IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm Wine

Tiki Palms

I am brand new to this forum and signed up after reading a thread regarding Butia jelly. I am about 2 months into making wine from my tree and would like to know if anyone has tried this. Even though it is not ready, I have racked it 3 times and the hydrometer numbers are correct. It seems to be a dry white so far but not particularly clear ... but time will tell. It actually tastes pretty good but may need a little sweetening.

I will have about 20 bottles when completed. Has anyone else done this?

thanks

Bryan

I am brand new to this forum and signed up after reading a thread regarding Butia jelly. I am about 2 months into making wine from my tree and would like to know if anyone has tried this. Even though it is not ready, I have racked it 3 times and the hydrometer numbers are correct. It seems to be a dry white so far but not particularly clear ... but time will tell. It actually tastes pretty good but may need a little sweetening.

thanks

Bryan

I haven't tried it, but can't wait to hear how it comes out.

And welcome to the forum,

Keith

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

thanks

Bryan

I haven't tried it, but can't wait to hear how it comes out.

And welcome to the forum,

Keith

I have never seen Butia `wine` for sale in Brasil. Butia juice, Butia ice cream , but not wine. They put fruits into cachaca ( local moonshine made from sugarcane) which can taste quite nice, the flavour of the nut comes into the cachaca with time.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

This is an attempt to answer a message from Xenon and to post a few pics of the wine making.

Yes Tiki Island is very close to Galveston.

1st pic is my butia. It has about 9ft of wood and 20 in trunk diameter. It's been here for many years.

2nd pic is a joke .... my wife is "stomping" the fruit

3rd mashing the fruit

4th is almost 5 gal of wine soon to be bottled (and tasted)

I have about 25 species of palms here including a butia/queen mule palm. Most of these went under 12 ft of water during hurricane Ike and are finally coming back after 2years. With the hurricane followed by a hard freeze, I'm lucky to have any of them

post-5056-059828600 1288557530_thumb.jpg

post-5056-023554000 1288557604_thumb.jpg

post-5056-011561900 1288557673_thumb.jpg

post-5056-014897900 1288557687_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

This is an attempt to answer a message from Xenon and to post a few pics of the wine making.

Yes Tiki Island is very close to Galveston.

1st pic is my butia. It has about 9ft of wood and 20 in trunk diameter. It's been here for many years.

2nd pic is a joke .... my wife is "stomping" the fruit

3rd mashing the fruit

4th is almost 5 gal of wine soon to be bottled (and tasted)

I have about 25 species of palms here including a butia/queen mule palm. Most of these went under 12 ft of water during hurricane Ike and are finally coming back after 2years. With the hurricane followed by a hard freeze, I'm lucky to have any of them

Is that a Royal palm in the background? Looks great, how cold did you get?

Cool wine making process too, maybe I'll try it in 8 years :D.

Welcome to Palmtalk,

Jonathan

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Bryan,

Welcome to the forum. I've never tried to make butia wine but, I plan to next year when I get back home from Iraq. A couple question for ya. Did you add any extra sugar to the must and, what is your final hydrometer reading? Also, you said you've racked 3 times already. How's the wine clarifying for you? I think I'm going to use champane yeast on my first batch. I'll probably also add pectin to the must and then add some tannins a little later. I'm really exicited to hear how it works out for you! Keep us posted on your progress.

Tom

Is that a Royal palm in the background? Looks great, how cold did you get?

Cool wine making process too, maybe I'll try it in 8 years :D.

Welcome to Palmtalk,

Jonathan

• Upvote 1

I would've thought the low was higher considering the low Galveston Island was only 27 degrees, nice to see some zone 10 palms in Galveston though.

Nice pics,

:) Jonathan

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Welcome to the forum. I've never tried to make butia wine but, I plan to next year when I get back home from Iraq. A couple question for ya. Did you add any extra sugar to the must and, what is your final hydrometer reading? Also, you said you've racked 3 times already. How's the wine clarifying for you? I think I'm going to use champane yeast on my first batch. I'll probably also add pectin to the must and then add some tannins a little later. I'm really exicited to hear how it works out for you! Keep us posted on your progress.

Tom

I have not added sugar yet. A couple of taste tests of this young wine seems to need a little sugar prior to bottling. The hydrometer is .995 so it is dry and about 12% alcohol. I did not add tannin. After 3 racks it is "kinda" clearing up but I left the seeds in the must for over a week and did not strain it very well. I was told I can add a clarifier with no problems. The fruit was very ripe when picked - actually as it was falling off the palm. I used 12 lbs and I wish I had used more even though the wine does not taste watery

Be carefull over there

Bryan

Cool! I wish I had been at Texas A&M Galveston long enough to try a royal! Now I have several big Butia (one I brought from the College Station campus), so I'll be interested in your results. We did make Butia jelly one year, which was good but it was pretty labor intensive getting the sugars and pectin out of the fruit. Not like squashing grapes or strawberries. Good luck with your wine and welcome aboard!

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88

With all of the fiber found in the fruit, I would imagine that clearing the wine may take some old fashioned techniques, unlkess you have an advance filtration system. Many fruit wines use egg whites as a settling and clarifying agent.

Wine making books have the technique in them....

one thn=ing that may be important. You do not know what impact the fiber may have on the taste of the wine. I would suggest a test, by filtering 1/2 and not filtering the other. You probably will not age the wine in the cellar, so to speak, so the unclarified wine may remain cloudy and not settle out.

I am interested in your results, for sure!

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

bepah... you must be a mind reader

OK- since I could find no info on palm wine I decided to wing-it and talked to a couple of folks that make grape wine for help. As I said, I started with 12 lbs of ripe fruit. Stuck it in a freezer for 24 hours to break the skin, thawed it out, crushed as well as I could. Fruit, seeds and all was placed in a 10 gal bucket and enough water for about 6 gal. The thought was that after the fiber and seeds were removed, I would net about 5 gals. 10 lbs of sugar (hydrometer 1.090) 5tsp yeast, 3 tsp acid blend. Fermented for a week.

It was very fiberous, stringy and UGLY - I almost quit then! I found a type of cheese cloth, made a large bag and poured the "must" through it into a glass carboy (5gal bottle) I then topped it off just a little to about 4.5 gal and installed the fermentation lock. Racked at 3 weeks, 7 weeks and 10 weeks. The last rack I pulled about 8 oz xtra and it was fairly clear. I split into 3 glasses and added a different amount of sugar to each and tasted..... not as bad as I thought. I plan to bottle in a couple of months and MAY add a little sugar but will not decide until then.

I am certainly no wine Pro and did this mainly because it was from my pindo palm - no other reason. I'm far more of a palm freak than a wine freak ... it was entertainment. The wine making supplies came from a business in Houston ($100)

* as I assumed, the wine tastes similar to the fruit itself- kinda tart with some sweet. I am told that more sugar will mellow the taste more but ...

thanks for all the responses

Bryan

One final note. I am now down to 4 gals having lost at lease a half gallon in racking. (staying out of the fiber and dead yeast on the bottom of the carboy) I was told to top off with water but have decided against it... don't want to water it down. I hope all this doesn't finally end up in the sink.. time will tell

Edited by Tiki Palms