IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

December 18-19 2006

ghar41

Ok folks....here we go.  This is looking like the real deal.  I am showing a reading of 38.6 in a protected area and it's only 10pm.

I think mid 20's will settle in here tonight.

My Rhapidophylums say "Bring it on, BABY!"

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Saved by the wind?  I hope so, and hope it keeps up.  Within the last half hour a breeze has picked up and temps have gone up more than 3F in the last hour.

2000  30.2  36.9

2100  27.4 32.6

2200  27.9 33.7

2230  30.8 35.8

As in my previous post, the second number is measured in the crown of my protected A. cunninghamiana.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

35.5 at 11pm.  It's dropped 3 degrees in one hour!  Ahhhhhh!!!

This is in a protected area!  

Excuse me, I've got a bottle of scotch that needs my attention!

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Set the alarm for 5:30 to see whats up this morning. WOW its cold!  38F in my unheated greenhouse! I had 30F up front by the street and 35F at the back. No frost, but I watered down all the fronds anyway, its pretty dry now.

Brrrrrr from Oceanside

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

At 7 AM and just getting daylight, it's 23.5 F in an exposed area by my Parajubaea, TVT, the Bismarkia and the Butia X Parajubaea.  This is the coldest it's been at my place in Walnut Creek in 8 years.  I'm sure there will be damage as everything is white with frost.  We have been wanting to cold test some of the Parajubaeas and the hybrids....I guess we are getting it! My rainwater buckets have a little over 1/8" of ice covering them.

Below 25F the large Parajubaea cocoides will show tip burn, but it has thin overhead protection so maybe only 25F back where it is and it's much larger than the last time we had a hard freeze.  I'm sure the Caryota urens will have black spots, or worse, and maybe a Wallichia densiflora might bite the dust, but it's one we have been wanting to cold test.  This is just about the minimum for Rhapis too.....and I have a lot outside under lathe with some protection.

My cannas and Elephant ears bit the dust yesterday morning but the palm damage wont show for a week or so....

This is really getting nasty....this winter.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Good lawd......30F for Oceanside, CA is ridiculous.  

I actually had to go check weatherunderground for stations in that area and sure enough there are 30's all over the place.  Even the statioons right near the beach in SD are showing 33-35F.  Some inland areas seem to be in the middle 20's.

It looks like the forecast has 4-5 more nights of 30's as well :(

You guys can keep this stuff bottled up out there for awhile OK?

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Coldest night since in 2 years at my house as well. 37 degrees on both thermometers as the low. Tonight will also be cold but the tems, daytime and nighttime will warm up by Thursday and we'll get back to normal for the forseeable future.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

My high/low thermometer is showing a low of 22.3 F out in the middle of my front yard, the coldest spot on my property.  Pretty sure I lost my Allagoptera (small) out front.

Outside of my greenhouse in the back was 29.3 F.

Inside?  Cost me a fortune but 56F!

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

23.5 at 7:30 am

22.3 the low on my high/low thermometer.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Got to 36.1 in the coldest part of my yard last night but good news is that it will warm up tremendously tonight to a muggy 38

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

33.1F in the L.G. this morning.  Ice on car windshield and very little dusting on the lowest grass.  This is a normal winter for me so far (see my signature)

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

As I reported in the NorCal thread, my lowest reading in my apparently protected location was 30F.  I'm feeling lucky.   Can't believe how low some of you guys got.

San Francisco Bay Area, California

Zone 10a

68f here at 7 in the morning, it's gonna be tough  :)

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Yer a stinker Wal!  I'm having a hard time typing today.  My hands are stiff. :(

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Sorry reading about the damage in NoCal.  Once again, only San Francisco and areas right on the Pacific stayed above 30's.  I was raised in the Central valley [Fresno/Chico] and recall regular frost & even puddle ice, on occasion.  As a budding weather cadet I loved it  :P  

Drove up into the Sacramento valley over Thanksgiving holiday & was surprized by so many queen palms.  Can these trees handle sub-freezing temps?   ???

This is a cold event but nothing to compare with 1990, at least in SoCal.  30's widespread in the valleys & even some coastal cities.  This is not good for tender plants   :o

Locally LA basin/foothills remained in the 40's & tomorrow night could be colder.  40's/low 50's by weekend.  Looks like low 70's Xmas   :D

Minimums LA Basin :

AVALON HARBOR :  42

GETTY CENTER : 44

LAX  :  39  

DOWNTOWN/USC : 42

MALIBU : 46

REDONDO BEACH : 37

SANTA MONICA PIER : 44

UCLA : 43

Cold & damaging a bit.  Wonder if bethel nut will survive?   ???

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Wow!

you guys can definetly keep that stuff over there for a few more weeks....

Looking at history from last night, Im surprised at how cold yall got!

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

Average Annual Rainfall 43.5"

(galveston1602 @ Dec. 19 2006,17:45)

Looking at history from last night, Im surprised at how cold yall got!

Looks like many areas dropped below their average zone ratings...but if low 30's were as low as it ever got here, Id be OK with that :D

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(happ @ Dec. 19 2006,17:44)

Drove up into the Sacramento valley over Thanksgiving holiday & was surprized by so many queen palms.  Can these trees handle sub-freezing temps?   ???

Answer: Yes!  We have a lot of queens around here (I have a couple myself), and we get freezing temperatures every year (mid-upper 20s).  As long as they don't go below the low 20s for extended periods the queens will be fine.  Below the low 20s or extended cold  in the 20s is really iffy for queens, lower 20s will cosmetically damage some weaker/newly planted ones.  Big established ones are good to 18 or 19F.

(happ @ Dec. 19 2006,17:44)

This is a cold event but nothing to compare with 1990, at least in SoCal.  30's widespread in the valleys & even some coastal cities.  This is not good for tender plants   :o

Yes, Queen palms ARE everywhere here in the valley.    They do hang in there quite well.  Grow so incredibly fast, a large one can be tough to kill if it is healthy.  Thing is, many are Nitrogen and micronutrient deficient and will struggle massively after this and through the summer.

I agree with you about the 1990 event.  This system allows temps to warm above 50 F here during the day.  The 1990 nightmare differed largely from this one BECAUSE it barely reached a high of 36 F here on a couple of those days (19 F lows.)  36 F isnt warm enough to allow for a thaw.  This one is definately thawing out daily.  HUGE DIFFERENCE

We'll survive this one.  Although I have to chuckle as I drive around town and see all of the "King" palms (this past summers landscaping fad)  planted by well meaning folks, in the middle of their yards!

March will yield the skeletal remains.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Wow did it get cold this morning. We got to 23.6F this morning. This is the 5th time we have bottomed out in the 20's this year. This is one for the books in my neighborhood. I have damage showing up. Even the Queen is having some dots show up. We got to a high of 49 here but tomorrow it will be in the upper 50's. I left to go to the store at around 2PM and some of the shady spots still had quite a bit of frost and ice.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

It's been interesting reading all of your comments on this latest blast of cold, taking temps above ground, overhead protection, etc.  Give or take a few 10th of a degree, looks like the most exposed places got down to 23F.and a few degrees warmer in air drained areas or with some overhead protection.  This is for east of the Oakland Hills as I'm sure it didn't get that cold on the Bay side.

It will take several weeks until damage will show up on many of the palms, but in a few weeks it will be interesting to hear your reports on various palms, or perhaps you have some already showing damage.

I didn't cover any of my palms growing in the ground, but I brought all of my tender stuff inside, or under the cover of an overhang.  Three palms I particularly wanted to cold test are Parajubaea T v T, Bismarkia, and the Butia X Parajubaea.  These three are growing in my most exposed area and I recorded 23.5F near them.  They all have been covered with thick, white frost several times this winter, and so far, I see no apparent damage.  Time will tell.

Looks like rain is expected today and the warming effect of cloud cover.  It's a balmy 38.5F here this morning.  My temp. readings always seem to be a couple of degrees cooler than the offical WX temps for Walnut Creek.  Good luck all.

Dick

Richard Douglas

I forgot to mention that my garden guy went Canna crazy in the last couple of years, and I went Alocasia dippy (Alocasia macrorrhiza, Elephant ears). They are planted all over my garden, the Alocasia's with overhead protection from cold and the summer sun.  The Alocasia's have come through winter the last 2 or 3 years with no damage, and Sunset says they are good down to 29F.

This latest cold snap has turned them all black, with overhead protection or not, so that means it was below 29 through out the garden.  I didn't have a thermometer in my most protected area, but I suspect it got down to 25 or 26 F. there.

I have a good sized Parajubaea cocoides growing in a protected area, and from past experience, I know it shows tip damage below 25. If I see damage there, I will know it went below 25F.  Often, the more tender companion plants growing near the palms are a good indicator of what to expect later with the palms.

Incidently, if you want an almost instant tropical look to your palm garden, add the two species I mentioned.  I particularly like C. tropicana as the foliage is brightly colored as well as having pretty orange flowers in the summer. Even if cut to the ground by cold, they come back in the spring.

Dick

Richard Douglas

(Wal @ Dec. 19 2006,16:10)

68f here at 7 in the morning, it's gonna be tough  :)

Oh, yeah, wait till the next cyclone . . . .

Fingers stiff, too, ouch!

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave, Thanks for the wind/ water advice!

Wow! the wind is really bad all of a sudden! At least 50

MPH, potted stuff knocked over :angry:  along with chairs etc. Bamboo's a' blowin'.

Where did this come from? and that rain early this AM? Crazy!

Come spring come!

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18