IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ft Lauderdale Weekend Trip

Jeff in St Pete

Excellent recap Jeff! I like how you wrote 'abandoned' parking lot :lol::unsure:

The Syagrus sp. is orinocensis I believe which is supposedly synonymous with stenopetala. Rick and I looked it up and I was elated because I bought a stenopetala & could find no info on it.

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

great shots but who is this "jeff searle" guy i keep hearing about? :hmm:

You know, you stayed in my house for one night, we fed you, you slept in a nice clean bed and you drank my booze! AND.......the toilet had to be cleaned after you left!

You think you could show a little respect? :huh:

it was matt. :mellow:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Jeff, thanks for all the posts and the nice comments. You are welcome anytime! The palm you questioned is Heterospathe elata. I have a few in the garden. Once established they rival a coconut's growth. Great palm for taking the wind!

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

Great photos Jeff, I am envious of all those lovely plants you got to see. No gardens here remotely that beautiful or varied.

Peachy

Peachy, It was a nice plant-related holiday. I'm grateful that I had the opportunity to explore two of the best private gardens in South Florida!

• Upvote 1

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Thanks for posting, Jeff... I have been waiting for your pics. Pity that you didn't take more at Jeff Searle's place, as I would love to see his collections (other than palms). I bet they are mind blowing... I know what it is like though.... too much to take in. Sometimes, it is nice just to enjoy the place....

Rick's place is nice too... Everything looks so perfect :)

Regards, Ari :)

Ari, it was my fault that we got to Jeff's place a little too late. Bren and I were sitting around chatting at the hotel on Friday afternoon while I was working on my laptop. My computer said it was 4:00pm so I thought we still had plenty of time. A couple seconds later Bren says "It's 6:00, we should get over to Jeff's place before it gets too late". Shocked, I looked at the time on my laptop again and realized that was Costa Rica time! Why can't computers reset themselves to the correct local time like cell phones do? :blink: Anyway by the time we got to Jeff's, the light was fading fast. I could have easily spent a couple hours walking around and photographing his incredible garden. I regret that I didn't have more time.

• Upvote 1

Excellent recap Jeff! I like how you wrote 'abandoned' parking lot :lol::unsure:

The Syagrus sp. is orinocensis I believe which is supposedly synonymous with stenopetala. Rick and I looked it up and I was elated because I bought a stenopetala & could find no info on it.

Thanks Bren! I couldn't remember that species name.

• Upvote 1

Jeff, thank you for the tour. I have not been to Rick's place, even though he mentioned that I could stop by for a tour when in So Fla. His garden looks amazing, rivaling any.

Jeff and Andrea Searle are great hosts and Andrea's desserts are awesome. Jeff is not such a bad guy. When I visited earlier this year I mentioned that I was interested in some Kentiopsis oliviformis seeds and he went to great lengths to ensure that I got some. Jeff, sorry that you ended up with wet feet (the fields were flooded!).

searleandseeds.jpg

searleandseeds2.jpg

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Jeff, thanks for all the posts and the nice comments. You are welcome anytime! The palm you questioned is Heterospathe elata. I have a few in the garden. Once established they rival a coconut's growth. Great palm for taking the wind!

You're welcome Rick! Thanks for the id, that's a beautiful palm.

• Upvote 1

Robert,

I just got a real kick looking at those two pictures of me collecting the seeds. Especially the last one. Those seed better germinate for you! But...my pleasure.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Ari, it was my fault that we got to Jeff's place a little too late. Bren and I were sitting around chatting at the hotel on Friday afternoon while I was working on my laptop. My computer said it was 4:00pm so I thought we still had plenty of time. A couple seconds later Bren says "It's 6:00, we should get over to Jeff's place before it gets too late". Shocked, I looked at the time on my laptop again and realized that was Costa Rica time! Why can't computers reset themselves to the correct local time like cell phones do? :blink: Anyway by the time we got to Jeff's, the light was fading fast. I could have easily spent a couple hours walking around and photographing his incredible garden. I regret that I didn't have more time.

Easily done, Jeff... It is so easy to loose track of time, especially when the computer is telling you the 'wrong' time. Thanks for posting what you have anyway :)

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Jeff, thank you for the tour. I have not been to Rick's place, even though he mentioned that I could stop by for a tour when in So Fla. His garden looks amazing, rivaling any.

Jeff and Andrea Searle are great hosts and Andrea's desserts are awesome. Jeff is not such a bad guy. When I visited earlier this year I mentioned that I was interested in some Kentiopsis oliviformis seeds and he went to great lengths to ensure that I got some. Jeff, sorry that you ended up with wet feet (the fields were flooded!).

searleandseeds.jpg

searleandseeds2.jpg

:o

:o

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Fantastic thread, fantastic palms and plants, thanks for posting.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

This thread should be in the main forum!

The Plumeria is 'Petite Pink' from the look of things.

Awesome gardens!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Thanks for the many pictures. Makes me nostalgic for Florida. That Pelagodoxa is awesome.

What clumping palm is that in the second pic of post 37 to the left?

I'll trade places with you, Vince! I'm nostalgic for SoCal...this garden I tend comes complete with Joeys & and Pelagodoxas also.

Nah, you wouldn't leave San Jaun Capistrano, would you?:winkie:

Paul, Palm Dr.

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

Nice tour. The photos of the Beccariophoenix at Jeff's place are magnificent. These seem very large. Are they all Beccariophoenix "windows", in all photos? Jeff, can you pipe in?

Nice tour. The photos of the Beccariophoenix at Jeff's place are magnificent. These seem very large. Are they all Beccariophoenix "windows", in all photos? Jeff, can you pipe in?

Hey Mike,

Yes, all the very large ones are the window form. They've been seeding for years now. My largest B. alfredii is about 10' now, out near the front yard.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks Jeff. I would really like to see a photo of the alfredii. I think you have one of the most mature one that I know of. If you could post a pic, it would be most appreciated! I think a lot of people would like to see the beaut.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the many pictures. Makes me nostalgic for Florida. That Pelagodoxa is awesome.

What clumping palm is that in the second pic of post 37 to the left?

Sorry I lost track of this post. Thanks for all the nice comments.

Vince, In the second pic of post 37, I can only see one clumping palm (Pytchosperma) which is on the right side of the telephone pole. Which palm were you asking about?

Daryl, thanks for the Plumeria id.

Jeff S. I agree with Mike, we would love to see a photo of your B. alfredii! Did I somehow miss it when I was there?

• Upvote 1

searleandseeds.jpg

searleandseeds2.jpg

Jeff,

Is that an Iriartea sp. in the background in the first pic or just a foxtail? The leaflets look larger like an Iriartea.

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

Can't remember what this is but it has the fattest crownshaft I have ever seen.

post-747-028628600 1286845987_thumb.jpg post-747-017887300 1286845999_thumb.jpg

This looks like Dictyosperma album, possibly var. rubrum.

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a