Sign in to follow this  
STEVE IN SO CAL

December 19-20 2006

STEVE IN SO CAL

This could get worse than expected...it's 8 PM Tue night, and already 31f in my lower field. If this holds up, I'll be below freezing for 11-12 hours...It looks like I'm gonna be the CRDB poster child this year.

In this field I have, in ascending order(lowest/coldest first) Yucca Rostrata(they should be ok) Cham Hum Cerifera, Jubaea, Butia x Jubaea, Sabal Uresana, Dyp Decipiens, Parajubaea Torallyi Torallyi, Ravanea Xerophila, and at the top, Rav Glauca and Sabal Mauritiaformis. Over 2,000 plants at risk...yikes...help me Mr. Wizard !!!!

BobbyinNY

Steve,

I'd be totally freaking out if I had exposed palms to those temps... Heck, I freak out when my greenhouse temps go below 50f.. I go in there and turn up the heat.... It's 38f here in my yard right now at 11:43pm and I have my heaters cranking....

happ

Dave

Your jungle is at risk   :(   Only areas currently reporting freezing are upper Mojave desert.  Are you located in an upper valley like Ojai/Santa Clarita?  Only safe for avocado.

Wish you well   :(

Palmhut1

I think it maybe cold in very body’s jungle in Southern Cal. Here in Vista at 9:00pm the yard is 32 degrees and shade house 38 degrees. Just hope for some breeze.  :(

BS Man about Palms

945pm here in Oside and the same points mentioned this morning are...mailbox38F, back low in yard 40F and greenhouse at 45F

I think I'll power up the lite tonite...

When was this global warming supposed to kick in!!!!! ???

epicure3

1010 (WINS News time-Bobby will get that one)PM and it's 43.7 degrees in my garden. Very chilly and I predict about 37 again tonight. Good news it that tomorrow night should be warmer and then warmer again Thursday.

MattyB

Yeah, an early cold air mass hit here too.  I got down to 39.7F at 7:00pm.  It's 10:00 now and back up to 42.3F.  I feel a slight breeze.  Hopefully that keeps up.  It's a very cold one Mr. Grinch.

Neofolis

(BobbyinNY @ Dec. 20 2006,04:33)

Steve,

I'd be totally freaking out if I had exposed palms to those temps... Heck, I freak out when my greenhouse temps go below 50f.. I go in there and turn up the heat.... It's 38f here in my yard right now at 11:43pm and I have my heaters cranking....

Bobby you share my tendency towards being over protective.  It's currently -3°C/27°F outside, but in my polytunnel it is currently 29.2°C/84.6°F and that reading is from near the front door, so I dare say it's too hot as usual near the middle.  The really stupid thing is that in my study, where I am currently typing this message, it is 7.2°C/45°F, I'm glad I have four jumpers on.

BS Man about Palms

(Neofolis @ Dec. 19 2006,23:38)

(BobbyinNY @ Dec. 20 2006,04:33)

Steve,

Bobby you share my tendency towards being over protective.  It's currently -3°C/27°F outside, but in my polytunnel it is currently 29.2°C/84.6°F and that reading is from near the front door, so I dare say it's too hot as usual near the middle.  The really stupid thing is that in my study, where I am currently typing this message, it is 7.2°C/45°F, I'm glad I have four jumpers on.

Corey- I thought I was the only nut with a cold house...its about 56F in here right now...5:30 am

STEVE IN SO CAL

0630 Wed a/m...35f by the pool, 28f in the front yard lawn, 23f in the lower field. Tonight will be 2-3 degrees warmer, which will still mean four nights in a row with sustained freezing temps in my field.

So far I see little damage, but that could be because of the low humidity...we'll see how they look in a few weeks.

Praying for mild weather...I think the weather Gods got San Diego mixed up with San Antonio.

tropicalb

Amen to that Steve...

Out in the open here in San Marcos, it's been 34F....under my patio close to the house it's pretty much stayed right around 38-40F....this is one of those times where i'm glad i have more cycads than palms.

However...the stuff i keep at my Dad's house is a different story...i KNOW it's been getting down into the low low 30's over there, but the only palm i think i have to worry about is the small 5 gal Brahea nitida's i have there..not so much for the cold factor (they should be okay even if it hits 30F), but for the fact that they are so small. Everything else I have over there is 15 gal size for the most part (C. gigas, L. australis and chinensis, D. decaryi, H. fosteriana, A. cunninghamiana, B. nobilis etc.), so hopefully they will withstand the cold....I'm going over there to check it out pretty soon.

BobbyinNY
0630 Wed a/m...35f by the pool, 28f in the front yard lawn, 23f in the lower field. Tonight will be 2-3 degrees warmer, which will still mean four nights in a row with sustained freezing temps in my field.

So far I see little damage, but that could be because of the low humidity...we'll see how they look in a few weeks.

Praying for mild weather...I think the weather Gods got San Diego mixed up with San Antonio.

Wow Steve.... you guys are colder than us...... We got down to 28.5f here this morning, our coldest night since that arctic blast we had last week. It's supposed to warm up starting tomorrow...

BobbyinNY
1010 (WINS News time-Bobby will get that one)

"You give us 22 minutes, we'll give you the world" ....lol.. I listen to it everyday...

NBTX11

(STEVE IN SO CAL @ Dec. 20 2006,10:02)

Hey...San Antonio doesn't even get down to 23F (at least the last 5 years it hasn't).  We haven't gotten below 29 or 30F this year, with no below freezing temps in the forecast.  We get a bad rap.

epicure3

Well, not as bad as I thought it would be. 39 and change was the low on both thermometers.

Kathy

(Neofolis @ Dec. 20 2006,02:38)

[bobby you share my tendency towards being over protective.  It's currently -3°C/27°F outside, but in my polytunnel it is currently 29.2°C/84.6°F and that reading is from near the front door, so I dare say it's too hot as usual near the middle.  The really stupid thing is that in my study, where I am currently typing this message, it is 7.2°C/45°F, I'm glad I have four jumpers on.

LOL, Corey, you should move your study into your polytunnel!  That's a true Dad, giving your palm babies more comfort than yourself!

Neofolis

(BS, Man about Palms @ Dec. 20 2006,13:23)

Corey- I thought I was the only nut with a cold house...its about 56F in here right now...5:30 am

OK, you work with air conditioning systems and as a plumber I used to work with and install heating systems, what is wrong with us?

spockvr6

(Kathy @ Dec. 20 2006,12:08)

(Neofolis @ Dec. 20 2006,02:38)

[bobby you share my tendency towards being over protective.  It's currently -3°C/27°F outside, but in my polytunnel it is currently 29.2°C/84.6°F and that reading is from near the front door, so I dare say it's too hot as usual near the middle.  The really stupid thing is that in my study, where I am currently typing this message, it is 7.2°C/45°F, I'm glad I have four jumpers on.

LOL, Corey, you should move your study into your polytunnel!  That's a true Dad, giving your palm babies more comfort than yourself!

Ill bet if his wife knew the temp in his polytunnel compared to the house, she might start to wonder about him!

"You are spending how much to heat your plants while we freeze in here!?!?!?"

LOL!

MattyB

Well, after my early reading of 39.7F last night it warmed up into the 40's for most of the night.  My ultimate low this morning was 36F.  No frost or dew anywhere....too dry.  I noticed my Dypsis pembana has some minor cold spotting on it.  It saw 31.5 and 33 the last few weeks w/ no protection (no frost).

spockvr6

(MattyB @ Dec. 20 2006,12:12)

No frost or dew anywhere....too dry.

You lucky devil!

Temps in even the middle (sometimes upper) 30's with semi-still air will usually result in frost here depending on the dewpoint :(

Kathy

(spockvr6 @ Dec. 20 2006,12:18)

(MattyB @ Dec. 20 2006,12:12)

No frost or dew anywhere....too dry.

You lucky devil!

I'll second that!  32F for a low and plenty of frost here.  Things look OK now, but we'll see longterm.  All palms left unprotected, except for some brought under porch overhang if potted.  Sabal mauritiiformis looks OK so far this morning, planted in the far rear of the backyard with slight overhead canopy from neighbor plants.

elHoagie

For the second night in a row it bottomed out just under 2C (35F) in Altadena....

By the way, quite a few record lows were set yesterday morning, including Los Angeles (39F), Long Beach (36F), and Santa Barbara (28F).  The 39F in Los Angeles tied the record from 1924.

BobbyinNY
Ill bet if his wife knew the temp in his polytunnel compared to the house, she might start to wonder about him!

"You are spending how much to heat your plants while we freeze in here!?!?!?"

Yeah, Corey..... you really keep it hot in there.... I don't keep mine that hot because I want it to seem more natural... I don't really want the stuff growing out of control in the middle of the winter..... I keep my PalmScraper and Domehouse just above 45f most of the time - during the day the sun warms it up to around 70f anyway and they are just used for overwintering..

in my other Polytunnel where I have stuff actively growing, I have the thermostat to never go below 60f (which it stays at night), and during the day it warms up to about 78-82f (my cocos like it warm)

monkeyranch

So you are all worried about the cold weather huh?  Maybe you'll feel better when you hear my situation.  I live in the Sierra Foothills at 2000' el. (Rough and Ready,CA) but I am back in Michigan for the holidays.  The minimums have been lower in CA than MI.  Most years 27-28'F min. but has already been 26 before I left on 17th.  My hillside is 9a but 8b conditions only 1/4 mile down the hill. (slope + reliable gentle wind exposure ).  Most marginal palms were brought in before I left but there are still 1 gallons and many community pots of 1000s of seedlings on the patio.  Nothing old and grand but many babies at risk.   Small Braheas, Liv. chin., Liv. nitidas, Arenga micranthas, Car. himalayas everywhere.  Some only seedling leaves. Some tender bananas and citrus varieties (Eureka, Moro, Lisbon, Orinoco, E. vent.) outside too.  I got a neighbor watering every 2 days but he is not a certified plant-lunatic/caregiver.  I ran out of time and couldn't get my new coldframe up before leaving.  Its all out of my hands now.  So you feel better yet?  Let me invite you into my boat.  The jet stream map (at least at the weather.com site) is showing a similar scenario as the Dec. 1990 freeze. Big looming 2nd cold air mass around artic and a stong south pulling stream from Alaska.  Will it come south?  If it matters at all weather.com has gotten crappy over the last few years, no internet weather source is very good at forecast predictions and I find local TV news weather more in tune.  However, Wunderground.com is excellent for its personal weather stations' current and past readings.  More palm nuts should have stations.  Incidentally does anyone know what has happened to the CRDB site?  NetFirms reports they have exceeded daily use limits for 3 months now.

iwan

2300  28.6F

LOW  25.0F

0830  29.3F

Yet another 12+ hour night at/below freezing.  Outside of the fully exposed shade house 22.7F.  Not as much frost this morning due to some passing cloud cover during the night.  There was some period of warming overnight/this morning, as I found a couple of small ice drips on my truck.

Bizmarkia covered by a 15g pot and blankets in the shade house showing a bit more foliar damage than yesterday.  Phoenix  roebelenii × reclinata in a 2g tall pot in the shade house is showing the first signs of some foliar damage.  Small Phoenix roebelenii in a large terracotta pot (~30g) next to the south side of the house (lowest ~25F) showing tip burn, but I noticed the soil is very dry, so it could be dehydration.

Enough already!

iwan

(monkeyranch @ Dec. 20 2006,12:21)

Incidentally does anyone know what has happened to the CRDB site?  NetFirms reports they have exceeded daily use limits for 3 months now.

I haven't been able to access the CRDB datatbase for what seems like 6+ months.  The main site loads, but no searches.

BS Man about Palms

(Neofolis @ Dec. 20 2006,09:09)

(BS @ Man about Palms,Dec. 20 2006,13:23)

OK, you work with air conditioning systems and as a plumber I used to work with and install heating systems, what is wrong with us?

Well, I fix heaters and A/C systems, but the house I'm renovating was built in 1946 and has NO insulation and a wall heater. I get tired of hearing it run and only getting the 10' area near it warm....

2 Nice new full heat and A/C systems sitting in the garage just waiting for me to install them!!

Shon

Bill you have way too many projects going on.

Shon

MattyB

Bill, we need an intervention to get you going on your house.  123 not it.

Jack, was the LA 39F taken at the Airport in Santa Monica or Downtown?  Well, I guess that's cold for either location, huh?

As far as frost goes:  What I've noticed over the past 4 years is that it usually only gets into the frost zone (about 37F or lower) here if the humidity is low.  That's why it gets so cold because of massive radiational cooling.  The good thing is that it's usually too dry to form condensation/frost on anything except grass and cars and roof tops...hopefully not my plants....know what I'm sayin'!  Ahhh it's cold...I'm losing my brain....save yourselves....go on without me...

Hello?

Palmy

Whew, Its going to rain tonight. It was 32F earlier tonight but then it warmed up in approach of the warm front. I was scared, for a minute I though it may snow.

BS Man about Palms

(MattyB @ Dec. 21 2006,00:17)

Bill, we need an intervention to get you going on your house.  123 not it.

Jack, was the LA 39F taken at the Airport in Santa Monica or Downtown?  Well, I guess that's cold for either location, huh?

As far as frost goes:  What I've noticed over the past 4 years is that it usually only gets into the frost zone (about 37F or lower) here if the humidity is low.  That's why it gets so cold because of massive radiational cooling.  The good thing is that it's usually too dry to form condensation/frost on anything except grass and cars and roof tops...hopefully not my plants....know what I'm sayin'!  Ahhh it's cold...I'm losing my brain....save yourselves....go on without me...

Hello?

Hey! I got a call this morning that my stucco guy will get underway next Thursday.  Hooray!!  :D

epicure3

No as bad last night. 40 degrees was the low in my garden.

Neofolis

Bill I have a similar problem.  My house was built in 1895 and is uninsulated and whilst I have full gas central heating, it takes two days to warm the house up and even then, if it is really cold outisde it's still cold inside.  The temperature in my study bottomed out at 5.4°C/41.7°F at 05:45 this morning.  I am in the process of addressing the insulation issue, but I have been working on my front room for 11 years now, so the whole house is currently looking about another 110 years from completion.

STEVE IN SO CAL

(Neofolis @ Dec. 21 2006,11:38)

Bill I have a similar problem.  My house was built in 1895 and is uninsulated and whilst I have full gas central heating, it takes two days to warm the house up and even then, if it is really cold outisde it's still cold inside.  The temperature in my study bottomed out at 5.4°C/41.7°F at 05:45 this morning.  I am in the process of addressing the insulation issue, but I have been working on my front room for 11 years now, so the whole house is currently looking about another 110 years from completion.

Wow..1895...no wonder it's so cold inside, it hasn't warmed up since the last ice age  :P

(just kidding Corey..I like old-timey...when I remodeled my kitchen, I spent lots of money making it LOOK like it was built in 1895)

STEVE IN SO CAL

Same o same o this a/m...too depressed to go look, though. Stayed in and drank coffee. Monday it starts warming up...we'll see.

MattyB

Thurs. 12-21-06 Low of 39F in the L.G.  That's not too bad.  Since it's warming up, maybe I can grow Cyrtostachys renda.

iwan

LOW  26.1F, sometime between 0200-0400.  Wind and cloud cover in and out starting around 0200.  Weather service showed lowest temps around 0200 and 0500, but the temp at sunrise was 31.1F here.

Hope we are done for for the winter.

Don Little

40's at night never sounded so good.  Fortunately 35 was the coldest I experienced during this spell and still no frosts for 2 straight years.  Last year it got down to 33 once so if this is as cold as it gets then I'll feel ok.  Good news everyone, today is officialy the shortest day of the year and I believe the first day of winter, so that means longer days, closer to spring and warmer temps around the corner or so I hope.  Highs for much of the week will be 70's and lows in the mid to upper 40's.

BS Man about Palms

Don - I couldn't resist because I know some folks that give ME grief.....  The days WILL NOT be longer, they will still be 24 hours long, but there will be more minutes of DAYLIGHT.   :D

PS- can I order up some early global warming?

happ

(MattyB @ Dec. 21 2006,03:17)

The recording was taken at LAX but both Santa Monica [not the pier] & downtown LA normally observe a few nights each winter below 40F.  I recorded 38F last March that did a number on a michelia. :o