IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Manambe Lavaka

MattyB

I have a pretty good microclimate. Ultimate lows have been in the upper 30's in the winter. Plus, my real marginal stuff like bottle palm, carpoxylon, and satakentia, etc., are planted at the top of the hill, on the south side of my house where it captures warmth in the winter time.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I try to think about all the factors when planting things out, but inevitably sometimes it just doesn't work out like you plan and things die, or you have to cut stuff down. I've cut a lot of things down. The old timers call it "editing".

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Here ya go. 6 Ravanea glauca. Hard to get good pics in the rainforest, more of an experience.

post-126-0-79937800-1383497112_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

They're about 8' tall and the trunks are at least 4" in diameter and flare out even fatter down low. These were 1 gallons 5 years ago. I can see these easily becoming 10 foot of clear trunk after 20 years or so.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

They're about 8' tall and the trunks are at least 4" in diameter and flare out even fatter down low. These were 1 gallons 5 years ago. I can see these easily becoming 10 foot of clear trunk after 20 years or so.

ah, looks a lot larger in the picture

• 1 month later...

When it comes to acclimatization and trustful horticultural skills, I often get back to MattyB's contributions.

Especially since San Diego's climate is rather similar to my mid-elevation leeward garden.

There are photos of this great garden a bit everywhere, and it's good.

But I just wondered: would you be so kind, Matty, as to post a few recent shots here to update this dedicated post?

Hope it's OK :) .

Sebastian, garden on La Palma island, 370 m (1200 feet) above sea level / USDA Zone 11/12 ; Heat zone IV / V

Record High: 42°C (107F) / Record Low: 9°C (48°F). Rain: 600 mm (24 inches) per year with dry/wet seasons. Warm Season: July-November / Cool Season: December-June
Warmest month (August/September) average minimum temperature : 21°C (70°F) / Warmest month (August/September) average maximum temperature : 28°C (82°F)
Coldest month (February/March) average minimum temperature : 14,5°C (58°F) / Coldest month (February/March) average maximum temperature : 21°C (70°F)

Temperature of the sea : minimum of 20°C (68°F) in march, maximum of 25°C (77°F) in September/October.

:crying:

Sebastian, garden on La Palma island, 370 m (1200 feet) above sea level / USDA Zone 11/12 ; Heat zone IV / V

Record High: 42°C (107F) / Record Low: 9°C (48°F). Rain: 600 mm (24 inches) per year with dry/wet seasons. Warm Season: July-November / Cool Season: December-June
Warmest month (August/September) average minimum temperature : 21°C (70°F) / Warmest month (August/September) average maximum temperature : 28°C (82°F)
Coldest month (February/March) average minimum temperature : 14,5°C (58°F) / Coldest month (February/March) average maximum temperature : 21°C (70°F)

Temperature of the sea : minimum of 20°C (68°F) in march, maximum of 25°C (77°F) in September/October.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Hi Matty,

Thanks for the link!

I missed it, I'm hopeless sometimes...

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"