IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A big, PSSC Thank-You! to Messrs. De Jong and Luna!

DoomsDave

As you know, a PSSC meeting and garden tour were held at the San Clemente gardens of Bob de Jong (pogobob) and Rick Luna, in alphabetical and visiting order, on Saturday, Novemeber 20, 2010.

Both gardens are in San Clemente, way down south in farthest OC, right before you cross over in SD. Say you, say me, say for always, it's so palmeee . . . .

Neither garden is very large, but, well, jewel boxes aren't large either, but you still love the jewels. These gardens have no equal for large New Caledonian palms, in their marvelous coastal climate.

As Paul and Terry noted, a very large crowd showed up in spite of rain (Guada La Habra was pouring cats, dogs, and prehistoric monsters when the Hoopers and I roared on down in the Green Monster).

After we screeched to a halt and leaped from the car, I saw this Marvelous Macrocarpa Watermelon, with seed, total height about 25 feet, and this was only the beginning you-all!

post-208-000963300 1290390444_thumb.jpg

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Carol Hooper and unidentified gentleman, in the de Jong dining area, with a view of a seeding palm, a Hedyscepe I think, but correct me if I'm wrong.

post-208-038653900 1290390552_thumb.jpg

Mrs. Hoagie, Lindsey Sayers . . .

post-208-016603700 1290390637_thumb.jpg

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

BS Man and young couple . . .

post-208-064408100 1290390725_thumb.jpg

the Dewd abides, or abode, or abade, with Palmgrover, as hirstute as his namesake.

post-208-093244000 1290390801_thumb.jpg

THe street outside the de Jong house, looking south, from the nearby golf course.

post-208-056946100 1290390859_thumb.jpg

George Orwell would love it!

post-208-039224000 1290390884_thumb.jpg

Front yard with mob gathering . . .

post-208-039419300 1290390905_thumb.jpg

post-208-053716700 1290390915_thumb.jpg

Hybrid dypsis (decaryi X leptocheilos)

post-208-090673800 1290390953_thumb.jpg

With the Shoe for scale . .

post-208-081166300 1290390997_thumb.jpg

The throng, but no thongs . . .

post-208-005982300 1290391017_thumb.jpg

post-208-069752100 1290391026_thumb.jpg

post-208-034691800 1290391036_thumb.jpg

Rhopie chatham Island, I think, with Shoe for scale on trunk.

post-208-076208900 1290391169_thumb.jpg

post-208-045560900 1290391112_thumb.jpg

post-208-046014200 1290391120_thumb.jpg

More shots of our gratifying large and enthusiastic mob.

If the weather had been as good as last weekend, it might have been standing room only.

post-208-018434800 1290391246_thumb.jpg

post-208-001792500 1290391255_thumb.jpg

post-208-066921200 1290391265_thumb.jpg

Mob and canopy.

Bob's garden was planted starting in the late 1970s, when I graduated from high school, emphasis on the "high" . . . :lol:

post-208-079677400 1290391339_thumb.jpg

post-208-026601200 1290391350_thumb.jpg

post-208-083652000 1290391359_thumb.jpg

Cyphophoenix elegans.

This got a little bit KFC'd in the recent heat wave, but still marvelous.

post-208-028625900 1290391433_thumb.jpg

Same palm trunk

post-208-067713200 1290391459_thumb.jpg

post-208-045253000 1290391467_thumb.jpg

Orchid!

Dang that thing is beautiful, looks like a Laelia species (Laelia, you got me on my knees . . . )

post-208-003797000 1290391540_thumb.jpg post-208-042451600 1290391551_thumb.jpg post-208-053991700 1290391564_thumb.jpg

Mystery Dypsis (to me anyway)

post-208-064399400 1290391627_thumb.jpg

More of the mob . . .

post-208-027833100 1290391660_thumb.jpg

post-208-059662800 1290391671_thumb.jpg

post-208-021484300 1290391685_thumb.jpg

Oh, how lovely the Howeas are when they get that big, this one was 30 feet tall, and full of seeds.

post-208-045985500 1290391829_thumb.jpg

Canopy, ow, that swoon hurt . . .

post-208-048765800 1290391866_thumb.jpg

Gonna lay off for a while, more pics to come!

post-208-025437600 1290391926_thumb.jpg post-208-094121000 1290391943_thumb.jpg

BS Man and young couple . . .

post-208-064408100 1290390725_thumb.jpg

That's Fallbrook Jason and VIRGINIA (yes, there is!!)

Plus, I believe the Dypsis in #17 is a heteromorpha Bob said..

Keep up the excellent coverage my waterlogged compadre..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Well, I'm back in the saddle again . . . .

Here's the crown of the infamous Hedyscepe canterburiana, oh, I feel a swoon coming on . . .

post-208-072448400 1290397390_thumb.jpg

The Shoe on the trunk for scale.

post-208-025124100 1290397429_thumb.jpg

Carpinteria!

Acuminata!

Say!

Amen!

Boy!

Howdy!

Doody!

Etc.

That's a palm that's NOT SUPPOSED TO GROW HERE! Well, it appears not to care, and thank heaven for cluelessness at times.

Close up of crown.

post-208-022316000 1290397551_thumb.jpg

From a distance. This is about 30 feet tall.

post-208-039870800 1290397537_thumb.jpg

Trunk with Shoe.

post-208-021404600 1290397565_thumb.jpg

OW!

That swoon hurt . . . so good!

So, the Hoopers and I roared on over to Mr. Luna's place, across the Freeway.

I dropped them off and parked around the corner, and walked, huffing and puffing with excitement, to the Luna's house.

Look at those tiled sidewalks!

Like something out of Brazil!

post-208-066769700 1290397717_thumb.jpg post-208-096652100 1290397736_thumb.jpg

As I near the house, I note someone's picturesquely pruned olive tree.

(huff-puff, huff-puff, huff-puff, etc.)

post-208-088759300 1290397766_thumb.jpg

And, I entered the gate to the Luna's place and . . . .

(hhuff-puff, huff-puff, huff-puff, huff-puff, huff-puff, huff-puff, huff-puff, huff-puff, huff-puff, huff-puff, huff-puff, huff-puff, huff-puff, huff-puff, huff-puff, huff-puff, huff-puff, etc)

. . . . .

When I saw THIS!

A full-blown, full-grown, HYOPHORBE VERSCHAFFELTII! :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I touched it . ..

By heavens, it was real! Not a joke!

post-208-037018200 1290398305_thumb.jpg

Here's the trunk, with the Shoe, American Size 13, 12.5 inches 32 cm long.

Swoona Maria . . . .

post-208-042456000 1290398321_thumb.jpg

TO my amazement, it didn't run off or try to shrug me loose when I put my arm around it . . . . .

I'm six feet, exactly.

post-208-014285700 1290398462_thumb.jpg

Basselinia, I think

someone correct me . . . .

In my orthopedic shoes!

post-208-062774800 1290398538_thumb.jpg

The Luna place was wonderful.

More rustic than the manicured splendor of Casa de Jong, but oh so grand!

People swooned in heaps in the backyard.

(on top of me! OOmph!)

post-208-033746800 1290398692_thumb.jpg post-208-076599700 1290398705_thumb.jpg post-208-079349300 1290398721_thumb.jpg post-208-010024500 1290398743_thumb.jpg

And we did the lunch. Oink oink.

I inhaled the chicken, bones and all, along with someone's MAGNIFICENT mixed green salad, oh, say amen!

Then, after everyone oinked, grunted, and wolfed down, we had the auction.

What an experience this was to be!

There was a nice crowd of crazed palm nuts who had just seen some magnificent specimens. And, we had some of the same brought by our stalwart palm growers for auction.

And, it began to rain.

Please, [You-Know-Who] NOT NOW! Can't this wait, until, say, midnight?

Well, whatever. As BS man and Paul noted, we did the auction anyway. I stood in the rain, and attendees sat under umbrellas, and we did the auction anyway. And, there were some great deals! The Dewd and Palm Grover well know, sitting in front . . ..

Oh, but!

It really started to rain, when they hauled out the Bismarckia of Bad Tidings . . . .

It rained, HARD!

post-208-023960500 1290400492_thumb.jpg

Eugene and I repaired to the shelter of the buffet area . . .

post-208-005499800 1290400554_thumb.jpg

post-208-078108800 1290400567_thumb.jpg

Squish, squish squisH!

Well, I have to add a few more.

Mr. Luna had a STUPENDOUS Chambeyronea macrocarpa watermelon, oh, scream . . . .

(I almost swooned off the railing of his second story!)

post-208-091463000 1290402545_thumb.jpg

Keep in mind, I'm looking level at it. From the second story.

Gaze into the top of an old D. baronii, three times the size of mine.

post-208-004871100 1290402614_thumb.jpg

Mature Howea forsteriana crowns.

Seeds galore.

post-208-070908100 1290402667_thumb.jpg post-208-053093300 1290402687_thumb.jpg

And another.

And a sister and a brother . . .

post-208-092547200 1290402806_thumb.jpg

And the View of the Ocean.

post-208-069511100 1290402902_thumb.jpg