IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Garden Visitors

Daryl

6 hours ago, steve99 said:

I took this pic last weekend in the rain.   I threw a few handfuls of bird seed on the back table and this group of Rainbow Lorikeets appeared from nowhere.  

24aydxj.jpg

I am jealous. The only wild life in my garden is my two dogs:floor:

Mokatti came to Doranakanda gardens and becomes a new member of the family (see Mokatti's story in a next post)

IMG_0540.thumb.JPG.319f1b938b62ee76ce208

• Upvote 5

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

• 1 month later...

Pied Butcher Bird hanging out in my Dypsis 215 today...

DSC_4652.thumb.jpg.7e655e953a2e54f7dfb7c

And an Eastern Rosella sunning himself late this afternoon...

DSC_4714.thumb.jpg.94e9ba8f118c24573e9b5

• Upvote 6

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

On 08/08/2016, 9:58:31, peachy said:
On 08/08/2016, 8:31:55, Cindy Adair said:

I recalled this great topic so am glad to see it again.

Here are a couple from Puerto Rico today 

and one from outside our hotel in Darwin Australia on the recent IPS post tour.

DSCN3594.thumb.jpg.7ef76b039aa7bcce80ea9

Lots more wildlife on that trip for another thread!

I

I haven't seen a ring-tailed possum since I left Melbourne. Even the common brush-tailed possums are rare around here lately.

This one's a Northern Brushtail Possum, Trichosurus arnhemensis. The Common Brushtail Possum is Trichosurus vulpecula.

You can see mange on its face. They have adapted so well to life amongst humans that they over populate and live in stress. It makes them very susceptible to mange which they pick up from dogs and cats.

They're always hanging around my garden.

pt-n05012622.jpg

• Upvote 5

"Love" is a very wide ranging word with many meanings. Rufous Owls (Ninox rufa) at my place also 'love' possums. Preferably fresh, and with the bitey end removed at which they are very proficient.

pt-n-07040414.jpg

• Upvote 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2017, 6:37:37, tropicbreeze said:

This one's a Northern Brushtail Possum, Trichosurus arnhemensis. The Common Brushtail Possum is Trichosurus vulpecula.

You can see mange on its face. They have adapted so well to life amongst humans that they over populate and live in stress. It makes them very susceptible to mange which they pick up from dogs and cats.

They're always hanging around my garden.

pt-n05012622.jpg

Great photo!

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Glossy Black Cockatoo enjoying the Allocasuarina..saw all three local species of Black cockatoos last weekend...not a very common occurrence!

DSC_4922-2.thumb.jpg.336c45616363500b081

DSC_4848.thumb.jpg.3a1f29029542a3a344b25

• Upvote 4

Wow, more great nature photos here!  I always return to this thread whenever someone adds something.  It cheers up the day.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

One of the common 'jewel spiders' in my garden, Gasteracantha westringi, Spiny Orbweaver. View of the top side and the under side.

ap-n-121102-04.jpg

ap-n-121102-02.jpg

• Upvote 3

Seeing clear, dramatic photos, often of animals unfamiliar to me, is one of my favorite bonuses of PalmTalk! Wow and thanks to all! 

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

It was quite cold earlier today, so I wasn't surprised to see this Red Necked Wallaby sunning itself in clear patch out the back.

dS2dif9.jpg

• Upvote 4

Tawny Frogmouth doing his best to look like a tree branch...

DSC_5090.thumb.jpg.343b27f3c760a569d3eb6

• Upvote 7

Little Red Desert Tree Frog, Litoria rubella. These have a wide range, from the north coast right down into the central desert regions and much of Australia. It's also in New Guinea. For a couple of years though, there's been talk that the species will be split. The desert one is supposed to retain the name and this northern one to be renamed, but still in Litoria genus. Don't know where exactly the dividing line will go in such a large area.

fr-n-130329-36.jpg

• Upvote 4

These are hummingbird chicks.I am not sure of the species yet. It is difficult to imagine how tiny this nest is. The outer edge of the nest is 2 inches at most and is made of moss bits, spider webs and some type of fine plant fiber.

The first photo has taken the day they hatched ( August 14) .You can see remnants of the egg shell on one side of the nest.

IMG_1154.JPG.a4c5ba017b8a490dcd2df08da8a

The second photo was taken August 22 and they have their eyes open.

IMG_1199.PNG.df489057b6068413acd7e558b1e

• Upvote 4

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

1 minute ago, tropicbreeze said:

That's really small. How long do they stay in the nest?

About 21 days . 

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

These folks are taking over South Florida lock, stock and barrel:

What you look for is what is looking

I ignore the species, and I just discovered today the article about bats and palms in "Palms" magazine.

Here in our Morning garden, during the day:
P1060602.thumb.JPG.e00a3b26c979b172c5b64

• Upvote 5

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

On August 23, 2017 at 7:25:28 PM, scottgt said:

These are hummingbird chicks.I am not sure of the species yet. It is difficult to imagine how tiny this nest is. The outer edge of the nest is 2 inches at most and is made of moss bits, spider webs and some type of fine plant fiber.

The first photo has taken the day they hatched ( August 14) .You can see remnants of the egg shell on one side of the nest.

IMG_1154.JPG.a4c5ba017b8a490dcd2df08da8a

The second photo was taken August 22 and they have their eyes open.

IMG_1199.PNG.df489057b6068413acd7e558b1e

Today

IMG_1242.thumb.PNG.7a8edf1a133cfe7c69216

• Upvote 2

Philippe, that looks like a Lesser Short-nosed Fruit Bat, Cynopterus brachyotis. Fairly common across southern and south east Asia.

Scott, not bad growth for a week. They must be getting a good feed. Not long now before they take off.

8 hours ago, tropicbreeze said:

Philippe, that looks like a Lesser Short-nosed Fruit Bat, Cynopterus brachyotis. Fairly common across southern and south east Asia.

Scott, not bad growth for a week. They must be getting a good feed. Not long now before they take off.

Two days ago I had to brace the nest with a small branch. It was leaning at a precarious angle due to the weight of the chicks. I still have not been able to catch the parents near the nest to identify the species. Hummingbirds become very insectivorous while raising chicks. Small spiders are a favorite food.

That's common with a lot of Honey-eaters. They get carbohydrates from the nectar but then also need protein for growth.

This really is one of the, if not the, best threads on Palmtalk! I love seeing all the diversity. 

Makes me ashamed for not taking more pictures myself! It's very nice to see the iguanas make a comeback!