Sign in to follow this  
ghar41

FREEZE DAMAGE (early indications)

ghar41

I realize it is early, but I have seen the dark splotches and curled frond edges before...

I don't think I lost any but most of my A. c. "Illawarra's" will likely need to replace a lot of their crowns after this last weather event.  It appears there is enough damage to the leaves that they will look very untidy in the spring.

Also, small dark spots on Wodeytia but if that is the extent of the damage I will be thrilled.   Some of others with dark spotting include P. rupicola, R. rivularis and Caryota urens.

All Parajubeas (TvT, Sunka and Cocoides) look untouched.  C. gigas still without a spot on it.  Bismarkia's are turning more purple, not sure what's going on there.  

Not as bad as '90 but this looks like the worst since then.

iwan

From my colder location.

Bizmarkia (damage on older frond, appears to be getting worse).

freeze06-forum2.jpg

The strap leaf on the left appears to show some damage, but overall the rest of the fronds look OK so far.

freeze06-forum3.jpg

Improvised protection device (IPD) for the Bismarkia.  

freeze06-forum1.jpg

The 15g pot sits on top of the three 1g pots to allow room for the fronds.  This morning I measured the crown low temp as 28.3F (compared to 24.8F on top of the blanket).  If the temperature differential holds, the lowest temp at the crown this week was 26.3F.  The low temps for the last four days on top of the blanket, 22.7F, 24.5F, 23.6F, 24.8F, with 12+ hours below at/below freezing.  Even though the blanket is under 70% (I think) shade cloth, it still had heavy frost on it the first three mornings.  Temp in shade house ~1F warmer than outside air temp.

iwan

Phoenix roebelenii x reclinata appears to have slight dark spots on the one frond that comes closest to the open front of the shade house.  Otherwise looks fine.  No protection, except for the shade cloth.

freeze06-forum4.jpg

A. cunninghamiana, protected with rope lights and overhead cover appears to have less foliage damage than I saw last year at 28F (with no overhead cover).  Lowest recorded crown temp 28.3F.  No picture for this guy.  I expect much more foliage damage to show up over the next couple of weeks.