IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The 12th Annual Fall Searle Brothers Plant Extravaganza

Palmarum

The 12th Annual Fall

Searle Brothers Plant Extravaganza

October 1st, 2nd & 3rd 2010

- Friday, 7:36AM: All the worry surrounding the weather had disappeared by Thursday afternoon and when we arrived at the nursery this morning we knew the weather would be great for another Fall Extravaganza. The would-be tropical storm moved away faster and earlier than expected leaving just blue skies and mild temperatures. The sacrifice for good weather was well appreciated it seems... I had received a fair amount of emails and messages in regards to up-to-date local weather reports for those who were traveling a far distance. It was actually cool outside this morning. Customers and eager palm and croton fanatics begin to gather at the gate while we rushed to get the finishing touches done around the sales area.

RDG2010-10-01_07-36-52.jpg

- 7:37AM: Sunlight was rising over the edge of the shadehouses as I waited for the stampede to come on down the road behind me. The landscape section was full of ornamental plants including the purple-flowering Tibouchina that became a favorite among customers. I was asked by a few customers for an identity in regards to that clustering Coccothrinax specimen on the left side of the image. It has been a popular mystery for years. Jeff is fairly sure it is not a hybrid, but actually a planted community of unknown seedlings that became the clump.

RDG2010-10-01_07-37-00.jpg

- Randy Searle had the right idea. He went for the orange juice and donuts before anyone else got there.

RDG2010-10-01_07-37-11.jpg

- 7:38AM: The Bromeliad Section, obviously. The area under the palms across from the landscape plants became flooded due to that tropical downpour we had on Wednesday. That is normally where the Bromeliads are put out on display but they were moved over to this spot behind the holding area and inside the fiberglass shadehouse.

RDG2010-10-01_07-38-24.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 7:39AM: Even more Bromeliads...

RDG2010-10-01_07-39-02.jpg

- On Thursday, the north side of the fiberglass house was hastily emptied and was quickly filled with Bromeliads. It was a nice fix to a temporary problem.

RDG2010-10-01_07-39-15.jpg

RDG2010-10-01_07-39-43.jpg

- 7:40AM: The side road between the main shadehouse and the barn was lined with gingers, ginger relatives, cordylines, aroids and tropical flowering trees, shrubs and vines. Also, a few of the more unusual plants were placed here.

RDG2010-10-01_07-40-34.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 7:40AM: A few last minute signs and the sale booklets were put out along with the rest of the chosen plants and their price tags. The palms planted in the landscape get larger each year and we wait until we can place sale plants under the smaller ones instead of 'around' them. The palm towards the right is a fast growing Beccariophoenix alfredii and the larger palm further down in the center of the image is a Sugar Palm, Arenga pinnata.

RDG2010-10-01_07-40-44.jpg

- 7:41AM: Amadeo brings the New Holland loader down to move out some water before we open.

RDG2010-10-01_07-41-54.jpg

- 7:43AM: This small 'pond' was the only remaining evidence of the tropical threat that had us glued to the Weather Channel this past week. It was quickly removed and the carts the customers were eyeing from the gate were placed away from the deep end. On the right, in the distance, a school bus was used to shuttle in some of the customers... :winkie:

RDG2010-10-01_07-43-59.jpg

- 7:56AM: Time to let them in... Jeff and Andrea head down the road to open the gate and to welcome the customers to the nursery. That single orange road cone was keeping them at bay.

RDG2010-10-01_07-56-03.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 7:56AM: During one of these Extravaganzas, I will have to ride down with Jeff just to capture the interaction at the gate. I know it is a balanced greeting between 'welcome to my nursery' and 'please no running, unless you have to'.

RDG2010-10-01_07-56-28.jpg

- Whether Jeff pulled open the gate, or the customers pushed it against him, the sale was officially on. They started off in first gear but then quickened the pace.

RDG2010-10-01_07-56-37.jpg

- 7:57AM: The quick pace became a light jaunt as those in front went just.. fast.. enough to keep their lead. No one broke out in a run, but it was very close. Jeff and Andrea rode the 'wave' of customers with their golf cart.

RDG2010-10-01_07-57-17.jpg

- Those needing a cart kept to the south side of the road while others headed straight for the sales area.

RDG2010-10-01_07-57-24.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 7:57AM: Jeff flies past me while Andrea yells "Here they come!"

RDG2010-10-01_07-57-33.jpg

- The sprinters reached the turn first, as one customer made his presence known. These were probably the first ones to start warming up outside the gate this morning.

RDG2010-10-01_07-57-42.jpg

- 7:58AM: It only took about two minutes for customers to cover the distance from the gate to the turn near the holding area. Forum member Mike Harris (waykoolplantz) takes long strides in making the turn while towing one of the larger carts. He has to grab both crotons and palms, as his collection contains many of both.

RDG2010-10-01_07-58-03.jpg

- Moving in high gear and armed with a fully-loaded bottle of Pepsi, FM. Nyssa (SunnyFl) heads down the road to catch up with her husband who was one of the first to reach the sales area.

RDG2010-10-01_07-58-11.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 7:58AM: They keep coming, as the initial surge presses further into the sales area. They were followed by those customers that were just arriving.

RDG2010-10-01_07-58-21.jpg

- "Yeah!" The war shout was given as FM. Ron Kiefert (moose knuckle) charges towards the main shadehouse and the plants held within.

RDG2010-10-01_07-58-29.jpg

- On the right in red and list in hand, FM. Meg Price (PalmatierMeg) looks over towards the shadehouse followed closely behind by FM. Rick Leitner (TikiRick).

RDG2010-10-01_07-58-32.jpg

- Was it Adeniums or Aroids customers were after this morning? Neither as the die hard collectors were heading for crotons and palms as fast as possible.

RDG2010-10-01_07-58-49.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

One of these days I'll make it to the Fall sale... I really enjoy myself down there! :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Rick needs a challenge so he pushes his cart.....with his eyes closed! Take that palm punks!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

When I saw this post, I thougt I would get a serious palm fix. But I was sadly dissapointed. Ryan, where are the photos?????? :blink::blink::(:(

Laura

Well.........there is a nice shot of a H. lagenicaulis in one of the pics.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

It takes a while for Ryan to get the whole thread done. It takes a LOT of work as he is so methodical.

This too has many more days and posts to come. If you are new at this, look at past coverage and the total "posting days coverage".

:interesting:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

It takes a while for Ryan to get the whole thread done. It takes a LOT of work as he is so methodical.

This too has many more days and posts to come. If you are new at this, look at past coverage and the total "posting days coverage".

:interesting:

I've noticed that with Ryan's threads. He´ll be posting long after the initial buzz has passed! I love the build ups. Did Ron bring coffee? Is that a Thermos??

Ummmm. I dunno and Yes.

Bill, knowing Ron you are right for sure. Something to take the chill off and to lubricate the joints :lol: I've been checking a couple of times per day for the start of this thread. I always look forward to seeing the palms, palm and plant lovers having an opportunity to "compete", cash in hand, for some highly desirable plants. Ryan, looking forward to the rest of your coverage, and for the eager initiates "Hold on".

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Apparently those of you that are looking for palm pictures didn't see the extensive work Ryan had already done in this regard before the event in the "For Sale" section: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=25201

This post/topic here is usually mostly pictures of PalmTalk members and various "action shots" from the event itself -- hence the time it takes to get it all together after 3 days of frenzied activity.

Tim

Sarasota, Florida USA (zone 9B) - 1 acre with approx. 91 types of palms & many other plants/trees

My two favorite palms are Teddy Bears and Zombies... zombieteddybear2-compressed.jpg

When I saw this post, I thougt I would get a serious palm fix. But I was sadly dissapointed. Ryan, where are the photos?????? :blink::blink::(:(

Laura

I'm sure Ryan will post some pic's of our large assortment of Queen palms that were offered.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

LauraAnu

When I saw this post, I thougt I would get a serious palm fix. But I was sadly dissapointed. Ryan, where are the photos??????...

Laura

rafael

I thought next we will be shown some palm pics...

The palm photos are coming, but this is a re-creation of the event and I am posting the photos in the order in which they were taken. Friday mornings of the Fall Extravaganzas have become quite popular with both croton and palm collectors, many of which are Forum members. Although they are not grabbing palms in those short moments they are Forum members in action.

BS Man about Palms

It takes a while for Ryan to get the whole thread done. It takes a LOT of work as he is so methodical...

I took over 650 photos over the 3 days and I have to edit them all before I can post any of them, even just the few that are getting online.

John in Andalucia

...I've noticed that with Ryan's threads. He´ll be posting long after the initial buzz has passed!...

I can not post any photos of the Extravaganza in the main sub-forum until after the sale is over. It is a rule of the Forum. I put the other topic in the For Sale section (as Tim noted to above) as an on-going ad for the event. I also have a slew of after-sale messages and emails to answer from those who bought plants during the sale and need more information. They take priority over posting photos.

Ryan

South Florida

Laura

I'm sure Ryan will post some pic's of our large assortment of Queen palms that were offered.

Can't wait!:lol:

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

- 7:59AM: In through the entrance and under the Rainforest Collection sign and voila, plants everywhere. Those making a sharp left turn found the croton section and a majority dove in, head first.

RDG2010-10-01_07-59-01.jpg

- While he was being drawn in every direction to help find plants, Jeff had to maneuver his way past the parked carts to help locate a croton or two. The carts parked on the right are empty, but not for long.

RDG2010-10-01_07-59-14.jpg

- On the left, FM. Meg Price (PalmatierMeg) heads straight down the sidewalk for the palms as volunteers and Forum members Jim Glock (jglock1) and Rob "The Borg" van der Borg (Borgy230) stay on the right, pointing people in the right direction. Behind the telephone pole, FM. Mike Harris (waykoolplantz) grabs two plants while FM. Rick Leitner (TikiRick) eyes one that hasn't yet been taken.

RDG2010-10-01_07-59-16.jpg

- Meg has to duck to avoid the flying croton being steered by Ron, on the way to his cart.

RDG2010-10-01_07-59-18.jpg

The last four photos took place over just 17 seconds...

Ryan

South Florida

Oh no guys. That was not what I was speaking about. When I first opened the thread, there were some blue Photobucket boxes which said limit exceeded please upgrade your membership and the pictures were not showing :rage: .

I have been around palmtalk long enough to know I have to log on multiole times per day for days like the palm junkie that I am to see all the pictures from the sale :drool::drool: . I love the pictoral display as Ryan lays them out as it gives me the feeling I was actually there. Even if it is only in my dreams :rolleyes: .

Jeff, just to let you know I am a palm snob and those queen plams cant pass my front gate :mrlooney: !!!!!!!

- 7:59AM: If anyone ever asks, if you have seen 'Croton Mania' you can say yes. The photos do not do the spectacle justice, as it could be described as 'orderly chaos'. Like with the palms, many people come far and wide to get their favorite cultivar and they are determined to get it.

RDG2010-10-01_07-59-42.jpg

- 8:00AM: Jim Glock observes the action and turns to me with a solemn "Oh wow..." expression.

RDG2010-10-01_08-00-09.jpg

- The carts on the right are getting filled and many customers employed 'cart guards' or simply went solo today. They didn't want to take the time to drag the cart to the holding area (about 50 feet away) and return.

RDG2010-10-01_08-00-14.jpg

- Grab, place on cart, search, repeat...

RDG2010-10-01_08-00-18.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

This needs some music:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

LauraAnu

... When I first opened the thread, there were some blue Photobucket boxes which said limit exceeded please upgrade your membership and the pictures were not showing...

Sometimes it can be hard to keep on the eye on bandwidth as I have photos posted elsewhere. When I start a new topic there is always that initial crunch on bandwidth that can cause a problem, but it is easily fixed.

- 8:00AM: Who is that masked man? FM. Mike Harris (waykoolplantz) grabs one more as this large green and yellow croton covers most of his identity. I can not tell which cultivar it is, as I am bad with croton ID.

RDG2010-10-01_08-00-34.jpg

- Like a mosh pit, but with plants. On the left, volunteer and anointed Croton Fanatic of the highest degree, Judy Glock helps a customer locate a cultivar. In the background, Jeff and FM. Ray Hernandez (Ray Tampa) discuss the madness while moving out of the way of customers.

RDG2010-10-01_08-00-40.jpg

- "Is this the one?" Rob saves a customer a trip by carrying out a wanted plant.

RDG2010-10-01_08-00-47.jpg

- Author, photographer and tropical plant collector Paul Humann looks through the selection looking for cultivars he doesn't already have.

RDG2010-10-01_08-00-56.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 8:00AM: Always helpful and knowledgeable, Rob looks over a customer's drawing and/or want list to see what she needs to look for next.

RDG2010-10-01_08-00-59.jpg

- 8:01AM: "That one, no that one over there."

RDG2010-10-01_08-01-08.jpg

- On the far left, Andrea Searle came over to check out the action in the croton den, or section. In the center, coming up the sidewalk with cart in hand is collector and IPS Biennial veteran Lew Burger. He is looking at the full carts wondering if he has missed anything.

RDG2010-10-01_08-01-13.jpg

- Meg began looking through the palm selection moments earlier and started to hunt down her favorites.

RDG2010-10-01_08-01-20.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 8:01AM: "Judy!" Volunteer Judy Glock knows every cultivar in the section by sight so her services were in high demand during the opening minutes of the sale. I wonder if she was getting a little frazzled.

RDG2010-10-01_08-01-28.jpg

- 8:02AM: Gaps in the rows had begun to form as whole groups were being sold out. I figured as more space around certain plants began to appear, they started to stand out more then (woosh) they were gone as well.

To answer a private message I just received, the palm to the left of center and outside the shadehouse is Wallichia disticha and the one to the right is Copernicia gigas.

RDG2010-10-01_08-02-00.jpg

- FM. Ron Kiefert (moose knuckle) is a model of plant hunting efficiency. He knows where each palm or croton is and retrieves them in short order. He has a copy of the cultivar/species list that I sent him about a week ago and had compared it to last years list to see what is new.

RDG2010-10-01_08-02-06.jpg

- "Got that one." (check) "Got two of those..." (check)

RDG2010-10-01_08-02-08.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 8:02AM: The traffic jam grows as more carts are added to the convoy and become a interim holding area.

RDG2010-10-01_08-02-21.jpg

- DiDi had her hands full as she was helping Mike grab his plants left and right. (no pun intended)

RDG2010-10-01_08-02-56.jpg

- 8:04AM: Time to change positions as my spot on the sidewalk was compromised. I moved to a photographers friend, the ladder, in time to capture Ray moving towards me while escorting Ron to the back part of the section. FM. Nyssa (SunnyFl) had yet to leave the section since arriving.

RDG2010-10-01_08-04-03.jpg

- Ray and Ron begin to debate the appeal of one cultivar which is an constant point of friction in the Croton Universe. Don't ask me to explain it as I have yet to understand it myself. Sorry about the blur, as the light level was still low and I was sacrificing shutter speed for exposure to get the action.

RDG2010-10-01_08-04-11.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 8:04AM: The madness continues as customers grab crotons and begin to work their way into other sections. The croton group in the lower right corner that Lew has his hand on, is Yellow Mrs. Iceton. I only know that one because I photographed it for the Sale topic and for the poster out front.

RDG2010-10-01_08-04-40.jpg

- 8:05AM: Jeff starts to take mental notes on which cultivars he can restock later in the day. Many of the crotons seen behind him are on a cart.

RDG2010-10-01_08-05-22.jpg

- Jeff and Judy share a laugh with FM. Tim O'Neill (ThunderSRQ).

RDG2010-10-01_08-05-57.jpg

- 8:06AM: "See Rick, that's the one you want for your yard." Ray points FM. Rick Leitner (TikiRick) in the right direction.

RDG2010-10-01_08-06-07.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 8:06AM: Serious collectors bring their paperwork with them. FM. Tim O'Neill (ThunderSRQ) sorts through his lists and enlists the help of Judy Glock to help him find the crotons he needs.

RDG2010-10-01_08-06-14.jpg

- I had to get at least one portrait of each Forum member so I yelled "Tim!" to get him to look up for a second...

RDG2010-10-01_08-06-19.jpg

- 8:07AM: FM. Jerry Pezzeminti (Pez) took advantage of the croton mania to sneak past everyone to grab some of the rarest and largest palms we had out for sale, and he wasn't done yet. In this one load he got the one and only 7 gallon Mealy Bug Palm, Dypsis mananjarensis, one of the (7 gal) Dark Mealy Bug Palms, Dypsis ovobontsira, and a 10 gallon Dypsis basilonga; which I have been calling the White Collar Palm. A great way to start or boost a Dypsis collection.

RDG2010-10-01_08-07-59.jpg

- 8:09AM: FM. Randy Wiesner (palmisland) uses the sun well during his attack on the croton section. I almost didn't see him coming until it was too late.

RDG2010-10-01_08-09-46.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

I was there and I still cant wait to see what happened. :)

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

Jerry had quite the hall. I stood in the holding area talking to him and drolling over his area. Are you sure there is not another 7 gallon mealy around?

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

rafael

I am becoming a croton specialist...

Your already way ahead of me then.

tikitiki

...Are you sure there is not another 7 gallon mealy around?

That was the only one for sale and will probably be the only one for a least a while longer. Jeff had originally put it out to sell the one gallon plants, but then put a very decent price on it as a surprise for the first collector to find it.

- 8:08AM: The holding area saw constant activity from just after we opened until closing time. In the morning I kept moving from here to the shadehouse and back, in between talking plants with customers. This Double Spindle Palm, Hyophorbe verschaffeltii, was part of the first group of plants to make it behind the orange fence.

RDG2010-10-01_08-08-43.jpg

- 8:09AM: Customers had no problem finding the new Bromeliad location in behind the holding area. An oversized sign behind me in the landscape helped as it was painted bright orange.

RDG2010-10-01_08-09-22.jpg

- Hmm, my plant sense is tingling. I think customers are getting crotons inside the shadehouse.

RDG2010-10-01_08-09-36.jpg

- 8:10AM: As least we have a holding area, in theory. Tim walks past with one croton in hand, heading for the holding area.

RDG2010-10-01_08-10-01.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 8:10AM: I had to wait my turn to get back inside the shadehouse...

RDG2010-10-01_08-10-10.jpg

- 8:11AM: This cart is full, time to unload. Didi cracks a smile as she waits for a break in the crowd to start moving out.

RDG2010-10-01_08-11-09.jpg

- Jeff and Ray stir up the laughs in amongst a sea of crotons.

RDG2010-10-01_08-11-40.jpg

- 8:12AM: Jeff takes a moment to talk to Lew Burger about his palms and plants as customers run out of room to stash plants on the sidewalk and begin hauling them out to the holding area.

RDG2010-10-01_08-12-13.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 8:12AM: Rob helps Randy look over the croton selection looking for something new to add to his yard. Randy is hosting a Croton Society tour at his place in two weeks I think.

RDG2010-10-01_08-12-34.jpg

- "Easy... easy..." Ron on one side and Ray on the other offer guidance to Didi as she maneuvers the cart on through.

RDG2010-10-01_08-12-44.jpg

- 8:13AM: "What's in there?" The customers on the left had just arrived and noticed all the plants that were streaming out of the shadehouse.

RDG2010-10-01_08-13-36.jpg

- 8:14AM: The early birds that arrived after the gate opened began to show up in greater numbers and headed in all directions.

RDG2010-10-01_08-14-27.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

That looks like so much fun!!! Wish I was there being a consumer. So, tell me......what is so special about this particular sale? Is it a once a year thing with prices marked down? I guess I want to know what draws so many people during this particular event.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

- 8:14AM: A few of the croton collectors headed straight for the checkout, while the rest went to unload in the holding area. The customer on the left really needed some ferns.

RDG2010-10-01_08-14-43.jpg

- 8:15AM: The shadehouse sidewalk got busy as the palms became the new target of the collectors. There were about 278 species of palms and cycads available in the sales area by the time the nursery opened this morning. A larger than average supply of cycad species were put out for sale and were well received.

RDG2010-10-01_08-15-45.jpg

- 8:17AM: FM. Jerry Pezziminti (Pez) was at it again as he was carting out a large Ravenea krociana while chatting with volunteer and FM. Scott Cohen (Scott Cohen) who had just flown in from his college in Missouri the night before. He is getting degrees in table tennis and chiropractic medicine.

RDG2010-10-01_08-17-13.jpg

- 8:33AM: The Croton Mania had subsided and the volunteers tended to their wounds and reorganized the remaining plants.

RDG2010-10-01_08-33-32.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

This was the second sale in a row I attended, second time I missed day one. After seeing that seven gallon Dypsis mananjarensis, I am really bumming! That said, I'm stoked with the HUGE Kerriodoxa elegans I purchased. All ready looking forward to the next sale. All the volunteers were very helpful, the lady at the register was awesome (I believe she was Jeff's sister). Good times.

Jerry had quite the hall. I stood in the holding area talking to him and drolling over his area. Are you sure there is not another 7 gallon mealy around?

It was good meeting you Tom. Yes, I spent much more money than I was planning on, but that's how it goes at one of Jeff's sales. I still haven't quite figured out how he does it, but it seems like he can get a palm through that "seedling" stage much quicker than i can. He must be pumping some kind of steroids through his irrigation system. ???