IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

is this the ultimate "prehistoric" tropical looking plant ?

trioderob

E. woodii

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I still think that Gunneras look the most prehistoric, but this is right up there.

• Upvote 1

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

along with Araucaria rulei and Angiopteris evecta

Eric,

Can yo post any photos of the Araucaria rulei ? Are you growing this in Orlando?

Best regards

Ed Brown

Eric,

Can yo post any photos of the Araucaria rulei ? Are you growing this in Orlando?

Best regards

Ed Brown

Here are a few I found online. I have a couple seedlings I germinated a few months ago but none outdoors yet.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Eric,

Best regards

Ed Brown

Here are a few I found online. I have a couple seedlings I germinated a few months ago but none outdoors yet.

post-231-026759100 1288877605_thumb.jpg

post-231-007806300 1288877631_thumb.jpg

post-231-060956000 1288877649_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Now thats a tree! Do you think they woud do better thatn the Wollemi pine--- I am running out of space for big trees here--- I might not be able to plant more than one in my future.

Best regards

Ed

Dicksonia forest in Bolivia --- beautiful and prehistoric ---

Offered to keep the thread going

Best regards

Ed

post-562-013956200 1288976200_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

As Ed said, to keep it going....

....Richea pandanifolia, Tasmania....a very big heath!

post-1935-085756300 1289215680_thumb.jpg

post-1935-081660000 1289216393_thumb.jpg

post-1935-076752200 1289216443_thumb.jpg

Ripped from the net!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

Eric in Orlando beat me to it but I agree that Angiopteris Evecta is probably the most prehistoric plant I have seen. They look like some kind of missing link between a Fern and a Cycad. Also they are HUGE and have petioles as big around as your arm!

Stevo

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

thanks what are these Pandanus or yucca?

Best regards

Ed

Neither Ed - they are literally a type of giant heath or Epacrid. Not related to Pandanus or Yucca, but the common name here is Pandani, I guess because the early botanists thought they looked like a Pandanus.

These things are far from tropical. They grow at about 1000m (3000') altitude in the mountains of Tasmania at 42 degrees south and are often covered in snow for weeks on end. Slow growing and difficult to keep alive in a garden, although apparently easier in a pot for some reason. They can grow to about 12m (40') high eventually.

Cheers,

Jonathan

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

is there any plant in the world more prehistoric looking than a E. LATIFRONS ?

I rest my case :

latifrons06.jpg

Just an additional comment that arenarius, horridus, and trispinosus all fall in the same family being very spiny and horrific looking.

• Upvote 1

How about the xanthorrhoea glauca. These dudes can live 600 years so they really are prehistoric!!

grass-trees-1.jpg

• Upvote 3

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

• 5 years later...
On 11/3/2010, 6:59:47, edbrown_III said:

Eric,

Best regards

Ed Brown

Eric - did they make it into the ground?

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 9 months later...
On 11/4/2010, 8:35:00, Eric in Orlando said:

Hey Eric, do you still have this one?

We have 4 Araucaria rulei planted out at Leu Gardens. The largest is about 4 ft tall. I will get some photos on Monday.

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

1 hour ago, Eric in Orlando said:

We have 4 Araucaria rulei planted out at Leu Gardens. The largest is about 4 ft tall. I will get some photos on Monday.

Awesome, would love to see them. Speaking of which, I really need to get down there in person sometime soon. Only time I went was in 2007: and having just moved down from Illinois, wasn't as aware of the many tropical trees/plants and palms. In fact, we must have bypassed those areas as mostly what I remember were the nice live/laurel oak canopy throughout and more native plants/trees. I do however remember seeing an Araucaria there: all I remember was that the label said "Monkey puzzle." It was about 15 feet high and looked healthy so it must have been either bidwilli or angustifolia.

I stand corrected, we have 3 Araucaria rulei planted out at Leu Gardens;

2016-09-12%20012_zpsddgxvf4x.jpg

2016-09-12%20025_zpssiztvigt.jpg

2016-09-12%20055_zpsndoiugx3.jpg

• Upvote 5

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

That is an awesome specimen!

I wish Wollemia nobilis would grow here. There is some hope, it has been grafted onto Agathis robusta rootstock and so far has been growing in Florida.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

On 9/10/2016, 8:24:33, Opal92 said:

Awesome, would love to see them. Speaking of which, I really need to get down there in person sometime soon. Only time I went was in 2007: and having just moved down from Illinois, wasn't as aware of the many tropical trees/plants and palms. In fact, we must have bypassed those areas as mostly what I remember were the nice live/laurel oak canopy throughout and more native plants/trees. I do however remember seeing an Araucaria there: all I remember was that the label said "Monkey puzzle." It was about 15 feet high and looked healthy so it must have been either bidwilli or angustifolia.

I just posted this over in a conifer forum, It is photos of Araucariaceae (Araucaria and Agathis) specimens here at Leu Gardens.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/4159372/m=3/araucariaceae-collection-at-leu-gardens-agathis-and-araucaria

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

On 11/1/2010, 7:10:29, BS Man about Palms said:

E. woodii

On 11/9/2010, 7:49:05, Madchemis said:

Just an additional comment that arenarius, horridus, and trispinosus all fall in the same family being very spiny and horrific looking.

On 11/1/2010, 3:59:19, trioderob said:

is there any plant in the world more prehistoric looking than a E. LATIFRONS ?

Since there were a couple of responses indicating a preference for E woodii, and the Cape blue Encephalartos, I thought I would toss my hat into the ring with this juvenile Encephalartos horridus x woodii.  While none of the blue of mama Encephalartos, it does have her nice twisted structure and recurved leaves.  It looks like something only a dinosaur would munch on, not something I could imagine any wild or domestic Bovinae eating today.20160913-104A4213.thumb.jpg.e27470085cf3

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

On 9/12/2016, 11:35:12, Eric in Orlando said:

Nice looking plants, thanks for sharing the pics. I remember reading that in their native environment they like to grow in soil with nickel!? Regardless of that, they seem to be thriving in the soil there at Leu. I wonder what it's actual cold hardiness is. Realistically, it probably is the same or even more tender than heterophylla. Although since it hasn't been trialed much at all from what I've read, I'm very wishfully hoping it could be more hardy..... even hardy enough to grow in the Panhandle.

• 4 years later...
On 9/12/2016 at 9:35 AM, Eric in Orlando said:

2016-09-12%20012_zpsddgxvf4x.jpg

2016-09-12%20025_zpssiztvigt.jpg

2016-09-12%20055_zpsndoiugx3.jpg

Can you speak to any freezes these things have lived through?