IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Garden Visitors

Daryl

The Night Tiger, Boiga irregularis, is a very successful hunter. It was accidentally introduced into some of the Micronesian islands and caused havoc with their native bird life. They're native here though so the native wildlife is adapted to cope. Frequent visitors to my garden.

ap-n-121209-23.jpg

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

A few more moths from my yard.  I've now photographed over 540 species of moths that have visited the yard.

Southern Flannel Moth ♂ - Megalopyge opercularis (Megalopygidae)

M.opercularis.20170626-01.jpg

Black-waved Flannel Moth ♂ - Lagoa crispata (Megalopygidae)

L.crispata.20140703-01.jpg

Saddleback Caterpillar Moth - Acharia stimulea (Limacodidae)

A.stimulea.20170628-01.jpg

• Upvote 6

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

There's some really great looking moths around but I get lost trying to get IDs for them. It's good you managed those. I like Preying Mantises as well, they always show character.

We have a lot of mantids here in the new garden. And we see a lot of these stick insects...

DSC_3153-2.thumb.jpg.63760b0b815ad8dbdf2

DSC_3154.thumb.jpg.46c4b5d9237cab65d1b08

• Upvote 5

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

A friend sent me this picture with a caption: Tim was awakened by noises on our deck last week - and looked outside. In astonishment, he grabbed his camera.. and can you believe it? Mama Lynx and her SEVEN kits!! She called to them and they all lined up right outside in front of where he was standing (he was inside the screen door!) Amazing ALASKA WILD LIFE!!! (They proceeded to run and play on our deck, and then in our yard.

One thing I noticed in the picture they all have their summer coats on. In Fall they will be sporting a gorgeous white and brown fluffy long coat. 

Don’t you want to just play with them, LOL! 

22089322_174820806416555_8311489828418807979_n.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 10

13 hours ago, Monòver said:

Homo sapiens eating palms. Tipical wild life in Spain.:floor:

Terrible pests.  Can you spray something for them?

• Upvote 2

Tom

hardiestpalms.com

Garden pinks:

Rosy Maple Moth - Dryocampa rubicunda (Saturniidae)

D.rubicunda.20140512-01.jpg

Chickweed Geometer - Haematopis grataria (Geometridae)

H.grataria.20150825-02.jpg

Pink-shaded Fern Moth - Callopistria mollissima (Noctuidae)

C.mollissima.20140530-01.jpg

Pink Prominent - Hyparpax aurora (Notodontidae)

H.aurora.20160623-01.jpg

• Upvote 5

Tom

hardiestpalms.com

On 9/28/2017, 8:55:24, Daryl said:

We have a lot of mantids here in the new garden. And we see a lot of these stick insects...

DSC_3153-2.thumb.jpg.63760b0b815ad8dbdf2

DSC_3154.thumb.jpg.46c4b5d9237cab65d1b08

Daryl, looks like a juvenile Titan Stick Insect, Acrophylla titan, they're one of the longest insects in the world. They're more slender than the  other species you have in your area, the Goliath Stick Insect, Eurycnema goliath, which although slightly shorter is much bulkier.  We have the Darwin Stick Insect, Eurycnema osiris, which is almost the same size as the Goliath. Just by unfortunate coincidence I found a female Eurycnema osiris drowned in one of my ponds yesterday morning. Must have fallen in during the night. They're not good swimmers. Females that don't mate still lay eggs but only produce female offspring (clones). If they do mate it's the usual 50:50 male:female ratio of offspring.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working my way through this thread and only on page 3, but I'm already dead! I'm dead from all the incredible animals!! :yay::wub: If there's one thing I love more than tropical flora, it's animals (especially tropical animals - ESPECIALLY tropical birds). If one of the Aussies posts a photo of a wild black palm cocky, I'll die a second time! :yay: They're the most magnificent parrots in the world! My friend has one that someone GAVE to him (in the U.S. they go for around $20k). He is a very special bird, and ever so sweet. Here are some photos of him and I. I kinda love him. ^_^ Last photo is my own "domestic wildlife", Bailey the blue & yellow macaw. He's a pain in my bum, but he's family :rolleyes: Been with us for 10 years this month! Macaws have that Latin sass! Black cockies are simply kind and gentle. Can't say that for all cockies, though! :o Especially not the Asiatic cockies! They'll put a hurtin' on ya!

I've only just started perusing the Off Topic posts here at PT, and I'll have to share my Floridian wildlife as I come across it!

samson.jpg

3283668388_905abd0147_z.jpg

3282935847_6b02ecfe19_z.jpg

3282953233_b17c6fbf5a_z.jpg

3283746994_e9e000f72c.jpg

bailey.jpg

• Upvote 7

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

On 5/2/2015, 11:45:49, Neil C said:

I've found these in the garden before but never this BIG. I think they are the larvae of what are called Christmas Beetles. Thankfully I think they only eat decaying matter.

post-6795-0-68654800-1430624619_thumb.jppost-6795-0-90723800-1430624639_thumb.jppost-6795-0-40847900-1430624668_thumb.jp

Regards Neil

My chooks would go BANANAS for those things!! Nom nom nom!!

On 10/23/2017, 5:46:12, dmc said:

welcomed visitor today, I googled it as coopers hawk what do you think ?

20171023_174224.jpg

20171023_174209.jpg

Hard to tell from these photos, but more likely a red-shouldered hawk.

• Upvote 1

Oops, pardon my multiple comments. I forgot to post my photo of white ibis of the U.S. Here are some I saw on the shore. Eudocimus albus, completely different genus than the pesky Aussie ibis. Our ibis wouldn't think of checking the trash for food, but prefers to probe the ground for grubs, especially after heavy rains, when the ground is saturated and the grubs and worms come up to breathe. When at the beach, they enjoy sand fleas, also known as mole crabs.

ibis.jpg

• Upvote 5

20 hours ago, Missi said:

Hard to tell from these photos, but more likely a red-shouldered hawk.

yes missi i think i would agree with your id , would have liked to get a better pic such a nice looking bird

• Upvote 1

Here's a photo I took of a red-shouldered hawk KIND OF in my back yard...at Audubon's Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary, a nature preserve not far from me. If you're ever in SW Florida, I highly suggest a visit here. There's a 2 mi. long boardwalk through some of the many beautiful ecosystems of FL. I also suggest you hit me up so we can meet and geek out over palms and nature for a bit. ^_^

5385665303_d0c639959a_z.jpg

• Upvote 5

On 25/10/2017 15:21:25, Missi said:

I'm working my way through this thread and only on page 3, but I'm already dead! I'm dead from all the incredible animals!! :yay::wub: If there's one thing I love more than tropical flora, it's animals (especially tropical animals - ESPECIALLY tropical birds). If one of the Aussies posts a photo of a wild black palm cocky, I'll die a second time! :yay: They're the most magnificent parrots in the world! My friend has one that someone GAVE to him (in the U.S. they go for around $20k). He is a very special bird, and ever so sweet. Here are some photos of him and I. I kinda love him. ^_^ Last photo is my own "domestic wildlife", Bailey the blue & yellow macaw. He's a pain in my bum, but he's family :rolleyes: Been with us for 10 years this month! Macaws have that Latin sass! Black cockies are simply kind and gentle. Can't say that for all cockies, though! :o Especially not the Asiatic cockies! They'll put a hurtin' on ya!

I've only just started perusing the Off Topic posts here at PT, and I'll have to share my Floridian wildlife as I come across it!

samson.jpg

3283668388_905abd0147_z.jpg

3282935847_6b02ecfe19_z.jpg

3282953233_b17c6fbf5a_z.jpg

3283746994_e9e000f72c.jpg

Wow Missi,i love them!!!!:wub:

The parrots, of course

On 1/10/2017 3:18:46, tjwalters said:

Edited by Monòver
  • Upvote 2

Yesterday began our unusually chilly cold front. I was heading out to pick up more hurricane debris when I came across this fella sunning himself, a red rat snake also known as corn snake.

IMG_9754.JPG

• Upvote 7

• 3 weeks later...

A handful of sultanas on my backyard table managed to get the attention of one of the neighbourhood Pied Currawongs.

xIXk2CR.jpg

e0Egdb2.jpg

Edited by steve99
  • Upvote 4

While disposing an Archontophoenix leaf, there was this orb weaver that had managed to make a nest on the inner surface of the boot. I did let it live, but I took it off my property. Although it's completely harmless to us, it can be mildly annoying to walk face first into its web while this thing sits in the center.

To gauge the size, the piece of wood it sits on is about 1.5 inches wide.

3lrZe2U.jpg

EwhykpL.jpg

Edited by Pando
  • Upvote 5

On August 23, 2017 at 7:25:28 PM, scottgt said:

These are hummingbird chicks.I am not sure of the species yet. It is difficult to imagine how tiny this nest is. The outer edge of the nest is 2 inches at most and is made of moss bits, spider webs and some type of fine plant fiber.

The first photo has taken the day they hatched ( August 14) .You can see remnants of the egg shell on one side of the nest.

IMG_1154.JPG.a4c5ba017b8a490dcd2df08da8a

The second photo was taken August 22 and they have their eyes open.

IMG_1199.PNG.df489057b6068413acd7e558b1e

This was the day they left the nest Sept. 4 . They are Violet Sabrewing Hummingbirds, the largest hummingbird species in Guatemala.

IMG_1264.thumb.jpg.042e4efee8363c1fc4460

• Upvote 6

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Orange Spider outside my window.  She repairing her web from the downpour last night. 

DSC_0002.JPG

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 4

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

Steller Jay visiting the garden.  What a Steller Jay sounds like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0S3NhhV1js   These are the sounds I wake up to every morning. 

DSC_0028.JPG

Stunning bird, not so beautiful vocalizations :hmm: LOL

• Upvote 1

Missi I usually get a group of them all at once when I put out peanuts they can be quite noisy.  When their wings are open they are very bright blue. Here another interesting video of them from the net. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaxK5z56kQk They also travel in packs with Scrub Jay which are also blue. 

• Upvote 1

..A few pictures of some of the hardest workers in the garden, my BIAs ( Bees In Action) making their yearly return to the bee hotels I constructed last year from some cuts id saved when I took down the nasty White lead Tree in the backyard earlier last year. 

Here at the house, I have counted at least 6 species of bees, most solitary, that come and go through the Spring - Fall. I also consider them much more valuable than Honey Bees as far as pollination is concerned. 

Honey bees tend to only appear earlier in the morning and practically disappear once it starts getting hot. These guys, ( not sure on the species) and the Leaf Cutters (among others) are active all day, only slowing down when it is over 105F. They also aren't afraid of wandering into the shade house to get some pollen. 

As far as issues when standing near their dwellings hanging at about forehead level, they'll buzz you but I have yet to get stung.. pretty tolerant id say, more curious about what is spying them than anything... If you listen closely, you can hear them buzzing happily as they move about their holes.

Anyhow, pictures..

DSCN3563.JPG.4ce469273c86abbedad2cc35486DSCN3576.JPG.95864cfdf8211d3685b542f7453DSCN3567.JPG.4a4f624701c8dde84b9f0238c5dDSCN3577.JPG.2a4e39074704439c2893bf562dcDSCN3584.JPG.87812c3d9d4e5849701f74341dbDSCN3588.JPG.4c23c54bb406d075d8dd73678c5
^_^ -Nathan

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2018, 11:13:54, Palm crazy said:

Steller Jay visiting the garden.  What a Steller Jay sounds like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0S3NhhV1js   These are the sounds I wake up to every morning. 

DSC_0028.JPG

Nice bird! Not a good sound to wake up to though!

Where I live, the mornings are always filled with birdsong...some are great and some are hard to live with!

Usually the kookaburras are first off the mark just before sunrise

Then we get a cacophony of calls from many smaller birds just on sunrise

Then they stop and we get Pied Butcher Birds and Magpies, which are the best way to start the day...Butcher Bird song and Magpie warble

On some mornings though, it is not so good...

Australian Ravens and Sulphur crested Cockatoos ...

Through the day we get many more, but one of the more distinctive is the Eastern Whip Bird

Daryl

Edited by Daryl
  • Upvote 4

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

4 hours ago, Daryl said:

Nice bird! Not a good sound to wake up to though!

Where I live, the mornings are always filled with birdsong...some are great and some are hard to live with!

Usually the kookaburras are first off the mark just before sunrise

Then we get a cacophony of calls from many smaller birds just on sunrise

Then they stop and we get Pied Butcher Birds and Magpies, which are the best way to start the day...Butcher Bird song and Magpie warble

On some mornings though, it is not so good...

Australian Ravens and Sulphur crested Cockatoos ...

Through the day we get many more, but one of the more distinctive is the Eastern Whip Bird

Daryl

Heavenly!! :wub::wub::wub: