IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Steve Sterns Rare Palms

quaman58

I found Steve's site through an ad on the Daves Garden website. We exchanged e-mails regarding some plants that I never see for sale here on the west coast. (Acanthophoenix rubra, Gastrococos crispa). Steve ships small stuff up to one gallon. He told me he'd get me an invoice amount, & asked if I could then send him a check, at which time he'd ship the plants. I then get a call from him the following day saying "I didn't want the plants to get tangled up with the holiday mail, so I sent them out yesterday. So send me a check when you get them". A very trusting guy, I'm thinking. But trusting people tend to be trustworthy ones. The plants came in great shape the next day, I highly reccommend Steve!

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

I found Steve's site through an ad on the Daves Garden website. We exchanged e-mails regarding some plants that I never see for sale here on the west coast. (Acanthophoenix rubra, Gastrococos crispa). Steve ships small stuff up to one gallon. He told me he'd get me an invoice amount, & asked if I could then send him a check, at which time he'd ship the plants. I then get a call from him the following day saying "I didn't want the plants to get tangled up with the holiday mail, so I sent them out yesterday. So send me a check when you get them". A very trusting guy, I'm thinking. But trusting people tend to be trustworthy ones. The plants came in great shape the next day, I highly reccommend Steve!

I have visited Steve's place once a year from Maryland for the past four or five years. He is indeed honest, trustworthy and incredibly knowledgable about ALL things palms. I always look forward to visiting and dealing with him.

Tom

Baltimore, Maryland

Much obliged for the info-- I had planned to go down to Miami saturdy and visit Fairchild --- I was wonting to stop by his place

Much obliged for the info.

Best regards

Ed

• 6 months later...

Steve's place is well worth a visit and a great place to find some rare palms.

I have been to many places and think Steve really has a nice nursery.

He is helpfull and knows all about palms.

If you are in the area you should stop by.

Peter

Excellent service, Steve was very patient with all my painsaking questions, highly recommend.

• 2 years later...

I had the pleasure of meeting Steve and his wife, Michelle at the Garden show in Naples this past weekend. We had been chatting via email before this time regarding specific palms. When I arrive he was very cordial, walked me around all the palms he had explaining which ones would do best in my area. It was then that we realized Steve didn't take credit cards and I don't carry checks! We told him we could wait till the next show and pick up the palms I wanted. He said to pick out what you wanted and mail me a check. I about fell over. The original poster is right, trusting people are always trustworthy. I picked out a few palms and put the check in the mail the very next morning. He is awesome! His palms are gorgeous and well cared for. I cannot wait until December to go to his sale. Contact Steve to get on his mailing list so you don't miss out on anyplace he is going to be. His site is, http://rarepalm.com

Note: He tells me he has a lot of rare palms that are not listed, so just ask if you're looking for something in particular.

I had the pleasure of meeting Steve and his wife, Michelle at the Garden show in Naples this past weekend. We had been chatting via email before this time regarding specific palms. When I arrive he was very cordial, walked me around all the palms he had explaining which ones would do best in my area. It was then that we realized Steve didn't take credit cards and I don't carry checks! We told him we could wait till the next show and pick up the palms I wanted. He said to pick out what you wanted and mail me a check. I about fell over. The original poster is right, trusting people are always trustworthy. I picked out a few palms and put the check in the mail the very next morning. He is awesome! His palms are gorgeous and well cared for. I cannot wait until December to go to his sale. Contact Steve to get on his mailing list so you don't miss out on anyplace he is going to be. His site is, http://rarepalm.com

Note: He tells me he has a lot of rare palms that are not listed, so just ask if you're looking for something in particular.

I don't know who you met but his wife goes by, 'Cat'--short for Catherine. Steve is a good friend and I know of no one named Michelle that is affiliated with him...

I don't know who you met but his wife goes by, 'Cat'--short for Catherine. Steve is a good friend and I know of no one named Michelle that is affiliated with him...

:oOOPS I just read what I wrote! Please forgive me, I don't have a clue who Michelle is LOL! It was Catherine, not Michelle. :wacko: DUH!

• 8 months later...

I've bought a number of palms from Steve and I think he and his product is great...just wish his place was a little closer to me

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Steve Stern's collection of palms for sale is really unequaled.   He's always very helpful and extremely knowledgeable, particularly on the really rare palms.  I always go to his sales and am totally amazed at what he's got growing in his greenhouse. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

I highly recommend shopping at Steve Sterns rare palms. He has a great selection of rare palms. He is very knowledgeable and is generous with his time and expertise. I look forward to his plant sales or in between times when he allows me to casually pursue his various shade houses.i always come away with something unique.

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room