IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Manambe Lavaka

MattyB

Don't sleep more often.

Plus, you ignored my question.

(Paul said I should act this way.)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Dear Matty, or "Man of Manambe Lavaka". My tip is for a couple of mild winters for SD (Service Desk ?) and for the next two growing seasons you'll see those palms that are trunking now such as the rednecks and KO, to really take off.

I assume you have more photos to show so I'll hold off my final statement till then.

Thanks, more of these kind of posts please people. :)

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I'll try and answer all the questions eventually. I'm gonna post some more pics now...

10-30-10-001.jpg

A couple of Roystonia regia, Sabal yapa, Pritchardia martii, Samanea saman, Pritchardia beccariana, Dypsis sp. in cage

10-30-10-005.jpg

I got a better shot of the D. madagascarensis crown

10-30-10-006.jpg

Two different types of Dypsis lanceolata in foreground just getting sun acclimated.

10-30-10-007.jpg

Two different types of Dypsis pembana with a row of Pritchardia on the right.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

10-30-10-008.jpg

From near to far: All Pritchardias: shatauerii, forbesiana, beccariana. There's a P. hardyii in there but you can't see it.

10-30-10-009.jpg

P. forbesiana and P. beccariana

10-30-10-011.jpg

Roystonea borinquena

10-30-10-012.jpg

Dypsis carlsmithii trio

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

10-30-10-014.jpg

Licuala ramsayii

10-30-10-017.jpg

10-30-10-018.jpg

Pritchardia thurstonii on right front, Burretiokentia dumasii in cage.

10-30-10-020.jpg

Sabal yapa

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

10-30-10-022.jpg

Apparently Samanea saman won't grow here.

10-30-10-024.jpg

Bizzie anchors down the radius point of the road and is surrounded by 4 Dypsis onilahensis types.

10-30-10-025.jpg

Dypsis onilahensis, skinny stems, upright, recurved leaves

10-30-10-026.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

10-30-10-027.jpg

Dypsis onilahensis solitary weeper

10-30-10-029.jpg

And a couple of other Dypsis onilahensis types

10-30-10-031.jpg

I try and branch out and grow a lot of different stuff. Here's on of our Cherimoya rippening up.

10-30-10-032.jpg

Fuerte avocado

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

10-30-10-033.jpg

Hass avocado

10-30-10-034.jpg

Apples

10-30-10-035.jpg

Tropical pink guava

10-30-10-036.jpg

The Purple Garden

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

10-30-10-037.jpg

The Purple Garden annex. Macrozamia and Furcraea

10-30-10-040.jpg

The Orchard with more fruit trees

10-30-10-058.jpg

Nectarine

10-30-10-056.jpg

Carambola/star fruit

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

10-30-10-059.jpg

Brewster Lychee

10-30-10-041.jpg

Moving on down the hill I have 4 Delonix regia, this is my largest.

10-30-10-042.jpg

L to R: Delonix regia, Beccariophoenix sp. 'windows', B. madagascarensis, B. alfredii

10-30-10-043.jpg

The Lavaka is full of Bamboo now!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

10-30-10-044.jpg

B. timor lako, B. beechyana

10-30-10-046.jpg

Gigantochloea atroviolacea, B. vulgaris vitatta, Dendrocalamus latiflorus 'mei nung', B. chungii. Remember this picture. I've got a before shot from this angle that I'll post at the end.

10-30-10-045.jpg

One of the many Brahea armata planted out on the far rocky ridge. I've got 7 Dypsis decipiens that are in this area too but they're still in cages and not very photogenic yet.

10-30-10-047.jpg

At the peak of the far ridge with Acacia xanthophloea

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

10-30-10-048.jpg

Looking back at it all

10-30-10-050.jpg

Back on the house side of the hill, looking back at the rocky ridge where I took the last photo from.

10-30-10-051.jpg

More Purple Garden with Chamerops humilis 'cerifera'.

10-30-10-069.jpg

Eye candy

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

10-30-10-070.jpg

Looking up at the canopy makers

10-30-10-061.jpg

Here's an after

And here's some befores taken in October of '07, three years ago.

post-126-033294200 1288473630_thumb.jpg

post-126-046940800 1288473637_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Thanks for posting MattyB. It is great to see someone else's garden about the same age as mine. I haven't been in the garden as much as I should this year due to increased responsibility elsewhere :rolleyes: , but it is still coming along. I have less palms than you though... I have concentrated more on the trees...

BTW, why are you removing Paulownia tomentosa? Since you have the space, you probably can plant more trees... (just my opinion, of course). I love those bamboo at the bottom of the hill. Can you plant more Dendrocalamus where you are? They are very impressive once they get to a decent size. I just picked up 8 more yesterday to block off the neighbour's shed & house & everything that they planted 20m from the boundary behind my dam :angry: .

Keep posting... it makes my morning very enjoyable!!

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Two words for this thread (must be said swiftly)

Glory Us

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

10-30-10-048.jpg

Looking back at it all

10-30-10-050.jpg

Back on the house side of the hill, looking back at the rocky ridge where I took the last photo from.

10-30-10-051.jpg

10-30-10-069.jpg

Eye candy

Are those the scrawney ass teddies from home depot a couple years ago? If so, they are blowing up!

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

They are. I planted those December 24th 2007. It was freezing cold!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

MattyB thanks for posting. You had a vision and you went out and accomplished it. Well done. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Might as well change your username to "MattyD" now. Soon people will be referring to the Matty Darian garden. :)

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Matt - your garden is amazing!! Are you running drip line to all those plants?

David S.

Placentia, CA

Zone 10A

Lat: N 33 ° 53 ' 47 '' ( 33.896 ° )

Lon: W 117 ° 51 ' 33 '' ( -117.859 ° )

Elevation (ft): 325

10-30-10-034.jpg

Apples

Matt, what variety of Apple is this?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Matty:

Paulownia are really neat...they do have huge leaves and flowers like jacaranda, but the trees get huge very quickly. They are quite common on roadsides in the southern Appalachians, beautiful in flower...but only on the roadsides because they are invasive "weeds" up there taking root on disturbed areas. They are Asian temperate as I recall, so can live in much of the US. I wanted to put one here, but it stays way too warm for them to die before reproducing. I like your idea of using them between palms, but cutting it down each year so it can flower but not reproduce (hopefully). I may have to try that.

Nice job on your garden!

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88

Great garden, I really like the Ravenea glauca and the pritchardia

Sol Cooper

Hobart Tasmania

42 degrees South

Mild climate - mostly frost free

You must eat a bowl of amphetamines for breakfast to do all that in 3 years. Nice stuff.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Might as well change your username to "MattyD" now. Soon people will be referring to the Matty Darian garden. :)

I was thinking the same thing. Is it ok to say WOW twice in this thread. How about three.....WOW! Awesome job dude! WOW. Nice Pritchardia's!

Mike Hegger

Northwest Clairemont

San Diego, California

4 miles from coast

Yikes, Matty. Your gonna have to hire some ranch hands in a few years! :mrlooney: That's some impressive garden.

Randy :)

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Hi, cool garden!, beautiful collection...included the dog, I love american stafford,this breed are the best dog I have had and always will have.

Regards.

Matt:

I am so impressed with everything you have here. I am blown away. Great job. Your palms are phenomenal. All of them. Great job!! Love than rain tree as well. Naw....that won't grow here. Just like the ____________(fill in the blank).

• Upvote 1

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

10-30-10-048.jpg

Looking back at it all

10-30-10-050.jpg

10-30-10-051.jpg

10-30-10-069.jpg

Eye candy

Are those the scrawney ass teddies from home depot a couple years ago? If so, they are blowing up!

I'm with Bob on this one. I'm all jacked because the ones I got at Lowes now have a couple of rings. Yours look 2 years ahead of mine. Dang.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Thanks for the tour and the killer deals!!!! I can't believe how much things have grown in one year. You are the man!

• Upvote 1

Mike in Scripps Ranch

Zone 10a, 9 miles from ocean

What a garden, with all the tropical rare palms growing so well you've done a incredible job of creating a tropical micro climate in your area . I had no idea that all the different types of Dypsis palms could be grown so well in Spring Valley. It's a great example of what can be grown in San Diego County if you have the expertise and you Matty have proven that you do.

Well done Matty !!!!

Thanks everyone for all the kind words. I'll try and answer some questions that were posed:

Lee,

I started planting at the end of '07, Oct., Nov. Dec, were when the first plants went in. I usually plant things out at about a 5 gallon size plant. With the rocky substrate I usually can't dig a very big/deep hole. I put metal wire around everything to protect from gophers and rabbits, and when they get a little larger I cut the above ground portion off because rabbits are no longer a threat to the larger branches. The plastic wire you're seeing is probably my shade cloth to help things get acclimated while the canopy fills in.

Bill,

I had my dogs dig holes at the base of the Bottle Palm and the Carpoxylon. Luckily they've continued to grow with no problems.

Mike,

The Pinanga caesia has not seen Winter yet and I assume it will die. It was gifted to Paul from Jack Sayers but Paul didn't have the heart to kill it and gave it to me to do the honors. Post 1 photo 4, you're seeing a carport at the top of the hill.

Ari,

I'm removing the Paulownia because they are decidious and the cycles of them leafing out and dropping leaves messes with the acclimation of all the palms. I need everygreen canopy on this side of the rainforest which is why I've planted a couple of Royal Palms under the Paulownias to take over. From what little I know about bamboo, we can grow a lot of Dendrocalamus. They're very fast growers apparently.

David S.,

I have drip irrigation done to the side yard, the rainforest, the orchard, the purple gardens, and the bamboo. Everything else in the canyon and on the rocky ridge gets hand watered. The drip irrigation is really the secret to growing healthy trees here in SoCal, in my opinion. It's a little harder to get them established and they often need some supplimental hand watering when young, but once you force the roots to go down to get the water, they love it and are very resilient to the sun and santa ana winds.

Keith,

I think the apple I pictured is Golden Dorsett. I have an Anna also. They grow very well and fruit several times per year no matter how warm the weather is. The fruit and flower nonstop.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matt, I am glad to see there is another poster here that thinks one or two years of data can equate to a self proclaimed factual statement "It will grow here!". :)

In all seriousness, you certainly do have a green thumb.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Matt, it took me two days to go through each photo but I finally finished - and I can only say that I salute you for creating such a botanical garden!

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

Hey Matt,

What about the Sabal yapa? How long has it been in the ground? I have one in the ground (in the ground since May 09) but it is really small. It grows new fronds steadily but doesn't get bigger. I believe this palm get's huge.

Mike Hegger

Northwest Clairemont

San Diego, California

4 miles from coast

Matty!

You're an animal! Everything looks dynamite. It is so awesome that you're able to pull of pritchardia, hyophorbe(s), and carpoxylon, so unbelievable! Not to mention, your "version" of Prestonia! Why stop there?

Why not go corphya, dictyocaryum, and cryo renda? You might be just the one in ca to do it! Love the royals, chambos, and the complementing plants as well. Looking clean Matty!

-eric

Living in the valley of the dirt people in the inland empire, "A mullet on every head and a methlab in every kitchen." If you can't afford to live in the tropics, then bring the tropics to you!

Matt I your garden looks great. And, I can appreciate how much work it has been. It is a great thing to have a vision and see it come to life. I am just curious, but will the vacant land around your place turn into houses some day?

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg