IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The 12th Annual Fall Searle Brothers Plant Extravaganza

Palmarum

- 12:41PM: The Bar-Be-Que production line never saw rest until they went through several boxes of hamburgers and hotdogs.

RDG2010-10-02_12-41-23.jpg

- 12:43PM: All three grills were going at the same time. The faithful volunteer team of cooks and preparers not only got the food ready, but they maintained the seating area and kept that giant red cooler full of sodas and drinks.

RDG2010-10-02_12-43-23.jpg

- "Zzz... zzz..." Volunteer and FM. Rob van der Borg (Borgy230) compiled all the remaining crotons into one small group closer to the sidewalk and after wards needed a nap.

RDG2010-10-02_12-43-59.jpg

- 12:45PM: Across from the crotons, the foliage plants and smaller Aroids were getting thinned out by Saturday afternoon. Near the end of the day, the tables were condensed down to three and the Cordylines were reduced to a handful of plants.

RDG2010-10-02_12-45-32.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 12:45PM: "Hmm, I got that one, that one, and those three." On occasion the actual name of a croton cultivar or plant variety will promote the sale of the plant, regardless of how the plant appears. The common names or the pronunciation of the botanical names will go far in connecting people to the plants. This happens usually when they can find a name they identify with or have fun while trying to pronounce it.

RDG2010-10-02_12-45-37.jpg

- The intersection of the two main roads of the sales area reached capacity on a regular basis. This area is often used to determine how busy it is at different times of the day. It is also fun to watch how those with full carts move around each other and observe similar traffic patterns to that of a highway.

RDG2010-10-02_12-45-53.jpg

- 12:47PM: Almost two hours of lunch time had past and the barn still had limited seating.

RDG2010-10-02_12-47-55.jpg

- 1:00PM: The clock struck One in the afternoon and the event atmosphere was in high gear. All the different sales areas has customers with certain ones experiencing heavy foot traffic, not to mention the lunch crowd at the barn. The Louisiana Irises were a popular side group of plants during this Extravaganza. The red variety featured in the lower right of the image is called 'Red Velvet Elvis' and has very large flowers. Try to spot the Forum member in the photo who has repeatedly traveled from Arizona to attend the event, year after year.

RDG2010-10-02_13-00-02.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 1:00PM: Jeff's neighbor Jill volunteered in the holding area for a while where she ran things with military efficiency. I dare you to try and sneak something out of here that wasn't yours...

RDG2010-10-02_13-00-07.jpg

- "Uh oh, traffic jam." When customers stop to look at plants while others are trying to get by can cause congestion. It usually works itself out after a few minutes.

RDG2010-10-02_13-00-31.jpg

- 1:26PM: The landscape plants along the main road were easy to restock during the sale, as we had plenty of stock in most of the different species. I remember when only the near side was used for plants years ago, now both sides are full.

RDG2010-10-02_13-26-35.jpg

- This shot was taken three seconds after the one above, after turning around real fast. I usually like to get long range, depth of field shots while high up on ladders, but the locations where I place the ladders were filled with plants this fall.

RDG2010-10-02_13-26-38.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

this is bogus! what kinda lunatic would post loooooong drawn-out threads of the same old pix time after time? :angry:

:blink::blush:

oooops,uh,well,er,lets just forget i said that. carry on. :mellow:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

- 1:31PM: I walked up closer to the checkout area and got up on some blocks to get a area view of the activity of those coming in and others in line heading out. A group of outgoing plants can be everything from a single, hand-held item to a few trailers loaded with trees; and everything in between.

RDG2010-10-02_13-31-34.jpg

- I slowly turned to the left to capture the motion in between the orange fence of the holding area and the block filled with the full sun palms. The larger trees often go out on their own trailers in the 'center lane' while customers and volunteers take plants from the holding area on the left and load them on to awaiting trailers or empty carts. The Royal Poinciana, that was planted long ago before anyone can remember, does a great job of shading the entire area.

RDG2010-10-02_13-31-42.jpg

- 1:48PM: One customer with large plants and even larger plans in mind, needed their own trailers to start pulling everything together. They started at the side entrance to the shadehouse where they picked up two of the large Satakentia liukiuensis that are now leaning to the left on the back trailer.

RDG2010-10-02_13-48-02.jpg

- 1:50PM: The tractor on the right idled while the trailers were loaded, the crowd began to once again fill in the main road, browsing the landscape plants. You can see the 'hole' at the center of the Royal Poinciana that had to be cut to allow for the power lines to pass.

RDG2010-10-02_13-50-17.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 1:50PM: The customer getting the large Satakentia palms, also decided on a Yellow Malayan Dwarf Coconut, Cocos nucifera cv., and a Double Spindle Palm, Hyophorbe verschaffeltii.

RDG2010-10-02_13-50-44.jpg

- 1:51PM: The only 25 gallon Red Sealing Wax Palm, Cyrtostachys renda, out for sale became another impulse buy like its fellow 10 gallon the day before.

RDG2010-10-02_13-51-57.jpg

- 2:01PM: Volunteer Shane Tanner drives the load down and through the checkout. In the Army Reserve, Shane drives all sorts of heavy engineering equipment for building roads, runways, etc. so this was no trouble for him.

RDG2010-10-02_14-01-31.jpg

- Shane takes the load down the middle as the inside lane gets longer. In the foreground, volunteer Rachel writes up an order of Mammey crotons and Purslane.

RDG2010-10-02_14-01-46.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 2:02PM: This one trailer held loads belonging to different customers, and I am still not sure how they kept it sorted separately. On the back of the trailer towards the corner, a 3 gallon Chambeyronia macrocarpa var. hookeri had just opened a new leaf as of late Friday. I knew it wasn't going to last long until someone bought it.

RDG2010-10-02_14-02-18.jpg

- Having three registers running kept things running smoothly at the checkout. Volunteers Edy and Kathy kept on top of things.

RDG2010-10-02_14-02-33.jpg

- 2:03PM: Shane told Thomas to move one of the Satakentia palms over. He didn't move it very far...

RDG2010-10-02_14-03-13.jpg

- I headed out towards the parking lot to check to see what was going on with gatekeeper Donnie. I turned to find the line continuing to get longer.

RDG2010-10-02_14-03-30.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 2:05PM: After checking on Donnie, I checked to see how the parking lot was compared to earlier in the week when it was nearly flooded. As I passed through the gate I noticed FM. Ron Kiefert (moose knuckle) on his way in.

RDG2010-10-02_14-05-52.jpg

- 2:08PM: The near-hit by that tropical storm just about flooded the grass area and almost filled the canal on the right. If it was any later, it would have been a wet Extravaganza.

RDG2010-10-02_14-08-59.jpg

- 2:12PM: I almost got run over while staring through the viewfinder taking photos. Time to head back to the shadehouse where it's safe.

RDG2010-10-02_14-12-11.jpg

- 2:15PM: The continuation or beginning of a palm collection. Ron takes a moment to talk palms with a customer who already had a decent grouping of palms on his cart. From what I can identify from the photo, he had in addition to the Triangle Palm, Dypsis decaryi, a Licuala cabalionii, Syagrus cearensis, Pseudophoenix sargentii, Corypha utan, Normanbya normanbyi and one or two gallon palms I can't see too well, maybe a Cyrtostachys elegans.

RDG2010-10-02_14-15-41.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 2:15PM: It takes four people to lift this over grown Silver Date Palm, Phoenix sylvestris, onto the trailer. It was more than ready for a new home.

RDG2010-10-02_14-15-50.jpg

- 2:21PM: FM. Mark (Mark@PalmBeach) works his way down the sidewalk while towing his palms and daughter along with him. The palm hanging over the corner of his cart is a Dypsis rivularis.

RDG2010-10-02_14-21-56.jpg

- 4:53PM: The latter hours of Saturday saw steady traffic all the way up until closing time. In the last 10 minutes of the day, a few groups headed through the checkout including the two palms on the left belonging to FM. Chris (cvb7873).

RDG2010-10-02_16-53-40.jpg

- 4:54PM: Chris got the only large Kerriodoxa elegans out for sale and a 7 gallon Cryosophila williamsii.

RDG2010-10-02_16-54-30.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 4:59PM: Chris boards the golf cart with his newly acquired palms on the trailer. The load going out in front of him has Coconut Palms, a 3 gallon Kerriodoxa elegans and a Chamaedorea ernesti-augusti.

RDG2010-10-02_16-59-49.jpg

- 5:11PM: After closing time, the last deliveries of the day were put together. Jeff Searle takes the controls for a short while to help load this very old, field-grown Pygmy Date Palm, Phoenix roebelenii.

RDG2010-10-02_17-11-42.jpg

- 5:13PM: Time to test the suspension...

RDG2010-10-02_17-13-29.jpg

- 6:35PM: The second day of the Extravaganza continued back at Jeff's house where we toured the yard with FM. Scott W. (aztropic) who made the long trip out east in search of Caribbean palms. The tour started out in the front yard and we made it to the east section with many of the Caribbean collection, including this Gaussia princeps.

RDG2010-10-02_18-35-10.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 6:51PM: [Nextel: 'Beep beep'] "Ahh, guess who is calling." Jeff answered his phone about halfway through the tour to get a radio call from FM. Bill Sanford (BS Man about Palms) who was just calling to 'BS' about the sale, palms, and the usual. Not a surprise.

RDG2010-10-02_18-51-34.jpg

- 6:52PM: Jeff informed Bill as to what we were doing and that Scott was with us so he had to say hello to him.

RDG2010-10-02_18-52-53.jpg

- 6:54PM: Kona tagged along for a while until someone in the distance mentioned food. He started to growl after he heard Sanford on the phone.

RDG2010-10-02_18-54-41.jpg

- 6:56PM: Satakentia liukiuensis was a popular palm during this weekend and customers gathered specimens in all sizes.

RDG2010-10-02_18-56-00.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 2:15PM: It takes four people to lift this over grown Silver Date Palm, Phoenix sylvestris, onto the trailer. It was more than ready for a new home.

RDG2010-10-02_14-15-50.jpg

- 2:21PM: FM. Mark (Mark@PalmBeach) works his way down the sidewalk while towing his palms and daughter along with him. The palm hanging over the corner of his cart is a Dypsis rivularis.

RDG2010-10-02_14-21-56.jpg

- 4:53PM: The latter hours of Saturday saw steady traffic all the way up until closing time. In the last 10 minutes of the day, a few groups headed through the checkout including the two palms on the left belonging to FM. Chris (cvb7873).

RDG2010-10-02_16-53-40.jpg

- 4:54PM: Chris got the only large Kerriodoxa elegans out for sale and a 7 gallon Cryosophila williamsii.

RDG2010-10-02_16-54-30.jpg

Ryan

I had my fingers crossed that I would make internet fame by having my photo on this spread. That said, that gentleman is not me. He got the other beauty of a Kerriodoxa. I was at the sale Sat in the AM and ran outta there by noon to catch the Hurricanes game. Had to set a time limit, as I EASILY could have spent the mortgage check at this sale. I shall be forced to wait until March for my mug to reach internet fame. That, or I could pound back a few beers and tape myself doing something stupid.

- 6:58PM: The tour continued and so didn't Sandford, who mentioned Dypsis a few times (surprise) and reminded us to go check out the larger Mealy Bug Palm Jeff has in the yard. It was interesting to find out the differences and similarities in regards to the weather here and in Arizona, where Scott is from. Many of the Caribbean palms do extremely well out there in that climate.

RDG2010-10-02_18-58-50.jpg

- 7:14PM: Scott and Jeff check out one of the blooming intergeneric Orchid hybrids that are growing on the trees.

RDG2010-10-02_19-14-38.jpg

- 7:18PM: The tour ended right about where the Mealy Bug Palm, Dypsis mananjarensis is growing in the ground. It had just started pushing a new leaf.

RDG2010-10-02_19-18-14.jpg

- We heard the call that dinner had arrived so we looked over the palm a few more times and observed its general move to more sunlight.

RDG2010-10-02_19-18-33.jpg

Sunday is next with more palms, tropical plants and a long-distance call from a Forum member...

Ryan

South Florida

cvb7873

I had my fingers crossed that I would make internet fame by having my photo on this spread. That said, that gentleman is not me. He got the other beauty of a Kerriodoxa. I was at the sale Sat in the AM...

Oh well, I thought for sure that was you as I remember only having the one giant 15 gallon Kerriodoxa elegans and a much smaller one. I thought this one in the photo was the larger one, but I guess it was the height difference.

Ryan

South Florida

Ryan, thanks as usual for all the great photos and commentary! It was great seeing you, Jeff, Andrea, and the Glocks again. It's been 2.5 years since I last saw you guys at the CR Biennial. I can't believe how fast time flies by.

I wish that I had taken more photos at the Extravaganza, but at least I can look at yours and see all things I missed. Great thread!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Jeff in Costa Rica

Ryan, thanks as usual for all the great photos and commentary! It was great seeing you, Jeff, Andrea, and the Glocks again. It's been 2.5 years since I last saw you guys at the CR Biennial. I can't believe how fast time flies by.

I wish that I had taken more photos at the Extravaganza, but at least I can look at yours and see all things I missed. Great thread!

Jeff, it was great to see both you and Bren at the Extravaganza. Seeing you both in attendance, with Jim & Judy Glock, Jeff, Andrea, Ron and other Forum members around, brought upon flashbacks from the Costa Rican Biennial. Between my photos and my memory it doesn't seem that long ago, but it was.

- Sunday, 10:21AM: The Extravaganza began at nine in the morning on Sunday and we spent most of the time restocking what plant groups we could. Certain groups like the rarer palms and crotons were limited to what was left in the sales areas. Volunteer and FM. Scott Cohen (Scott Cohen) takes his position with the tropical flowering trees and helps customers choose among them.

RDG2010-10-03_10-21-52.jpg

- 10:22AM: Thomas helps Braden test his tolerance to cold with the mornings supply of ice and drinks.

RDG2010-10-03_10-22-56.jpg

- 11:11AM: Many of Sunday mornings customers like to walk around the sales area and the nursery landscaping while drinking their morning beverage of choice. Like their own visit to a botanical garden.

RDG2010-10-03_11-11-16.jpg

- Fire up the grills! The lunch crowd came in and started the demand for hotdogs and hamburgers earlier than usual.

RDG2010-10-03_11-11-23.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 11:15AM: "Like, OMG..." There were a few Sunday morning collectors who could not make it to the Extravaganza any earlier and they headed into the shadehouse looking for what was left. The tables were thinned out by this time, but there were still some hidden treasures on the sidewalk. On the left, Jeff's neighbor Tom listens to Andrea Searle on the right emphatically describe to the customer how busy the croton area was during Friday morning. Go Dolphins!

RDG2010-10-03_11-15-51.jpg

- 11:16AM: Volunteer Colleen Hendrix helps spread the Bromeliad addiction to customers looking over the full sun tolerant cultivars and species.

RDG2010-10-03_11-16-33.jpg

- 11:21AM: Time to cram, ugh. Scott does his best amidst the activity of the day to study for an anatomy exam he will have to take on the first day he gets back to class. As we were discussing morphology of the liver, Shane drove up on a golf cart and told us both we had a long-distance call to answer back inside the office...

RDG2010-10-03_11-21-21.jpg

- 11:28AM: We drove back to the office to find Jeff talking to his son and FM. Pvt. Travis Searle (Paintball Guy) via video chat on Skype...

RDG2010-10-03_11-28-58.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 11:43AM: Travis is currently serving in Iraq where the time difference and remoteness of his location makes communication difficult at best. When he is able to both get the time and a strong signal, he enjoys talking with and seeing people over here. Today was especially eventful as many of his friends and relatives were at the Extravaganza, so we all took turns saying hello.

RDG2010-10-03_11-43-13.jpg

- 12:36PM: After spending a good hour or so talking with Travis, those of us inside the office headed back out to the sales area to find it very busy. The tractors and golf carts began to line up for checkout. Thomas rode along the back, waiting to offload while volunteers Marissa and Missy wrote up the orders.

RDG2010-10-03_12-36-22.jpg

- The tent across from the registers housed a waiting area for receipt writers as they wait in turn to help customers. Since many of the volunteers are related to each other, and certain customers are relatives as well, it can be a busy spot for family gatherings. Nursery patriarch Frank "Pops" Searle takes his seat and keeps an eye on everything.

RDG2010-10-03_12-36-29.jpg

- 12:37PM: "errr Woof..." Shane recently got a new Shiba Inu puppy and brought her to the sale. She doesn't quite have a name yet as of this photo, but he is working on it. So far, she doesn't like to eat plants.

RDG2010-10-03_12-37-56.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 12:38PM: While waiting for customers and managing the holding area, Naftali and Shane discuss the finer arts of canine history as they talk about the hunting abilities of the Shiba Inu, and its Japanese ancestry. Besides plants, you never know what comes up for discussion at the Extravaganza.

RDG2010-10-03_12-38-39.jpg

- 12:39PM: "What?" People look over at Jeff and he looks back with puzzlement.

RDG2010-10-03_12-39-24.jpg

- With the barn full of hungry customers and the side road and other sales areas reaching capacity, the activity for Sunday was reaching its peak.

RDG2010-10-03_12-39-59.jpg

RDG2010-10-03_12-40-00.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Aww, as an 8 yr vet of the USAF, the pic of Travis makes my heart swell, awesome for him to be able to check in like that, they didn't have that when I was in 91-1999. Makes a world of difference being a world apart. Nice!

Hey Ryan, we'll have more history before the next trip. I'll make sure I'm on bus next time!

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Ryan did you get any shots of the palms I planted in the spring???

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

BS Man about Palms

Ryan did you get any shots of the palms I planted in the spring???

No photos, but during the week of setting up I did notice them in the landscape. Most showed signs of growth, the rest were in stable condition. If I think of it, the next time I'm out at the nursery with my camera I will photograph them and compare the images to ones taken in the spring.

- 12:40PM: Candy was drawing furiously while keeping up with the customers' demands on her time.

RDG2010-10-03_12-40-11.jpg

- The easy way to get around. Julian takes it easy while being towed around by Andrea.

RDG2010-10-03_12-40-43.jpg

- 12:41PM: "Hotdogs comin' up!" The platters filled with hotdogs and hamburgers kept coming and disappearing. They didn't have a chance to cool down before they made it onto a customers plate.

RDG2010-10-03_12-41-21.jpg

- A quick turn to the right shows the lunch crowd getting their fill of BBQ at close to One in the afternoon.

RDG2010-10-03_12-41-28.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 12:41PM: The barn gets its customary allotment of foliage plants and orchids for display during the event. They get positioned in and around the front beams and in those green pots attached to the inner walls of the barn. By this time on Sunday, there was one White Bird of Paradise, Strelitzia nicolai left and only one or two orchids.

RDG2010-10-03_12-41-58.jpg

- 1:30PM: FM. Frank (Trópico) made the long drive on down from Central Florida to attend on Sunday and had a desire for Licualas. He had his eye on this Licuala peltata var. sumawongii.

RDG2010-10-03_13-30-37.jpg

- 2:09PM: At this point, there was less than two hours remaining in the Extravaganza and the activity was going strong, especially in and around the landscape plants.

RDG2010-10-03_14-09-33.jpg

- 2:24PM: The foliage plants were hit hard and a few groups required restocking efforts even late into Sunday. The Cordylines were more popular than usual this Fall and the newer Aroids were grabbed in numbers.

RDG2010-10-03_14-24-06.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 2:24PM: Volunteer Thomas gets creative while I was photographing what was left in the shadehouse.

RDG2010-10-03_14-24-16.jpg

- 2:27PM: Before and after. FM. Frank (Trópico) and his wife Jenny pose with his now packed cart of his new favorite plants. It was Frank's idea to get a shot with him and Jenny next to his plant choices and it made for a good photo. As long as everyone smiles, its going to be a good photo.

RDG2010-10-03_14-27-52.jpg

- 2:45PM: I was out on the side road describing some of the full sun palms when I saw Jeff coming down the road on a return trip. He was grabbing a few more crotons to add to the selection up front and brought Julian along with him.

RDG2010-10-03_14-45-17.jpg

- 2:49PM: I switched lenses and went telephoto for a while. I captured this panoramic scene near the holding area all the way from the side entrance to the shadehouse.

RDG2010-10-03_14-49-56.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 2:50PM: Everyone pitches in and gets in on the plant action. Scott Cohen was off studying somewhere, so to help pick up the slack, Scott's mother Donna helps a customer pick out a few Vietnamese Gardenias.

RDG2010-10-03_14-50-29.jpg

- 2:51PM: Guard dog Dumbo does her job by systematically tearing apart a pot that rolled into the holding area.

RDG2010-10-03_14-51-21.jpg

- 2:52PM: Bromeliad people are easy to spot as they seldom leave the confines of their favorite plant section.

RDG2010-10-03_14-52-44.jpg

- 3:05PM: I began to wonder if we would have to stay open past Four, as I watched more customers make their way inside with only an hour left in the day.

RDG2010-10-03_15-05-57.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 3:06PM: Donna and Jeff take off to take care of a 'tropical flowering tree' issue in the distance... I'm not at liberty to say what it was about but Andrea was laughing about it.

RDG2010-10-03_15-06-52.jpg

- 3:10PM: Those crotons that Jeff brought up to restock the section didn't last long until they got onto this customer's cart. Volunteer Katie Tanner writes them up along with some Bromeliads and herbs.

RDG2010-10-03_15-10-25.jpg

- 3:11PM: Jeff and his friend Grady along with Rob, take off for a short tour of the nursery. For those friends and relatives that come a long way to attend the Extravaganza, Jeff often provides a tour of the grounds.

RDG2010-10-03_15-11-08.jpg

- 3:12PM: Describing and selling plants to customers doesn't end after they start placing them on the trailers and carts. There are always follow-up questions that need to be answered.

RDG2010-10-03_15-12-03.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 3:29PM: "Jerry, Jerry..." FM. Jerry Behan (Jerry@TreeZoo) arrived late on Sunday and checks out the remaining croton selection.

RDG2010-10-03_15-29-29.jpg

- 3:36PM: The two customers on the right were trying to figure out a flowering tree that they had seen but didn't know for sure what it was. We had a vague description to go on and after asking Jerry about it we asked Crafton about what the tree could be and between the two of them they had a few suggestions. Earlier, Crafton was giving a class on grafting and he was still wearing his supply of rubber strips around his neck; an old bike tire inner tube cut down the middle.

RDG2010-10-03_15-36-29.jpg

- 3:40PM: Before he left, Jeff introduced his friend Grady to his dad Frank "Pops" Searle.

RDG2010-10-03_15-40-57.jpg

- 3:44PM: "Get a photo of Dad with the girls..." I was summoned to take some group shots near the end of the day and after changing lenses I returned to capture the receipt writers posing with Frank "Pops" Searle. From left to right: Missy, Jessica, Michelle, Mandy, Rachel and her daughter Gabby.

RDG2010-10-03_15-44-20.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 3:51PM: After another successful Extravaganza comes to a close, volunteers begin to unwind, more than usual. On the right, Katie wonders why her husband Shane acts the way he does while giving a ride to Thomas.

RDG2010-10-03_15-51-00.jpg

- 3:55PM: I am not positive, but I am sure FM. Jerry Behan (Jerry@TreeZoo) was the last customer of the day, and therefore the last one of the Fall Extravaganza. He is seen here heading out towards the parking lot with his stash in tow. There seems to be a large palm on the cart, but I am not sure which species.

RDG2010-10-03_15-55-10.jpg

- 3:56PM: "Cheers!" Thomas toasts the end of the day with lemon iced tea while helping Scott Cohen.

RDG2010-10-03_15-56-09.jpg

- 4:04PM: One last shot of the croton section. After being restocked in different amounts and at different times, this is all that remains after the Croton Mania. It will be a while before the stock is replenished.

RDG2010-10-03_16-04-38.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- The ideas surrounding the individual group shots came fast and multiplied. I took about a dozen or so and I decided to end the topic with a few of the best ones showing you the people that make the Extravaganza what it is. This image shows all the Searles, that were within shouting range and who came over, at the time when I was taken the photos.

RDG2010-10-03_15-46-08.jpg

- The original Searles, Larry, Frank "Pops", Jeff, Kathy and Randy...

RDG2010-10-03_15-48-25.jpg

- Jeff & Andrea Searle with friends and relatives. I had my hand up using it as a counter to get people's attention and Julian waved back...

RDG2010-10-03_15-50-18.jpg

- And the last photo shows all the relatives, friends, volunteers and "everyone with a red shirt" who was within range to be called over. There were others at the gate and other places closing up the nursery and searching for any customers still inside. It was a remarkable weekend with great attendance on all three days and the weather was phenomenal, truly phenomenal. It didn't rain at all and the only clouds were seen as we were leaving on Sunday evening. It was great considering the tropical 'bullet' we dodged earlier in the previous week. It was wonderful seeing and meeting all the Forum members from far and wide who came to visit and we look forward to seeing everyone again in the spring...

RDG2010-10-03_15-47-53.jpg

Ryan

--<

South Florida

Great stuff Ryan. I love the Pops and the girls pic. Its a classic.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!