IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"NEEDS SHADE WHEN YOUNG"

LilikoiLee

This question was inspired by the Socratea post about young Socratea not doing well in sun. I always check Riffle and Craft and other resources before planting and the phrase "Needs shade when young" shows up a lot.

How do you know when a palm is no longer "young" and can handle sun. Is it "determined" by height, age, or some other factor? We have lots of palms that need shade when young, but most of our garden is sunny. We have two solutions for this: Sometimes we go ahead and plant them and put wire cages around them with shade cloth over the top. Other times we just keep repotting them and moving their pots into increasing sunny locations. I am sure "youth" varies from palm to palm, but it would be nice to have a way to know when it is safe to expose a palm to sun.

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

This question was inspired by the Socratea post about young Socratea not doing well in sun. I always check Riffle and Craft and other resources before planting and the phrase "Needs shade when young" shows up a lot.

How do you know when a palm is no longer "young" and can handle sun. Is it "determined" by height, age, or some other factor? We have lots of palms that need shade when young, but most of our garden is sunny. We have two solutions for this: Sometimes we go ahead and plant them and put wire cages around them with shade cloth over the top. Other times we just keep repotting them and moving their pots into increasing sunny locations. I am sure "youth" varies from palm to palm, but it would be nice to have a way to know when it is safe to expose a palm to sun.

Study the palm's cultivational history and it's natural habitat. Is it naturally occurring in open areas, in full sun as an adult etc. It's all about the species as well as age. That's my two bobs worth.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Lee,

This is not as easy to answer as you might expect. Not all "sun" is created equal. In other words, not all "open exposure" is created equal. You and I have a much "friendlier" full "sun" than most locations. The always high humidity, always mild temp, and almost always afternoon cloud cover, is radically different than California "open exposure" that saw blazing 100+ degrees F (and 10% humidity) not to long ago, followed by temps in the 30s F for those exposed palms. These conditions fry even mature palms, and could certainly kill young sensitive palms right out of a greenhouse. Those conditions never exist in your climate. And don't forget, shade in nature (and gardens) also moderates night time temps, raises humidity, and provides some protection from wind.

So your answer depends as much on where you are, as the age, height, or species. And of course it aslo depends greatly on where the palm has spent the last couple of years of it's young life - an always dark greenhouse, or partial morning sun.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Lee,

This is not as easy to answer as you might expect. Not all "sun" is created equal. In other words, not all "open exposure" is created equal. You and I have a much "friendlier" full "sun" than most locations. The always high humidity, always mild temp, and almost always afternoon cloud cover, is radically different than California "open exposure" that saw blazing 100+ degrees F (and 10% humidity) not to long ago, followed by temps in the 30s F for those exposed palms. These conditions fry even mature palms, and could certainly kill young sensitive palms right out of a greenhouse. Those conditions never exist in your climate. And don't forget, shade in nature (and gardens) also moderates night time temps, raises humidity, and provides some protection from wind.

So your answer depends as much on where you are, as the age, height, or species. And of course it aslo depends greatly on where the palm has spent the last couple of years of it's young life - an always dark greenhouse, or partial morning sun.

Mucho mahalos, Dean. That helped a lot. I always think of Kona as having horrendous full sun. (Feels that way when we're out there digging holes.) Since we buy most of our palms in Hilo, we try to acclimate them before planting, but when a 10 or 15 G palm is bursting out of its pot or bag, we need to get it into the ground instead of a 20 G pot that we won't be able to move later. So far, we've been lucky with this and your answer explained why.

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

Lee,

Mucho mahalos, Dean. That helped a lot. I always think of Kona as having horrendous full sun. (Feels that way when we're out there digging holes.) Since we buy most of our palms in Hilo, we try to acclimate them before planting, but when a 10 or 15 G palm is bursting out of its pot or bag, we need to get it into the ground instead of a 20 G pot that we won't be able to move later. So far, we've been lucky with this and your answer explained why.

You're welcome Lee. We have a more friendly open exposure than most anywhere else in the world. But having said that, I have still had trouble with Socretea roots, and small (1-2 ft,) Lemureophoenix, and Carpoxylon in full sun here. And many understory tropicals will still not look their best if not given some shade. But most 5-15 gal large palms can fend for themselves in full sun around here.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I guess it depends on what elevation you're at there too. I remember how the beach was hot hot 90's hot, and by the time we got up to Dean's it was usually upper 70's, low 80's.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I am far from an expert on palms. But, I have observed where Socreteas grow natively around here. They will be found only in forested areas, normally more in primary forest. They do emerge from the canopy depending on the location. And, they are found in moister locations of the forest. That is near stream beds and in low areas which collect more water. They are not found in the water like Mauritias and some others. Most if not all primary forest trees here do much better when in the shade while young. I guess that is expected in a mature forest. Our sun here is real brutal. But, it is always humid and for about 8 months of the year it clouds up at some time during the day and frequently rains. The dry season when the temperatures can hit 105 F and there are few clouds is when plams not acustomed to much sun get fried. I have notice that Euterpes, which are native to forest areas and do well when shaded when you acutally do ok in full sun when young as long as they get establhished well by having enough water. I planted a few small ones last rainy season, about February and the made it through this years dry season with few problems. And, it was real hot and dry this year.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Lee:

You've touched on a great question.

As Wal touched upon, and Dean elaborated, the answer is: it depends. Hawaii is way different from California.

For Californians, I offer a few rules of thumb:

"Young" means before the plant begins to trunk. That said, be careful about putting a newly trunking specimen of a rainforest palm out in the sun before it can be acclimated.

I've found that forest palms often need shade when small, and develop sun-loving tendencies as they get big enough to rise above the canopy. Many of the really prized Dypsis seem like this.

The closer to the ocean, the more likely a sun-hating or -disliking palm is to forgive a mistake and grow in the sun anyway. Rhopalystylus and Howea are good examples of this. So are Clinostigmas, Dictyosperma, and other tropical types.

Also be careful with a sun-loving palm that's been grown in the shade its whole life. Livistona chinensis gets this cool, airy look in the shade, but burns badly in full sun, sometimes so badly that they die before they can acclimate.

Hmm. More to think about . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I agree it depends on where you live. After having lived in San Diego for so long I knew what full exposure could do to plants from fry to freeze, but here in Hilo just about everything gets a full dose of overhead space. There are a few

instances like the posts on the 'Socratea' thread and my Iriartea and Wettinia burned for awhile, but are now starting to acclimate. It's been a bit of a struggle for those two though, but I agree with Matty's post about not being afraid to plant some things

in full sun.

I was kind of surprised that all of my Areca have done well in full to part sun especially guppyana, macrocaylx, caliso, triandra, vestiaria, and even catachu 'alba'. I do have some shady spots though and try take full advantage of every inch.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii