IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

when will my Coconut die ?

trioderob

everyone knows that there is a 99 % chance my Coconut will die outdoors in San Diego

when does that happen ?

if it is going to die how far into winter does it normally happen ?

(yes I know there is not and exact month , day and hour - lol )

:drool:

Edited by trioderob

Probably around Valentine's Day. That's when mine usually died. After a couple of those cool, damp storms they just give up. It happens kind of slowly - I wish it would happen quicker, actually - no false hope.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Probably around Valentine's Day. That's when mine usually died. After a couple of those cool, damp storms they just give up. It happens kind of slowly - I wish it would happen quicker, actually - no false hope.

No I would not give you false hope

On this strange and mournful day

But the mother and child reu-nion

Is only a motion away.........................

Can you bring it indoors? :huh:

yes, if you're able to give it the humidity it needs.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

everyone knows that there is a 99 % chance my Coconut will die outdoors in San Diego

when does that happen ?

Don't be so pessimistic. Give it your best shot and see what happens. Isn't there a coconut in SD that makes it through winter every year. I seem to remember one planted in some rocks near a building facing south that did fine (not the Newport one). Put it in the best microclimate you have, keep it dry through winter, and make sure it gets plenty of winter sun out of cold winds. It may just survive. In my experience, every winter they make it through they get a bit stronger, provided they can put on some decent growth in summer.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Yeah there are a number of people down here with coconuts that make it through every winter. Paul Kelso down in El Cajon has a reasonably large one.

Fast or slow, its gonna die.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Stupid coconuts! Here almost any palm will die except the odd Trachy. And among even these some died farther inland last winter!

Another cold dreadfull winter ahead far from sunny San Diego...

Alexander

Yeah there are a number of people down here with coconuts that make it through every winter. Paul Kelso down in El Cajon has a reasonably large one.

Funny, that's one I didn't know of...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

when does that happen ?

Don't be so pessimistic. Give it your best shot and see what happens. Isn't there a coconut in SD that makes it through winter every year. I seem to remember one planted in some rocks near a building facing south that did fine (not the Newport one). Put it in the best microclimate you have, keep it dry through winter, and make sure it gets plenty of winter sun out of cold winds. It may just survive. In my experience, every winter they make it through they get a bit stronger, provided they can put on some decent growth in summer.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone, That is the famous or in-famous "Del Mar" coconut that I planted and yes It's ALIVE! It is going into It's 9th winter! It is about 13 ft. tall and has almost a foot of clear trunk. This last year was the toughest one yet as we had above normal rainfall (cold water down in the root zone and growth point) and then we had the coldest and cloudiest summer since the 1930's :blink: . Well during the summer it got pink rot and the only thing that saved it was heavy and frequent doses of Daconil and copper fungiside. It has since pushed two frizzle top fronds and is opening a perfect frond with a spear right behind that so it may be in the clear. I planted the Coco purely as an experiment and as a challenge but if you want a Coconut lookalike that looks good year around stick to Parajubaea Sunka or Beccariophoenix.

Stevo

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

"I planted the Coco purely as an experiment and as a challenge but if you want a Coconut lookalike that looks good year around stick to Parajubaea Sunka or Beccariophoenix."

Totally agree. But it's always great to have a go at the real thing. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Parajubea sunkha is impossible to find here....actually any parajubea is non existant. I have tried a few beccariophoenix but they go downhill quickly and die within 12 months. There is a big old coconut not far my house on the western side of a very steep hill (no morning frost) and it survives with no care at all. No frosts at my house this year but it did go down to minus 2 a few times and the coconut was fine. It only gets sun until about 1pm. So wait till its dead before you mourn it.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Here is a pic of it in better days! It's gonna be fine but just not looking It's best right now.

Stevopost-351-035910200 1290520968_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Deceptive shot Steve, its bigger in real life..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Deceptive shot Steve, its bigger in real life..

Bill, So true but that pic was taken at least 4 or 5 years ago :) . The funny thing is this Coconut has suffered minimal cold damage even in 2007. It seems to get most of It's frond damage from intense sun rays and it has had the pink twice now.

Stevo

I wonder if pouring rubbing alcohol down the crown could help to dry it out and combat against the pink rot. Ya know, sort of like swimmers do to dry their ears out so they don't get ear infections.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

when does that happen ?

Tommorow night :D

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

Last night could have been it for me up in NorCal. I don't know for sure what the actual temp was but two different sources say 31f. I looked around and very small patches of frost here or there. With colder temps than SoCal, I will be happy to see it live until the middle of december. I understand the odds by the way. I just can't resist! :)

• 2 weeks later...

If they really hate cold wet soil would it be of any help to cover the soil at the base out to the edge of the crown with black plastic like we northerners do to extend the growing season? I know that the dampness will seep in from the sides, but any sun on the plastic will warm it up. I know this won't help if the air temp stays too cool, but it seems like it could help in borderline situations.

Susan

If they really hate cold wet soil would it be of any help to cover the soil at the base out to the edge of the crown with black plastic like we northerners do to extend the growing season? I know that the dampness will seep in from the sides, but any sun on the plastic will warm it up. I know this won't help if the air temp stays too cool, but it seems like it could help in borderline situations.

Susan

Yes, I've done that with clear plastic and it seems to work. The rocks under the plastic still heat up nice and toasty then. I just cut a collar in the plastic for the palms trunk and most rain runs off if you slope it all away from the palm. Any water that gets in around the trunk is quickly heated up and steamed off by the sun.

Best regards

Tyrone

:( Short life, but a merry one... Think of it as a pretty, colorful annual, plant another one in spring along with the dahlias...

How about the rest of your palms, how are they faring?

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

IT CROAKED

THE FREEZE KILLED IT

That would do it. :(

It froze last night? I didn't think it is was supposed to get that cold. Perhaps I should go check my stuff.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

It froze last night? I didn't think it is was supposed to get that cold. Perhaps I should go check my stuff.

not last night- it was last week we had the cold spell

last night was mild

IT CROAKED

THE FREEZE KILLED IT

That would do it. :(

:crying: Bummer.....

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

:unsure:

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

Here's a photo of the coconut palm at the San Diego Zoo. It's been growing in this protected spot since 2007. This pic was taken on Sept 9, 2010.

post-1786-092114700 1292053874_thumb.jpg

that palm has alot going for it--wedged into that corner with alot of reflected heat & mild climate from being close to the bay.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

• 2 years later...

How is the Huntington Beach Coconut doing? Someone should cross it with P. coccoides or other related palm. Has anyone heard of the Salton Sea coconut grove? I heard they all died due to lack of irrigation when the house was rented out. Heck, they are growing mangoes commercially there someone should try a coconut. I saw a huge Roystonea regia in Mexicali back in the early 80s and there are lots down in Rosalia. How about Stoney Pt in Sonora? There are many coconuts that fruit in Guaymas just to the south and around Bahia Kino. The low desert around the Salton Sea and south should be a possible place to coax a coconut to grow up. I tried to tempt a friend in Palm Desert to try a coconut in his atrium but he declined. Perhaps he feared coconuts raining down on the roof.

Brian Bruning

I suspect, no wait, please solve the mystery for us.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages