Sign in to follow this  
PalmatierMeg

"Dwarf" Coccothrinax sp.

PalmatierMeg

I've germinated many Coccothrinax sp seeds in the past 2 years. Most are C. barbadensis or perhaps hybrids of it. And they have grown in typical Coccos fashion into 1g or 3g palms.

But I have this one slow-growing Cocco sp that is the size of a silver dollar and in perfect miniature - tiny palmate leaves held close to an invisible trunk. I had it in a 1g pot but the root system started escaping through the drain holes. I have moved this palm into a 2g to accommodate the roots but it looks lost in all the space.

So, do some Coccos turn into dwarfs a la Areca catechu? My little guy gets that same care as its kin 10 times its size. It seems healthy and happy - and cute to boot. But it's soooo tiny. What gives?

post-1349-051172200 1286203509_thumb.jpg post-1349-056512100 1286203523_thumb.jpg

Davidl

Could be borhidiana or another small coccothrinax. I have some small borhidianas that are quite small.

PalmatierMeg

Thanks, David. I checked tonight and realized it is actually in a tall treepot, which makes it look even tinier.

BS Man about Palms

Thats what some of my Dypsis do. Get reasonable size, then start shrinking.... :(

Lowey

That is very strange, I dont think its Borhidiana, even at the first leaf stage mine are bigger than that, very cute though :)

cfkingfish

A few of the more compact and stiffer leafed species do this, it is very neat because it looks like a dwarf for quite a while.