER ELEVATION LOCATIONS THAT

COULD EXPERIENCE LOCALIZED DAMAGING WIND GUSTS BETWEEN 60 AND

70 MPH INCLUDE THE SBA COUNTY SOUTH COAST...THE LOS ANGELES COUNTY

VALLEYS (ESPECIALLY SAN FERNANDO AND SANTA CLARITA VALLEYS)...AND

THE LOS ANGELES COUNTY COAST (MAINLY FROM MALIBU TO THE HOLLYWOOD

HILLS).

WINDS WILL SHIFT TO THE NORTHEAST ON THURDSDAY AFTERNOON AND START TO

HOWL DOWN THE SOLEDAD CANYON AND SAN GABRIEL VALLEY. THERE IS THE POTENTIAL THAT STRONG

OFFSHORE WINDS COULD CONTINUE THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING. ALONG WITH THE

WINDS...HUMIDITIES WILL BE FALLING CONTINUOUSLY OVER THE NEXT 24

HOURS. THE COMBINATION OF GUSTY WINDS AND LOW HUMIDITIES WILL BRING

AN INCREASED THREAT FOR FIRE WEATHER CONDITIONS THE NEXT FEW DAYS.

THEREFORE...A FIRE WEATHER WATCH HAS BEEN ISSUED.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

As usual, not much wind in Altadena.  There's probably 50 dead fronds on my 15m (50ft) tall Phoenix canariensis, and none of them came down.  Some are hanging vertically by a thread, and there still wasn't enough wind to detach them.  Anyway, that's the good news.  The bad news is that without wind it dropped to about 3.5C (39F) this morning....

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Ah-see my post at:

My short winded post

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

Wow! We usually don't get it so bad up here south east of Riverside, but It was howlin around here last night! I thought for sure something would have blown down, but no damage yet...  I'm gonna go water stuff.

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

I don't know how strong the winds were, it's hard with conflicting data. My estimates were 70 - 80MPH. It tore the flashing off our roof last night. Stuff all over the place. Couldn't sleep because of the noise. But the Palms are standing! (a little weary though).

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

As previously noted, the worst of the damage was experienced in certain valleys and of-course mountain tops [100MPH gusts over Santa Ynez/San Gabriel ranges]  :P  

Jack

The winds died down shortly after midnight and produced cold temps in the foothills west of Pasadena, too.

David

Notice how NWS qualifies "Malibu thru Hollywood Hills" night winds.  Sometimes winter winds can become quite damaging.  A wind storm in 2003 knocked out power for 2 days. It would drop from 70F to 50F anytime the wind would die during the nights [more covers/less covers kind of night  :laugh:

doubravsky

Agree that heavy irrigation is necessary to counter the dry/moisture-sucking wind and dangerous fire conditions.  

More wind tonight but less so into the weekend.  New Year's day should be delightful  :cool:  

LA : 72/45

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Matty - These winds are more of a rare occurance for you, aren't they?

I once tried getting wind pictures, but ran into the same problem of digital camera delay :(

Well thank heavens, the winds are died down. The strongest gust in the last hour only 28MPH. Temp: 57.7F. Humidty 16%.

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Scott, I'm not sure how we compare to you up there.  I'm just about 9 miles inland from San Diego Bay on flat land but some of the more inland mountain/valley areas see a lot more wind.  We had no wind today (thurs) but I heard that up off the 15 in Riverside Co. it was buck nasty!  I guess it all just depends on where the weather pattern sets up and the topography's affect on it.  I don't know what I'm saying.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(MattyB @ Dec. 29 2006,02:31)

Scott, I'm not sure how we compare to you up there.  I'm just about 9 miles inland from San Diego Bay on flat land but some of the more inland mountain/valley areas see a lot more wind.  We had no wind today (thurs) but I heard that up off the 15 in Riverside Co. it was buck nasty!  I guess it all just depends on where the weather pattern sets up and the topography's affect on it.  I don't know what I'm saying.

Offshore wind occurs everywhere along the West Coast [eg. Columbia River Gorge near Portland/Carquinez Strait in the Bay Area].  Because of the unique configuration of the Transverse Ranges [east/west] and several wide mountain passes [eg. Cajon/Santa Ana] SoCal experiences significant continental out-flow.  These "santa ana" winds are the most pronounced from San Bernardino/Riverside into the San Gabriel/San Fernando/Santa Clarita valleys & out over the Los Angeles basin/Orange Co coastal plain.

San Diego county lies west of the Peninsular Ranges [north/south orientation] without low mt. passes.  In-fact, there are lowland regions, especially in N. San Diego county [Oceanside east into Escondido/Ramona] where night temps drop 10+ degrees colder than San Diego.  Minimums identify the windy zones that are 10+ degrees warmer than both San Diego & LA.  

Example today's minimums:

San Juan Canyon : 31

Newport Beach : 52

Oceanside Airport : 35

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23