IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Red Palm Weevils found in my garden.....

Charles Wychgel

It had to come to me it was only a matter of time

After losing three mature CIDP last year to Fusarium oxysporum I had one CIDP left, which I kept under close surveillance, seeing all those affected trees around my hood

It was trimmed last March (fronds were hanging in the drive way) and inspected for weevil damage or entry points

We found nothing that indicated the presence of the RPW but decide to give it a spray of insecticide and nematodes anyway

With cooler weather now we decided to give it another trim and inspection

Leonardo(French) arrived with his Bulgarian help and started disinfecting the chainsaw with bleach and diesel so not to spread Fusarium , he also took a good look at the palm , shook his head wearily and pointed at some new fronds that were slightly leaning

We put up a ladder, Leonardo put on his safety goggles and gloves, climbed up the ladder pulled out the leaning fronds without any effort and threw them at me saying something that included the word "merde"

After that it was routine work for him, with the chainsaw the heart was taken out leaving a flat surface covered with sticky syrup that in no time attracted hordes of flies; the flat part clearly showed the holes burrowed by the larvae

In the process several larvae fell on the ground; some young weevils and also some baby rats from a nest between the petioles

All the leaves and other plant material was loaded on the truck to be destroyed

A thorough spray with insecticide of the on the cut materials and a follow up with a nematode spray next morning.....job done; follow up will be an inspection in two weeks, stay tuned

I took a shot of "aguardente de medronho" to calm my nerves and opened a special bottle of wine for dinner to ensure a good night sleep

Crown before the operation

post-37-005819600 1289122636_thumb.jpg

Three leaning fronds at 13.00 hrs

post-37-057281500 1289122745_thumb.jpg

Petiole with entry(left) and exit(right) holes, exit holes are bigger as the larvae fill up with "my" CIDP

post-37-015640000 1289122931_thumb.jpg

Damaged petiole

post-37-071323900 1289123002_thumb.jpg

Spear damage

post-37-072201800 1289123076_thumb.jpg

Leonardo the plant surgeon

post-37-080195200 1289123172_thumb.jpg

9 weevils

post-37-037385300 1289123235_thumb.jpg

Open heart surgery

post-37-080262600 1289123295_thumb.jpg

Finished surgery

post-37-015511600 1289123403_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

Some more pix

Surgery finished

post-37-055979800 1289123643_thumb.jpg

After pic

post-37-070482600 1289123705_thumb.jpg

Another after pic

post-37-023107400 1289123744_thumb.jpg

Always look at the bright side of life....more space for other palms :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

Charles,

What a sad sight that is............... really sorry to see this.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

Charles you're in good company These Days is collapsed suddenly my female phoenix canariensis,

I Threw the insecticide in the summer, But This Was not Enough

GIUSEPPE

Dear Charles

Those visuals are painful,And iam very sorry to see that plight.....Since it happens to be my No.1 Favorite palm.

Love,

kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Immag007-5.jpg

Immag005-10.jpg

as you can see the phoenix canariensis no longer the central part,

has this happened in 4 days!,

Edited by gyuseppe
  • Upvote 1

GIUSEPPE

Its a nasty beastie Charles and certainly makes quick work of palm's this was just a year ago and all looks fine.

IMGP3689.jpg%20port.jpg

Do you not think further down the trunk the weevils could still be there?

I remember taking these pics in your area I bet all those Phoenix growing in a close circle are done for as well....how has Antonio managed?

IMGP3975.jpgweevil.jpg

IMGP3976.jpgweevil.jpg

• Upvote 1

Zone 8b

Central UK

Average min over last 5 years -5.1 C

Very sad. But thank you for the info. You should provide a link from the other big RPW thread.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

This is an excellent discussion beginning here about Red Palm Weevil.

There is a very active discussion going on about RPW on on PalmTalk called "Red Palm Beetles found in Laguna Beach, CA". My link

The discussion is quite lively and with eight pages of posts so far.

I think many members would be interested in the discussion and photographs that are getting posted here.

Ron

Charles, sorry for your loss, and hopefully the wine inspired some ideas! How about planting a Bismarckia?

Charles, sorry for your loss, and hopefully the wine inspired some ideas! How about planting a Bismarckia?

Have three of them John, the blue ones that is as the green one never lived longer than one winter

But you are right I am already thinking what I am going to do with the empty space

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24