IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

December 2010 thread

Trópico

Interesting pic for Florida's lows tonight.

The Gainesville/Ocala area seems to have lost the lottery.

Wow, just wow!!

It's something when New Orleans is the same temp as Key west!! Screwy weather!

My low last night was 27, but i fear that tonight will be much worse when the winds calm down and all the cold air from Orlando comes rushing down to me!! W/ frost to boot.

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Heck, I actually recorded a colder low last Tuesday morning when my Oregon Scientific recorded 23.9 at 4 feet above the ground (radiational cooling night/morning). I had my sensor in a flannel pillow case suspended from a step ladder rung, set up in the open yard.

This morning my low (same location) was exactly 25 degrees. However, there was more foilage damage at higher levels on things such as Ficus trees, climbing vines, etc., this morning because the air wasn't as stratified due to the advective nature of this morning's freeze. Last Tuesday's radiational event allowed air temperatures to rise markedly the higher from the ground.

Of course, all this will be academic because they are calling for low of between 20-27 (low ground to high ground) degrees F here tonight, accompanied by frost.

I have 27 Archontophoenix cunninghamiana in the ground. Only two so far show any leaf damage. I all but know this is due to lack of frost, as most of these palms are planted in more sheltered locations. Same with many majesty palms, a Corypha utan, and Sabal mauritiiformis. But tomorrow they should get a double whammy, both low temperature and frost.

Below is my more exposed Ficus altissima (I have another one like this growing on the southside of my property in a more sheltered area that went undamaged). The north side of this tree is totally exposed to the open north yard. From the ground up to about 8 feet most of the leaves were cold damaged and outright killed. This was from two back to back radiational cooling nights when I recorded 25.6 F and 23.9 F respectively. But last night was an advective 25 F; hence, my entire outside of the tree got severe leaf damage. The interior leaves still seem to be okay. But again, after tomorrow morning's low 20s with frost, I'm sure 90% of the tree will be defoliated.

Ficusaltissimabase.jpg

100_5790.jpg

Thanks for the info Walt. I have an A. alexandrae in my yard that was burned about 50% from a short stint to 27 last year. I'm definitely looking forward to getting a hardier cunninghamiana to replace it.

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

Good luck guys. From your advanced scouting post (Louisiana), the good news is that last night's projected low of 25 turned out to be only 29. And it a warming trend next week. Some cool projected in a few days, but nothing below freezing here, which means you guys should be pretty safe on that one.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I am without temperature sensor, it apparently got wet and doesnt work. I am only 1.3 miles east (away from the gulf) from palmetto coachhouse(hit 37.2F last night) and 2-3 miles north of ellenton weather station(hit 32.8F). Tonights weather underground forecast is really weird, saying ellenton will hit 25F and palmetto only 36F, go figure. Imagine that 11 degrees difference in what must be 4 miles. I have lots of little palms covered and plumeria as well, not sure how much I will sleep tonight....

Edited by sonoranfans

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I'm in Escazú right now and it's cold here too. La Nación (Costa Rica's National Newspaper) is reporting that today is the coldest day in the Central Valley in the last 15 years. Temperatures ranged from 10.5C (51F) in Guadalupe to 16.9C (62F) in Santa Ana. At the Irazú and Turrialba Volcanoes, the lows were 2.6 and 2.9C (37F)!

As soon as my car is finished at the shop, I'm heading back over to the beach where it's warm.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Watching the weather station in palmetto (coachhouse) 1.3 miles west of here, the little 1 mph wind shifted from due north to out of the west for 10-15 mins, and the sensor detected a 1.5F rise from 37F to 39F due to the warmer western breeze off the water. The lack of wind is going to equal alot of the temps out in this radiational event. I am hoping for a westerly breeze to limit the low :unsure: . Last years cold was a 30 year low at 26F, this was supposed to be a "mild" winter.

Tom Blank

Watching the weather station in palmetto (coachhouse) 1.3 miles west of here, the little 1 mph wind shifted from due north to out of the west for 10-15 mins, and the sensor detected a 1.5F rise from 37F to 39F due to the warmer western breeze off the water. The lack of wind is going to equal alot of the temps out in this radiational event. I am hoping for a westerly breeze to limit the low :unsure: . Last years cold was a 30 year low at 26F, this was supposed to be a "mild" winter.

Tom-

Huge differences in your area over just a short distance. My aunt/uncle live in extreme NW Bradenton (out by DeSoto) and when I drive down to visit I can clearly see the long term Zone 10 line develop. And you can see where the Coconuts and Adonidias stopped dying after last winter!

Where you are, I think youll find that even a dead north wind results in favorable conditions and youll likely see the temps rise in area stations if that happens (versus the air being calm). Of course, dead west and 20 mph is preferred :rolleyes:

The area you live in is great. I love it down there.....still some open area left around Palmetto.

Edited by spockvr6

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Tom-

Huge differences in your area over just a short distance. My aunt/uncle live in extreme NW Bradenton (out by DeSoto) and when I drive down to visit I can clearly see the long term Zone 10 line develop. And you can see where the Coconuts and Adonidias stopped dying after last winter!

Where you are, I think youll find that even a dead north wind results in favorable conditions and youll likely see the temps rise in area stations if that happens (versus the air being calm). Of course, dead west and 20 mph is preferred :rolleyes:

The area you live in is great. I love it down there.....still some open area left around Palmetto.

You actually predicted it Larry. Just after I posted the wind went back to due north, but picked up to 4mph, I suppose much of it coming off tampa bay. One half hour later it was 41.8F, then the wind died to near zero and it dropped to 38.3 at 9:50PM. Parrish to the east is 33F, Bradenton directly to the south is 35F. temperatture variability is highly dependent on wind direction. Last years winter killed 1/2 of the established adonidias, those close to the house fared better. No cocos in this neighborhood, plenty of foxtails and Royals came through the winter. Desoto area would be a terrific place to grow some palms, water all around to the west, north, and northeast. That area looks about +3F or more from here in the lows.

tom

Tom Blank

Public Information Statement

Statement as of 10:35 am EST on December 14, 2010

Below are some morning low temperatures, freeze durations, and wind

chills from selected sites across east central Florida for Tuesday

December 14th.

====================================================================

Official NWS stations low this

location morning:

Melbourne (brevard) 29 (5.5 hours at or < 32 degrees)

Orlando Intl apt (orange) 28 (7 hours at or < 32 degrees)

=====================================================================

Cooperative stations - overnight lows through 7 am at :

(temperatures were likely lower after 7 am at some locations)

Melbourne Beach (brevard) 28 (through 7 am)

Melbourne WFO (brevard) 28 (through 7 am)

This is interesting that they have mainland Melbourne 1 degree warmer than Melbourne Beach, and Orlando at the same temp. ?? I wonder where in Melbourne Beach the reading comes from, as i only got down to 32.4 last night (right on the Melbourne Beach / Indialantic border). It went from 33.6 to 32.4 at around 6:30am and stayed there for about an hour. I recently had new fronds open (probably 3 weeks ago) on Dypsis canaliculata and lastelliana, that had not hardened off yet. I have some very minor damage on those fronds. That is the only thing i have to complain about so far and i hope it stays that way. Its currently 42.3 here at 10:30pm.

I see they in Okeechobee they get -6C to -8C at grasslevel! And -2C at 150 cm! Those alegators down there must be freesing right now! Colder there then in my town now!

At least there is some justice in the world...

Alexander

I see they in Okeechobee they get -6C to -8C at grasslevel! And -2C at 150 cm! Those alegators down there must be freesing right now! Colder there then in my town now!

Alexander

Are you holding some resentment towards Floridians? I dont really care for Florida myself. I wished i lived in Hawaii, but at the moment i dont. Maybe one day, if i work hard and long enough, i might be fortunate enough to live in such a place. In the meantime, it doesnt do any good to complain.

Alexander

What in the world are you talking about? Did the State Of Florida do something to deserve this? I hope this is some translation issue.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

After holding between 33F and 32F from 10pm until 4am here in New Port Richey (I woke up briefly at 4am), I have arisen to 29.7F at almost 6am - a 2 1/2 degree drop in 1 1/2 hours. I thought I might pull it off being coastal but no luck. I notice temps all over the place in Florida with little rhyme or reason except for Pinellas, which stayed up. BUt Tampa not even freezing when Oldsmar is 28F just a few miles away? Last year Tampa was 25F on the coldest night where I was 27.5F, and Orlando is 3 degrees warmer this morning than yesterday morning, when there was wind? Tonight will, once again, be cold but hopefully above freezing. It would be nice to see a 60F afternoon........ :angry:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

After holding between 33F and 32F from 10pm until 4am here in New Port Richey (I woke up briefly at 4am), I have arisen to 29.7F at almost 6am - a 2 1/2 degree drop in 1 1/2 hours. I thought I might pull it off being coastal but no luck. I notice temps all over the place in Florida with little rhyme or reason except for Pinellas, which stayed up. BUt Tampa not even freezing when Oldsmar is 28F just a few miles away? Last year Tampa was 25F on the coldest night where I was 27.5F, and Orlando is 3 degrees warmer this morning than yesterday morning, when there was wind? Tonight will, once again, be cold but hopefully above freezing. It would be nice to see a 60F afternoon........ :angry:

Same here Greg. I woke up at 5 and checked my station plots for the night and the temp held around 32F for many hours. Its started a gentle drop over the past hour or so and is continuing down now. Currently about the cross that nasty threshold........its 30.0F now with another 90-120 minutes of cooling left.

Larry 

Not quite as cold here last night, bottomed out at around 32 or 33 but it was about 36 at 10pm so many hours of near freezing temps. 2 frost, 1 good freeze and another close to or slight freeze and it's not officially winter. Ba humbug.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

If it makes you guys feel any better, I woke up to 20f this morning. I wasn't able to protect my queen palm this year - just way too big at 22ft, but I'll take pictures - so far, still green - that's a good sign :)

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

A big tropical low is bearing down on the NW coast. Cloud is already over us from the outer rings of the circulation. The tropical low is about 1200km north of us, and will probably effect our weather by Monday. I hope it brings rain.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

After hovering at ~34 degrees from midnight, the temp started dropping ay 6am and hit 32 at 7am. We got a light frost as it dropped to 30.2 @ 7:15 and rose back above freezing by 7:35am. Currently, its 35F and rising. I feel fortuante that the freeze was brief, but its still a long way through the winter for this to happen this early.

Tom Blank

Down to 32F as of 7:50AM. After losing faith in the whole heat island thing last year, this has given me back a smidge.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Hey Takil-explorer, are you so miserable with your own situation that you wish ill fated things on others? Go take some more medication and come back when you're feeling better.

I must be in a cold pocket :angry:

Bottomed out to 25.7°F. Right now reading 29°F.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Bottomed out at 36.3. I really wish they would not use our airport for temps. The news was reporting a balmy 43 at 5:30am. I'm a few miles away & uphill and always 5-6 degrees colder

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Bottomed out at 20.8 F. Bright and sunny and seems to be warming nicely now... it's already just above freezing at 8:30 am.

Zone 9 Central Florida

Will this cold spell push back the range where coconuts are commonly planted? I thought the queens and pigmy dates were going to be scarce in Houston after last winter's freeze but most all scraped through. Just wondering.

Ed in Houston

Bren, both of St. Pete's airports are due south of water and in better microclimates than most of Pinellas County. I'd take Tampa's Airport forecast and add a few degrees. Albert Whitted can be 8 degrees warmer than Tampa's Airport and that's not realistic.

Bottomed out at 36.3. I really wish they would not use our airport for temps. The news was reporting a balmy 43 at 5:30am. I'm a few miles away & uphill and always 5-6 degrees colder

Yes, I alwats see the KSPG (downtown St Pete) temps and think....man I need to move a bit further south! That station logged a low of only 41F, but as you noted this is representative of only a small area down downtown. You can see the foliage change as you drive north and west a few miles.

But, at 36.3F, you sitting far better than I! My station logged a low of 29.5F at 659AM, with many hours less than 35F. Like you with downtown St Pete being so close yet so far away, the stations near me but on the coast also fare so much better. The two nearby in Tarpon and Dunedin but on the Gulf dropped to 35F and 38F respectively. Thats almost a full zone better than my yard, yet its only a mile west. Ah well.....horseshoes and hand grenades.

In any case, the temp is taking off like a (relative) rocket this AM as the sun is heating things up under clear skies and well probably break 40F by 9AM.

Larry 

Uh... it's 45 in Havana, Cuba right now. This is some wacky weather we're having right now for sure.

Joe Monkey

Fort Lauderdale, FL

zone 10B+

Got down to 33 in Cape Coral. I said I'd be happy with that and I am. Low overnight still to fall to the upper 30s then a rise to "near normal" temps. I uncovered everything but the Areca catechu dwarf and semi-dwarf. Tomorrow after work I'll move most of the potted stuff outdoors again. But looks like the vegetable farmers were wiped out for sure. How sad.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

23.5F here in spring hill. Was at or below 32F since around 9PM last night. Good thing everything was protected!

I had to put a second heater in my sunroom to keep the temp >= 60F for the Cyrtostachys, Pinangas, Verschaffeltia, Calyptrocalyx, Areca, Hydriastele etc. :D

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

32F here at Leu Gardens with some very light frost in the wide open areas

Orlando Intl and Orlando Exec Airports both logged 31F

10 day forecast looks good, nothing below low 40s. Jan. and early Feb worry me

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

and mid/upper 70s this Fri and Sat !!! Thank God !!!

Did you have any noticeable damage at Leu, Eric?

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

only below 32 for a few hours each night. Damage only to some spondias species (a fruit). A little new growth burn on some others, no "real" damage. Jakfruit and mango cocoons worked great, I think. My low was about 30F or so.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Guys,

I really think the 'justice in the world' comment from Alexander was directed at the alligators, not you all, so I think you should calm down a bit!

I am glad to see it looks like the immediate West Coast was spared this time around. I hope this is the last of it for you for a very long time.

I wrapped my Majesty Palms here on Sunday night, anticipating a low of 25F. I had a low of 30F on Monday morning so all is well :-)

and mid/upper 70s this Fri and Sat !!! Thank God !!!

Did you have any noticeable damage at Leu, Eric?

So far just more foliar cosmetic damage on tropicals in the open areas. Things that show damage right away and at 32f; bananas,heliconias, alocasias,etc still are green out of open areas. Tender palms can take a week or too for foliar damage to manifest. So so far nothing major, just hope we get no more freezes.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I really think the 'justice in the world' comment from Alexander was directed at the alligators, not you all, so I think you should calm down a bit!

Jason,

I'd really like to believe that. Unfortunately within this thread, there are plenty of examples of this guys exuberance because of Florida's most recent cold snap.

Alexander

Are you holding some resentment towards Floridians? I dont really care for Florida myself. I wished i lived in Hawaii, but at the moment i dont. Maybe one day, if i work hard and long enough, i might be fortunate enough to live in such a place. In the meantime, it doesnt do any good to complain.

Just on the basis of his (Alexander's) one post (above), I will give him the benefit of the doubt and infer that he only meant he's frustrated with his country's own cold/freezing condition and feels because Florida is now experiencing what he has/is experiencing, he feels 'justice' in the sense that the world (mother nature) is spreading the pain around -- and that his comment "At least there is some justice in the world..." was a poor choice word description as Floridians could make a negative inference to something not intentionally implied.

You know the old cliche "Misery loves company." (Difficulty or pain is easier to take if you know you are not alone in the experience.)

All it will take is a reply from Alexander to resolve the issue. Either he mean what he said in jest or he didn't.

Mad about palms