IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Central Florida may get some much needed rain

tank

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cgi-bin/gfdltc2.cgi?time=2010102106-nineteen19l&field=Sea+Level+Pressure&hour=Animation

Press the FWD button.

The steering for this storm is not very certain yet, but the long range forecast is expecting a turn to the east. Right now, expecting landfall on the Fl east coast on the 26th or 27th. October storms tend to be a bit unpredictable due to the lack of steering, but the models are starting to line up...

Gotta take the good with the bad I suppose.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

HRWF has it further south as of today.

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cgi-bin/hwrftc2.cgi?time=2010102106-nineteen19l&field=Sea+Level+Pressure&hour=Animation

I've posted the site before, but here are a few of the storm tracking models animated. They update every 6 or 12 hours.

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/tcgengifs/

South Florida Water Management Districts Storm Models.

http://www.sfwmd.gov/portal/page/portal/xweb%20weather/hurricane%20model%20plots

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

With the $@#%*& drought we've got going, I'll take some wind if it means rain. That said, I'll believe it when I see it.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

It looks like it's following a track similar to Wilma's in 2005. Hopefully it won't be a major hurricane when it nears FLA.

The latest track has it going northwest over the Yucatan and being downgraded into a weak low pressure area in the western Gulf. I was hoping for some rain but October may give us 0.00" of rain or 1.18" for September and October combined. How much longer can 2 day a week watering restrictions possibly last?

Keep an eye on it, these October storms tend to meander and the forecast will change significantly from day to day. I still think it will give us something as long as it doesn't take a more westward track before it makes its probable turn east. Fingers crossed.

My yard is dead and everything else is seriously stressed. We had a day with temps in the mid/upper 80s and a humidity reading at 28%. This was after a month of no rain. Not good for most Florida landscapes.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

My coastal location keeps dewpoints up, but it is still so very dry. I am not so convinced this storm will dump needed rain here - perhaps far enough away to "dry" us out! as they often say.........that said, it is a long run guys so get used to it. The long term is well below normal precip and warmer than normal. YUK! :drool:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

I hate this time of year. My time off of work consists of dragging the hose around. I can't keep up, things are really suffering even though I've mulched heavily.

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Bren, you loved it just a few weeks ago. You wanted fall-like conditions remember? I'd love 90 degrees, 90% humidity and daily 40-50% daily rain chances right about now.